Suspect SS AAA Suspect Test #5: Noivern

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapt

the unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley
is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Screenshot 2021-05-09 at 11.04.17 AM.png

Confirming as NAAA idk
s/o to stresh's excellent mglo arcanine team

I will be voting ban on Noivern because of its ability to win games almost off of team preview. It's the ability to break through so many checks and pivot out to another mon is very valuable to its team and its offensive potential makes it almost necessary to be running something like elecvally, rockvally or nihilego. As Think mentioned in the OP, the vally's have trouble dealing with other special attackers, despite being one of noivern's best counters. In my opinion, that's a sign of an unhealthy mon. It mandates a defensive answer and that answer cannot always deal with other high-powered special attackers.

In this thread, the main AAA thread and the OM discord, I've seen some discussion about other threats such as genesect, blacephalon, and weavile. I'll give my opinions on each of them here.
Genesect: I've seen arguments saying that genesect can simply autowin against an unprepared team. I have to disagree with that statement because genesect doesn't become a game-winning threat until it gets at least 1 shift gear off, which can be difficult because of faster mons coming in to threaten it as well as, depending on the set, defensive mons walling it easily. However, I think with noivern, (hopefully) leaving the tier, genesect may become more of an issue due to losing some of its offensive counterplay. I would be interested in a suspect test to see how it fares if noivern is banned but at the moment I don't think it is banworthy.
Blacephalon: As Think and QT mentioned in their posts in the AAA thread, blacephalon is incredibly powerful and surprisingly durable because of its use of magic guard. However, it is not without its weaknesses. If it is not carrying psyshock, it gets blocked relatively easily by blissey and nihilego. In terms of offensive counterplay, it is OHKO'd by a +2 max attack horn leech from tapu bulu.
Weavile: This is honestly one of the strongest mons in AAA, especially considering its ability to run multiple sets. In the AAACCAT, I believe it used band technician beat up, it can use mglo which is the best set in my opinion, and I'm sure there are other sets. However, it has some pretty good counters such as tapu fini, which is very common, body press skarm, and some corviknights depending on the set of the corv and the weavile.

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks for reading :)

xavgb

:xavgb:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
1620591321815.png

Team used: https://pokepast.es/240ed0d152582612 (ladder uses way too much drum kommo-o...)

I think I'm looking to vote ban on this one, The Number Man and Heracross2.0 pretty much covered most of my thoughts on Noivern and the current meta respectively (though I think Noivern can fit on at least some solid teams and also think that the meta's in a pretty decent spot overall despite some frustrating restrictions). Noivern demanding AV Regen or Blissey on like every team is rough with the amount of adaptation the rest of the meta manages against these mons, so I think its departure would definitely be a net positive for teambuilding at least.

Last edited:
Confirming as NAAAtNoibat
7ECF055B-6DF6-4546-A4A9-0067DC2F2A67.jpeg

Not entirely decided yet, but probably leaning ban. The pressure noivern puts on the builder is restricting, and using great noivern checks like elecvally/rockvally leaves you weaker to other threatening special attackers.

Fragments

Bound to burn
is a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Shoutouts to Quantum Tesseract for blocking me from getting reqs at 25 games, deciding "You know what? He hasn't suffered enough" and then beating me again at 28 games (all jokes QT is cool -- sometimes)
1620962452080.png

Thoughts on noivern: Yea nothing literally nothing there is radio static going through my head rn. I never really struggled against it but then again I was using weavile and triage togekiss so yea that doesn't mean much. My main gripe is how fat every team is to counter it so if it leads to less fat then yea ban the bat (rhyme not intended).

Edit: lph requested a shoutout for being the sole reason I stopped laddering one day cause he kept smacking me, ggs you cheeky devil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)