Project SS NU Team Building Competition (Quagsire)

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Votes:
Davon - 3
Ho3n - 4

Looks like my Grassy Terrain team takes the cake this time! Yay!

Round 8: Golurk
:golurk: :golurk: :golurk:

Golurk was often out shadowed by better Ghost-types, Ground-types, wallbreakers, and Stealth Rock users in NU. With DLC, Golurk was given Poltergeist, and may have a chance to shine with its brand new STAB attack. Will its mediocre Speed tier and bulk hold it back? Or will its competition with faster Ghost-types like Rotom and Gourgeist-S ultimately be its hardest teambuilding hurdle? Regardless, good luck and have fun everyone!

golurk.png
toxicroak.png
mawile.png
silvally.png
rotom-fan.png
abomasnow.png

Squad: https://pokepast.es/adf5a952372a20c1
------------
The idea of the team is simple, set up and end, now I will make a brief description of the team members

golurk.png
team star with rock polish and weakness policy can surprise many, if you manage to make set up in good time is gg

toxicroak.png
special sweeper with vwave and np ,nothing special

mawile.png
it's a good check for mons like hitmontop,gallade,ninjask,etc. He puts the rocks in the field.

silvally.png
SD vally dragon with iron head for fairy types (second star)

rotom-fan.png
defog user and full speed to beat toxicroak,gallade,hitmontop. Nothing out of the ordinary.

abomasnow.png
full atk abomasnow with eq and wood hammer. the idea is to put the Aurora veil in a good time for the others to finish the job

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Golurk icon
Eldegoss icon
Silvally icon
(FIRE)
Toxicroak icon
Alcremie icon
Togedemaru icon

Pokepaste:
https://pokepast.es/9aca56ca29a35a91

ROCKS COLBUR GOLURK BULKY OFFENSE

Golurk icon
The rocker for the team as the theme suggests and has a standard moveset. Could go DynamicPunch > Stone Edge if needed.
Eldegoss icon
The hazard control to go with the rocker. Primarily used a Water/Grass switchin as well as a EQ eater. Also helps with the ever-so annoying Quagsire.
Silvally icon
While not ideal for doing so, it's my Ice check. Most particular, Abomasnow. Also has that secondary Grass Pledge for Quag. Can also serve as a way for Clefairy and the like.
Toxicroak icon
Needed some special firepower as well a reliable switch-in to Cofagrigus/Dubwool. NP is still good and will continue to be. No priority Vacuum Wave here sadly.
Alcremie icon
Quietly the MVP of the team suffice it to say. Can deal with most of the meta rather well but for the ones that it can't, its teammates do. Standard defensive Calm Mind set with recovery.
Togedemaru icon
Scarfer. This is serving as a "flying" switch in as well as a much-wanted pivot in U-turn. Nuzzle can be replaced with Toxic if need be but Nuzzle is nice for that extra form of speed control.

rozes edit: text was white fsr, figured it was a mistake so i made it black. feel free to edit it if that was on purpose.

rozes: I run in dark mode. If the text was universally white, I do apologize. It shouldn't be now since I removed any formatting done to it.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Golurk Webs
:Orbeetle: :Golurk: :Abomasnow: :Skuntank: :Kangaskhan: :Silvally-Dragon: (Dragon)
https://pokepast.es/5b2a6948897fe298

:golurk: + :orbeetle: LO Golurk is extremely difficult to switch into, and Orbeetle sets Webs to mitigate the problems created by its low Speed, meaning that something like Specs Decidueye or Silvally-Dark/Ghost/Water can't come in and easily revenge kill it. (It's Jolly because that's necessary to outspeed -1 Silvally).

:abomasnow: :skuntank: Specs Abomasnow and NP Shuca Skuntank can take advantage of bulky grasses like Tangela and itemless Eldegoss; Abomasnow is also able to come in on Water-types that might be sent in after Golurk claims a kill, while Skuntank can switch in against Ghost-types attempting to revenge Golurk.

:kangaskhan: Kangaskhan provides speed control, hits hard, and takes advantage of the severe lack of Scrappy Double Edge resists in the tier (while bopping the few existing resists with EQ). Lum makes it easier for you to switch in to Rotom-N, but Silk Scarf is also a great option to boost your damage output.

:Silvally-Dragon: Special Silv-Dragon hits the entire tier insanely hard, coming in vs physical walls like Sandaconda and Cofag and firing off Draco Meteors or hitting its resists with Flash Cannon / Flamethrower. You can also do an SD Flame Charge set here, which would be effective to help the team clean, but I think Kanga + this Silv-Dragon + webs gives you enough tools to tear thru weakened teams. It's also a good Fire-type resist, which is useful since Rapidash has Boots and thus outspeeds the whole team while not being resisted by any other mons.

TL;DR: This team can apply virtually non-stop pressure; it has tons of breaking power which gives it plenty of ways to break through bulkier teams, and Webs + Kangaskhan gives it a good matchup versus opposing offense. Enjoy!

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
We got a new banner! Thank you so much Fusion Flare I love it! :)
1594263845404.png

This building phase was extended a week due to a limited amount of teams but I'll keep the voting phase just this weekend again. Submit your votes by the end of Sunday July 12th.

Voting Phase:

MassiveDestruction:
golurk.pngtoxicroak.pngmawile.pngsilvally.pngrotom-fan.pngabomasnow.png
AllTerrainVen0moth: :liepard: :drednaw: :toxicroak: :cramorant: :golurk: :miltank:
Oathkeepre: :golurk: :eldegoss: :silvally: (Fire) :toxicroak: :alcremie: :togedemaru:
Expulso: :Orbeetle: :Golurk: :Abomasnow: :Skuntank: :Kangaskhan: :Silvally-Dragon: (Dragon)

Last edited:

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
Expulso: 4
Oathkeepr: 1

Great job everyone, and gg to last round’s winner Expulso !!!

This week is everyone’s favorite cow! Moooo! Miltank!

:miltank: :miltank: :miltank:

What inspires me the most about the cow might just be its three viable abilities. Sap Sipper and Thick Fat lets it check different attackers for its defensive sets, while Scrappy has a ton of offensive merit. What will it be? The Defense Curl Body Press sweeper I like to call CroCow? Power Up Punch mini-Kenga Sets? Or the safe and sure wall sets, can’t go wrong with those. Either way I hope everyone has fun milking this round’s competition!!!

(ghost)
Miltank Semi-Stall
I wanted to use a Miltank set that i've never seen anybody use, so I used Counter Miltank with a Chople Berry. This Miltank is capable of living +6 body press from Cofagrigus; but you do kinda got to predict correctly or else the surprise factor is gone. I thought the best way to pressure the opponent into attacking you is by using Toxic Spikes, this will ensure the opponent can't setup forever. Since I'm using Stealth Rocks on Miltank this frees up Clefairy and Sandaconda; so I opted for Knock Off and Toxic on Clefairy, and Coil on Sandaconda. Since I'm using hazard stack + a bulky team the next logical step is to add a spinner, which Eldegoss fits perfectly while giving me a Basculin switch-in (ladder loves Basculin right now because of Pokeaim). Next I needed a spin blocker. Looking through the tier there are plenty of options, but I feel like Silvally-Ghost is the best fit because the hazards make sweeps easy. You could use almost any fast ghost type in this slot; Trick Nasy Plot Rotom would probably fit well, Froslass and Gourgeist-Small could also work if you switch Miltank to Thick Fat. I made Sandaconda Careful so it can take hits from Weezing a little easier. I hope you enjoy the team! I know most people don't enjoy stall but I hope the Miltank set is alluring enough for you to try the team out.
Miltank (F) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Counter
- Stealth Rock
- Milk Drink
- Body Slam

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Knock Off

Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rest

Eldegoss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin
- Pollen Puff
- Aromatherapy

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Stomping Tantrum
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Silvally-Ghost @ Ghost Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- X-Scissor
- Flame Charge
- Swords Dance

decently strong wallbreaker+2 sweepers+utility mon+decent defensive backbone

Lapras @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Frost Breath
- Ancient Power

Ninjask
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Skuntank @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Acid Spray
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Milk Drink
- Toxic

Silvally-Fighting @ Fighting Memory
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Psychic Fangs
- Shadow Claw

Overall the Miltank set isn't too exciting- straight off the analysis page. It's simple and successful. The two more outlandish mons on this team are the Specs Lapras and Silvally-Fighting. Admittedly, both may be non-optimal in their placement. RP had posted in chat about wanting to build a Lapras. based team and thats where this spawned from.

Lapras is cool rn because Specs Basculin is FOTM. Having a Water Absorb mon is really helpful to deter mindless spam from it. It eats every attack from Basc bar CB Superpower, but even then non specs sets that try to tech Superpower don't do a hell of a lot either. SpecsPras is able to heavily dent most common defensive cores & works well in conjunction with my two sweepers, Ninjask & Fightvally. Freeze Dry+Frost Breath are obligatory ice STAB that take advantage of a few different situations.
Ninjask is honestly way too underrated currently, only falling into the dark because of how large Scyther's shadow was. Sweeping+pivotting are a breeze. EVs are meant to maximize damage, bulk and outpace timid Jolteon. It's also my best Malamar answer- it gives my team trouble unless I can switch into the first Superpower w/ Weezing.
Skunktank is my hazard control of choice. I like having Acid Spray tech'd on as a pretty non-committal "not quite sure what's coming next" type of move. Three mons on my team are able to take advantage of a -2 SpD drop, it forces switch and can help soften the few specially defensive mons in the tier. You also still need a psychic check despite Indeedee being gone.
Weezing is the teams second fighting check. We're opting for a faster build- outspeeding neutral 50s. It's all I'm willing to invest so I don't sacrifice too much bulk. It's pretty standard and not much explanation is needed.
Miltank was already talked about before.
Silvally-Fighting. I wanted a fighting type on this team because of how well their strong physical attacks can take advantage of the holes punched by Lapras, and sweep in conjunction w/ Jask. Nothing else felt particularly right as Silvally has the right combination of strength, bulk and speed. It's the best vally form for taking on fat cat Persian.

Last edited:

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
:miltank: :sandaconda: :rotom-fan: :toxicroak: :alcremie: :persian-alola:

So I wanted to make a team around some unusual sets and Block Curse Miltank came into my mind. This set is extremely fun and it lets you trap in relatively passive mons such as Sandaconda, Clefairy (if its not teleport), Piloswine and even spikers like Ferroseed and Garbodor. The spread lets you outspeed max speed Abomasnows while also surviving 2 Adamant Double Edges from Kangaskhan, the rest is invested in Sp Def so you can survive 3 Air Slashed from Rotom-Fan (provided you dont get flinched).

The first think I wanted to pair this up with was some sort of hazard control so rotom-fan worked as a wonder, being able to Defog on pretty much everything and providing a great check to fighting-types and especially Toxicroak. Since Toxicroak was a huge pain to deal with I decided to use a Rocker not weak to it so Sandaconda was added, this mon also provides the necessary Silvally check and speed control with Glare. Next up was Scarf Toxicroak which is personally my favourite scarfer of the current metagame and also a great glue for the team. This mon provides speed control, loves bulky rockers and poison types gone (which Block Miltank can trap and get rid of) while also being a solid check to specs Basculin (mon that has gotten a great increase of usage). The team really struggled to deal with Cofagrigus (like every team in the world lol) so CM alcremie was added to counter this and also providing a solid wincon (it also adores the fact that miltank can trap most poison types). Finally I decided to add Persian Alola as another form of speed control and a blanket check to all the silvallies while providing utility in Knock Off and Parting Shot.

E: Should be Defense Curl not Curse, woops!

Last edited:

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
Round 10: New Ground-types!

Reviving this thread with the new drops! This week's challenge is to use one of the four Ground-types that are new to NU this shift, being Gastrodon, Mudsdale, Rhydone, and Runerigus! Submit a team with at least one of these Pokemon :)

As for the Miltank week, I never set up a voting slate, and it's in a meta that's dead now ;-; As such, I'll edit in all three as winners :>

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
:rhydon: :duraludon: :wishiwashi: :silvally-steel: :weezing: :whimsicott:
Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Duraludon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press

Wishiwashi @ Leftovers
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 124 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 224 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Infestation
- Taunt

Silvally-Steel @ Steel Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 196 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Flamethrower
- Parting Shot
- Toxic

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Switcheroo

RP Don is still the coolest set on the mon, no competition. It doesn't really have a huge number of hard answers barring water types and Quag, rather facing the issue of "how do I safely get +2/+2". That said, Whimsicott is a great way to lure in and chip Weezing, one of the few non-water types that answers it, and Infestation Weezing is a fun tech to trap Steels for Whims. Steelvally is here because a Steel type (a bulky one) is mandatory on every team, and Wishi is just good atm, esp the Brave set. Scarf Dura is speed control and lets me rock up, making the Rhydon look like its SR.

Raahel

MANO TENGO FE
is a Tiering Contributor
Gastrodon Double Ground Balance [import]

The idea of the team is very simple, a balanced team around Gastrodon that I think is one of the best pokemon in the tier at the moment thanks to its ability and its combination of types, Ninetales serves as a Setup Swepper function with NP and Substitute or Scorching Sands yes It is necessary, Rhydon serves as the Stealth Rocker of the team, The defensive Core Aromatisse + Silvally-Steel serve to defend us from pokemon Special attackers such as Drampa, Riboombe Specs or Frosmoth, As the last pokemon we have Drampa who is the wallbreaker of the team with his sets specs that can hit practically every pokemon in the tier and make it very fearsome against any team.

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
:mudsdale: :ninetales: :miltank: :garbodor: :rotom: :whimsicott:
https://pokepast.es/359e02bc0bcb6a9e

I've already posted this team in the NP thread, but to reiterate: this team is based around Choice Band Mudsdale, a Pokemon that, alongside Ninetales, can exert a metric fuck ton of pressure on the Steel-types currently running rampant in the tier. Theoretically, these two together can open up late-game sweeping opportunities for Growth Whimsicott, a set that is probably not actually good but one that I will continue to spam regardless. The defensive/utility core of Miltank + Garbodor + Rotom rounds out the team, providing entry hazards and entry hazard control.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)