Resource SS RU Good Cores

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
approved by MrAldo
banner by Flareblitzkreig

Welcome to the SS RU Good Cores thread! A core is 2-3 Pokemon who have a significant amount of synergy with one another, able to help one another overcome their checks. In this thread, you can share cores you find effective as both a resource to new players, and to old players looking for something to build around. Offensive cores are comprised of Pokemon who effectively wear down one another's checks or take advantage of them in some way. Defensive cores are Pokemon that can work together defensively answer a large portion of the metagame. Balanced cores are typically something in between, like a breaker and a Pokemon capable of defensively answering its checks. All of these will be listed together in the archive, as there arent likely to be enough cores to justify separating them.

Guidelines for posting a core:
  • Provide an importable of the core for other people to use
  • Explain how the core works, and how the Pokemon in question synergize
  • Mention any notable weaknesses with the core, and optionally suggest some ways to cover them
  • Brevity is fine so long as the cores are sufficiently explained.
Cores will be added to the archive if I think they're reasonably viable and follow the guidelines above. Happy posting!

Last edited:

HailFall

I'll kick this thread off with a couple of cores

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Def / 248 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Mantine @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic / Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

Steelix + Mantine is a great defensive core for teams ranging from bulky offense to stall. Mantine checks a great number of Water-types that pose a problem for Steelix, such as Inteleon, Golisopod, and Milotic. Mantine also checks certain Fire-types like Ninetales and Charizard, as well as some Fighting-types like Passimian and Hitmonlee. In exchange, Steelix checks threats to Mantine like Heliolisk, Drapion, Silvally-Fairy, Vikavolt, and Braviary. On top of covering a great deal of the metagame on their own, these two also provide critical Stealth Rock and Defog support for the rest of the team.
However, the core is not without flaws. Salazzle is a threat, able to harass both Mantine and Steelix with Toxic and Knock Off their items. Certain Fighting-types like Virizion, Scrafty, Bewear, and Toxicroak are also tricky for this core to handle. Faster Pokemon like Choice Scarf Gardevoir or Passimian can handle the aforementioned threats. The core struggles to switch into Golurk, Dhelmise, and Rhyperior, so Tangela can be a great partner as well. Finally, powerful Special Attackers like Dragalge and Indeedee-F can overwhelm both Steelix and Mantine, so Umbreon can be a good partner for slower teams to provide an additional check to these threats.

Inteleon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Inteleon + Toxicroak is an offensive core that takes advantage of how Toxicroak can set up freely on a number of bulky Water-types like Milotic, Vaporeon, and non-Hurricane Mantine, which are the primary checks to Choice Specs Inteleon. Inteleon can easily bring Toxicroak in with U-turn on its checks and Toxicroak can proceed to wreak havoc due to having very limited defensive answers.
While this core is great at breaking through defensive teams, it is highly vulnerable to Choice Scarf users due to the fragility of both teammates, therefore it pairs well with pokemon who can provide some kind of defensive backbone. Klefki can check Choice Scarf Gardevoir and Goodra while also providing Spikes support and speed control through Thunder Wave. Dhelmise, Slowbro-G, and Dragalge can check Choice Scarf Passimian.

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
I like clicking buttons. Do you like clicking buttons? Well then, this offensive core was made for you!

:ss/dragalge: :ss/goodra:
Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Flip Turn
- Focus Blast

Goodra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

In my experience, the core is pretty straightforward and simple. Dragalge is your go-to answer for applying pressure against most teams because of the sheer power of a single Sludge Wave/Draco Meteor against neutral targets. And if a Steel-type even dares to switch into Dragalge, you simply pivot out into Goodra and deal with them using Fire Blast (yes they both have Specs, it works). With Spikes or Stealth Rocks support, this ends up being a net gain against the opponent even if they do switch out of Goodra. The EVs on Dragalge outspeed Mantine if you're wondering. With repeated Dragon-type moves, they end up wearing down each other's checks in order to facilitate a sweep from your teammates.
However, it's not all good for them. While they succeed againist bulkier teams, more offensive teams very rarely let them get in safely. Often, you will need a sack or a predicted double switch to start dealing damage, and while they have solid bulk, even a trade isn't guaranteed because their slow speed. A Steel-type such as Steelix or SpD Klefki helps deal with the constant barrage of Fairy- ,Ice-, and Dragon-type moves that will try to be directed at these two, and they set up hazards, which can greatly help chip walls that give these two trouble. A fast physical Choice mon such as Barraswekda or Passiman helps to break past specially defensive walls that give the core trouble. In particular, Heatproof Bronzong completely walls these two. Finally, a pivot can safely get these two in when they can't come in safely. A slow U-Turn from Xatu or a fast Volt Switch from Rotom can mean the difference between taking something out or being taken out.

Last edited:
:ss/hitmonlee: :ss/indeedee-f:
Indeedee-F (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Mystical Fire

Hitmonlee (M) @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Earthquake
- Bulk Up
- Stone Edge / Earthquake

This is a pretty well-known offensive core that uses indeedee psychic terrain to activate hitmonlee's unburden and turning him into a dangerous late game cleaner with it's unparalled speed after unburden. Indeedee helps hitmonlee by removing poison types that check hitmonlee, while hitmonlee can finish the dark and steel types that indeedee has trouble dealing with. Since this core aims to finish the game with hitmonlee, chip damage from spikes and stealth rocks really ease hitmonlee's job late game. Thus, spiker like kleki (or coalossal) makes good teammate, golisopod isn't a really good option here because first impression can be blocked by your own terrain.
Heliolisk and vikavolt can also helps by dealing with indeedee and hitmonlee check such as mantine and bronzong or other psychic types with their dark and bug coverage while also helping indeedee coming safely into the field with volt switch. Golurk or Scrafty are also a good options since they can deal with psychic, ghost, dark and steel types, helping indeedee even more.
Feel free to tell me if there's anything to change in that description cuz i suck a this and i might have forgotten to point out something important.

HailFall

Gigalith @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge / Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Toxic / Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

This is an incredibly sturdy defensive core against the majority of the tier's special attackers. Klefki's unique typing and resistances allow it to take on most offensive Psychic- and Dragon-types in the tier while also providing huge utility for its team. Unfortunately, its lack of reliable recovery means it can easily be worn down. In addition, it's vulnerable to common Fire-type coverage and sun teams. This is where gigalith comes in. With its massive special bulk, rock typing, and Sand Stream, it can both shut down sun and make Pokemon like Gardevoir and Goodra think twice before clicking fire coverage. It can safely take other miscellaneous hits as well if Klefki needs to be kept alive long term.
This core covers most special attackers, but still has issues dealing with certain Pokemon like Inteleon; therefore it works well alongside checks like Mantine and Milotic. Offensive Ground-types like Rhyperior and Golurk can pose a major threat, so tangela can be a good partner. Finally, the core is still vulnerable to certain Fighting-types like Passimian and Virizion, which can be handled by Pokemon like Slowbro-G and Vileplume.

Weezing
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Haze
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
This defensive core has been bringing me lots of fun times on the ladder, crushing the dreams of innocent 1100s as they encounter this heinous stall archetype. The plan with these two are simple - they cover each other's weaknesses well - both in types and in defenses. Weezing is only weak to psychic type with the levitate ability, which Umbreon is immune to. In addition, Weezing resists all 3 of Umbreon's weaknesses - being bug, fighting, and fairy. Weezing is primarily a physical defense sponge, running max/max bold with will-o-wisp is the bane of most physical attackers existence. This helps Umbreon deal with pokemon like physical fighting types, who often enjoy a free switch in on a wish or heal bell and gain a chance to set up. Weezing, due to its strong defensive bulk, sometimes doesn't appreciate a solid special hit with its modest 70 spdef. This is where Umbreon comes in - with a gargantuan 380 in spdef, and the access to wishtect, Umbreon proves a pretty solid counter to the things Weezing doesn't like - such as most specs users in the tier. Their synergy goes beyond these defensive synergies, however, - as the main thing this core does is eliminate the main thing holding Weezing back - a lack of recovery. Running rest is already a subpar recovery option on most pokemon, and is usually paired with sleep-talk and only used on a select few pokemon. Without sleep talk, Weezing struggles immensely with recovering HP - which hinders it from being a cornerstone of physical defensive pokemon. However, with Umbreon's ability to heal bell, Weezing can forgo the 2 turns burned while it is resting. This is extremely helpful for Weezing, as it is able to continue annoying the opponent with burns, hazes, and sludge bombs. Finally, this particular rendition of Weezing boasts one of the cleanest matchups vs Go(d)lurk - as levitate beats ground stab, itemless blocks polti, and Weezing resists fighting. Usually, Weezing will switch in on an ineffective move from Go(d)lurk and be able to wisp right back.
This core is by no means perfect. In my opinion, the core is a momentum sponge - and struggles with getting off the field once they get in. This core benefits significantly from pivot pokemon - such as Heliolisk, Scarf Passimian, Flip Turn Barraskewda, and many others. Also, like most defensive cores, the core is very passive. You aren't going to make headway quick without a burn on a physical attacker. As a result, this core restricts your playstyle in a way. For some, this might not be a fault at all, but keep it in mind. I think the core doesn't appreciate sun - as neither pokemon wants to toe-to-toe with solar power breakers. Please let me know if I screwed anything up! I hope what I said was helpful!

EDIT: I completely forgot about heat crash on Go(d)lurk. Something to sponge fire moves is definitely a helpful addition to this core, as it not only doesn't appreciate sun, but it discourages Go(d)lurk from clicking heat crash. Oops.

:dp/espeon: :dp/torkoal:
Espeon @ White Herb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Copycat
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hyper Voice

Torkoal @ Eject Pack
Ability: Drought
Quiet Nature
- Shell Smash
- Eruption
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

This balance core is basically a big meme. You use shell smash on Torkoal, then eject pack it up into Espeon, copycat with Espeon, and sweep with Stored Power. They both have their use outside of this meme.

:ss/salazzle: :ss/bewear:
Salazzle (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Corrosion
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic
- Knock Off

Bewear @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Double-Edge
- Drain Punch
- Darkest Lariat

This is a good offensive core I just invented. Salazzle is a great special wallbreaker that can status literally anything except Immunity Snorlax. Bewear is a great physical attacker that also destroys Snorlax. These two are a match made in heaven.

:ss/steelix: :ss/snorlax:
Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Head Smash
- Iron Defense

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 152 Def / 168 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Darkest Lariat
- Rest

What can I say? Its a physical and a special wall. Defensive core.

Aquarius Ghost ❤

Banned deucer.
Hi frens, I'm here with a core that has been reasonably very well for me.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Psychic

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Synthesis

Passimian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

This Semi-Defensive core (idk if it's a defensive or balance so I just went with semi demi wooho. ) made up of Tangela, Passimain, and Bronzong.
Bronzong's typing and defensive stats allow it to wall most special attacking breakers in the RU tier, such as Gardevoir, Dragalge, and Exploud without Bronzong these powerful breakers would be overwhelming to deal with. However, this team lacks a cleric and a wish passer so it could easily be worn down by status. Next up we have Tangela, with its insane Physical bulk, Grass-typing, and Regen as an ability, it is able to shut down most of RU's Physical attackers and punish them with Toxic+Synthesis stall, Golurk is a pretty big problem for this core because it has no other switch-ins rather than Tangela that's kind of the main reason why Tangela is on this core, also Tangela is a nuisance to deal with LOL (there are more stuff Tangela does, but I'm too lazy to put it in this description, pm me on showdown so I can tell you more abt how it helps this core). Next, we have Passimain, Passimain is basically this team's revenge killer / Drapion answer, blah blah Passi is self explainable. This core covers most special attackers and Physical attackers, but still has issues dealing with certain Pokemon like Toxicroak and Braviary; a countermeasure that works with this core is Sableye. Finally, this core is pretty frail against Fire-Types and Sun. For example, using this core you possibly have to sack something to bring in Passi safely to pressure sun teams, but Spdef Mantine works well with this core because it is able to tank an Overheat in sun from a Specs Charizard, while also being able to haze Ninetales Nasty plots, Leafon is easily handled by Tangela, Vileplume is handled by Bronzong, while Heliolisk is afraid of Close Combat from Passimain. Ty for reading guys!

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Metagame core coming up!

:gs/slowking: :gs/heracross:
Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Teleport

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off

Heracross is absolutely fucking absurd in its power level if it gets the correct move off, but oftentimes it’ll struggle to get on the field all that easily because of how it’s longevity is seriously lacking, so it doesn’t often want to chew a strong STAB attack if it wants to break in the long run.
Luckily for heracross, teleport slowking provides an easy and reliable way to get on the field safely and start dumpstering things. And as if it couldn’t be more easier to break, it can even provide future sight support on top of teleport, making switching into Heracross even MORE obscene, as the few mons that can chew a hit or two such as togekiss and geezing no longer become problems. I know this core works a lot with other mons like zarude and shit but this is likely the most notable one I know because of how good it is.

HailFall

Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower / Aura Sphere
- Defog / Heal Bell
- Roost

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam / Protect
- Seismic Toss / Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Togekiss and Registeel form a great defensive backbone for balance teams that can check a large portion of the metagame. Registeel's typing and bulk enables it to take on threats like Gardevoir, Sylveon, Crobat, Mimikyu, Necrozma, and Tornadus. Togekiss can cover threatening Fighting-types like Meinshao and Heracross, while also providing a check to Sharpedo, Diggersby, and Zarude. This core needs teammates that can handle offensive Fire-types like Entei, Chandelure, and Darmanitan. The core also needs teammates to check Electric-types like Raikou, Thundurus, and Xurkitree. Finally the core also struggles to handle some Water-types like Suicune and rain sweepers like Kingdra. Zarude can handle Suicune and serve as a check to some of the Electric-types. Suicune is a decent rain check that can also handle most offensive Fire-types. Seismitoad can block Volt Switches, very effectively answer Raikou, and check most rain sweepers and Suicune.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)