SPL XII - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
I'm genuinely impressed by the lack of interest and laziness being perpetrated in this thread. These Gen Z kids are seriously in desperate need of learning how to do shit for themselves instead of whining for people to hand them things for no reason. If you wanna watch an SPL match, you can: 1) be online on smogtours to see it live; 2) look up the replay in the replay thread once its updated; 3) look up players' nicknames on replay.pokemonshowdown.com and find the replays for yourselves if none of the first two were enough. It is extremely simple to watch whatever game you feel like watching. There is no trouble whatsoever.

But somehow these people are so lazy that they would actually prefer to CREATE A RULE to obligate all SPL players to take their time just to hand over their replays to spectators. What? I can't even begin to imagine that people could be serious when they suggest that posting replays should be mandatory for players in a tournament where every single fucking replay is gonna be available and public the minute the replay thread is updated. But no. There are actual lazy enough people out there who actually think it's more reasonable that people are forced into posting replays than having them take 5 fucking seconds of their time to look up something that is EXCLUSIVELY IN THEIR OWN INTEREST. LOL.

Now this "MJ" fella actually said (this isn't a joke, he actually said this verbatim) "you also cant look up their username on replays because almost everyone uses some alt nowadays". If you just took like 5 seconds of your goddamn time to look up the replays from weeks 1 and 2 you'd see that this statement is COMPLETELY, ABSOLUTELY false. In fact, there are FIFTY games every week in SPL, which means ONE HUNDRED different players. Out of ALL THE GAMES played week 1, SEVENTY FIVE players played under their main alts. How do people actually have the nerve to pull up to this thread to say "almost everyone uses some alt nowadays" when literally 75% (seventy five percent) of the players played under their main alts? Hello?

And this is excluding players who have always played under known alts in the past. Everyone knows Golden Sun always plays under february stars. Rozes always plays under kaladin. Insult always plays under James. I didn't even include known alts in my counting. If I did, you'd see that 93% of players actually played under their actual nicknames/most known alts. Which leaves a whopping SEVEN players that played under unknown alts. And, in fact, that would leave only ONE GAME where you wouldn't be able to find the replay if you searched for both the players' main nicknames, which was TC vs hyogafodex (hermestrismegistos vs. daddy you are home), a match you shouldn't be looking up anyway, not only because it's GSC but also because it's TC vs hyogafodex.

So the way I see it, if you guys are so desperate to watch SPL games (they really aren't impressive at all so idk what the fuss is about), be online to watch them or fucking look them up yourselves. I think this post made it crystal clear that this is NOT HARD. If you'd rather be whining here for no reason I sincerely recommend you go back to kindergarten because that's where you belong.

Last edited:

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
I'm genuinely impressed by the lack of interest and laziness being perpetrated in this thread. These Gen Z kids are seriously in desperate need of learning how to do shit for themselves instead of whining for people to hand them things for no reason. If you wanna watch an SPL match, you can: 1) be online on smogtours to see it live; 2) look up the replay in the replay thread once its updated; 3) look up players' nicknames on replay.pokemonshowdown.com and find the replays for yourselves if none of the first two were enough. It is extremely simple to watch whatever game you feel like watching. There is no trouble whatsoever.

But somehow these people are so lazy that they would actually prefer to CREATE A RULE to obligate all SPL players to take their time just to hand over their replays to spectators. What? I can't even begin to imagine that people could be serious when they suggest that posting replays should be mandatory for players in a tournament where every single fucking replay is gonna be available and public the minute the replay thread is updated. But no. There are actual lazy enough people out there who actually think it's more reasonable that people are forced into posting replays than having them take 5 fucking seconds of their time to look up something that is EXCLUSIVELY IN THEIR OWN INTEREST. LOL.

Now this "MJ" fella actually said (this isn't a joke, he actually said this verbatim) "you also cant look up their username on replays because almost everyone uses some alt nowadays". If you just took like 5 seconds of your goddamn time to look up the replays from weeks 1 and 2 you'd see that this information is COMPLETELY, ABSOLUTELY false. In fact, there are FIFTY games every week in SPL, which means ONE HUNDRED different players. Out of ALL THE GAMES played week 1, SEVENTY FIVE players played under their main alts. How do people actually have the nerve to pull up to this thread to say "almost everyone uses some alt nowadays" when literally 75% (seventy five percent) of the players played under their main alts? Hello?

And this is excluding players who have always played under known alts in the past. Everyone knows Golden Sun always plays under february stars. Rozes always plays under kaladin. Insult always plays under James. I didn't even include known alts in my counting. If I did, you'd see that 93% of players actually played under their actual nicknames/most known alts. Which leaves a whopping SEVEN players that played under unknown alts. And, in fact, that would leave only ONE GAME where you wouldn't be able to find the replay if you searched for both the players' main nicknames, which was TC vs hyogafodex (hermestrismegistos vs. daddy you are home), a match you shouldn't be looking up anyway, not only because it's GSC but also because it's TC vs hyogafodex.

So the way I see it, if you guys are so desperate to watch SPL games (they really aren't impressive at all so idk what the fuss is about), be online to watch them or fucking look them up yourselves. I think this post made it crystal clear that this is NOT HARD. If you'd rather be whining here for n o reason I sincerely recommend you go back to kindergarten because that's where you belong.
dadc

hs

Banned deucer.

Now this "MJ" fella actually said (this isn't a joke, he actually said this verbatim) "you also cant look up their username on replays because almost everyone uses some alt nowadays". If you just took like 5 seconds of your goddamn time to look up the replays from weeks 1 and 2 you'd see that this information is COMPLETELY, ABSOLUTELY false. In fact, there are FIFTY games every week in SPL, which means ONE HUNDRED different players. Out of ALL THE GAMES played week 1, SEVENTY FIVE players played under their main alts. How do people actually have the nerve to pull up to this thread to say "almost everyone uses some alt nowadays" when literally 75% (seventy five percent) of the players played under their main alts? Hello?

So the way I see it, if you guys are so desperate to watch SPL games (they really aren't impressive at all so idk what the fuss is about), be online to watch them or fucking look them up yourselves. I think this post made it crystal clear that this is NOT HARD. If you'd rather be whining here for no reason I sincerely recommend you go back to kindergarten because that's where you belong.
falou muito mas falou muita merda. meus parabens

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

bro shouldn't you be playing dice rn

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Imagine checking the replays from the actual results reporting thread... Way to get spoiled dumbasses. Here is how I actually do it:

1) Open Discord and check the alerts in the Tournament server
2) Scroll down until I find the link of the game when it started
3) Copy-paste the gen#ou-####### part of the link
4) Open a replay from said gen and manually edit the number to the SPL game I'm looking for
5) Enjoy my unspoiled SPL action

Works on phone but need precision or memory.

I get the rule and agree with the TD decision, but saying you don’t have time to play a game and then going through the process of clicking 50 replays, keeping track of the number of main names, known alt names, and unknown alts, calculating all the stats, and then writing a long post about it, all before the deadline seems kinda lame, but I don’t know the situation so I can’t really say.

and to address the argument, it’s usually easy to find replays, but it’s even easier to post a replay. I definitely don’t think it should be “required,” but I also don’t see a good reason for players not to post them. So TY to those who do <3

^^btw the McM strat is actually a good idea

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I get the rule and agree with the TD decision, but saying you don’t have time to play a game and then going through the process of clicking 50 replays, keeping track of the number of main names, known alt names, and unknown alts, calculating all the stats, and then writing a long post about it, all before the deadline seems kinda lame, but I don’t know the situation so I can’t really say.
It's possible to be online but not available to play; if I'm browsing Firebot while I'm on my 20 minute bus ride to class, it's safe to say that I'm not available despite the fact that I'm online. I could even be on Pokemon Showdown and still technically not be available to play because I'm unsure of if the game will be over within 20 minutes, and it goes without saying that if it doesn't, I lose by default (or I skip class or something, which is hardly ideal).

There's any number of circumstances that might preclude a player from playing their match even if they're online (in this specific case, the claim is traveling) and honestly, it's not a good idea to incentivize people to share personal details for favorable activity because a) well that's weird and b) we have no idea if any of that is actually true and no way of checking. So, the solution is to have players communicate their unavailability and generally take their word for it. This has its limits, but we (the hosts) don't believe that those limits have been crossed in Elodin vs Dice.

In this case, Elodin communicated that he would be travelling over the weekend, implying that the weekend would not be available. Had this not aligned at all with Dice's schedule, they would've approached the hosts to resolve the conflict (ex a force sub or a force double sub, depending on the situation). But that's not what happened here; they agreed on Friday 6 PM GMT-5. Dice missed the time, no substitute was provided, and then we entered a time block of pre-established unavailability on Elodin's end. There was no reason to substitute Elodin out, and he was unavailable to play through the deadline. Because Dice missed the time and Tigers refused to substitute someone in despite having the chance, the game was not completed, hence activity being awarded to Elodin.

It should be noted that the activity decision is not an endorsement of Elodin's actions near the deadline, which is how it's being read by some people. I thought the post and its timing were fairly ridiculous and I expressed as much in the host PM, to Rey, and in the spl channel. I would agree that it's pretty lame, but at the same time it's not sufficient to overturn the fact that the Tyrants followed all the guidelines for eligibility for activity.

It's possible to be online but not available to play; if I'm browsing Firebot while I'm on my 20 minute bus ride to class, it's safe to say that I'm not available despite the fact that I'm online. I could even be on Pokemon Showdown and still technically not be available to play because I'm unsure of if the game will be over within 20 minutes, and it goes without saying that if it doesn't, I lose by default (or I skip class or something, which is hardly ideal).

There's any number of circumstances that might preclude a player from playing their match even if they're online (in this specific case, the claim is traveling) and honestly, it's not a good idea to incentivize people to share personal details for favorable activity because a) well that's weird and b) we have no idea if any of that is actually true and no way of checking. So, the solution is to have players communicate their unavailability and generally take their word for it. This has its limits, but we (the hosts) don't believe that those limits have been crossed in Elodin vs Dice.

In this case, Elodin communicated that he would be travelling over the weekend, implying that the weekend would not be available. Had this not aligned at all with Dice's schedule, they would've approached the hosts to resolve the conflict (ex a force sub or a force double sub, depending on the situation). But that's not what happened here; they agreed on Friday 6 PM GMT-5. Dice missed the time, no substitute was provided, and then we entered a time block of pre-established unavailability on Elodin's end. There was no reason to substitute Elodin out, and he was unavailable to play through the deadline. Because Dice missed the time and Tigers refused to substitute someone in despite having the chance, the game was not completed, hence activity being awarded to Elodin.

It should be noted that the activity decision is not an endorsement of Elodin's actions near the deadline, which is how it's being read by some people. I thought the post and its timing were fairly ridiculous and I expressed as much in the host PM, to Rey, and in the spl channel. I would agree that it's pretty lame, but at the same time it's not sufficient to overturn the fact that the Tyrants followed all the guidelines for eligibility for activity.
Yeah you’re good. I agree with the TD decision. Not trying to blame Elodin either cause I don’t know the situation. Just a little sad I didn’t get to see my favorite BWer play, especially in this highlight matchup

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
I managed to catch ABR vs TDK. I also caught Gorgie vs Conflict and TC vs Zokuru and those will be up within due time. Hope you enjoy.

Also, if you would like to help me co-narrate other tiers, shoot me a message on Smogon or Discord (Taiga#2991). Only requirements are that you know the metagame well, have a reasonable mic, and can speak English decently.

imagine trying not playing one game of pokemon for an entire week, now that is laziness

You obviously have no idea how much callous has done for old gens.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
I managed to catch ABR vs TDK. I also caught Gorgie vs Conflict and TC vs Zokuru and those will be up within due time. Hope you enjoy.

Also, if you would like to help me co-narrate other tiers, shoot me a message on Smogon or Discord (Taiga#2991). Only requirements are that you know the metagame well, have a reasonable mic, and can speak English decently.
As promised, here is TC vs Zokuru! I was very tired throughout yesterday with a mild headache so I apologise if I seem a little off.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm genuinely impressed by the lack of interest and laziness being perpetrated in this thread. These Gen Z kids are seriously in desperate need of learning how to do shit for themselves instead of whining for people to hand them things for no reason.
As already subtly stated by Icequake, not copypasting the link from a window you the player already have open when you go to post your win in the weekly thread is the real laziness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)