OU SS OU The Next Best Thing - Week 12: Dragonite

Which Pokemon do you want for the next week ?

• Landorus-Therian

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Dragapult

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Ferrothorn

• Garchomp

• Clefable

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Week 3 : Ferrothorn
1691403038171.png

Ferrothorn is one of the Defensive staples of SS OU, with an incredible Defensive typing with only 2 weakness (Fire and Fighting), a very good bulk and very good support moves like Stealth Rock, Spikes, Knock Off, ...
Ferrothorn has a great movepool that allows you to play a lot of different sets. It has access to setup moves like Swords Dance or Curse (which boost Gyro Ball power), and has other interesting moves like Block, Explosion, Endeavor,...

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip / Gyro Ball / Body Press

You have until Thursday, August 10 to share your set.

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Acid Spray

This set trades away the utility of knock off or the potency of dual STAB Ferrothorn to reliably handle most fairies in the tier outside of flamethrower Clefable - acid spray outpaces calm mind boosts by Tapu Fini and thunder Clefable while gyro ball smacks Tapu Lele missing focus blast when trying to 2HKO your specially defensive steel plant.

:Ferrothorn:
Worry Seed Ferrothorn
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD
Bold Nature
- Power Whip / Body Press
- Spikes
- Knock Off / Leech Seed
- Worry Seed

Worry Seed Ferrothorn does a bevy of things that can greatly excerbate Ferrothorn's potential to disrupt the opposing team, from shutting down Tornadus' and Toxapex's Regenerator, Clefable's Magic Guard, or most notably, allowing it to escape Magnezone consistently.
This takes a more aggressive approach of Ferrothorn's usual playstyle, trading longevity with Leech Seed for severely messing with common switch ins with the combine efforts of Worry Seed and Knock Off severely hampering Tornadus and beyond if you play your cards right.
This works best with a Rocker that heavily threatens Tornadus, as Ferrothorn capitalizes on forcing it in when Rocks are already up.
Leech Seed can still be used if you only care about hampering Assault Vest Tornadus to maintain Ferrothorn's usual Longevity, but Knock Off allows Ferrothorn to still dissuade Pokémon such as Heatran and Volcarona who otherwise do not mind Worry Seed all too much.

(More Detailed Explanation available by clicking on Ferrothorn)

Last edited:
Week 4 : Garchomp
1692003191477.png

Garchomp is one of the centerpieces of the metagame, as its very good speed, good bulk and good attack allows it to play a lot of differerent roles. For example, it is one of the best Wallbreaker and Sweeper with a nearly-unresisted coverage, Swords Dance and Scale Shot, but it's also one of te best Stealth Rock Setter thanks to its ability to threaten Defogger like Corviknight, Zapdos or Torndadus-T.
Garchomp has a lot of option that are playable, like great special coverage like the powerful Draco Meteor, Fire Blast or Earth Power which allows it to play a Mixed or Special Set. A lot of other options are playable.
Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Scale Shot

Garchomp @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect / Flamethrower

You have until Thursday, the August 17 to post you sets.

Good luck !

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
Community Leader
Garchomp @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP / 20 Atk / 60 SpD / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot / Rock Slide
- Substitute

This Garchomp set seeks to take advantage of the switches it forces as well as teams that aim to cripple it with status moves to set up and sweep teams or wallbreak. Scale shot allows it to snowball into a terrifying sweeper once its checks (e.g. Corviknight and Skarmory) are removed while rock slide can take out non-iron defence sets of the aforementioned two. 240 speed EVs with a jolly nature allow it to naturally outspeed base 100s, 188 HP EVs make it so that two seismic tosses/night shades are required to break its substitutes while 60 special defence EVs makes its substitutes tanky enough to potentially eat scalds from non-passive walls like the Slows.

Last edited:
:Garchomp:
Mixed Garchomp
Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 48 Atk / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance / Stone Edge / Stealth Rock

No introduction needed. If you are at all familiar with old gens, you know exactly what Mixed Garchomp is.
You've heard its legends, you've seen its power, and now, that power is being reborn into the realm of SS.
The EVs are fairly standard for Mixed Garchomp, the only difference being 48 Attack to ensure an OHKO on Band Tyranitar from full health, to allow Garchomp to consistently revenge kill it and use it as an opportunity to come in and start smashing.
Swords Dance is very easily the best choice in the last slot, as it ups Garchomp's potentcy to be able to muscle through would be checks to the set such as Hippowdon, Tapu Fini, and Magic Guard Clefable, Stone Edge is also a good option to be able to muscle past Assault Vest Tornadus, who otherwise takes on this set extremely well. Finally, Stealth Rock may also be considered if your team is in desperate need of a Stealth Rocker and cannot be fit anywhere else, however Garchomp much more prefers the options that bolster its potentcy to be able to wear down the opposing team.

This set pairs very well with Teammates that like foes such as Buzzwole, Hippowdon, Corviknight, Skarmory, Slowbro, Landorus Therian, and Tangrowth to be weakened or outright KO'd. Such teammates include Rapid Strike Urshifu, Kartana, Weavile, Zeraora, Tapu Koko, and Melmetal, as with Mixed Garchomp to lure and beat their usual checks, these Pokémon can become significantly more threatening when they hit the field, and in return. Many of these Pokémon can also assist in getting their checks into range of a surprise Draco Meteor or Fire Blast from Garchomp.

The best way to play this Garchomp normally into more defensive teams is to bluff a standard set by clicking Swords Dance when presented the opportunity, and bust through more passive or slower answers when they least expect it. This bluff is much harder to pull this off against more offensive teams and Landorus Therian can be quite the struggle occasionally. But, even with their specially defensive sets, they very much do not like it when Garchomp fires off a Draco Meteor, as it opens them up into range of so many other attacks that you could throw at it afterward.

Last edited:

uppa

did i play well ?
is a Top Artist

Offensive Trapper
Garchomp @ Soft Sand
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Whirlpool
- Protect

This set aims to trap and remove mons that seek to either check the SD Scale Shot set or defog the Hazard Setter set. Whirlpool + Protect allows chomp to force progress on common checks such as Lando-T, Torn-T, Tapu Fini, Slowbro, and Rillaboom by outpacing the opponent's recovery or regenerator and punishing the pivot moves that are needed to escape whirlpool. This set thrives with magnezone support, which futher baits its SD set to make its trapping more effective. It's no slouch offensively either, allowing it to perform well even when its opponents can play around its gimmick. Soft sand and an adamant natures allows it to better leverage its mono-stab, giving it a good chance to 2hko Clefable and outpace Slowbro's regenerator.

Last edited:
:ss/garchomp:
Defensive Trapper
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Def
Impish Nature
- Sand Tomb
- Protect
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake/ Stealth Rock

This niche set attempts to trap and scrape off any nasty non-flying hazard-setters you can think of. Moreover it can punish offfensive-pivots, choice band users and setup-sweepers like victini, kartana, Melmetal, shifu, buzzwole, weavile, crawdaunt, sd rillaboom, sd scizor with Rocky Helmet+Rough Skin chip damage or kick them off with Dragon Tail (a negative priority move that ensures they take a significant amount of chip damage before leaving). This Chomp set works brilliantly if crammed in hazard-stack and Sandstorm teams. It can even be deployed to stall in Trick room and Weather condtions.
252+ Atk Buzzwole Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Garchomp: 292-344 (69.5 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Garchomp: 320-378 (76.1 - 90%) -- approx. 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Garchomp: 247-292 (58.8 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Barraskewda Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def Garchomp: 302-359 (71.9 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Earthquake is easily chomper's strongest and most spammable stab move and it's just there to check and kill heatran, toxapex but since this set isn't really a offensive unit so you can instead run S-rocks too. The bulk and passive damaging capability ensures chomp can incessantly try to keep setting up rocks while preying upon spinners and u-turn defoggers.

Last edited:

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
Community Leader
While the trapper sets by Uppababy and Metagross are both very interesting (and honestly good in the right setup), I dislike how both just completely fall flat against some of the most common Garchomp switch-ins in the steel birds, especially ones equipped with shed shell to escape Magnezone (although soft sand earthquake is quite the threatening STAB for any team that relies on Pokemon neutral to ground type attacks to check Garchomp). I prefer Neon's chain Garchomp set for this week.

Last edited:

uppa

did i play well ?
is a Top Artist
Voting for Bulky Sub SD since sub lets you eq some checks like scarf lele rather than being blanked. Avoiding toxic and leech seed is also a good bonus.

My vote goes to offensive Whirlpool trapper. Concept is good but set and item are wack, just use fast SpD chomp with lefties to tank hits and stay around longer to stack Toxic and Whirlpool damage.

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
Community Leader
Week 4: Mew
mew gijinka.jpg

Art from yaz_minto
An OU mainstay that fell off a bit in generation 7, Mew has found more success in generation 8 due to the lower power level and more methodical metagame with its incredible versatility - its newfound access to spikes has now made it a strong suicide lead/utility hazard setter while cosmic power sets now have more opportunities to set up and sweep without fearing a sudden z-move blowing it away.

Mew @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Roost

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Body Press
- Roost

Mew @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

You have until 11:59pm EST on Thursday, 12th October to submit your sets.

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
Community Leader
Week 4: Dragapult
1702618688073.png

Art from Mato_Tsuyoi
The #1 Pokemon in the tier right now, Dragapult strikes fear into every team with its power and speed from its modest nature choice specs set. However, its 120 base attack stat allows it to run physical sets, to say nothing of utility special sets taking advantage of its access to both thunder wave and will-o-wisp.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

Dragapult @ Life Orb / Dragon Fang
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower

Dragapult @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp

You have until 11:59pm EST on Thursday, 21st December to submit your sets.

Hi! I haven't done one of these before but my friend passed me this crazy Dragapult team like 2 years ago and it's the most creative dragapult set I've ever seen, that's at least usable? Kinda sorta? I went back and tried to ladder with the team and I think the team sucks, not the set. Either way, the set.

Dragapult.jpg

Dragapult @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts/Phantom Force
- Substitute
- Disable
- Dragon Dance/Phantom Force

Basically, the idea is that you switch Dragapult in as you would with a regular Modest Specs Dragapult, except instead of clicking STAB shadowball you click substitute and Dragon Dance up. If a fairy comes in and tries to force you out, you click Disable, and I'm sure you get the idea. The set is entirely a gimmick and is walled by any fairy or normal type, or you don't get Dragon Dance boosts, but also Dragapult should only really ever run specs MAYBE Hex, but I always run Hex Shadow Ball 2 attacks specs if I'm doing Hex and let my teammates spread status. I played like 3 games real quick on the ladder to try and get replays with this set and I only won 1. Please watch the replay before reading on.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2014798616-jjgnzk77z7lae23kirq7hckgodnlpqhpw

Oh boy! Wasn't that a great dragapult set!!! ... I didn't use it once.... Just run modest specs. Please. If you're looking for another dragapult set, don't.

Last edited:
SubPult
:ss/dragapult:
Dragapult @ Leftovers :leftovers:
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball / Hex

While similar to other Dragapult sets, SubPult exchanges its power and mobility for baiting or walling certain targets such as Bisharp and Blissey. This set kinda sucks tbh but it's the only thing that hasn't been used yet. I'm really tired of trying to be any more innovative with a mon that's entirely explored.​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)