Metagame SS Monotype Metagame Discussion [Isle of Armor]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namranan

:)))))))))))
Ok so apparently if you didn't know, the new mythical Pokemon Zarude was made playable on Showdown today. This means that both Dark and Grass have a new toy to play with, but in the interest of sparking discussion, I'll talk about what this mon offers to the table for both types.

But first, let's talk a little about the mon itself:

:Zarude: (Dark/Grass-type)
HP: 105
Atk: 120
Def: 105
SpA: 70
SpD: 95
Spe: 105

Signature move: Jungle Healing (Heals self for 25% and cures status)

Bulk Up, Bullet Seed, Close Combat, Crunch, Darkest Lariat, Dark Pulse, Drain Punch, Energy Ball, Giga Drain, Grassy Glide, Growth, Iron Tail, Nasty Plot, Power Whip, Seed Bomb, Solar Beam, Solar Blade, Rock Slide, Stomping Tantrum, Synthesis, Taunt, Throat Chop, U-turn

Initial notes:
* Its speed is very nice against base 100s but doesn't notably outpace anything else. With a Choice Scarf, it outspeeds +2 Cloyster and Polteageist if they aren't +Spe.
* Its bulk is incredible for a physical attacker, with 105/105/95 being pretty darn fat and can likely allow him to live some rediculous attacks. (see below)
* Its Dark-STAB is a little lacking due to it not having access to Knock Off.
* 101 HP Substitutes are possible (means its sub can't be broken by Night Shade, Seismic toss, etc.
* Might have a niche on Sun Grass thanks to it being immune to status while under the sun, which can be great vs Toxapex and other walls.
* Doesn't have Swords Dance but has access to Nasty Plot and good special STAB moves.

252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zarude: 266-314 (75.7 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zarude: 312-369 (88.8 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zarude in Electric Terrain: 137-162 (39 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zarude: 283-338 (80.6 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zarude: 32-39 (9.1 - 11.1%) -- possible 9HKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zarude: 320-376 (91.1 - 107.1%) -- approx. 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Dragapult Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zarude: 208-246 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Offensive calcs coming soon:

Dark thoughts:
Dark has notoriously been a type that has had a poor matchup against water. Keldeo, Toxapex, and others made it really hard for Dark to actually break the type, despite having mons like Urshifu-S. Zarude with its access to powerful Grass-type moves like Power Whip and Seed Bomb allows it to effectively manage most of the water types in the tier. As a scarfer, this thing is very welcomed thanks to its ability to actually outspeed key Pokemon like Darmanitan Galar, opposing Scarf Hydreigon, and +2 speed Adamant Cloyster and actually OHKO them back thanks to Close Combat. Alternatively, you can also use it like Stallbreaker Keldeo and run Taunt + Bulk up to act as a Stallbreaker with Darkest Lariat and Power Whip / Seed Bomb as your STAB moves. Whether or not this is effective I do not know yet, but the potential is there. Despite Dark already having Obstagoon for stallbreaking, it couldn't really act as a setup sweeper and had a nasty defensive typing. Zarude might not be much better defensively, but its ability to become a win condition for the team is definitely something I think separates it from Obstagoon. Overall, I think this mon can work nicely on Dark, not super necessary but definitely a nice addition.

Grass thoughts:
Grass has been doing ok as a type, but one thing it lacked was powerful Scarf users. Virizion is incredibly weak and Rillaboom likes to use Choice Band or Swords Dance more, so consistent speed control was not really a thing that was common on Grass. Enter Zarude. It may have a worse speed tier than Virizion, but its typing, coverage, and power definitely make it more of a threat. Being able to beat Psychic and Ghost-types without being forced to use the slow Decidueye is a welcome addition to the type. Pair that with its access to U-turn and now you have a great offensive pivot that can either hit hard or pivot into one of grass' many walls. When it comes to how Zarude can be used with Sun, I touched on this a little in my notes but this thing with its ability, Leaf Guard, allows it to not get statused by things like Scald or Toxic while the Sun is up. This could be great if it was used as a setup sweeper on Sun, but I don't know if that will be how it's used in the future. Overall, I think this mon might be ok on Grass, but not a defining feature.

I'll share some sets as well to get discussion rolling on its potential use:

Dark sets:

Scarfer (Zarude) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Stallbreaker (Zarude) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat

Grass sets:

Sun abuser (Zarude) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Growth
- Solar Blade
- Synthesis / Close Combat
- Darkest Lariat

Scarfer (Zarude) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Darkest Lariat
- Power Whip
- Close Combat

So I haven't yet tested Zarude out, but one thing I'd like to point out for Grass is its access to Rock Slide. Grass is 6-0d by Volcarona currently, making Fire and Bug nearly impossible matchups. With a Choice Scarf, Zarude can outspeed and revenge kill a +1 Volcarona. This development is HUGE for Grass teams, as the Fire matchup is now theoretically winnable (albeit still difficult) with Zarude + Appletun, and the Bug matchup is also made winnable with Zarude + Ferrothorn. Being able to hit pesky Flying types that give Grass trouble like Noivern is also a big bonus. Fighting + Dark coverage also greatly helps the Steel matchup in theory, as it hits everything except Corviknight pretty hard. In conjunction with Rillaboom possibly carrying Dark + Fighting coverage as well, Steel must be more wary against Grass.

The Dragon Master

So you have chosen, Death
is a Pre-Contributor
No the fire matchup is not winnable just with zarude and Appleton. Can't say much about bug as I don't play it but against fire I can confidently say that zarude dosent significantly improve that mu.

Grass can be swept by every one of cinderace, scarf zard and +1volc. Yea zarude can take care of the latter 2. However it's rock slide is pathetically weak against everything else failing to ko a mon as frail as cinderace when it is a fire type and when it's not it's a 3hko.It can then proceed to use u turn and gain momentum or just kill it. It can't switch in but neither can zarude against ANYTHING on fire as everything threatens big damage on it

252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 196-232 (65.1 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO and when it's not :

252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 98-116 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

A few more examples:

Vs Incineror
- 1 252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Incineroar: 112-134 (28.4 - 34%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Incineror can switch in and proceed to gain momentum with parting shot.

If it stays in then -2 rock slide fails to ko even zard or volc which then ko back

-2 252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 192-228 (64.6 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-2 252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcarona: 220-260 (70.7 - 83.6%)

vs Torkoal

252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 90-106 (26.1 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 SpA Torkoal Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zarude in Sun: 236-282 (67.2 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs rotom it fails to ko even 0 defence ones

252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Heat: 146-174 (60.5 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It can't even use adamant to try and patch these problems as that means it's outsped by volc and zard.

As for Appleton well with that all you got to do is to catch it with a zard dragon pulse or a volc bug buzz or a cinderace u turn on the switch and your set.

252 Atk Libero Cinderace U-turn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Appletun: 254-300 (59.9 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Solar Power Charizard Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Appletun in Sun: 204-242 (48.1 - 57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Appletun: 254-300 (59.9 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

On top of all that it's typing is horrible as it's weak to 7 types that completely undermine its good defenses it's immunity to psychic is nice but it's not enough to make up for that. It's gonna be ok but nothing too great.

Edit : thanks for Stella Athena for mentioning this, rock slide is fifty... I mean 75 % accurate so it's not reliable to kill anything.

Last edited:
I have to agree about Zarude not giving Grass significant game against Fire. Yes, it has a 75% accurate move that OHKOs Charizard and Volcarona. However it gets hard countered by almost everyone else on the team. A couple more calcs to add to the previous ones:

252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 90-106 (26.2 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 SpA Torkoal Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zarude in Sun: 236-282 (67.2 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 144-170 (55.1 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zarude: 372-440 (105.9 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Heat: 146-174 (48.1 - 57.4%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
8 SpA Rotom-Heat Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zarude: 306-362 (87.1 - 103.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

And god forbid Rotom get screens up, Zarude loses the ability to OHKO anything:

252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard through Reflect: 192-226 (64.6 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Zarude Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcarona through Reflect: 218-258 (70 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even if you play really well and use Zarude to kill off both Charizard and Volcarona, the fire team can leverage the fact that Zarude is the only grass check to either Pokémon to gain massive momentum.

Since Zarude can’t switch in on either, it needs to come in after a teammate dies. Let’s say Charizard is left in for Zardue to kill, and then Cinderace gets sent in and is allowed to set up for free or u-turn out. If Zarude stays in it dies and Volcarona sweeps, and if it switches out the Fire teams gains significant payout for losing Charizard (remember Charizard has already gotten a kill) in the form of u-turn (STAB + SE = real damage on the switch) or a +1 Cinderace who OHKOs every non-ghost grass type with HJK.

Or Incinaroar is sent in and uses Parting Shot producing the same effect.

Or Rotom-H is sent in and gets to set up reflect, ensuring that for eight turns Zarude can’t OHKO Volcarona.

I don’t see how this can play out positively for the grass player. I’ll concede the match-up is slightly better, in that there now exists a Pokémon that can actually kill Charizard, but I can’t see it making a serious difference in the MU.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Zarude not helping in the Grass vs Fire matchup. Fire is obviously still very difficult for Grass. However, in a couple high ladder matches I've had vs Fire recently, I've only lost because of a rock slide miss or a crit on Zarude. The key is picking the right sacks and making aggressive plays, while maximizing the use of the other Pokemon on the team. Rotom-Mow puts pressure on Incineroar and Torkoal, Appletun can wall half of the team, and Zarude either claims a kill or gets good chip on everything not named Torkoal if they elect to switch. Getting the most out of Rillaboom for much needed chip with early Knock Offs is possible, and making sure to sack Ferrothorn against a physical attacker like Incineroar or swapping on Cinderace's U-Turn gets the most value out of an otherwise useless member. Whimsicott can still scare Volcarona away from setting up, and can provide Leech Seed chip from time to time.

I never said it was going to be easy, but by making the right plays and with a little luck (rock slide flinch chance!) the matchup is most definitely winnable now, even if it's only 10-15% of the time. It's still better than 0%. Arguing Zarude doesn't help is downright silly in my opinion

Last edited:
I'm going to respectfully disagree with Zarude not helping in the Grass vs Fire matchup. Fire is obviously still very difficult for Grass. However, in a couple high ladder matches I've had vs Fire recently, I've only lost because of a rock slide miss or a crit on Zarude.
Do you have any replays? I would love to see them.

I never said it was going to be easy, but by making the right plays and with a little luck (rock slide flinch chance!) the matchup is most definitely winnable now, even if it's only 10-15% of the time. It's still better than 0%. Arguing Zarude doesn't help is downright silly in my opinion
To be clear, my take is not “Grass has the same win rate vs. Fire as it did pre-Zarude.” That would be silly, as you point out. My position is that even with Zarude the MU is so poor that “Zarude improves the Fire MU” should not be a major part of the conversation about Zarude. This is the same position I took above about Excadrill in Steel v. Fire.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do you have any replays? I would love to see them.

To be clear, my take is not “Grass has the same win rate vs. Fire as it did pre-Zarude.” That would be silly, as you point out. My position is that even with Zarude the MU is so poor that “Zarude improves the Fire MU” should not be a major part of the conversation about Zarude. This is the same position I took above about Excadrill in Steel v. Fire.
Zarude is pretty mediocre in the metagame, its nothing too special but it does help out with Fire. But comparing it to Scarf Virizion at (90 Attack) using Stone Edge vs Zarude (120 Attack) using Rock Slide which is more reliable is a little boost onto Grass. But I agree with you on the part that "Zarude improves the Fire MU" is not the main conversation of Zarude considering Fire vs Grass is still an immensely hard MU to overcome. I feel like Zarude can just be labelled as an alternative scarf user with Virizion.
Virizion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn
- Toxic

Zarude @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Darkest Lariat
- Close Combat
But I feel like Zarude is overall pretty mediocre on both typings. Running it as Speed control or Bulk Up on Grass, or either Scarf Dark to outspeed Keldeo seems fine. Nothing too special , but it has use

About Zarude:

Imo is a waste to use it as a revenge killer (scarf); although it has good speed, it has one of the most crappiest movepools I’ve ever seen. Same as using it as a wall breaker (CB). It has to compete with Urshifu, drapion (scarf only), even crawdaunt.

So I got this Zarude set for dark.

Zarude @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Synthesis
- Encore
- Power Whip
- U-turn

It helps deal against bd azu and keldeo, the bane of dark types.

Zarude is fat, really fat. It has good atk and spe, so why not? I’m trying it rn.

Zarude @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Synthesis
- Encore
- Power Whip
- U-turn

Zarude is fat, really fat. It has good atk and spe, so why not? I’m trying it rn.
I don't really like the idea of the set a lot: Mandibuzz is pretty mandatory on Dark I feel, so having another physical wall may make your team a little too passive (this thing can't even OHKO Urshifu with Max attack investment Adamant, so I can't imagine how much it'll do uninvested) and 105/105 isn't that fat either, at least considering how bad Grass/Dark is defensively. That being said, it's a pretty interesting take, so please be sure to keep us informed on the results.

The Dragon Master

So you have chosen, Death
is a Pre-Contributor
About Zarude:

Imo is a waste to use it as a revenge killer (scarf); although it has good speed, it has one of the most crappiest movepools I’ve ever seen. Same as using it as a wall breaker (CB). It has to compete with Urshifu, drapion (scarf only), even crawdaunt.

Zarude @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Synthesis
- Encore
- Power Whip
- U-turn

Im not sure how well that would work mainly because of synthesis's 8 pp. That is far too little for a recovery move on a defensive mon. Grass dark is a horrific typing with its only 1 real defensive use in this meta that being it's psychic immunity which is useless on dark .105 /105 defence is good but it can't switch in against many physical mons because a u turn reks it hard. But looking on the bright side a resistance to water is nice ... I guess.

I would like to say something about the set though. You prolly want some speed maybe to the 80 mark or something and I think a sub seed set would be good just to be an annoyance especially with sandstorm. However that's an interesting idea defensive zarude.

Edit: it doesn't get leech seed.

Last edited:
Im not sure how well that would work mainly because of synthesis's 8 pp. That is far too little for a recovery move on a defensive mon. Grass dark is a horrific typing with its only 1 real defensive use in this meta that being it's psychic immunity which is useless on dark .105 /105 defence is good but it can't switch in against many physical mons because a u turn reks it hard. But looking on the bright side a resistance to water is nice ... I guess.

I would like to say something about the set though. You prolly want some speed maybe to the 80 mark or something and I think a sub seed set would be good just to be an annoyance especially with sandstorm. However that's an interesting idea defensive zarude.
zarude doesn't get leech seed unfort

roxie

is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is Jungle Healing on Zarude any good? Might be better than synthesis
it can be good on a bulk up sets
Grass (Zarude) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Darkest Lariat
- Jungle Healing

Dark (Zarude) @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Jungle Healing

Dark (Zarude) @ Chople Berry
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Darkest Lariat / Drain Punch
- Power Whip
- Jungle Healing

Don't know how to do the quote thing.

hmm, I will definitely try that. I've only been playing Choice Band set on a Dark team but defense Zarude could be fun.

roxie

Don't know how to do the quote thing.

hmm, I will definitely try that. I've only been playing Choice Band set on a Dark team but defense Zarude could be fun.
Choice Scarf is also a nice set but considering Zarude can possibly check Keldeo I'd prefer Chople on Non-Scarf variants for sure-
You can click "Reply" to quote

View attachment 274066
i think it can be used to avoid status and to heal off lo damage if ur lo
Zarude definitely seems to open up good options for Dark. Right now I've been running Obstagoon, Weaville, Zarude, Urshifu-S, Grimmsnarl, and Hydregion. I've been trying to decide If Zarude is worth it over Umbreon or mandibuzz. I think def Zarude could be a winner though.

Zarude definitely seems to open up good options for Dark. Right now I've been running Obstagoon, Weaville, Zarude, Urshifu-S, Grimmsnarl, and Hydregion. I've been trying to decide If Zarude is worth it over Umbreon or mandibuzz. I think def Zarude could be a winner though.
I feel like Mandibuzz is mandatory in Dark. Fighting and Bug neutrality along with a better defensive value (than Zarude) and Defog is just way too much to even compare. Zarude seems to be better as a scarfer that notably revenge kills +1 Volcarona, but that's probably about the only relevant thing it does: is not particularly strong (for reference, it can't KO opposing Urshifru with Close Combat unless the later just used Close Combat itself), has an abysmal defensive typing that'll make you weaker to Bug (which is even worse considering U-turn) and has a pretty poor movepool (lack of Knock Off really shows).... Apparently it's pretty good on Grass, but there's really nothing it can do on Dark that something else can't do better imo.

Is there any good sets for a weak armor Mandibuzz? Just found Overcoat sets on Smogon. Unless of course those are the best, but it doesn't seem like that great of an ability

maki

uri duri naranhi
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Is there any good sets for a weak armor Mandibuzz? Just found Overcoat sets on Smogon. Unless of course those are the best, but it doesn't seem like that great of an ability
Weak Armor Mandibuzz isn't really used since its role is usually to act as a hazard remover and wall against things like Heracross and Urshifu which Weak Armor would make it vulnerable against. Overcoat whilst might not be a very good ability in the metagame right now occasionally pays off against things like Sleep and Stun Spore both of which cripple Mandibuzz's ability of being a wall as well as weather damage from things like Tyranitar and Alolan Ninetales, the latter of which might be harder to notice. Big Pecks could honestly be considered though since it doesn't inhibit anything Mandibuzz is usually used for and lets it wall better against things that use Liquidation or some other move with a chance to drop defense.

Is there any good sets for a weak armour Mandibuzz? Just found Overcoat sets on Smogon. Unless of course those are the best, but it doesn't seem like that great of an ability
I have a set it's not amazing but it has surprised a few people and swept a team (I don't have the replay I will try and add it later)

Basically lash out works whenever any of the user's stats are lowered during the turn this move is used, its base power is doubled to 150 base move. And because of its ability Weak Armor when a Pokémon with this Ability is hit by a physical move, its Defense is decreased by one stage and its speed is increased by one stage so it's an interesting concept this also allows Mandibuzz to have a fast u-turn out which resets the weak armour or a fast Defog and brave Bird is just for stab.

Anyways it's not that great of a set but its the only set I have seen for weak armour Mandibuzz. I think the defensive buzz is still the best, and the reason buzz runs Overcoat is so it can be a good teammate for specially defensive tyranitar as its ability lets it have more bulk while not hurting buzz which lets them be able to make a great defensive core for dark.

Mandibuzz @ Heavy-Duty Boots/ Leftovers
Ability: Weak Armor
Jolly Nature
- U-Turn/Defog
- Brave Bird
- Lash out
- Roost

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)