SS OU SS OU 2 Core Team (Fire-Water-Grass and Steel-Dragon-Psychic)

Intro:
Here's (probably) the first team that I've ever made that has been a success. This team was originally adapted from a Hydreigon Offensive Team. However, the team was just not working for me and I sat at 1000 for most of the time I used the team (I can't remember the team exactly but I know it had a scarf Lando-T and a Hydreigon life orb). I deleted all the pokemon on the team except the Hydreigon this was because normally I saw a defog Hydreigon set but this was an interesting set that could probably cover most of Hydreigon's threats. So I decided to build on that by finding good offensive cores that could cover Hydreigon's big weaknesses.
Here is the team:

Team Building Process:

As I said in the intro, Hydreigon is the main reason why I am making this team. The Hydreigon set that I had was able to take out most things with Stab Dark Pulse or Flamethrower. Flash Cannon also gave it the ability to take out most fairies because they were normally slower than it. Hydreigon can also reliably take out slower dragon types like (95%-112% with multiscale, 68.8% chance it's an OHKO) Dragonite, (OHKO) Kyurem and (OHKO) Kommo-o with Draco Meteor. Nonetheless base 98 speed makes it just a bit slower than the benchmark 100 speed which Salamence and Flygon have, Garchomp and Latios also have higher speed than Hydreigon which cause it to be somewhat hindered in its role.

To solve the aforementioned problem I had to introduce a fairy type pokemon, I had many options like Clefable, Tapu Fini or Tapu Koko but none of these Pokemon were real offensive threats Clefable and Tapu Fini could calm mind boost but the setup was not always guaranteed and they were more balanced-defensive pokemon. Tapu Koko was an offensive threat but was a better revenge killer with its impressive base 130 speed. Even if I ran it offensively it didn't have access to Moonblast which made it pretty useless as a dragon counter. I chose Tapu Lele because it is able to cover 3 of its 5 weaknesses: Bug (Resistance), Dragon (Immunity and Effectiveness), Fighting (Resistance and 4x Effectiveness).

I desperately needed a physical revenge killer (because I didn't want my whole team to special attackers) so I decided to look around I would normally look in OU for a fast hard-hitting pokemon. However, I had used a Darmanitan in my BW play through and that thing just dominated most of Unova, exceptional attack and good speed made it incredibly desirable. (I just noticed like literally all of my pokemon up to this point have been literally a few stat points away from 100 lmao) The 95 base speed stat, again, is pretty bad due to so many pokemon having base 100 speed but not many of them were scarfed (or used in OU).

All the pokemon here were either fast enough to kill the opponent before they killed them (Darmanitan) or used a good type advantage core to resist attacks and then hit incredibly hard (Hydreigon and Tapu Lele). However, I might meet and even faster pokemon or find a very evenly balanced pokemon that can deal with both Hydreigon and Tapu Lele. So I needed a pokemon with very little weaknesses and good bulk, as soon as I knew I needed that I had already thought of a water-ground combination because grass is barely used on an attacking pokemon so the 4x weakness didn't matter as much as something else like 4x ground weakness or 4x fighting weakness. I used a completely new IV build that focuses on Swampert's Impressive Attack and bulk rather than bulk and defence this let me live hits and fight back.

At this point, I noticed that I had a water-fire core and with grass, I could make my team incredibly balanced so I opted for Rillaboom. And having two terrain setters in one team made it somewhat hard to balance but Grassy Surge was always helpful to heal the bulky pokemon like Swampert and the next pokemon I will talk about. Rillaboom itself also worked as another physical revenge killer with priority grassy glide to kill whatever resisted Darmanitan, and priority was more reliable than speed.

While at this stage of the team creation I searched for advice and I found the concept of cores and I was very surprised that I already had one (Fire, Water, Grass) but I was even more surprised that I could have another one. If I had a steel type it would complete the Dragon, Fairy, Steel core. Ghost seemed like the best secondary type due to it making the pokemon immune to one of steel's weaknesses and taking the total number of immunities to 3. The Aegislash are the only Ghost-Steel pokemon and even if there were others I would still pick Aegislash because my team did not have a utility pokemon or any pokemon with status moves.

Team:

1616502175095.png

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse

This set is the main reason that I wanted to create this team it is not as well known as other Hydreigon sets but after checking on the damage calculator it is titled "Monotype Choice Specs (Dark)" obviously this set is different because I used Life Orb instead but the moves and spread are the same. The entire point is to sweep after getting a safe switch in but the life orb 10% puts Hydreigon on a timer, however, it can take multiple members of the opposing team due to having such a vast moveset. Flamethrower helps to deal with Ice-type threats that can OHKO Hydreigon but it can also be used against bulky steel types, Draco Meteor is therefor countering slower dragon types and as a way to do the most damage if all of the moves are neutral or resistant like against a water type. The spread is a self-explanatory fast special sweeper and I picked Life Orb over Specs or Scarf because it allows for more use and more time can be spent in doing damage instead of having to switch due to getting choice locked.

1616502161797.png

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

This is the normal specs moveset for Tapu Lele, normally used as a sweeper that starts off with a type advantage to safely switch in and then KOs multiple members of the opponent's team. The only difference is instead of Psyshock I used Thunderbolt because I already have a Psychic-type attack and Thunderbolt gives me more coverage to counter Tapu Fini and Corviknight. The spread is the same Fast Special Attacker spread as Hydreigon because it serves the same purpose as Hydreigon. Psychic Surge is an incredible ability as it stops priority attacks, not only do they stop priority attacks form gaining priority they also stop them from doing damage this can be an amazing way for Darmanitan to sweep with Scarf or a great way for Tapu Lele itself to sweep with psychic terrain's boost to psychic attacks.
1616502504584.png

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Normal Darmanitan Scarf moveset normally used as a revenge killer to finish off after a low health pokemon is left in the field. The moveset allows for Darmanitan to do good chip damage as a lead with U-Turn. This chip damage can remove abilities and items that when the user is at max health for example: Multiscale and Focus Sash. Flare Blitz is able to explosive amounts of damage while still letting Darmanitan stay in unlike Draco Meteor which cripples a pokemon's ability to continue without switching. Earthquake and Rock Slide can easily counter other fire types and both ground and rock types have so many things that they are super effective against (Rock: 4 types, Ground: 5 Types).

1616544115050.png

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Flip Turn
- Stealth Rock

I think this is a completely new set, I can't be sure but I've always been recommended to and I have seen others use Swampert as a defensive wall or as a lead. However, I decided to make this set due to how undervalued its stats were being. Earthquake is for good stab damage, Avalanche causes double damage if the target gets damaged first (and it has negative priority) this was needed because normally I see flying types (to get immunity to ground) switch in or grass types (4x damage) in the case of a grass type no matter how weak it is I would normally switch out but if it was a high damage flying type I would stay in, tank its first hit and then hit back with a 120bp avalanche. Normally I see ice beam used in this spot but 206 Special Attack cripples it. Flip Turn to pivot and Rocks to set up hazards. The EV spread is also interesting, instead of investing it all into defence or special defence I decided to increase HP and then it's impressive base 110 attack. Leftovers to heal up the damage that was soaked up by the HP.

1616544839721.png

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off

Rillaboom helps to switch the terrain especially when the opponent sends in their own psychic type to abuse the terrain you can go in and change the terrain, the earthquake resistance also helps Darmanitan and changes earthquake from a 2x damage move to a 1x damage removing its super-effectiveness. Wood hammer to do massive amounts of damage (similar to Flare blitz for Daramanitan), U-Turn to pivot, Grassy Glide for priority and to revenge kill and Knock Off to remove annoying items and for coverage.

1616550222889.png

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

Standard Sub-Toxic Set but without Substitute, because I wanted my team to be more fast-paced, instead I have flash cannon to give me STAB and to deal with fairy types that terrorize Hydreigon. Shadow Ball for more stab and for decent damage, King Shield and Toxic to stall. Spread is a bulky special attacker and Leftovers to stall with toxic and heal while using King's Shield.

Dragapult can sweep my entire team:

Since it is extremely fast it can take out Hydreigon with super-effective dragon moves and if Tapu Lele tries to switch in it can go for ghost type moves to OHKO it without giving it a chance to move. It also resists both of my revenge killers strongest moves (Flare Blitz, Wood Hammer) and it can OHKO Aegislash Blade and 2HKO Aegislash shield. The only counter I have is to tank its attack with Swampert and hit back with a super-effective 120bp avalanche.

Not bad, however, there is a huge flaw with Rillaboom. Rillaboom weakens EQ with Grassy Surge, meaning that Swampert and Darmanitan's EQ are less effective at dealing with switches and in general, threats. Granted, it is VERY useful for Aegislash, who is 2-3HKO'd by a number of mons (particularly using EQ) in and even out of the tier.

Also, your team is missing a hazard removal, which is huge for any team, especially yours with all of those weaknesses and wear down on stuff like Darmanitan and Hydreigon.

I would not have Lele in a team with Rillaboom and Aegislash. Aegislash benifits from grassy terrain, and with no reliable recovery outside of leftovers, I'm not sure you would want to give your opponent a boost on a resist for Aegi. [EDIT] Plus, it removes Grassy Terrain, and Aegislash has no momentum into Rillaboom.

Last edited:

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
I know it forms part of one of your cores, but I really wouldn't use Darmanitan in OU. It gets worn down very quickly due to its weakness to Stealth Rock (for which your team has no removal), Flare Blitz recoil, which is the move you'll have to use most of the time, and its frailty. Furthermore, while it appears to have good coverage moves, as you're locked into a move you can't use them properly. For example, locking into Earthquake against a Heatran could allow a teammate like Dragonite or an opposing Hydreigon to set up for free as you have to switch out. I would replace it with this for a speed control Pokemon:

:ss/kartana:
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Smart Strike / Defog

This is probably the closest thing to Darmanitan that's viable. As you have Rillaboom's Grassy Terrain, Kartana's Leaf Blade gets powered up to insane levels, forming a well-known "grass-spam" core that allows them to wear down shared checks like Zapdos and Mandibuzz. A very offensive team like yours also can benefit from a situational form of hazard control, should you choose to run Defog.

Or if you want a fast, strong Fire-type, try this:
:ss/victini:
Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Final Gambit
- Trick
This Pokemon is the main reason Darmanitan is considered completely unviable in OU. Yes, you have worse coverage, but you don't need it when Final Gambit OHKOs almost anything if you're at full health, which is a great advantage for an offensive team. It keeps Darmanitan's U-turn, and it can use Trick to cripple switchins to it by locking them into a move. V-create has no recoil damage too, meaning you get to use it much more, somewhat making up for the lower power. If you dislike the reduced power, you could also try Bolt Strike over Final Gambit (with 252 Attack EVs over the HP EVs of course), but this looks a better fit for your team.

I would also suggest Nasty Plot over Flamethrower on Hydreigon. The most common Ice-types right now are Weavile, which is faster than Hydreigon and won't switch directly into Hydreigon, and Kyurem, which is hit harder by Draco Meteor, and most Steel-types take considerable damage from +2 Dark Pulse, should you run Nasty Plot.It

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Kartana also can damage Dragapult thanks to its faster Knock Off, unlike Darmanitan, and Victini can give its Choice Scarf to it with Trick, making it somewhat less threatening, so they would also help the Dragapult matchup a bit.

Last edited:
Hi, I agree w everything tailgow said, and not to be annoying or anything, but it's dragon steel FAIRY, not psychic. Anyways, have a great day.

Not bad, however, there is a huge flaw with Rillaboom. Rillaboom weakens EQ with Grassy Surge, meaning that Swampert and Darmanitan's EQ are less effective at dealing with switches and in general, threats. Granted, it is VERY useful for Aegislash, who is 2-3HKO'd by a number of mons (particularly using EQ) in and even out of the tier.

Also, your team is missing a hazard removal, which is huge for any team, especially yours with all of those weaknesses and wear down on stuff like Darmanitan and Hydreigon.

I would not have Lele in a team with Rillaboom and Aegislash. Aegislash benifits from grassy terrain, and with no reliable recovery outside of leftovers, I'm not sure you would want to give your opponent a boost on a resist for Aegi.
I replaced earthquake with high horsepower on Swampert bc it doesn't half the damage on grassy terrain and I've replaced Darmanitan with Victini which doesn't have eq. The only problem I'm having is deciding what to remove to add a defoger or a spinner, I could change hydreigon set to a defog one but other than that idk what to do.

thank you for pointing out the eq resistance I completely forgot abt that. I've climbed a lot more due to this.

I know it forms part of one of your cores, but I really wouldn't use Darmanitan in OU. It gets worn down very quickly due to its weakness to Stealth Rock (for which your team has no removal), Flare Blitz recoil, which is the move you'll have to use most of the time, and its frailty. Furthermore, while it appears to have good coverage moves, as you're locked into a move you can't use them properly. For example, locking into Earthquake against a Heatran could allow a teammate like Dragonite or an opposing Hydreigon to set up for free as you have to switch out. I would replace it with this for a speed control Pokemon:

:ss/kartana:
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Smart Strike / Defog

This is probably the closest thing to Darmanitan that's viable. As you have Rillaboom's Grassy Terrain, Kartana's Leaf Blade gets powered up to insane levels, forming a well-known "grass-spam" core that allows them to wear down shared checks like Zapdos and Mandibuzz. A very offensive team like yours also can benefit from a situational form of hazard control, should you choose to run Defog.

Or if you want a fast, strong Fire-type, try this:
:ss/victini:
Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Final Gambit
- Trick
This Pokemon is the main reason Darmanitan is considered completely unviable in OU. Yes, you have worse coverage, but you don't need it when Final Gambit OHKOs almost anything if you're at full health, which is a great advantage for an offensive team. It keeps Darmanitan's U-turn, and it can use Trick to cripple switchins to it by locking them into a move. V-create has no recoil damage too, meaning you get to use it much more, somewhat making up for the lower power. If you dislike the reduced power, you could also try Bolt Strike over Final Gambit (with 252 Attack EVs over the HP EVs of course), but this looks a better fit for your team.

I would also suggest Nasty Plot over Flamethrower on Hydreigon. The most common Ice-types right now are Weavile, which is faster than Hydreigon and won't switch directly into Hydreigon, and Kyurem, which is hit harder by Draco Meteor, and most Steel-types take considerable damage from +2 Dark Pulse, should you run Nasty Plot.It

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Kartana also can damage Dragapult thanks to its faster Knock Off, unlike Darmanitan, and Victini can give its Choice Scarf to it with Trick, making it somewhat less threatening, so they would also help the Dragapult matchup a bit.

The victini switch is so much bettter thank you so much. Dragapult is not as much of a threat anymore due to this. And the nasty plot hydreigon also helps so that I can setup infront of ground types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)