Rhyperior @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Step 1: get into a scenario where your rhyperior and opposing zarude are onto the field
Step 2: watch them power whip and profit

Self explanatory set but you lure grass types with rindo berry and OHKO back. Max hp ensures longer longevity with max atk to ensure the big damage on grass types. Standard rhyperior set otherwise.

Rock Polish + Meteor Beam
1624035355739.png

Rhyperior @ Power Herb
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Meteor Beam
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

This set takes advantage of Rhyperiors access to Meteor Beam and its incredible special move pool. Solid Rock as chosen over Lightning Rod since it gives it more opportunities to set up a rock polish and is less situational. The speed is enough to outspeed jolly cobalion after a rock polish
+1 252+ SpA Rhyperior Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 372-438 (115.1 - 135.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Rhyperior Meteor Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Crobat: 452-534 (120.8 - 142.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Rhyperior Earth Power vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 332-392 (106.4 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Rhyperior Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Incineroar: 218-260 (55.3 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Rhyperior Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Metagross: 284-336 (78 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Rhyperior Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 240-285 (55.2 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (EQ From opposing rhyp does >66% lol)
+1 252+ SpA Rhyperior Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka: (It dies)
+1 252+ SpA Rhyperior Meteor Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 332-392 (89 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Rhyperior Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 168-198 (45 - 53%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO (this calc is sad);

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
:bw/rhyperior:
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 132 HP / 184 Atk / 92 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

Rhyperior forces a lot of switches and can take advantage of that with Substitute, so it has an easier time wallbreaking and can't be as easily revenge killed. The HP EVs give Rhyperior 101 HP Substitute, so it can always Sub against Registeel (Heavy Slam doesn't break Substitute either). Then the Attack EVs are to always OHKO Togekiss and Mienshao with Stone Edge / Earthquake. 100 Speed EVs is for outspeeding Sassy Incineroar and the remaining EVs are invested in Sp. Def. to still decently handle Togekiss.

A floor Mat

The Official Floor Mat of Rarley Used
Trap and Slap (Rhyperior) @ Bright Powder
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mud-Slap
- Rollout
- Earthquake
- Block

(Tnx to Ywt, Avgg and Larso for set improvement)

The set engineers in the RU chat have made many sets before, but none quite like this one. This set went through various trials and tests to come out as pristine as it looks now. Not only does this set have the highest quality of engineering but, this set has the heart and soul of 4 passionate artists within it. As for the set, the goal is to ensure your opponent is having the least amount of enjoyment possible. You dodge a move ur not supposed to tnx to Bright Powder and proceed to trap and slap your opponent until they likely forfeit. EZ W!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you to everybody who participated this week! Here are this week's candidates:
Curse Rhyperior by TailGlowVM
Rock Polish + Weakness Policy by NEON_Voyager
SD 3 Attacks by Yourwelcomethanku
IronPress Rhyperior by nameless90
Rock Polish + Meteor Beam by TripleCx3
Substitute + SD by GoldCat
Block + Mud-Slap by A floor Mat
You may vote for one set, and you may not vote for your own set. You can also vote even if you didn't submit a set! If your set isn't listed above, then it was disqualified due to a lack of changes from the banned sets. Sorry! Have fun voting everybody! Voting for this week closes Wednesday June 23rd.​

Thank you to everybody who participated this week!
This week's winner is Block + Mud-Slap by A floor Mat!
Congratulations! Your set will be added to the hall of fame.
Let's move on to the next week!
:bw/flygon:
While technically not RU by usage at the time of writing, Flygon has still managed to establish itself as a very solid choice in the current metagame due to its good typing, respectable stats, and decent movepool. Flygon generally tends to play the role of a supportive pivot that utilizes its access to Defog and its Ground-typing paired with its ability Levitate to come in and remove hazards from the field consistently. However, can Flygon do even more than we already thought? Let's find out!
Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw

Flygon @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- U-turn
- Toxic / Defog
As always, please make sure to read the NBT Thread rules before posting! Cheers everybody! I'll see you on Sunday when I start the voting process.

Note: From here on out, I'm gonna be a bit more strict with gimmicky sets. Don't get me wrong, the memes are fun and all, but the point of this thread as described in rule #1 is more so to come up with creative sets designed to maximize a Pokemon's potential as opposed to just producing gimmicks. If you have a goofy meme set, please share it with the RU Heat Mons Thread instead! That thread could use the extra engagement anyways.​

Last edited:

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Dragon Dance Flygon
:ss/flygon:
Flygon @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Dragon Dance makes Flygon a decent sweeper thanks to its coverage, good speed tier allowing it to outspeed everything relevant except Choice Scarf Mienshao and Zarude with a boost, and typing that lets it set up on stuff like non-Ice Punch Rhyperior and Choice-locked Electric moves. Outrage and Earthquake are Flygon's best STAB moves, and Stone Edge is pretty much necessary because being completely walled by Togekiss is horrible. The item choice is team dependent: Life Orb makes Flygon much more immediately threatening, allowing it to OHKO Togekiss with +1 Stone Edge, but Lum Berry grants more setup opportunities and removes Outrage confusion one time.

Last edited:
Life Orb Wallbreaker
:bw/Flygon:
Deathwing (Flygon) (F) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Flygon's Coverage and STAB EQ make it a pretty good wallbreaker despite the low attack stat Life Orb gives it the edge it needs to be a good wallbreaker achieving many OHKOs and 2HKOs it would not normally. unlike the DD sets this set has Roost and U-turn. With Roost it can stay healthy throughout a game and check Rhyperior and Raikou throughout a game. U-turn allows Flygon to keep momentum and hit Grass-types like Zarude and Celebi who may suspect a DD set but come to quite the surprise when they get OHKOd by U-turn. U-turn also means Flygon can get away from Pokemon it normally could not break like Bronzong or put pokemon like Milotic, Gastrodon, or Vileplume into 2hko range of Life Orb Earthquake.

Last edited:
Bulky DD

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw/Stone Edge

I technically just posted this in Heat, but I 100% believe in this set and want to share it with the world.

Between the actual bulk and the switches it forces due to the threat of scarf, this thing finds a million opportunities to get to +1/+1, at which point it is faster than Band, stronger than Scarf, and has a thousand times the survivability of traditional DD Flygon. At +2, it's faster than +1 base 105s.

It's not gonna sweep anything, but it stays healthy enough to provide chip and open up holes throughout the match and has the bulk to let you scout sets with some confidence.

Dragon Claw vs Stone Edge is about your risk/reward comfort and your willingness to get hard-walled by Togekiss (and trace Gardevoir)

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Dragon Dance Flygon
Flygon @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Dragon Dance makes Flygon a decent sweeper thanks to its coverage, good speed tier allowing it to outspeed everything relevant except Choice Scarf Mienshao and Zarude with a boost, and typing that lets it set up on stuff like non-Ice Punch Rhyperior and Choice-locked Electric moves. Outrage and Earthquake are Flygon's best STAB moves, and Stone Edge is pretty much necessary because being completely walled by Togekiss is horrible. The item choice is team dependent: Life Orb makes Flygon much more immediately threatening, allowing it to OHKO Togekiss with +1 Stone Edge, but Lum Berry grants more setup opportunities and removes Outrage confusion one time.
Big fan of dd flyg! While discussing this set, figured id chime in to say Lum Adamant is my fav combo on dd flyg; adamant vs jolly doesnt change the relevant scarfers you outspeed at +1 (xurk and heracross), and the one-time status opportunity makes it far, far easier to sweep.

(Ill suggest one instead of just providing commentary at some point!)

Voyager

He didn't notice that the lights had changed
sub dd 'gon

Flygon @ Soft Sand/Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Substitute+Dragon dance is a fairly common combo as it eases prediction and allows flygon to not have to worry about status or intimidate. In some cases flygon can end up at +1 behind a sub. QuakeEdge is a great offensive combo and is all that flygon really needs. This set is obviously walled by bronzong and defensive flygon however the unique opportunities it presents make up for that.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Flygon @ Expert Belt
EVs: 236 Atk / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw
- U-turn

This riffs off of CB, which isn't particularly innovative or anything; EviGaro used it against me in RUPL, and Watashi used it against me (albeit in NU) for Grand Slam. However, CB can get into awkward positions versus an opponent that has multiple answers to Flygon's attacks, and many RU teams do. A core like Togekiss+Rhyperior abuses Flygon's choice lock; struggling to choose between clicking EQ on the rhyperior switch and Stone Edge on the Togekiss switch, they often just U-turn to guarantee that some sort of progress was made.

Adamant + Expert Belt gives Flygon the ability to lure in those answers to Choice-locked Flygon and punish them. For instance, in Turn 4 of the aforementioned RUPL game I switch from Togekiss to Metagross on a CB Stone Edge. Although the damage revealed Flygon's item to be CB, imagine if my opponent's Flygon was Expert Belt; staying in with Metagross would look like a horrible play.

(Full disclosure; I haven't tried this yet! it looks very promising though i swear, particularly with a partner to lure gastro into taking a Toxic since U-turn is very useful to wear it down over time)

Thanks to everybody who participated and submitted a set this week! We had a relatively low submission count for this week, so I'm gonna do something a bit unusual and submit a set of my own for this week. Everything else is gonna work the same though, don't worry!

Hone Claws + Scale Shot
:bw/flygon:
Flygon @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This set is pretty funky, but nonetheless I think it's a neat idea! Basically, you click Hone Claws as soon as the opportunity reveals itself, which gives you more than 100% accuracy on all of your moves. This makes both Scale Shot and Stone Edge a bit more reliable. Scale Shot boosts Flygon's speed, since without Dragon Dance, this otherwise wouldn't be possible to do with this set. The last two moves are more or less self explanatory: Earthquake is Ground STAB, and Stone Edge is for mauling birds and the like. With more than 100% accuracy and at +1 attack, Stone Edge can actually yield consistent results throughout a game! Look at that!

Anyways, with that out of the way, here's all the submissions for this week!
Dragon Dance by TailGlowVM
LO 3 Attacks + Roost by Yourwelcomethanku
Bulky DDance by carbonlifeform
Specially Offensive Lure by Nohtori
Substitute + DDance by NEON_Voyager
Expert Belt Attacker by Expulso
Hone Claws + Scale Shot by A Very Gay Girl

As per usual, you can vote for one set and you can't vote for your own set. Please see the NBT Thread rules or DM me directly if you have any questions! Otherwise, pick whichever set you like the most! Voting will close on Wednesday June 30th. Cheers everybody! I'll see you when voting is over!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)