SS OU SS OU Stall?

I'm a returning player from Gen V when mons like Blissey, Poison Heal Gliscor, an Skarmory ruled the stall landscape. Back when it didn't matter how boosted an opponent managed to get, you had an answer.

That's not really the case any more form what I've found. Every team I've seen has multiple sweepers, and just an insane amount of offense. Well, I hate that, so I aimed to make a team that will either win in 75 turns or make your frustrated opponent quit before that hits. Is it great? Hard no. Does it work? Kind of. Have I lost less than 1/3 of my games so far? Somehow, yes. So, without further rambling, here's the worst team that's likely been posted here today:

Why Clef? (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

I miss Blissey and Eviolite Chansey. Big time. However, this little turd pulls its weight and more on this team. I hesitated to put thunderwave anywhere on this team, as incremental damage is generally preferable with this strategy, but paralysis has gotten me out of a few pickles, both through the speed loss and the occasional RNG win on an opponent not being able to move. Moonblast is there for taunt protection and because we were SERIOUSLY lacking in offense. It will make opponents think twice before putting out that Dragapult. Wish passing/recovery goes in without an explanation needed. Everybody on the team has recovery, but it's still a nice boost to get Toxapex a free turn on the switch. I'm debating whether to keep protect, but it's another nice time buyer.

Skarmory? (Corviknight) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Body Press
- Iron Defense

Skarmory but with pressure instead of spikes? Yes please! Fairly standard set here, with the notable inclusion of body press/Iron Defense instead of a STAB move. It seems stupid, but after playing around with brave bird, i really prefer this. Iron defense against a burnt opponent ensures plenty of time on the field, and pumps up the unexpected body press. Win-win.

I'm Pivoting (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

I effing hate this thing... When I'm playing against it. I'm still torn between toxic spikes and toxic, and with the prevalence of defogging birds, the spikes tend to get washed away fairly often, but I's just as soon make them waste a turn getting rid of them. Scald for taunt protection and a stabby burn chance, and haze to cancel out boosts from an encored sweeper.

Thornton (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Iron Head

Is it really a stall team without this guy? Fairly straightforward set here. The electric resist is fairly crucial on this team, and leech seed keeps him alive long enough to make sure rocks get set and fairies get headbutted. Opted for protect over spin because I've got the fog bird, and our entire objective is to run out the clock.

RIP megas (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Encore
- Recover
- Knock Off

Spin blocking, burning, removing items, and trying to stick around. Checks quite a few boxes, and is crucial in getting a burn in on physical sweepers with his dying breath. Prankster encore is also a huge pain for opponents to deal with and can force a switch pretty readily. If they enjoy having that boost encored, we can haze it away.

Pringlin (Jellicent) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

I know this should be Seismotoad. I really, really do. I need more electric protection, and it's just a generally better body most of the time, but man when you need a Jellicent, he's amazing to have. We get redundant spin blocking, redundant burn, and another pain to take down wall. Taunt is icing here, with the water absorption being a cherry on top of said icing. Opted for a lum berry over leftovers so he can soak status moves on the switch, then taunt them out of it.

I realize this could likely be tweaked and made better, but that's exactly why I'm here. This team has performed fairly well, but it's got holes, and I don't know the meta well enough just yet to fill them. Criticise away, and thanks for reading.

Edit:

Weaknesses (Will add more as I get rekt by them)

Venusaur - This dude tears this team apart, especially in sunlight. The only way we have to deal with it if he's running weatherball/giga drain is get a knockoff and get him burnt and try to hang in long enough, and there's a very slim chance we do.

Last edited:
I'm a returning player from Gen V when mons like Blissey, Poison Heal Gliscor, an Skarmory ruled the stall landscape. Back when it didn't matter how boosted an opponent managed to get, you had an answer.

That's not really the case any more form what I've found. Every team I've seen has multiple sweepers, and just an insane amount of offense. Well, I hate that, so I aimed to make a team that will either win in 75 turns or make your frustrated opponent quit before that hits. Is it great? Hard no. Does it work? Kind of. Have I lost less than 1/3 of my games so far? Somehow, yes. So, without further rambling, here's the worst team that's likely been posted here today:

EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

I miss Blissey and Eviolite Chansey. Big time. However, this little turd pulls its weight and more on this team. I hesitated to put thunderwave anywhere on this team, as incremental damage is generally preferable with this strategy, but paralysis has gotten me out of a few pickles, both through the speed loss and the occasional RNG win on an opponent not being able to move. Moonblast is there for taunt protection and because we were SERIOUSLY lacking in offense. It will make opponents think twice before putting out that Dragapult. Wish passing/recovery goes in without an explanation needed. Everybody on the team has recovery, but it's still a nice boost to get Toxapex a free turn on the switch. I'm debating whether to keep protect, but it's another nice time buyer.

Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Body Press
- Iron Defense

Skarmory but with pressure instead of spikes? Yes please! Fairly standard set here, with the notable inclusion of body press/Iron Defense instead of a STAB move. It seems stupid, but after playing around with brave bird, i really prefer this. Iron defense against a burnt opponent ensures plenty of time on the field, and pumps up the unexpected body press. Win-win.

Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

I effing hate this thing... When I'm playing against it. I'm still torn between toxic spikes and toxic, and with the prevalence of defogging birds, the spikes tend to get washed away fairly often, but I's just as soon make them waste a turn getting rid of them. Scald for taunt protection and a stabby burn chance, and haze to cancel out boosts from an encored sweeper.

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Iron Head

Is it really a stall team without this guy? Fairly straightforward set here. The electric resist is fairly crucial on this team, and leech seed keeps him alive long enough to make sure rocks get set and fairies get headbutted. Opted for protect over spin because I've got the fog bird, and our entire objective is to run out the clock.

RIP megas (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Encore
- Recover
- Knock Off

Spin blocking, burning, removing items, and trying to stick around. Checks quite a few boxes, and is crucial in getting a burn in on physical sweepers with his dying breath. Prankster encore is also a huge pain for opponents to deal with and can force a switch pretty readily. If they enjoy having that boost encored, we can haze it away.

Pringlin (Jellicent) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

I know this should be Seismotoad. I really, really do. I need more electric protection, and it's just a generally better body most of the time, but man when you need a Jellicent, he's amazing to have. We get redundant spin blocking, redundant burn, and another pain to take down wall. Taunt is icing here, with the water absorption being a cherry on top of said icing. Opted for a lum berry over leftovers so he can soak status moves on the switch, then taunt them out of it.

I realize this could likely be tweaked and made better, but that's exactly why I'm here. This team has performed fairly well, but it's got holes, and I don't know the meta well enough just yet to fill them. Criticise away, and thanks for reading.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1065859099

My first game with this team turned into the most insane and haxful battle I´ve ever had on Showdown. Enjoy this masterpiece.

Btw,I really like your team and I will try it out on ladder for sure.

Keep up the good work bro ^^

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1065859099

My first game with this team turned into the most insane and haxful battle I´ve ever had on Showdown. Enjoy this masterpiece.

Btw,I really like your team and I will try it out on ladder for sure.

Keep up the good work bro ^^

I love it! Thanks for the feedback, and also the inspiration to change Ferro's offensive move to gyro ball. It's a way better choice.

Ok, so right off the bat I have a few ideas.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled/Protect
- Aromatherapy
A new set for Clefable, as this team is crying for a cleric and Unaware user. Thanks to the power of Home, good old Unaware Clefable is back. This should prevent your team being mown down by status and setup. Wish passing for your teammates, Soft Boiled for you. Protect if you like living less dangerously and are ok with Wish PP having to be used on you and your teammates. EVs are adjustable, but a lot of your team is PhysDef, so Clef should probably be Special to stop Dragapult and Hydreigon smashing your team to little shreds.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
Minor tweak here, as more Knocks is always good. Anything with Boots should not keep them for long. While Protect on Ferro is great, it needs the moveslot desperately.
Now to replace Sableye with something a little more practical.
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Encore/Toxic
- Earthquake
You need a Ground type? Time to add in good ol' Mr. Reliable, Unaware Quagsire. Encore can lock opponents into moves they'd rather save PP on, Toxic can punish things trying to stay in on Quagsire. Between this and Specially Defensive Clef, you have a nice Unaware core that stops most sweepers cold.
Now, since you are a Gen 5 player it might surprise you to learn this, but spinblocking is not a very valuable trait in the current metagame. There is only one viable spinner in OU: Excadrill. And you already have Iron Defense Corv, which is the hardest counter known to man for Excadrill. With how widely distributed Defog is as well post-Home, the last slot on your team is much better given to something that can stop top threats ripping your team to shreds. Thus I'm going to suggest something a little odd, but once you try it I think you'll like it.
Centiskorch @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Careful Nature
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
- Fire Lash
- Knock Off
- Sleep Talk/Leech Life
- Rest
SpeDef Centiskorch is the best check to LO Clefable in the game. It also stops SubDisable Dragapult, which 6-0s your current team. Sleep Talk is optional because you have cleric Clef, but is highly recommended. Fire Lash allows you to break down mons that try and stay in on you, especially Calm Mind sweepers. Knock Off is always a great move and gives you the two attacks you need to bypass Disable. Rest allows Centiskorch to absorb status and is its only form of recovery. Flash Fire lets you switch in on Fire moves, especially Will-O-Wisp, and boosts your Fire Lash, which also makes for a reasonable secondary wincon in stall mirrors. Just keep it away from opposing Knocks.
Anyway, the threatlist for your team:
:Aegislash: With it getting Toxic back, this thing went from having about three checks to no checks. It's probably broken as hell, but your best bet while it remains in OU is to scout it with Pex and figure out whether it's a physical or special set. Centiskorch can check special variants to a degree, Quagsire can hold physical variants without Toxic, Pex stalls SubToxic varients. And if it's mixed... Good luck.
:Dugtrio: This can take out several members of your team like Pex and Clef to open the way for a sweeper, so play carefully around it.
:Dracovish: Obviously removing your Water Absorber has ramifications for this thing, but Jellicant is not a great Vish check in the first place, being weak to Crunch. Good news: Ferrothorn and Toxapex can check Scarf variants between them. Bad news: You get almost 6-0ed by Banded and/or Rain versions. It's just impossible to blanket check everything rn, so sacrificing your matchup against this mon should help you beat everything else.
:Obstagoon: Just try and name something that switches into this. Your best check is Ferrothorn unless it has Close Combat. Try and stall out the burn damage.
:Dracozolt: Vish's little brother. Can be beaten with a touch of prediction and/or luck. If it's Sub, prepare to be 6-0ed.
Hopefully you enjoy these changes. Stall is, as you can see from the threatlist, not the greatest playstyle rn due to the absurd amount of breakers in and around OU. But with a touch of creativity and overuse of Pex it can work. Best of luck!

FUK yes. Love stall! Few comments- Sableye mega is good on stall, but base kinda sucks. I would replace it for someone that can tank rather than status.
I agree that he's kind of the weak link, but encore locks have won me quite a few battles. I'm going to update after about another week of playtesting.

Ok, so right off the bat I have a few ideas.
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled/Protect
- Aromatherapy
A new set for Clefable, as this team is crying for a cleric and Unaware user. Thanks to the power of Home, good old Unaware Clefable is back. This should prevent your team being mown down by status and setup. Wish passing for your teammates, Soft Boiled for you. Protect if you like living less dangerously and are ok with Wish PP having to be used on you and your teammates. EVs are adjustable, but a lot of your team is PhysDef, so Clef should probably be Special to stop Dragapult and Hydreigon smashing your team to little shreds.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
Minor tweak here, as more Knocks is always good. Anything with Boots should not keep them for long. While Protect on Ferro is great, it needs the moveslot desperately.
Now to replace Sableye with something a little more practical.
Quagsire @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Encore/Toxic
- Earthquake
You need a Ground type? Time to add in good ol' Mr. Reliable, Unaware Quagsire. Encore can lock opponents into moves they'd rather save PP on, Toxic can punish things trying to stay in on Quagsire. Between this and Specially Defensive Clef, you have a nice Unaware core that stops most sweepers cold.
Now, since you are a Gen 5 player it might surprise you to learn this, but spinblocking is not a very valuable trait in the current metagame. There is only one viable spinner in OU: Excadrill. And you already have Iron Defense Corv, which is the hardest counter known to man for Excadrill. With how widely distributed Defog is as well post-Home, the last slot on your team is much better given to something that can stop top threats ripping your team to shreds. Thus I'm going to suggest something a little odd, but once you try it I think you'll like it.
Centiskorch @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Careful Nature
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
- Fire Lash
- Knock Off
- Sleep Talk/Leech Life
- Rest
SpeDef Centiskorch is the best check to LO Clefable in the game. It also stops SubDisable Dragapult, which 6-0s your current team. Sleep Talk is optional because you have cleric Clef, but is highly recommended. Fire Lash allows you to break down mons that try and stay in on you, especially Calm Mind sweepers. Knock Off is always a great move and gives you the two attacks you need to bypass Disable. Rest allows Centiskorch to absorb status and is its only form of recovery. Flash Fire lets you switch in on Fire moves, especially Will-O-Wisp, and boosts your Fire Lash, which also makes for a reasonable secondary wincon in stall mirrors. Just keep it away from opposing Knocks.
Anyway, the threatlist for your team:
:Aegislash: With it getting Toxic back, this thing went from having about three checks to no checks. It's probably broken as hell, but your best bet while it remains in OU is to scout it with Pex and figure out whether it's a physical or special set. Centiskorch can check special variants to a degree, Quagsire can hold physical variants without Toxic, Pex stalls SubToxic varients. And if it's mixed... Good luck.
:Dugtrio: This can take out several members of your team like Pex and Clef to open the way for a sweeper, so play carefully around it.
:Dracovish: Obviously removing your Water Absorber has ramifications for this thing, but Jellicant is not a great Vish check in the first place, being weak to Crunch. Good news: Ferrothorn and Toxapex can check Scarf variants between them. Bad news: You get almost 6-0ed by Banded and/or Rain versions. It's just impossible to blanket check everything rn, so sacrificing your matchup against this mon should help you beat everything else.
:Obstagoon: Just try and name something that switches into this. Your best check is Ferrothorn unless it has Close Combat. Try and stall out the burn damage.
:Dracozolt: Vish's little brother. Can be beaten with a touch of prediction and/or luck. If it's Sub, prepare to be 6-0ed.
Hopefully you enjoy these changes. Stall is, as you can see from the threatlist, not the greatest playstyle rn due to the absurd amount of breakers in and around OU. But with a touch of creativity and overuse of Pex it can work. Best of luck!
Awesome analysis and I am 100% agreed with the change. With encore quag adding air ballon Dugtrio may be an option to ccatch and lock stuff

So after quite a few super long slogs, tilting people to an unreasonable degree, and capping out around 1500 (great for me, since I'm kind of trash), here's our revised team list.

EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Thunder wave just wasn't worth it. The cleric support is great with some of the other recent changes. Somebody above mentioned switching her to Unaware, but I'm still partial to Magic Guard so people waste turns laying burns/toxic on her, and the fact that she often goes in before Corv when rocks get set. Sticking with protect over Softboiled to bait out steel moves on the dragons she checks.

Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Body Press
- Iron Defense

Corv remains unchanged. I'm convinced this is the right set for him. I'll often waste some Iron Defenses when they switch a ghost in, but the free turn allows me to pivot as well.

Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Tox is very often the last mon standing in prolonged battles. I'll generally lead with this mon, as people usually expect Ferro so I can either get a free layer of spikes or a scald on the switch. Likely switching the spikes over to regular toxic, that's the only piece I haven't fudged with. Thoughts?

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Switched out protect in favor of knock off since I nixed Sableye. When ferro comes in, it usually prompts a switch since they read rocks coming, and I can get rid of Cinderace's boots or Rotom's Choice clothing.

S L O W B O I (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Here's our biggest change. I played with Hippowdon for sand, but I was still missing a good offensive threat. I realize this is a stall team, but I needed something to revenge kill or trick bait for rotoms. If you predict properly, this thing will 1-2HKO pretty much anything that it switches in to. Considering swapping the Band for a Scarf, but for now I'm sticking with the Band.

Quaggle Rock (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Encore

You guys were definitely right about this guy. He's my encore locker for pump sweepers (often switching tox in to haze directly after), and a good pivot for expected thunderbolts. Unfortunately, the big electric threat, Zeraora, usually carries grass knot so Quag is there to soak the Plasma Fists, bait grass knot, and switch out to prevent a 1HKO from the grass.

Threats:

Venusaur in the sun - Still a big issue, but clever swaps of Ttar, well-timed knockoffs, and a lucky burn or two from scald help. It's an uphill battle, but it's actually winnable now... if the sun player isn't very good.

Zeraora - If they properly read your switches and moves you're toast. Luckily, they usually don't. This guy will usually KO at least one mon before he goes down.

Dracovish - You still have to play carefully around him, but luckily most people will be choice locked and we have something that can tank each of his moves. They'll often put Draco in against tox, in which case a quick switch to ttar will soak the psychic fang, set up sand, and allow you to pick the best move for their expected switch.

Togekiss - Definitely a pain to deal with. Buckle down, it's going to be a long fight. Try to haze off boosts, as even our unaware Quaggy boi can't hang in too long against it.

More to come, I'm just forgetful.

Things you'd think would be threats that aren't:

Dugtrio - They'll usually put him out first. We usually put tox out first, and he can survive a quake to the face and scald will break his sash, leave him at 1HP, allowing you to switch to corv the next turn and get a body press in.

Aegislash - With a good read and rocks out we can 1HK0 this dude even with just a ferrothorn knock off. Otherwise, scald until you get a burn off.

Basically anything that can't 1HKO the whole team - Worst case scenario, most things can take a hit or two from almost every mon in the meta with good reads. Switch carefully, bait out other moves, and if you hang in long enough with 2-3 mons people will generally tilt and forfeit 150 turns in.

Prepare to get a lot of post-battle chats if you play this team. People really hate it. It has plenty of checks and is easily beatable if your opponent isn't terrible. Luckily for us, most of them have no idea how to play against stall.

Thanks for reading

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)