Project SS NU Matchmaking: Week 23 - Sirfetch'd

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Winners

:heart:
User
Pokemon
Submission
Bulky Wishiwashi (8 votes)
PhysDef Tangela (8 votes)
Katy
PhysDef Eldegoss (5 votes)

Wishiwashi - 8
Tangela - 8
Eldegoss - 5
Qwilfish - 4
Gourgeist-Small - 4
Abomasnow - 3

And that's a wrap for this first edition of SS NU Matchmaking's Top Cupid. And the honor goes to...................

Corthius

Congrats to you my man. Despite not getting any points during this 2x points week, you kept your spot at the top of the leaderboard and stayed ahead of SpacialRendevous to claim the first Top Cupid honors. You definitely know how to pair 'em together friend. Let's all give him a congrats folks!

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks to let the new meta settle and I'll be back with more mons to pair together. Until then, happy matchmaking!

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Special thanks to you Oathkeepre for hosting this project and SpacialRendevous who was like an arch nemesis for me from day one! (maybe Im to competitive lmao)
and big thanks to everyone that has voted for me! :heart:

It was a really fun project so far and I would've never expected to win this.
There are many submissions that I couldn't vote for due to the restriction of only having two votes, keep up the activity and cool / creative submissions.

Attachments

Oathkeeper

is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright guys, I am back with Matchmaking after 3 months of bans and stuff. Sorry for taking so long, but it's officially time for Corthius to defend his title with the other regular submitters here! Without further ado, let's jump into the next set of mons

Week 11
The mon that needs some love this time is...........

Ninetales @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Scorching Sands

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
reserving thwackey
:ss/Thwackey:
Thwackey @ Eviolite
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off / U-turn​
Thwackey and Ninetales are like Romeo and Juliet. They form a good starting point for a Grass/Fire/Water core and have the known defensive capabilities so I'll try to make it short. Thwackey can threaten the Ground and Water types that check Ninetales and does a good chunk to the best Ninetales wall Appletun with U-turn. Grassy Terrain supports Ninetales in three ways: 1) It boosts the power of Energy Ball which Ninetales really appreciates to break even more through the opposing team. 2) It weakens the ever present Earth Quake from the likes of Mudsdale. 3) It grants Ninetales with passive recovery, allowing it to check the Steel and Bug types that switch into Thwackey. Another thing but more situational, both chip away at Silvally-Dragon which doesn't have recovery besides Thwackey's Grassy Terrain.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
Vanilluxe

:bw/vanilluxe:
Vanilluxe @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Taunt

- Aurora Veil

:vanilluxe: & :ninetales:
:vanilluxe: is a great partner for ninetales in hyper offensive archetypes and it can setup aurora veil for ninetales to further its ability to set-up with a nasty plot behind the screens. furthermore vanilluxe can pressure one of the best checks of ninetales in appletun. it can also shut down miltank with a taunt so miltank cant use milk drink during the battle. ninetales and vanilluxe both can check opposing vanilluxe. ninetales can also beat bulky steel-types like silvally-steel and the newly dropped escavalier. in overall they both form a nice offensive core and they can even when they are offensively oriented solve their issues in combination as partners.

Last edited:

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs / Pixie Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- U-turn
This is most def not a thwackey but Whimsicott is weak to Fire-, Steel-, and Ice-type attacks while Ninetales is weak to Ground- and Water-type attacks and they both can cover each other weaknesses. Whimsicott is runs Specs/Pixie Plate so the boosted Fairy- and Grass-type STAB is much appreciated and pairing it with Ninetales you have two SpA wallbreakers; Whimsicott being with wallbreaker and Ninetales being the setup-sweeper. Whimsicott helps with Dragon- , Water-, and Fighting-type Pokemon such ass Silvally-Dragon and Poliwrath whereas Ninetales helps with opposing Fire-type Pokemon and Grass-type Pokemon in return. The core is lacking physical attackers so it would be optimal to add 1-2 as your next options.​

Last edited:

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Ribombee

Ribombee anime.png

Ribombee @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shield Dust
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- U-turn​

Bee is a fantastic partner for tales. Ninetales is able to beat down almost every single one of Ribombee's threats in the steel type mons, and can even beat stuff like Spdef Garbodor or other fire types with Scorching Sands. Bee can help out Tales too, tricking specs onto common answers like Miltank or Spdef Mudsdale, or blasting away the arguably best Tales checks in Appletun and Dragvally. I love using these two together.

:ss/rotom:
Rotom @ Spell Tag
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hex

Dual Status Rotom is a wonderful Ninetales partner. Forcing a Wil-O-Wisp onto bulky grounds is the easiest way to chip them into Ninetales's Energy Ball range - specifically chipping Mudsdale. Thunder Wave is useful for faster threats such as Rapidash, Scarf Gallade, and opposing Ninetales - this makes it easier for Ninetales to sweep.​

Oathkeeper

Silvally-Dragon @ Dragon Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Iron Head
- Flame Charge

Silvally-Dragon makes for a great partner to pair with Ninetales since Tales can only reliably hit crappy SpDef Duraludon and nothing else when it comes to Dragons. Ninetales does appreciate Dragonvally dealing with stuff like opposing Dragonvally, Cramorant, and bulkier Waters that Ninetales requires a lot of help with including Wishiwashi, Jellicent, Lanturn, and Poliwrath. In return, Ninetales erases Steel types that Dragonvally struggles with like Stunfisk-G and Steelvally. In short, they deal with each other's checks!

Potential Matches
SD Thwackey by Corthius
Veil Vanilluxe by Katy
Wallbreaker Whimsicott by Roxiee
Specs Ribombee by Pokeslice
Dual Status Hex Rotom-Normal by Davon
SD Silvally-Dragon by Oathkeepre

As usual, vote for 2 matches! Again, you cannot vote for your own.

Whimsicott, Bee

Oathkeeper

Winners

SD Thwackey by Corthius (5 votes)
SD Silvally-Dragon by Oathkeepre (5 votes)
Veil Vanilluxe by Katy (3 votes)
Specs Ribombee by Pokeslice (3 votes)

Thwackey - 5
Silvally-Dragon - 5
Vanilluxe - 3
Ribombee - 3
Whimsicott - 2
Rotom - 2

Week 12
The mon that needs some love this time is...............

Gallade @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut / Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off / Shadow Sneak

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)