SS OU SS OU Nidoking + Kartana Balance

So I wanted to build a team around the combination of Teleport Slowbro and powerful breakers, specifically Nidoking and banded Kartana which are some of my favorites this gen, here's what I came up with:

https://projectpokemon.org/images/normal-sprite/nidoking.gif

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Here's the team's first breaker. The idea is to F-Sight with Slowbro, then Teleport into this and deal huge damage. I chose to run an all-out attacker set, with Sludge Wave and Earth Power for reliable STAB, Ice Beam to hit targets like most Dragon and Flying types and Flamethrower specifically for Ferrothorn (and Corviknight, but I haven't seen much of it recently). The EV spread is standard, with a Timid nature to outspeed as many targets as possible. A Modest nature isn't really needed with Slowbro's support.

https://projectpokemon.org/images/normal-sprite/slowbro.gif

Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Teleport
- Slack Off
- Future Sight

The aforementioned Slowbro, with TeleSight to support the breakers, Slack Off for instant recovery and Scald for the useful burn chance. EV spread is standard for a physical wall, making this a better check to things like Melmetal and Zap-G. A Relaxed nature with 0 Speed IVs guarantees that Teleport will go last, which means safe entry for Nidoking and Kartana. Not much else to say, but this set is pretty much what the team revolves around.

https://projectpokemon.org/images/normal-sprite/clefable.gif

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Clefable has three main purposes: Secondary physical wall / Urshifu switch-in, Stealth Rock user, and status spreader with T-Wave. Moonblast is a reliable attacking move and it prevents Clef from being useless when Taunted, Soft-Boiled provides reliable instant recovery, Stealth Rock is... Stealth Rock, and Thunder Wave slows down quicker threats making them much easier for the breakers to handle. EVs are tailored for physical defense.

https://projectpokemon.org/images/normal-sprite/kartana.gif

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Banded Kartana is the physical wallbreaker of the team, and a pokemon which I really enjoy using. Leaf Blade is the most reliable STAB move, and can quickly snowball with Beast Boost. Smart Strike provides secondary STAB, and is useful for eliminating Fairies. Knock Off is a safe move to spam early-game and cripple switch-ins, and the last move is useful Fighting coverage to deal with Grass-resistant switch-ins such as Ferrothorn. A Jolly nature is used to make Kartana as fast as possible, which could potentially result in a sweep if the opposing team is crippled enough.

897Spectrier.png
Spectrier @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Haze
- Hex

Scarfed Spectrier makes a good revenge killer, but more importantly, it can clean up the mess end-game once the breakers have sufficiently softened the opposing team. Shadow Ball is obviously the most important move, and Spectrier can get extremely difficult to stop once it's accumulated a few Grim Neigh boosts. Will-O-Wisp can cripple a predicted switch-in, Haze can act as an emergency stop to a setup sweeper, and Hex can be used instead of Shadow Ball to sweep assuming that I've used Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp enough times. This set's purpose, as mentioned earlier, is to tear up whatever remains of the opposing team when the match nears its end.

https://projectpokemon.org/images/normal-sprite/mandibuzz.gif

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

The final member of the team is Mandibuzz, which provides hazard control and a special wall which the team lacks. Foul Play is good Dark STAB, U-Turn allows for pivoting, Defog for clearing hazards, and Roost provides immediate recovery. The main reason this is on the team is because I lacked a specially defensive pokemon and a hazard remover, and Mandibuzz has the benefit of being a great switch-in to Spectrier which the team also didn't have.

So that's the team. It's pretty good, but there's definitely room for improvement. Right now the match-ups I'm most concerned about are Quiver Dance Pheromosa and opposing Kartana, I don't really have answers to those besides clever play...

Bumping this, no replies yet. A minor change I think I'll make is Brave Bird instead of Foul Play on Mandi, to make sure that QD Phero can't set up in front of it.

Hi, welcome on Rate My Team !

I really appreciate your efforts in explaining how your team works and I have to say that it is very interesting to keep reading everything until the end. You have good reasoning skills and I am very happy to help you improve your team.
As I said there are some things to improve, I hope you will agree with me, plus my intent is always to give advice and they are not insidacable orders so in the end you will be the one to choose what is right for you.

I start by saying that the team has weaknesses to the Fat Balance or Stall teams, not having a real stallbreaker and relying on Kartana with the Band I don't think it's the best because of the possible Moltres, Toxapex or Skarmory with Rocky Helmet.
Heatran with his Magma Storm can become problematic when Slowbro is poisoned and Taunt won't allow him to Teleport or recover HP with Slack Off.
I also consider that stuff like Sword Dance or Band Rillaboom and Kartana can be absolutely problematic even taking away a kill in case they hit with their STAB moves.

Now let's move on to the changes I propose to you.

• Let's start with the last consideration I told you, I mentioned Kartana and Rillaboom, but also typical physical attackers like Garchomp and Urshifu are really problematic for you. You were right to think of Clefable as a possible check, but I really think you need a better wall that can fully control Landorus-T and Pheromosa as possible hits without risking U-Turn by fielding Slowbro.
    Therefore
    >
    it would help you a lot for the considerations I pointed out to you, excellent against Kartana, Rillaboom, Melmetal and Garchomp. Always performing the same function as Clefable by holding Urshifu in both of his forms. The item that I propose to you is :rocky helmet: for chipping damage on Landorus-T and Pheromosa's U-Turns, but also against Excadrill in Sand Teams match ups to avoid putting too much pressure on Mandibuzz. The spread I recommend is defensive with 112 Spe to be faster than Heatran special defender and i advise Earthquake to chip damage on Toxapex switch-in and do a possible 2HKO when Assalut Vest Magearna enters.
  • To avoid being too passive it is best to use
    >
    with the Calm Mind set to be a great stallbreaker thanks to Taunt and win possible 1vs1s on Heatran easly. Moreover, Draining Kiss allows you to recover HP even against Chansey and Scald I always recommend it in the changes of terrain made by Rillaboom. Besides the Misty Terrein it allows to have an excellent synergy with Kartana avoiding possible burns in the event that Knock Off is used on Moltres in the switch-in.
  • Regarding
    I prefer to use it as a setter at this point with Stealth Rock > Ice Beam, the reason is simple: it is a great lead capable of setting to Turn1, but at the same time severely hitting Pokémon such as Clefable, Tapu Fini, Corviknight and Ferrothorn. Putting a lot of pressure on relatively bulk teams.
  • I think that
    works better with Knock Off > U-Turn to let possible Heavy Duty Boots opponents and force entries on opponents suffering from hazards such as Tornadus or Moltres, and take away the possible Rocky Helmet on Buzzwole, Slowbro or Tangrowth.
Optional: Consider whether to use Kartana also with the Sword Dance set, it can perform an excellent sweeper function avoiding being locked.

The team looks like this:
=======

>>>>> The Team <<<<<
=======​

Considerations:
The team is viable atm in ou, try to pay attention to pivots like Magearna with Volt-Switch or Tapu Koko, they could create pressure and force you to enter Nidoking, you will always have to draw the correct momentum to make the most of Kartana and Tapu Fini , after which you will have to close the match with Spectrier easily.

I hope I was helpful. Feel free to ask if you have any doubts.

I really appreciate your efforts in explaining how your team works and I have to say that it is very interesting to keep reading everything until the end. You have good reasoning skills and I am very happy to help you improve your team.
As I said there are some things to improve, I hope you will agree with me, plus my intent is always to give advice and they are not insidacable orders so in the end you will be the one to choose what is right for you.

I start by saying that the team has weaknesses to the Fat Balance or Stall teams, not having a real stallbreaker and relying on Kartana with the Band I don't think it's the best because of the possible Moltres, Toxapex or Skarmory with Rocky Helmet.
Heatran with his Magma Storm can become problematic when Slowbro is poisoned and Taunt won't allow him to Teleport or recover HP with Slack Off.
I also consider that stuff like Sword Dance or Band Rillaboom and Kartana can be absolutely problematic even taking away a kill in case they hit with their STAB moves.

• Let's start with the last consideration I told you, I mentioned Kartana and Rillaboom, but also typical physical attackers like Garchomp and Urshifu are really problematic for you. You were right to think of Clefable as a possible check, but I really think you need a better wall that can fully control Landorus-T and Pheromosa as possible hits without risking U-Turn by fielding Slowbro.
    Therefore
    >
    it would help you a lot for the considerations I pointed out to you, excellent against Kartana, Rillaboom, Melmetal and Garchomp. Always performing the same function as Clefable by holding Urshifu in both of his forms. The item that I propose to you is :rocky helmet: for chipping damage on Landorus-T and Pheromosa's U-Turns, but also against Excadrill in Sand Teams match ups to avoid putting too much pressure on Mandibuzz. The spread I recommend is defensive with 112 Spe to be faster than Heatran special defender and i advise Earthquake to chip damage on Toxapex switch-in and do a possible 2HKO when Assalut Vest Magearna enters.
    >
    with the Calm Mind set to be a great stallbreaker thanks to Taunt and win possible 1vs1s on Heatran easly. Moreover, Draining Kiss allows you to recover HP even against Chansey and Scald I always recommend it in the changes of terrain made by Rillaboom. Besides the Misty Terrein it allows to have an excellent synergy with Kartana avoiding possible burns in the event that Knock Off is used on Moltres in the switch-in.
  • Regarding
    I prefer to use it as a setter at this point with Stealth Rock > Ice Beam, the reason is simple: it is a great lead capable of setting to Turn1, but at the same time severely hitting Pokémon such as Clefable, Tapu Fini, Corviknight and Ferrothorn. Putting a lot of pressure on relatively bulk teams.
  • I think that
    works better with Knock Off > U-Turn to let possible Heavy Duty Boots opponents and force entries on opponents suffering from hazards such as Tornadus or Moltres, and take away the possible Rocky Helmet on Buzzwole, Slowbro or Tangrowth.
Optional: Consider whether to use Kartana also with the Sword Dance set, it can perform an excellent sweeper function avoiding being locked.

=======

>>>>> The Team <<<<<
=======​

Considerations:
The team is viable atm in ou, try to pay attention to pivots like Magearna with Volt-Switch or Tapu Koko, they could create pressure and force you to enter Nidoking, you will always have to draw the correct momentum to make the most of Kartana and Tapu Fini , after which you will have to close the match with Spectrier easily.

Thank you sooo much for your reply! I'll definitely have to give the team some test runs to really get a feel for it, but at first glance, there isn't any U-turn/Volt Switch/Teleport etc, and I always have those somewhere so I'll try Knock/Turn/Defog/Roost on Mandi, see if it fits my playstyle better. Still, I really appreciate your response.

Mario34

don't play the odds, play the man
is a Tiering Contributor

Therefore
    >
    >
  • Regarding
  • I think that

=======

>>>>> The Team <<<<<
=======​

Considerations:

The team looks cool but I think ice beam will be better on nido but thats to kill lando-t on the switch

The Team Looks so cool and i Like Balance Teams so much.

I can Understand all Changes U did StepC and give this Team a Testrun too, because Banded Kartana Grills the Most Defensive Cores ... It Looks really fun and Spectrier Sweep in the lategame makes me Always Happy lol.

I have only 2 questions on the Defensive Core.
Are Buzzwole, Tapu Fini and Mandibuzz good Check against Zapdos and Tapu Lele too? Zapdos is so dominant actually and have with Heat Wave, Hurricane and Thunderbolt the Attacks to Break this Defensive Core. Or is SpDef Mandi a good Switch with Roost next Turn?

For Tapu Lele i cant See the Switch For this Mon, Here is the only Option to Revenge Kill right?

The Team Looks so cool and i Like Balance Teams so much.

I can Understand all Changes U did StepC and give this Team a Testrun too, because Banded Kartana Grills the Most Defensive Cores ... It Looks really fun and Spectrier Sweep in the lategame makes me Always Happy lol.

I have only 2 questions on the Defensive Core.
Are Buzzwole, Tapu Fini and Mandibuzz good Check against Zapdos and Tapu Lele too? Zapdos is so dominant actually and have with Heat Wave, Hurricane and Thunderbolt the Attacks to Break this Defensive Core. Or is SpDef Mandi a good Switch with Roost next Turn?

For Tapu Lele i cant See the Switch For this Mon, Here is the only Option to Revenge Kill right?
Zapdos has been a big issue so far... I'll see what I can do to deal with it better

Zapdos has been a big issue so far... I'll see what I can do to deal with it better
yeah you need Ice Beam on Nidoking for Zapdos.
Alternatively, consider Giga Impact on Kartana? Probably instead of Smart Strike.
252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Zapdos: 259-305 (67.4 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
With some chip, you can probably surprise kill Zapdos with that though it's a bit extreme. Now in fairness, it's also strong against Moltres for the same reason, and can OHKO Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Volcarona if they try to switch in. It's a bit of an extreme move but why not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)