ORAS NU Sry, I'm late

DnB

#DnB4608, its way easier on discord :>
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hy guys, it’s me :]

After my break I got back into mons, especially NU again and this is the team I had the most fun and success with. I built it during the Tauros Suspect. After I got the reqs in like 2-3 hours I was bored and wanted to build a team about a cool core. Luckily I found the NU Matchmaking Reinvigorated Thread in the forums and they were just discussing a partner for SD Combusken and I found out, that Special Poliwrath fits really good to it.

Why Sorry Im late?

Just a great tune with a fitting title for the RMT, after my break ;]

Playing mons got boring last year, but I’ve found a way to enjoy it again: Using fun sets or even memes. Every team I have has at least 1 meme or at least unused Set in it. Well, to be honest, this team isn’t a great example, the most uncommon Set is my SD Thunder Punch Combusken :[

A great partner for it is Poliwrath, because they take care of each other switch ins. Skuntank is my answer to Ghost/Psychic types, that can stop my double fighting core. Manectric was next, as I needed something to switch around and pressure water types. I still needed Rocks and then I thought about my BW2 NU times, where Golurk was just amazing, but nowadays you rarely see it on the ladder, although it’s still pretty good. Mesprit was the last mon: I was really weak to Malamar and needed another Wallbreaker and Mesprit just seemed fitting to me.

✌(◉ヮ◉ ) (Combusken) @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Thunder Punch

Combusken is the star of the team. After the Speedpass ban I thought that this would be the end for the chicken, but to be honest, it’s still pretty strong. I chose a rather unknown moveset in SD Thunder Punch, without Protect. Why? Everyone still thinks the same about Combusken (and many people still use the same sets): Protect. I don’t need Protect, because my opponent will predict it for me. Almost every time I bring in Combusken, my opponent will switch out to his check and hopes that I just press Protect, while I just SD up and win the game.
Thunder Punch is really strong on Combusken: It beats its main switch ins Mantine and Pelipper and is in general a cool move to use, when the opposing mon isn’t fat enough for Low Kick and you don’t want to take recoil from Flare Blitz.
Combusken acts as my late game cleaner. 1 SD is enough to win, when the opposing team is weakened and thanks to its decent bulk with Evio, I can still live some hits. Combusken works, because most times don’t prepare for it and when they do, they rely on their Water Type, which just gets bopped by TPunch. And yea, I was not mentioning Lanturn, as that is a complete different story :[

\(°▃° \ ) (Poliwrath) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 228 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature

- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave
- Earthquake

Poliwrath is my partner for Combusken. It’s just a great mon in general, although it isn’t that powerful, its hits still hurt. Also, it lures in Lanturn, which I can burn with Scald or do a decent amount with EQ, which prepares my sweep with Combusken. Poli is in general a really underrated mon. Of course, a Spatk stat of 70 isn’t threatening at all, but if you combine it with a move like Scald that has a high chance of burn, it can rack up damage really fast, also it’s bulky af. I'm not using Polis stronger Stabs Focus Blast and Hydro Pump, just because I hate missing with them. I rather do less Damage but have the chance to get a burn with Scald than doing more damage but miss 30% of the time. Ice Beam is here for Vileplume, which can be annoying for my team, Combusken can beat it, but getting Effect Spored is not funny when you're ready to sweep. EQ is here to hit Lanturn, which is one of the best Checks to my Combusken, because it's way too light for Low Kick. EQ does ~30-40%, also add Rocks Damage and Lanturn gets worn down really quick.

(҂`◇´҂) (Skuntank) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 224 Atk / 132 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Skuntank is probably my most used mon in NU. It’s just so good, especially the standard physical set, which no one uses anymore. I know, physical Skun can’t hurt Ferro, Steelix or Rhydon, but it gets at least 1 kill per game with Sucker + Pursuit, being able to revengekill opposing Psychic/Ghost Types like Rotom, Mismagius or Jynx, which are just everywhere. I chose PJab over Crunch, so I don’t get swept by CM Mega Audino or Clefairy, which would otherwise just destroy my team. Taunt is a really important move, being able to stop your opponent from using status moves can win you games. Skun can deny hazards, recovery and set-up moves. Also, many people think that I’m using Defog over Taunt, so they won’t expect it as easily. Lum is in my opinion the best Item for physical Skun. It’s my answer to Jynx/Vivillon and Lilligant, which all like to use Sleep Powder but get straight up destroyed by Poison Jab.

(✿ ¬‿¬) (Golurk) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

No one is using Golurk anymore, I don’t know why :[
It’s still a really strong in the tier, especially now, when more and more people start to drop Ice Punch on Hitmonchan for Stone Edge or Thunder Punch. Golurk sets up Rocks mid game and hits for massive Damage with its base 124 Atk stat. EdgeQuake hits everything in the tier for at least neutral damage, while Dynamic Punch forces my opponents to switch or risk getting hit by confusion, this move is just not fair, but I like to use it, because Fighting is a type that is easily spamable in the tier, since all played Ghost Types have poor Defense stats and often can’t risk to come in on an potential Shadow Punch (or even Stone Edge). I’ve been thinking about really using Shadow Punch on Lurk over Stone Edge, but I need a Rock Move to hit incoming Mantine/Pelippers, that try to Defog. Colbur is just the best Item in the Tier for Ghost/Psychic Types, being able to just “surprisingly” live a Knock Off/Sucker Punch from Shiftry/Skuntank and KO them back is just too good.

( ̄ヮ ̄ 。) (Manectric) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA

- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I don’t know why I chose Manectric on this spot and not something else. I’ve been too lazy to test out other Electric Types, but I liked Mane so far. It’s way stronger than Zebstrika, but gets outsped by Tauros, Floatzel and Archeops, which are slower than Zebstrika. I’ve never been a fan of Life Orb on Mons like Manectric, that like to VSwitch around all game. EBelt does almost the same job, but helps me to fake a Scarf/Specs set, which many opponents expect after seeing no recoil. I play really ballsy with Manectric, I rarely switch out on opposing Rhydons/Steelix, because they all will just click Rocks while I bop them with a super effective move and just 2HKO them, which makes it even easier for Combusken to sweep, since it can’t set up on these kind of rocks setters.

( っ T~T)っ*:・゚✧ (Mesprit) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Energy Ball

Finding a mon for the last spot was really hard. I just went with Mesprit, because it’s just a great mon that can fit in so many roles. I chose a rather underrated Moveset in 3 Attacks CM with Colbur. I needed something to beat Malamar and well, that’s what Mesprit does. It’s also my 2nd wincon, if Combusken can’t sweep. Mesprit doesn’t really need the CM boosts, but it’s always nice just CM up on an incoming check and suddenly you 2HKO him. Colbur gives me again the ability to live any hit from Dark Types and KO them back (except Skuntank, which still takes a good amount from Signal Beam). I chose Energy Ball as the last move to hit all kinds of Water Types, that can be annoying for my team, especially Gastrodon which can Switch in on 3-4 ouf of my 6 mons. In general, Mesprit is just here to weaken my opponents team with all its Coverage and making the sweep for Combusken easier.

http://pastebin.com/X7mP5N09

Well, that was the team. I guess, it's more a team for tournaments than for ladder, because it has many weaknesses and kinda needs the suprise factor to catch an opponent off guard with my Movesets. I haven't used this team much after the Gurdurr/Trev drops, but both seem kinda threatening for my team.
I mostly used the team on the Tauros Suspect Ladder, got up to 3000 Coil with it and an insane winrate. I laddered up to ~1580 Elo before dropping my first game.

The team also got used in tournaments (Roomtours, NU Open) and I had decent sucess with it, in Roomtours I always reached at least the Semifinals, before losing twice to Shadestep :[

Shoutouts:

I hope you liked my RMT. I'm open for any suggestions :]

Last edited:

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Combusken/Poliwrath/Skuntank/Golurk/Manetric/Mesprit

Hey man pretty cool team and its using a lot of underated sets like SD combusken, the only huge threat I see with the team is the archeops weakness and also a lack of a ice resist so I recomend switching golurk for miltank. This mon provides a pretty solid ice resist, another fire resist(thing that your team also lacks) rocks and even speed control for mesprit to put in more work, its also a great check for archeops and tauros. Miltank also likes the fact that you can pursuit trap xatu and all the team support it has.
Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Milk Drink

Tl;dr
>

Hope I helped you out and good luck with team :]

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why not a Rash or Mild Poliwrath? By not using a negative nature, you will do more to Lanturn with EQ and actually have a good chance to 2HKO after Rocks (even with its lefties).

Reactions: DnB
Why not a Rash or Mild Poliwrath? By not using a negative nature, you will do more to Lanturn with EQ and actually have a good chance to 2HKO after Rocks (even with its lefties).
actually life orb also guarantees 2hko on lanturn and it also helps to rk rain omastar and kabu

rash/mild hurts ability to first and foremost check mixed rott and other stuff

but on this team lefties is better because poliwrath is needed a LOT more for role compression

Reactions: DnB

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Rotom over Manectric gives you a leg up against Archeops and other fast mons and I think its typing and ability generally mesh better with your other teammates, mostly with giving another soft Normal check and a check to Vivillon. Manectric's a pretty niche mon and idt it quite compliments this build the way some other picks could.

@ Choice Scarf | Levitate
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def | Timid
Volt Switch | Shadow Ball | Thunderbolt | Trick

It'd likely be worth looking into bulkier Stealth Rock setters as well. 0/0 Golurk seems a little too squishy for this team, especially when up against something like Tauros. You're pretty flexible in terms of solutions though. You can mess around with bulkier spreads on Golurk or try Rhydon in its place and experiment with alternating sets between it and Mesprit. But yeah it ultimately comes down to whatever works best in practice so I'll leave this part more ambiguous

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)