Project SS RU Next Best Thing - On break

Thanks to everybody who voted! This week's winner is Expert Belt Attacker by Expulso!
Congratulations, your set will be added to the Hall of Fame!

Normally, this is the part where I announce next week's mon, but tier shifts are tomorrow so I'm gonna be waiting one more day before I announce anything mostly just because it would be a bit odd if the mon I was going to cover unexpectedly rose to UU the day after I announced it for this week's thread. So, with that being said, I'll see y'all tomorrow! Cheers!​

This week's mon is...
:bw/chandelure:
Chandelure!
Chandelure is one of the most dangerous wallbreakers in the RU metagame right now. Ghost- + Fire- type STAB combined with a SpAtk stat that rivals Kyogre, this thing is a monster. I could go on all day about how good this thing is, but NBT thread is more fun than that so let's jump straight in!
Chandelure @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball / Hex
- Toxic
- Energy Ball / Protect
Please read these rules before posting! Submissions will close on Sunday most likely, but since I started a day late this week, I might extend the timeframe until Monday depending on what I hear from y'all. Have fun posting! Cheers!​

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
SubCM Chandelure
:ss/chandelure:
Chandelure @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower

This is an old Chandelure set used in past gens of UU. While Chandelure's statistical bulk is poor, it can utilise its decent set of resistances and two immunities to set up on stuff like Scarf Darmanitan, Mienshao, and Heracross's STAB moves, and Substitute allows it to block status from opposing Pokemon, giving more setup opportunities. Heavy-Duty Boots are probably most effective for the hazard immunity, but teams with good entry hazard removal can use Leftovers so Chandelure can create more Substitutes. Flamethrower is used over Fire Blast because the power isn't important when you're mostly attacking at +1 or +2, and it has better accuracy.

Last edited:
:bw/Chandelure:
Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Overheat
- Flamethrower

Chandelure can take the role of a Choice Scarf user pretty well so long rocks are adequately handled with a teammate like Defog Flygon. Chandelure is quite threatening even as a Choice Scarfer thanks to its STAB combination and spa stat potentially cleaning up lategame or cripple the opponent early game with Trick. Trick is able to cripple would be safe switch ins like Milotic and Incineroar very hard.. Overheat is able to pick up OHKOs that Flamethrower could not guranteed such as vs Celebi, Metagross, and just being able to pick off Pokemon from a greater damage range.

Last edited:

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
Reserving Attract

No Fun Allowed (Chandelure) (F) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Attract
- Toxic
- Fire Spin
- Taunt

Incineroar has an 88.1% chance of rolling male in the battle, thus this is a 88.1% chance of being a terrible person! With good luck, you too can be the worst person on earth. You turn 1 Toxic on the switchin, and start the toxic clock. Turn 2 you Fire spin to prevent it from switching, and they'll likely knock off since you aren't normally immidiately threatening. Turn 3 they've likely seen enough and will try to pivot out, you taunt here and keep it down, now down 4 turns of toxic and it's getting desperate, so it'll knock. Here you show why you don't deserve to see heaven's pearly gates, and attract, which you can also use the previous turn as well if you are concerned about taking too much damage, allowing yourself to beat incineroar 1v1. With this you can play your odds aswell vs things like Milotic, Gastrodon, and Snorlax if you also think/know they are male it the battle. Anyway i'm going to go purchase some lottery tickets and kick some puppies.

Last edited:
Hey everybody! I had some minor mishaps this week and I forgot to manage the NBT thread properly. It seems like a lot of folks weren't aware that the new Pokemon was up because I forgot to change the title, and I completely forgot to start voting today, so I'd like to push things back a little bit. Submissions for this week will now be extended until this Sunday, and voting will start from then and continue until the following Wednesday. Thank you to Nohtori for reminding me to update the thread, I appreciate it! Anyways, since this thread is going to be on a pseudo-hiatus/extension for a week, feel free to PM me with any ideas for Pokemon you would like to see in upcoming NBT threads! Contact info is in my signature.

First of all I haven't posted in months and never in a thread like this so here's something I found fun and worked decently

:ss/chandelure:
Chandelure @ Assault Vest
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Clear Smog

Assault vest allows you to blanket check many special attackers in the tier and utilize Chandelure's great typing. Speed is to outspeed common rest/talk suicune as well as 0 speed cresselia and milotic.

Chandelure's naturally high spa allows it to still dent most mons with it's coverage.

Clear Smog is for calm mind and other setup mons like Reuniclus and Suicune. If you're like me and you somehow always manage to let Reuni get a cm off this could help.

Some calcs:
:ss/suicune:
(this Chandelure outspeeds rest/talk)
0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 248 HP / 200+ SpD Assault Vest Chandelure: 86-104 (26.6 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
&
0 SpA Chandelure Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 158-188 (39.1 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

:ss/reuniclus:
0 SpA Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 114-135 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
&
0 SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Reuniclus: 270-320 (63.6 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

:ss/noivern:
252 SpA Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 200+ SpD Assault Vest Chandelure: 94-112 (29.1 - 34.6%) -- 8.7% chance to 3HKO

:ss/raikou:
252 SpA Raikou Scald vs. 248 HP / 200+ SpD Assault Vest Chandelure: 88-104 (27.2 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

(chandelure 2hkos with fireblast)

and lastly

:ss/cresselia:
32 SpA Cresselia Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 200+ SpD Assault Vest Chandelure: 15-18 (4.6 - 5.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever

:ss/Chandelure: :choice specs:
Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball/ Protect/ Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Good breaker that can trick incen or umbrella to cripple them. EBall is standard but protect/sub eases prediction letting you u deny progress of those mons. Sub is better punish while tect is more reliable.

Flame Charge Chandelure

Chandelure @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Flame Charge
- Energy Ball

General idea
Despite the Timid nature and a fully invested Spe, Chandelure is held back by its own middling Spe.
The idea behind this new set is to grab a +1 Spe on a predicted switch while dealing some chip damage and this is possible because Chandelure is able to create free turns towards many slower monsters due its high SpA.

Fire Blast + Shadow Ball + Energy Ball are wonderful coverage moves.

With a +1 Spe, Chandelure is able to reach 426 Spe points, enough to speed tie with a +1 Gardevoir, Regidrago, Togekiss.

Last edited:
Thanks for participating this week, everybody! It's voting time! Here are this week's submissions:
Substitute Calm Mind by TailGlowVM
Choice Scarf by Yourwelcomethanku
Fire Spin + Attract by Luna's Banned now
Overheat + Eject Pack by Nohtori
Assault Vest by E4 Bruno Mars
Choice Specs by VoolPool
Offensive Flame Charge by nameless90

Guidelines for voting can be found here! In summary, you can vote for 1 set, and you can not vote for your own set. Have fun voting everybody! I'll be back on Wednesday to announce the winner and start the next week of NBT!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)