Project SS DOU Teambuilding Competition v.2 - Week 15: Diancie (Voting Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And with 4 votes, Paraplegic narrowly wins this week! Congratulations. And for week 8, we go from one type of weather to another.

:SS/politoed: :SS/pelipper:

Rain is a pretty interesting playstyle in Gen 8. Its not as strong as Gen 7, but it can still be a decent pick for some matchups. Zapdos and Tornadus can abuse rain very well with the combination of Hurricane and Weather Ball, while also being able to set Tailwind. Urshifu also likes its Water STAB getting boosted by the rain, making Surging Strikes an even more powerful move. And of course, Kingdra is the main rain abuser, firing off powerful attacks before any Pokemon in the metagame, thanks to Swift Swim.

Deadline for the building phase is on the 07/16 at 11:59 PM. EST

:sm/politoed::sm/kingdra::sm/genesect-douse::sm/tornadus::sm/rillaboom::sm/tsareena:
Politoed @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Helping Hand
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Protect

Genesect-Douse @ Douse Drive
Ability: Download
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Techno Blast
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball

Tsareena (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 240 HP / 8 Atk / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- U-turn
- Triple Axel
- High Jump Kick

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 36 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn
I liked Grandmas Cookin's idea of Genesect as a weather abuser since it practically has stab on its Techno Blast thanks to rain, and 100% accurate Thunder was also appeealing. So after the core of Politoed and Kingdra with the addition of Genesect, I decided my Hurricane and Tailwind setter would be Tornadus since it not only has Prankster for priority Tailwind, but it isn't outsped by Kart and can destroy it with LO Hurricane. Finally the 2 grass types of Rilla and Tsarenna fit well due to their support in either fake out support, or blocking priority, and both stopgap zera.

Last edited:

Mack Knife

Future 50th President
Perish in rain.

Politoed @ Eject Button
EVs: 124 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD / 124 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Helping Hand
- Perish Song
- Protect

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Hurricane
- Protect

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Substitute
- Protect

Genesect @ Assault Vest
Ability: Download
EVs: 12 Def / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Electroweb

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Steel Roller
- Stomping Tantrum
- Icy Wind
- Iron Head

Rillaboom @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Def / 104 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- u-turn
- Protect

Rain!! So poli and kingdra. Eject button is always the item, for me, since you can snap out rain quick, if you need to. Since iron defense komo has been annoying the hell out of me for like 3ish weeks, I want it on the team. Oh and perish song is always a fun move so why not throw that in there with a soundproof komo. AV gene and av meta have such great synergy with komo and work really good in the rain. Gene can speed control w/ e-web and meta can w/ icy wind. Monkey provides much needed utility with fake out, terrain for meta, and priority. A fun team to play overall. Oh and I had to look up if perish song was bounceable but then realized it doesn't really matter that it is not.

Last edited:

Noelle

Trying my best
is a Community Contributor
i'm already done with my team, and it looks like a lot of others are too, so here goes nothing:

:politoed: :kingdra: :genesect: :zapdos: :urshifu: :tsareena:
Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/d3fb9f774f04cbee

Rain isn't as fun to build as sand is. sand has a ton of cool mechanics that you can abuse in so many different ways. rain has swift swim. that's about it. but regardless, i tried. drivetacos pointed out a formula ofr sand teams (setter, abuser, broken mon (urshifu) prioblock, tailwind, steel type) and me, being the unoriginal trash builder i am, thought "hey, what if i did that but in rain?" and i ended up with this.

Politoed: physically defensive support because rillaboom. icy wind for speed control, scald because fini is near nonexistent at this point because, well, rillaboom, helping hand to help kingdra just barely get those kills that would normally be out of reach because of it's mediocre special attack and lack of a boosting move and protect because duh. i took 4 evs out of hp because of a calc i forgot, and that's about my thought process. in testing politoed ended up being little more than a rain bot, but that's just because i'm shit. i thought about damp rock for the item but i want politoed to survive for as long as possible because everything on this team needs or at least wants rain, so sitrus it is.

Kingdra: the go to rain abuser for gen 8 because of it's great defensive typing and good movepool, kingdra drops a draco on the competition and earns a spot on this team. it's set and evs are simple. life orb because i like protect, 252 252 4 for the evs because i suck at evs and that's about it. it's mainly here to drop a helping hand boosted draco on kyu b if it gets out of hand and hurricane things like kart and rilla after eating a grassy glide because water dragon is a broken typing.

Genesect: They say you're not supposed to have a favorite child. I, my friends, have a favorite child on this team, and if you have to ask who it is, you clearly haven't read the name of this team. Genesect bolt beams the competition and u turns it's way onto this team. i originally wanted genesect douse, but this team has more than enough water coverage and you can't really afford to run techno blast over any of these moves (except maybe iron head but i want stab) so expert belt it is. I've never used expert belt genesect, i'm more of a scarf kind of person, but expert belt boosted thunder be hittin different. This genesect is on a whole other level and i love it, it provides so much coverage and has such good stats i kinda had to include it. i also wanted to abuse rain halving fire damage, so it was either this or kartana, and this meta does not need more kartana

Zapdos: Little more than a punching bag on my cm fini team, zapdos shocks the competition, and it's thundering presence makes it a perfect fit for this team. The set and evs are simple, and zapdos fills the tailwind part of the formula while also being a powerful attacker with it's 2 stabs in thunder and hurricane.

Tsareena: (this one was tough, i couldn't think of a good intro for tsareena) The best priority blocker in the west, tsareena power whips the competition into shape (see what i did there?..... not funny, i know, but i tried) and (barely) earns it's very own spot on this team. Tsareena was originally rillaboom but i changed it last minute because priority blocking is fun. power whip for stab, triple axel because zygarde, taunt to stop trick room and u turn because yes, this team needs more u turn. i'm not entirely sure if the evs are efficient but they worked fine in testing, so i'm going with it

Urshifu: and finally, urshifu jets past the competition and , honestly it didn't even need to earn it's spot on this team, it showed up to tryouts 20 minutes late but immediately got in anyway. urshifu is kinda a no brainer on rain. cc and surging strikes for stab, aqua jet because my opponent isn't allowed to use priority but i am, and u turn becuase, y'know, i just felt like 2 pokemon with u turn wasn't enough, i needed a third one.

Ok, that's everything i think, sorry for the corny intros, that wasn't even supposed to be a thing, i just thought of them as i went and decided to do one for each pokemon. i'm gonna shut up about alolan raichu after this, after testing my team i kinda get why it's not used, but i'm keeping the team anyway because eventually, it has to get chosen..... right? anyway, bye

Meminger21

Lágrimas Ocultas
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
:sm/pelipper: :sm/genesect: :sm/kingdra: :sm/zapdos: :sm/tsareena: :sm/rillaboom:

:Pelipper: The main difference in this team is Pelipper. It has a better offensive presence with Hurricane and Weather Ball, but can't KO anything, which is really problematic.

:Genesect: Genesect is here because of Psyspam and Grass mons, like Kartana and Rillaboom. And it has Thunder.

:Kingdra: Kingdra is nice and has Hydro Pump instead of Hurricane because I don't trust Kingdra and sometimes you need to hit somethig specific, since Hydro Pump has 80% accuracy opposed to 72,25% of Muddy Water (hitting both targets) it's sometimes a safer option.

:Zapdos: Zapdos sets TW and has Thunder/Hurricane STAB, hitting basically everything. It's also good against the Grass-types.

:Tsareena: Tsareena CB can clean the game in the end and is nice against Fini and Urshifu, having priority on Grassy Glide.

:Rillaboom: Rillaboom sets the terrain and provides Fake Out.

FloristtheBudew

I'm just tired

polimish (Politoed) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 24 SpA / 48 SpD / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Earth Power
- Protect

mishdra (Kingdra) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Scald

vest mish (Scizor) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Technician
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Protect

goggles mish (Scrafty) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch

tapu mish (Tapu Koko) @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 216 HP / 84 Def / 112 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder
- Protect

mish 4 moves (Cresselia) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Icy Wind
- Ally Switch
- Protect

Been running this squad for last fortnight or so. Pretty happy with it so might as well share.

Toed is better atm imo due to better bulk and having an actual use other then hurricane spam. Pelipper offers so little with ground moves having zygarde as the main user and lacks speed or bulk to manage a tailwind role effectively. The spread lived kyurem-b adamant fusion bolt, since most are vest and I value living the hit to slow it down for the rest of the team to manage. It out speeds neutral nature base 95 at -1, and lives modest koko tbolt since the team doesnt have the best match up vs opposing tapu koko. Earth power is to improve volcanion match up as it's usually one of the hardest match ups.

Kingdra out speeds modest regieleki and then the rest is filler hp, it has standard specs set but scald since muddy water misses should be avoided unless necessary or you're in a position to handle misses.

Scizor out speeds base 110 at -2 (two icy winds) and allowed it to reliably out speed slower bulkier incineroars as it still hits for neutral with bug bite. Goggles helps with match ups around spore and rage powder redirection. Electric terrain is not something to keep on the field consistently.

Scrafty out speeds base 101 at -2 and over wise holds value in fake out, intimidate, fighting stab for ferrothorn and kartana, but the fourth move being an attacking move due to the item. Thunder punch again improves volcanion match up with the addition for electric terrain to assist in more power.

Tapu koko lives 252+ rillaboom grassy terrain wood hammer, out speeds base 110 and rest is in spa. Is general terrain swapper and thunder hitter in rain. Also adds flying and electric resist for the team!

Cresselia is the set I use mostly lately. Psychock kos 4 def nihilego and it out speeds base 110 at -1. Protect is useful for this team as most people assume protect less (hence nickname) and often double into cresselia as so few teams can hit it unless they have an incineroar.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
:moltres-galar: :pelipper: :marowak-alola: :kingdra: :rillaboom: :scizor:
Moltres-Galar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 240 HP / 144 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Fiery Wrath
- Agility
- Protect

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Weather Ball
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Hurricane

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Protect

Kingdra @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Protect

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 136 Atk / 36 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

Scizor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 196 Atk / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Tailwind
Moltres-Galar often has to settle for using Air Slash to avoid misses at the worst time, which is unfortunately quite weak. So, I decided to make a rain team since that would give it 100% accurate Hurricanes. Pelipper provides Tailwind support, which is more valuable to Moltres-Galar most of the time. Finally, to round it out, Zeraora and Zapdos are quite annoying to face, so I wanted a Lightning Rod ally and I settled on Marowak-A. It sits on Kartana, Zapdos, and Rillaboom, which are some major threats to rain, and can even OHKO some Kyurem-B sets with Low Kick. It definitely struggles with low speed and middling bulk, and it doesn't particularly want to sit in front of Zeraora for fear of Knock Off, but all in all it's a decent partner. Then I decided to stop trying so hard and added Kingdra and Rillaboom; the former to provide an actual rain sweeper and the latter to offer Fake Out support to Moltres-G and check Urshifu-R. Last, I wanted a check to Kyurem-B, a second Tailwind, and something that didn't fold too hard to Dragapult, so I went with Scizor. This set takes the hit from Urshifu-R and punishes with Rocky Helmet, punishes Kartana fairly effectively, and pivots for the rest of the team. All in all, it's not exactly a solid team, but it is lots of fun! All the rain teams so far have followed a very similar template, so I decided to try to be creative with a rain team. It's probably not very good, and I haven't tested it much yet, but I think it has some cool ideas and it offers a bit of variety.

Last edited:
TRIPLE WATER DOUBLE GRASS CRACKHEAD RAIN featuring choice band Tsareena
:sm/pelipper: :sm/kingdra: :sm/rillaboom: :sm/tsareena: :sm/urshifu-rapid-strike: :sm/registeel:
Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Tailwind
- Protect

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Protect

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Fake Out

Tsareena (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Power Whip
- Triple Axel
- High Jump Kick

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Amnesia
- Protect
I built this team for Shadow to use in DPL finals and we rolled with it until the last minute when zstrats tossed us another crackhead team. This is unironically the best rain team I've used this entire generation. And it's so fucking fun to use.

The basic idea of the team is to stack strong water types in rain, brute force your way through rain checks with Tsareena, and set up for an endgame with Registeel. This team has the potential to put pressure on the opponent from the very start of the game and never stop. It's also difficult to face, having to stare down immediate hyper offense threatening KOs every turn while also making sure to still have enough mons left at the end to beat Regi.

CB Tsareena is really the secret sauce of this team, picking up semi-surprise KOs on a lot of mons that are difficult for rain to beat. It OHKOs Zapdos and Rillaboom with triple axel, can do at least 90% to Zera and Volcanion with glide and whip respectively, OHKOs most Kyubes with high jump kick, and OHKOs fini in grassy terrain even after an intimidate. Blocking priority is an added bonus, creating tough mind games and guaranteeing you'll maximize every turn of tailwind.

The original version had metagross in the last slot, s/o to GenOne for showing me the way of the regi

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
RUSSELL WESTBROOK HO

:politoed::urshifu-rapid strike::rillaboom::tsareena::zapdos::tornadus: - Importable

Bit of a throwaway team here. Okay, so I pondered the idea of rain a bit, and have come to the striking conclusion that Kingdra is pretty garbage. He's a victim to everyone packing heat (and speed control) for HO, and he's also pretty one-dimensional and too reliant on field conditions to be worth the cost of a team slot. I thought then, what's rain good for? I've decided it's probably for neutering Heatran, making Urshifu-R brazy, and Hurricane Spam. Enter: RUSSELL WESTBROOK HO, feautring Triple Double Typestack in double Grass, double Water, and double Flying.

This is pretty much a brute force kind of HO, using typestack to overwhelm checks and then get away with it eventually. The team features two of rain's marquee attackers in CB Urshifu and LO Zapdos, both of which I feel are enough to carry the archetype by themselves by the former's strength and the latter's metagame match-ups. They are the team's main breakers, the ones punching the holes or cleaning up the mess.

Tornandus, Rillaboom, and Tsareena are there to do what they usually do. Tornadus is picked because I definitely needed a way to get the jump against HO, especially considering I dropped garbage ass Kingdra; it's also really nice as it doubles as a strong rain attacker with Sharp Beak-boosted Hurricane. Rillaboom and Tsareena were added for Terrain control and anti-priority; controlling Terrain against PsySpam felt pretty important, while Tsareena denying opposing Fake Outs is pretty nice. The two also nicely pair up to be an attacking core in Grassy Terrain, with Tsareena in particular being surprisingly hard hitting. The moveset on Tsareena was something I thought about for 5 minutes, as it had 5 good moves I wanted; in the end, I just dropped U-turn because if I felt that there was a switch Tsareena couldn't cover with an attack I'll just predict it lol.

Politoed is just there. It's vibing. Aside from setting rain it's kinda just there lol. Scald over Weather Ball is because the only time it'll be using Water-move is in the endgame and I don't wanna lose those situations because I don't have Water STAB lol. If it ever gets on the field and stays alive I'm definitely just clicking HH or Icy Wind.

Double Eject Button is because momentum is king.

Considering the fact that I dropped Kingdra, rain as an archetype should feel the loss, right? Personally, I did fele that between Tailwind on Torn and Zapdos, as well as double Grassy Slide on my Grass-types, I won't really miss the immediate speed. What Kingdra brought to the table, I felt that I've sufficiently made up for if not more.

Last edited:
Dancing in the rain!
1626524216019.png
1626524264758.png
1626524275868.png
1626524297123.png
1626524822063.png
1626524341546.png
- Importable

Rain has to be the most boring weather due to only swift swim being the main way to abuse it. But here is a standard rain team featuring Ludicolo!
Politoed being the heart of the team with Drizzle while also providing helping hand to help dish out great amount of damage while also using muddy water to make the chance of accuracy drop to 60% if ludi and poli use muddy water the same turn . Ludicolo has to be the best mon on this team with fake out since it helps zapados to be able to set up tailwind while politoed can Icy wind to set up some speed control for the team while also dishing out damage. Rillaboom is there to pivot in and out and clean up the endgame. Registeel wins the game if you get rid of the fire types of the opponent. zapdos provides tailwind and powerful thunders and hurricanes. Alola wak gets rid of the grass types that give a hard time to the team.

Attachments

Toxigen

get numb to it
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks everyone for participating this week, now its time to vote on the best Rain team! PixxelsVGC submitted their team after the deadline, so it wont count as a submission. Always make sure to check the deadline guys! Anyway, with a bit of a delay, here are the teams you can vote for this week.

Team 1: :zapdos: :politoed: :kingdra: :urshifu: :rillaboom: :metagross: by Drivetacos (please use sprites and put a description on your team next time)
Team 2: :politoed: :kingdra: :genesect: :Tornadus: :rillaboom: :tsareena: by |Powerman|
Team 3: :politoed: :kingdra: :kommo-o: :genesect: :metagross: :rillaboom: by Mack Knife (please use sprites next time)
Team 4: :politoed: :kingdra: :genesect: :zapdos: :urshifu: :tsareena: by NotlPrimRose
Team 5: :pelipper: :genesect: :kingdra: :zapdos: :tsareena: :rillaboom: by Meminger21
Team 6: :politoed: :kingdra: :scizor: :scrafty: :tapu-koko: :cresselia: by FloristtheBudew
Team 7: :moltres-galar: :pelipper: :marowak-alola: :kingdra: :rillaboom: :scizor: by talkingtree
Team 8: :pelipper: :kingdra: :rillaboom: :tsareena: :urshifu: :registeel: by fespy
Team 9: :politoed: :urshifu: :rillaboom: :tsareena: :zapdos: :tornadus: by Memoric

Deadline for the voting phase is on 07/18 at 11:59 PM. EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)