Project SS UU Research Week - UU RESEARCH - Week 42 Roost Hydreigon and Any sets Crobat - New System !

I had already been using Conkeldurr a lot recently, so I didn't feel like using it this week although I will still give some thoughts on its place in the current metagame. I mostly spent my time testing Choice Specs Regieleki as I already knew the screens set would be good.

Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 9.17.24 PM.png

Choice Specs Regieleki

regieleki_shiny2.png

Regieleki @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Swift / Electro Ball

SYNOPSIS
Regieleki sports that classic Superman syndrome - it hits super hard but it has one crippling weakness: electric immunes. I went on a quest to find the best way of circumventing that Kryptonite in order for Choice Specs Regieleki to perform as consistently as possible. In general, this set is very matchup dependent, with it either going on a streak killing half the opponent's team, or with it accomplishing very little.

The rise of mons like Zeraora and Nidoqueen definitely make this set a bit shaky, but with the right support and plays I have had Eleki beat down teams that even had 2 electric immunes. However, even if Regieleki is unable of breaking through a team, its ridiculous speed stat still gives it an important niche of acting as a revenge killer / speed control. Even with a modest nature Zeraora still outspeeds +1 Salamence, scarf Victini, and everything below, which is pretty insane. Modest Specs Tbolt also KOs both those mons from full (its a roll on Victini) so I think Eleki's potential as a revenge killer should not be overlooked.

THE SET
Should be pretty self-explanatory considering it only gets like 15 moves. Volt Switch and Thunderbolt are a given, the former for momentum and the latter as it's its best STAB option. Rapid Spin is a cool as Eleki does force a lot of switches so you can get cheeky and clear away hazards. Swift might seem like a joke but unfortunately that just shows how desperate my boy is. At the very least, it does 3hko most of the relevant electric immunes, and it can be really annoying for your Eleki to be stopped by a 15% health Zeraora or something. Electro ball is also something I tried because it does 63% minimum to Amoongus and it can 2hKO AV Tangrowth after rocks (if its helmet then it straight up dies lol). Unfortunately Electro Ball is not full power on Chansey if you're running modest (trash move), however a timid nature 2hKOs Chansey 82% of the time after rocks, which is insane for a special attacker. If you decide to run Electro Ball you should run Timid, also allows you to outspeed +1 Nihilego and Venusaur in sun.

TEAMBUILDING

I found Slowking to a superb partner for Regieleki as Future Sight makes ground types not named Krookodile think twice before switching in on Eleki. Also teleport helps brings it in safely as this little ball of energy has absolutely zero defensive capabilities. I also liked Scizor in the same vein as it often brought Eleki in on mons that it threatened such as Celesteela and defensive Salamence.

Offensively I found the only good ice types in the tier - Kyurem and Mamoswine - to be great partners for Eleki for they really punish the opponent for mindlessly switching in their ground types or for trying to pivot in Amoongus/Tangrowth on an electric move. Kyurem even beats Zeraora 1v1 as it easily lives Close Combat and can knock it out with Earth Power.

With much difficulty, I finally managed to make a decent team using Zoroark as a lure for Eleki. While Zoroark isn't that good of a mon in UU, it can catch the opponent off guard and allow Regieleki to break through teams it has no business beating. I only used Choice Specs Zoroark as I wanted to get the biggest hit off I can on mons such as Zeraora and Nidoqueen who mistakenly try to switch into my "Regieleki." Being able to trick away my specs has come in handy against stuff like Chansey and that dumb Cosmic Power Mew set. Most of the time I disguise Zoroark as Regieleki, although sometimes I find a Slowking or Rhypherior facade to be useful.

I did try Ring Target Klefki as a partner before quickly realizing that set was dumpster juice. For one thing, this strategy doesn't even work on two of the main electric immunes in the tier: Zeraora and Krookodile (Ring Target doesn't affect Volt Absorb while the latter is immune to Prankster). Second, keys without leftovers is quite a pitiful sight to behold. The teams I made with it aren't worth posting.

CONCLUSION
The 2 main things holding back Choice Specs Regieleki are it's lack of coverage and it's paper-thin defenses. However, it can often serve as a win con late game due to its ridiculously maxed out power and speed, forcing the opponent to play very carefully with their electric immune or risk flat out losing. Even if the opponent still has healthy counters, Regieleki is still not useless. Eleki's speed allows it to serve as a potent revenge killer for pretty much most of the sweepers in the tier, from Automotize Celesteela to Dragon Dance Gyarados and Salamence. It can also abuse the switches it forces so often to spin hazards, which is nice since the only other spinner in the tier is Tentacruel.

Overall, I don't think this set is nearly as bad as some players claim it to be, although I will admit it has consistency problems. I'd give Choice Specs Regieleki a B.

Dual Screens Regieleki

regieleki_shiny3.png

Regieleki @ Light Clay
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

SYNOPSIS
I didn't use this set as much as because I already knew it would be good and wouldn't require nearly as much support as the Choice Specs set. Anyway, I've seen most people run Explosion over Tbolt on this Eleki set. I find that a bit of a waste as even without a boosting item Regieleki is super strong and can screw a lot of the sweepers on opposing hyper offense teams. Instead of using it as a suicide lead, I used it more as a breaker / speed control that could set up screens on the expected switch into an electric immune, so it could still support the team even when its walled.

THE TEAM

CONCLUSION
Not too much to say as Screens Offense is the most dominant playstyle as of right now. A screens setter that also removes hazards is a very cool niche for Regieleki, the only mon coming close to that role was Xatu, which isn't nearly as good. Regieleki is about as good as Ninetales-Alola at getting up screens, if not a little bit better. Probably rank this set a B+.

A Word on Conkeldurr
Again, I didn't use this mon that much this week because I had already been using it a ton before in the meta, so I still feel qualified enough to give a few thoughts on it. Getting to the point, I think Conkeldurr is alright. The meta is really fast and aggressive, with Screens being on every other team, so Conk struggles a bit to keep up. Against hyper offense, Conk is usually only able to revenge something with Mach Punch or to force a 1 for 1. Conversely I do think Conk is an underrated pick on Screens Team. I got caught off guard by a Bulk Up Conk on Screens that was running Facade, Mach Punch, and Drain Punch; I suppose Knock Off isn't too crucial as we gave all the ghost types the boot.

Also, I have seen a rise in stall since the Blaziken suspect, and Conk obviously goes in against those teams, with stall's only counter-play being fat Mence. Still, I don't believe this mon is anywhere near the A rank it's currently sitting at on VR. Perhaps if the meta resembled DLC 1 it would be top tier, but as of right now its B+ material.

Footnote: might update Ladder Peak as well as Replays if I decide to ladder more.

Attachments

Last edited:
This week was very WILD for me - I started off using both Regieleki and Conk on the same team, then realized Regieleki wasn't that great except in HO so moved to stand alone HO team with Regieleki and no Conk, then used Conk on a balance team w/o Regieleki and it was terrible, and then finally concluded with a new HO team with Regieleki and Bulk Up Conk that was, to my surprise, quite effective. Let's start from the beginning:

TEAM HISTORY: I will go through all the different teams I used during this experiment, and then I'll break down my analysis into two sections, one for each mon, per usual.

TEAM #1: :Regieleki: :Conkeldurr: :Tapu Bulu: :Tentacruel: :Rhyperior: :Celesteela: - Balance Team 1
TEAM #2: :Regieleki: :Celesteela: :Gyarados: :Zygarde-10%: :Azumarill: :Blaziken: - HO Eleki Team 1
TEAM #3: :Conkeldurr: :Latias: :Tapu Bulu: :Tentacruel: :Rhyperior: :Celesteela: - Conk Balance Stand Alone 1
TEAM #4: :Conkeldurr: :Reuniclus: :Tapu Bulu: :Tentacruel: :Rhyperior: :Celesteela: - Conk Balance Stand Alone 2
TEAM #5: :Regieleki: :Conkeldurr: :Moltres-Galar: :Gyarados: :Zygarde-10%: :Blaziken: - HO Conk+Eleki Team 1
TEAM #6: :Regieleki: :Conkeldurr: :Moltres-Galar: :Gyarados: :Krookodile: :Blaziken: - HO Conk+Eleki Team 2

Regieleki

:Regieleki:

SETS USED:

Regieleki @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Wild Charge
- Extreme Speed
- Explosion
- Volt Switch

-

Regieleki @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ancient Power
- Hyper Beam
- Volt Switch

-

Regieleki @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Explosion
- Volt Switch

-

SUMMARY: I am going to keep this fairly short, because Regieleki is a very simple mon. #1: The Band set is not good. You probably already guessed that. But it is very not good and nobody should ever use it. It did 50% to a Regidrago with Wild Charge which, while may seem like good damage for a resisted attack, is far below expectations for the damage it would need to do. It also did 77% to a lead Mew. Regieleki needs to OHKO things to be viable as an offensive threat, and this set was just not it.

I changed to Specs which, while it was better, still did not quite live up to what it needed to do. A Specs Hyper Beam is not enough to KO Krookodile, and Krookodile isn't exactly a bastion of defense, so Eleki is pretty out of commission while there is a ground mon on the other side. The damage is good against frailmons and will OHKO any frailmons that don't resist it - but it won't KO anything that has some sort of survivability investment. For example, I was not able to OHKO a Metagross with HP investment with Thunderbolt. Again, Eleki is too frail to be going about not OHKO-ing things. But frailmons like Blaziken fall easily - Specs Volt Switch actually OHKO'd Blaziken in one of my games. So, a standard specs set is, to me, not that great, as it will run into too many roadblocks. It's still MUCH MUCH better than the band set though, and if you run into a team with 0 elect resists then you can obviously wreak havoc with Volt Switch + Thunderbolt.

Finally, the screens set is actually quite good. It is the fastest non-prankster screen setter in the game, so it is all but guaranteed to get them up. Additionally, exploding gives you immediate momentum to switch to your sweeper of choice. Initially I tried it on my cheesy HO team that I was normally using, but once I added Conk to the HO squad and added Krookodile for rocks, the team really took off. I wouldn't say it was taking off necessarily because of Regieleki - I was using things like Gyarados and Blaziken which are of course very good HO mons to initiate total destruction. But Eleki was a solid pick to enable these sweepers to do what they needed to do. The team would probably also work with another screener instead of Eleki just fine - but Eleki is definitely good enough to be a solid screens option for any HO team.

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246563142 - Eleki doing only 50% to Regidrago with Banded Wild Charge
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246849364 - Eleki doing only 77% to Mew with Band Wild Charge, then dying to unboosted Gyarados
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246852903-aurm7bookzbc8anxmems2l1i1jcsw9upw - Eleki doing 85% to Krook with Specs Hyper Beam
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246898581 - Eleki OHKOs Blaziken with Volt Switch.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246902725 - Eleki does 84% to Metagross with Specs TBolt
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246913908 - Eleki gets OHKO'd by KNOCK OFF Krook, unboosted.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246916058 - Standard Screens + Kaboom from the start, works fine.
I have a ton more HO replays but there isn't much else to show - it does the same thing every game

CONCLUSION: Band Eleki is very bad, never use it. Specs Eleki is not good - consider not using it, but it isn't the worst. Screens Eleki is solid - consider it as your HO screen setter.

OVERALL RATING: F for Band, C for Specs, B+ for Screens

-
-
-

Conkeldurr

:ss/Conkeldurr:

SETS USED:

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab

-

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Facade
- Drain Punch

-

SUMMARY: I have to say - I am disappointed in Conk. On paper it looks like such an amazing breaker - but the way the current UU metagame is set up, it never really gets a chance to get going. On the balance teams, the only thing it really seemed good for was a very strong Mach Punch. And even then, you aren't an auto-KO to standard things even if you're Super Effective (I did about 80% damage to flame orb boosted Mach Punch to a Magnezone). There's also too many things in the meta that deal big damage to it. One game I even got OHKO'd by a Psycho Cut Metagross. It even took 81% damage by a Guts Heracross Close Combat, and I was at max HP invest. Additionally, its standard set gets stalled out by things like Amoonguss, and running Fire Punch means you have nothing for fairies. In general, Conk was the worst member of my team while playing with balance, and I can say with utmost confidence.

After a ton of games of being endlessly frustrated with Conk's lack of being able to do much of anything, I decided to give the Bulk Up HO set a shot. I added Conk to the Eleki HO team just to see what would happen. I used the Totally-Walled-By-Ghosts set of double Fighting + Facade. This thing was actually very solid. Facade was a OHKO to things like Latias, and I could stay in under screens to KO it. Screens allow Conk to set up once and then with +1 and Burn boosted Mach Punch, it actually CAN OHKO the things that it's SE against, and the things that it can't, it can usually KO with Facade or Drain Punch to restore health. It doesn't have a lot of lasting power - it will eventually get overwhelmed and die to something. But with Drain Punch it can last long enough under screens to really destroy most of the enemy team. Unless they have a ghost and they have figured out that you don't have Knock Off. But who runs ghosts these days?

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246563142 - Conk on balance, getting a couple Mach Punch KO's, which is one of the only things it was good for.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246852903-aurm7bookzbc8anxmems2l1i1jcsw9upw - Conk getting constantly forced out by Victini, of all things.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246898581 - Conk losing bad to Amoonguss
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246902725 - Conk gets OHKOd by a Psycho Cut Metagross
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1246988447 - Conk takes 81% from a Heracross, then fails to KO Magnnezone with Mach
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1247039163 - Conk actually does some clean up work, but ultimately can't handle Chandelure since it gets outsped and KO'd.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1249500340 - Conk loses the one on one drain game v. Tangrowth
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1249513196-idjg04gj1i87osspon44a1hn5bguyvvpw - Conk takes about 80% damage from Salamence Dual Wing Beat
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1249531740-r519a11zg9gcfsrdv1l8z2tglj2svznpw - Conk fails to take out defensive Latias w/ Knock Off, but survives a Psyshock.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1249838815 - Conk's first HO game, and gets crit by a Keldeo to die behind screens
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1249843962 - Conk OHKO's a Latias with Facade behind screens
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1249877504 - Conk does 45% to Regieleki with Mach (before Flame Orb boost)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1249906216-sxa0bghxfzb29gx3bx1fzfnlwesj3i9pw - +1 Drain Punch KO's Salamence at 66%, and Conk wreaks some havoc behind screens

CONCLUSION: Conk is not the scary monster you think it is, but put it behind screens w/o any Ghosts around and it can pack quite a punch. It is still useable on balance teams, but I think the UU meta has to clean itself up a bit before it can really thrive.

OVERALL RATING: B+

-
-
-

Would post my final team, but it has Blaziken soooooooooooo yeah

Glad someone else more capable than I tried the Zoroark Regieleki team thing I was vaguely considering. I haven't touched ladder again yet, so I have nothing else to add beyond noting that you appear to have accidentally posted the same URL twice for both the "Stall can't handle the Ball" and "Eleki again beating HO" replays though, Galactiknight.

Last edited:
Glad someone else more capable than I tried the Zoroark Regieleki team thing I was vaguely considering. I haven't touched ladder again yet, so I never nothing else to add beyond noting that you appear to have accidentally posted the same URL twice for both the "Stall can't handle the Ball" and "Eleki again beating HO" replays though, Galactiknight.
Thank you for the feedback I fixed the replays

SSRW25 Minh

Gonna try this out cuz it seems interesting. Theorycrafting has been one of my favorite aspects of learning any competitive metagame and this seems like the perfect opportunity to try it!
Hi, the week should over by now, but we will still wait for the drops on January 1st, you still have time to make your report before that date.
Next week start january 2nd

Now that the drops have arrived, we can start week 26! But first of all, congratulations again to Galactiknight for winning the week!

As always, don't forget to look at the date for the SSRW26 tournament at the end of this post ! Now, the summary of the pokemons tested this week :

3 sets of Regieleki have been tested. The physical set was not very convincing, despite a powerful stab (Wild Charge) and an additional option: Extreme Speed. This set is not powerful enough and still doesn't allow Regieleki to passed pokemon ground like Nidoqueen or Krookodile. The Choice specs set is much more dangerous and is able to destroy very easily a team without electrical immunity with thunderbolt and Volt Switch. Unfortunately, the same problem, this pokemon is always blocked by Zeraora and other ground types, always more and more numerous in UU. The last set is the screen set. Regieleki's fantastic speed allows him to place the screens easily, to be able to rapid spin and explode to take a direct advantage in the game.

Conkeldurr can be summed up in 2 words, hit hard but slow. With the combination of guts + a monstrous attack base, no pokemon can come easily on the facade + Close Combat combot. Set up sets have also been tested using Bulk Up, but the real strength of Conkeldurr is its ability to break teams and also to finish weakened pokemons with Mach Punch.

Next Week, New pokemons !

Thundurus (M)
Ability: Any
Evs : Any
-
-
-
-

Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Victory Star
Evs : Any
-
-
-
-

Our first choice was Thundurus. This pokemon is more and more imposing in UU, compared to Thundurus-Therian. With a speed base of 111, Thundurus is able to outspeed threatening pokemons in UU, like Latias, Keldeo, Terrakion or Nihilego. Its powerful dual type and its access to Nasty Plot makes it threatening under the screens. Physical or Special? Prankster or Defiant? Breaker or Sweeper?

Victini was our 2nd choice, this pokemon has imposed itself as one of the biggest threat of the UU. The Choice band and Choice scraf sets are destructive, but we will focus on the Boots Victini set. This Victini is able to come full of choices on the rocks and put a lot of pressure. The Set boots can be both Physical and Special, offering a lot of versatility to Victini.

New :

We've made Research Week easier than ever to participate now! All you need to do is copy the optional template below when you make your research findings post. Just copy, plug in your findings, and you're done! WOW so easy! (You are not obligated to use this template, you can still post in your own way however you feel).

INTRO: (write a little blurb here, w/e you want)

ZAPDOS-GALAR

:Zapdos-Galar:

SETS USED:

Zapdos-Galar @ z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: x
x Nature
-
-
-
-

(Any other sets used, list those too)

SUMMARY: (include good cores, good matchups, bad matchups, etc.)

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Zapdos shows it is the bravest bird")
(link) - (add commentary, e.g. "Here Zapdos fails to be anything more than fried chicken")
(more replays - put as many as are relevant!)

CONCLUSION: (final thoughts)

OVERALL RATING: (w/e you want, D through S is standard but you can use whatever scale you prefer)
-
:ss/Nidoqueen:

SETS USED:

Nidoqueen @ z
Ability: x
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Nidoqueen ascends to the throne")
(link) - (add commentary, e.g. "Here Nidoqueen has truly abdicated the crown")

OVERALL RATING: (w/e you want, D through S is standard but you can use whatever scale you prefer)

In order to participate you must do the following:

Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW26 Draconic or SSRW26 Cake) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
This week will end on January 9 at 11:59 PM GMT+0. Have fun everyone!!

-

RESEARCH WEEK 26 TOURNAMENT!

Time:
January 3, 2020 @ 3:30 PM GMT-5
Topic: What if Regenerator did not exist in Gen 8 UU?
Rules: No Pokemon with the ability Regenerator during this tournament

There is NO SIGN UP required to participate in the tournament! It is a roomtour in the UU PS Room, so just show up at the designated time, with a team ready to go, and you are in! The winner will receive a very super special MENTION and TAG in a post here! How amazing! (And the winner each week may be memorialized later somewhere). Good luck everyone! And have fun!

Last edited:
SSRW26 Test Test

I've been meaning to mess around with Thundurus(-Incarnate) anyway, so I'll be using that exclusively since I hate Victini. I'll also try to stick with the "Test Test" alias for future Research Weeks since the "Luddite" thing was mainly just a Regieleki joke.

RESEARCH WEEK 26 TOURNAMENT - NO REGENERATOR

Congratulations to Amane Misa on winning the Week 26 Research Tournament, featuring No Regenerator! Special shout out to rng is a skill on placing second!

Here is the finals replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1255283356

So how did a no regen meta work out?

Well, it worked out very fast. With no Regenerator, common regen cores like Slowking/Amoonguss could not abuse the HP Regen switch out. Most players went with offensive teams, given that many current balance and stall teams use at least one regenerator mon. However, there were still some balance teams with Chansey being used, proving that you can still balance out the metagame without needing to plug in regen mons. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view), Regen is not actually going away any time soon, but if it does in the future, we know that the metagame will still be safe.

Thank you to everyone who participated!

And be sure to sign up for Research Week 26 below! We are looking at Thundurus-I and Boots Victini this week, so grab your research book, fire up those test tubes, and let's get to work!

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's relatively early in the week but I'm feeling like I've laddered enough.

Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Toxic

I am not saying Choice Scarf or Band are bad on Victini but I'm feeling like this is the best set it has because it grants Victini so many more opportunities for a free turn and you'll see how dangerous that is in some replays.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1255747927-4m9x7o3eu0796w037fztdgm4iv2hn8opw - It was a relatively high-ladder game iirc. Victini got 5 kills in it because it didn't mind switching into Stealth Rocks and applying pressure throughout the whole game.

I had a lot of fun using Victini, and again, I think that HDB is its best set (with Toxic). The amount of free turns it can potentially generate is crazy for a Rock-weak Pokemon (ban boots). I don't know its rank in the VR but it should probably be A+.

Thundurus (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic / Focus Blast / Sludge Wave

That's the Thundurus set I mainly used. I didn't like it at all. It's obviously powerful and dangerous but Zeraora's usage is really high and it nearly counters this Pokemon. Not to mention a lot of teams run Krookodile alongside Zeraora. Due to that, every second game is mostly about getting a few 50-50s right which isn't ideal with what you're trying to do with Thundurus.

On top of that there's the 4-moveslot (3 in that case, with NP) syndrome: Thunderbolt and Grass Knot are must but then you must decide on either Focus Blast, which lets you hit Chansey and Zeraora relatively hard and is also a good mid ground play vs Zeraora + Krookodile teams. However, it hurts when you make an amazing 200iq prediction but end up missing Focus Blast and Thundurus also hates being walled by Amoonguss and Nidoqueen. Then there's Psychic which hits Amoonguss and Nidoqueen but means you're having a much harder time vs Chansey and Zeraora and Psychic also isn't mostly a good mid ground play so that sucks. I haven't tried Sludge Wave yet but in theory it can work because it hits Tangrowth and Zeraora harder than Psychic.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1255625268-vo808a25dyr2hc6lafeopamhvt0zaf1pw - my opponent played poorly around my Thundurus so it got a few kills and prevented Suicune from humiliating me.

Other than NP I gave a shot to Knock Off/Thunder Wave + 3 attacks as well as to Choice Specs but all of the sets had the same problem. Maybe just an AoA is the best option and I've been using it wrong the whole time but idk. I hate myself for saying it but I'm feeling like Thundurus-T might potentially be better because Volt Absorb + a higher SpA give it a much easier time against Zeraora and friends.

Again, I might be using it wrong but based of my experience I'd give it like B.

Here's the team I've been using if anybody wants giving it a try. It's not the best team because it's weak to Dragon-types but it is good enough to get you to top 10 (haven't got there this time but it I hadn't stopped I would've gotten there).

:

https://pokepast.es/2e21b81cf4447567

1609837678624.png

^my ladder score with this team (37W-4L)

:ss/Victini:

EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 172 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

I chose to research Heavy-Duty Boots on Victini for this Research Week. This was definitely one of the less successful RWs for me, but I don't think it was due to Victini at all - perhaps just difficulty in finding the right team to go with it or a difficult ladder. As I went through this Research Week, I decided to experiment with a bulkier Victini set, since most of the time the goal would be to get Victini in and press V-Create. The given EVs allow Victini to OHKO Celesteela every time with V-Create. I chose to maximize Victini's special bulk to allow it to use its typing to switch in on the strong Psychic-type attacks in the tier and to allow it more opportunities to come in on Volt Switch users as well. I had initially gone with physical bulk, but I realized that the only physical attack I was using Victini to sponge was Scizor's Bullet Punch, which Victini tanks comfortably due to its Steel resistance anyway. The 4 speed Evs were just to allow it to outspeed other uninvested Base 100s. Victini performed its role as an offensive/defensive pivot well in this regard, able to threaten most of what it was able to come in on with this set. One particularly annoying foe was Salamence, as this Victini is unable to prevent setup from DD variants, can't hurt defensive ones, and still takes a decent chunk from the rarer special variants despite Victini's special bulk. Gyarados was also a threat due to the lower speed on this bulky Victini preventing it from revenge killing Gyarados. Keldeo was a threat in a similar way, although this Victini can come in very comfortably on a predicted Secret Sword or Icy Wind to threaten with Bolt Strike or Zen Headbutt. Mamoswine is another foe that Victini would normally not fear that this set must be careful of due to its lower speed. Finally, Victini hates Knock Off, and this set more than most, so I had to be careful about switching it into Zeraora.

The Team: https://pokepast.es/3e5940fc2e19beec

:ss/Victini: :ss/Azumarill: :ss/Mamoswine: :ss/Tapu Bulu: :ss/Latias: :ss/Roserade:

This team went through many revisions. Victini, Mamoswine, and Tapu Bulu stayed constant, but I experimented with Belly Drum Azumarill, Nasty Plot and Knock Off Alakazam (NP Alakazam performed far better) before switching to Latias, and Tentacruel in Roserade's slot. Multiple forms of speed control (Azumarill's and Mamoswine's priority, Scarf Bulu, Sash Roserade and Alakazam previously) were necessary to support Victini, especially once I decided to experiment with the bulkier variants. I don't think this team was particularly amazing considering how much I moved up and down on ladder while using it, but I was impressed with how much use I got out of Scarf Bulu, and very happy to see Roserade still perform well as an offensive hazard setter and lead despite its now PU placement :blobpensive: .

Replays: The replays are not the best for this week as they show a lot of experimentation on my part as I tried to figure out the best Victini variant and how to make the team work. As mentioned before laddering went poorly this time around as well. Nonetheless, here are a few replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1254714146-u5mm3b8d179bzfpl7kn4hp6row1799dpw
I believe this one was using physically bulky Victini. Victini was able to repeatedly come in on and pressure the Steels and Grasses in the tier, holding the team together against Scizor.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1255199912-lwil7z48tq29daj8g4i68vvj7atcbcjpw
Just showing off this team's ability to beat a Trick Room team, a style I've found that can mess a lot of teams up if they are not kept in mind. This one was using a special attacker Victini.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1256671474-61cechxid8wz7zwvh4adgkh06v0yyj9pw
Again this team showed versatility in being able to beat a Hail team, a rare style in the current meta. Not much Victini action here but it was able to clean up at the end to win.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1256678991-2b1guk4uumad777dkzigjtai924ufk2pw
Physically bulky Victini tanks a +1 Zeraora's Knock Off and damages it heavily in return with V-Create.

Conclusion: I think the bulky Victini set was just okay. I had a lot of trouble fitting it onto the correct team, and while I think Heavy-Duty Boots are a solid choice for Victini, I think I still would have preferred the immediate power and higher speed of the Choice Band set on it in the end. Overall, I think Heavy-Duty Boots Victini is a decent choice - it won't be a metagame superstar or anything, but it's usable. I am going to give Heavy-Duty Boots Victini an overall rating of B and the bulky variants of Heavy-Duty Boots Victini a B-.

INTRO: Ugh. Much like the first week of January this year, this testing was miserable. Ironically I think that I'm being too stubborn when it comes to not changing up teams significantly given what I see in other people's reports, especially since I'm not going to pretend the team I just used the past two days was stellar. It's just a) ladder is extremely miserable to points that I actually miss the "all screens, all the time" meta from December & if I have to fight another Victini and/or double Regenerator team any time soon, I'm going to scream into a pillow, and b) the weakest link on the team I was using was the non-Victini mon being tested. Hell, I think I fought against enough Boots Victini to technically test that by proxy. That thing really needs to go.

I don't think I need more than 27 mostly miserable games to clarify that, though it's my own fault for intentionally picking a set I figured would probably be bad (read: even worse) this gen. I really don't need this additional stress with the country imploding even more than I thought it would.

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

SUMMARY: Gaze upon the rare Defiant, physical Thundurus set that I tested for this gen like a masochist and embrace your natural disgust and despair! I certainly was embraced by both emotions I tried to utilize this set on the obvious Spikes team that you need to bring out the best in Defiant!

Weep as you are subjected to abject humiliation and nigh uselessness since almost every team has at least one Boots user, one mon off the ground, and one Regenerator that your mixed coverage doesn't hit hard enough to actually threaten! Who knew that Regenerator was overpowering?! Who?!

...Jest and melodramatics aside, I figured that this set would be "meh" at best, which is why I chose to test it since, as with Regieleki in Rain, I figured no one else (wisely) would be doing this particular set. Lucky them, given this set is horrible in the current meta where even with all of the Defog being run, there's almost no opportunity to make use of Defiant given all of relevant Defog mons actually threaten Thundurus-I due it to lacking Volt Absorb like its Therian form and due to "needing" to be Naive to take less damage from the abundant physical priority. Looking at you, Rotom forms.

I literally don't think there are any good match-ups for this set except maybe against Stall since Spikes are so devalued right now with like half of every team being effectively immune to them through a combination of either Boots, being off the ground, or having Regenerator. The Regenerator mons are arguably the most obnoxious since Boots can at least be dealt with by the degeneracy of Knock Off (if you don't die to V-Create when it comes to Victini), but you obviously don't need Thundurus-I for Knock Off & giving out such free invitations to Spore/Sleep Powder is "not great". It's telling that Slowking is somehow the least evil Regenerator option to face right now, at least for any team masochistic enough to use physical Thundurus-Incarnate in the first place.

I might as well finally get to the team that Thundurus-Incarnate dragged to the grave in this quest for knowledge:

https://pokepast.es/6e6577963a5158a0
(Huh. Only now realized I never changed Mew from Timid to Jolly. Whoops.)

I would say you'll notice how not useful Thundurus is to this team, but given how little it actually comes out, much less makes any sort of difference, you'd be noticing that more indirectly than anything else.

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
01. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258300254 = Whimsicott begins/continues its role as the most valuable member of any team I put it on while Mew begins/continues its long tradition of missing Wisp for me. Mew still had Psychic here.

02. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258303206 = The beginning of the true laddering misery already as I run into one of those people who are addicted to Voltturn (and get away with it because of Victini, Jirachi and other strong mons having it) who still manages to throw the game at the end by getting U-Turnini killed while I lament both pivot moves' and my own existences. Defiant finally becomes useful here via Krookodile's Intimidate, but Thundurus-I itself is only useful because Stone Edge misses. I can't say I have any sympathy for my opponent in this case though. This was also the match that made me decide to change Psychic to Knock Off on Mew.

03. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258316009 = Not all that notable since it's another instance of "Thundurus 'wins' by doing absolutely nothing", but it is a prime example of how (Stallbreaker) Mew can just singlehandedly man-handle teams even if they aren't Stall (which, of course, I basically never ran into despite having an actual Stallbreaker mon for once).

04. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258318386 = Had the misfortune of running into The U-Turner a mere two matches later on Friday, which is when I decided to call it an early quits that day. Won again, but Thundurus overall didn't do much here besides show that it can apparently live Scarf Krookodile's Stone Edge barely without any defensive investment, which is surprising. Yay? Stone Edge definitely killed it if I had gone with Hasty, but I'm sure it was a roll anyway.
252 Atk Krookodile Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 272-320 (90.9 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

05. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258887713 = Trick Room team battle where Thundurus again gets to do absolutely nothing except coast by on Mew's laurels. I didn't know it was so wealthy.

06. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258892798 = Thundurus finally makes a difference, even if it's just by standing...er floating in the way of Togekiss. Still could have probably would have lost if my opponent started doubling at the end correctly, especially since despite realizing Prankster wouldn't affect the apparently Curse Payback Umbreon, which is a blast to the past I honestly wish we could return to at this point, I stupidly clicked Leech Seed instead of Moonblast anyway. Ugh. More proof my mind is going. Whee....

07. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258895749-7jo1fwbqxu4aoeo1durf5i1o9pxo3s8pw = Arguably the most important replay despite only winning it due my opponent giving up when they likely could won, especially after such a bad start on my part, since it shows how useless Spikes can easily be in this current meta. Literally every mon on the opposing team outside of Scarf Krookodile is immune to them here due to either Boots, being off the ground, or Regenerator. Yay. What fun....

08. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258899730-8kpfdqegivqhn3yystjoymt3vgwq3r4pw = Misplayed with Whimsicott and Mew saved my ass. Thundurus was, again, there I guess.

09. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258901469-6wil6x5yqownr0a1wxl20x4h0izlwrypw = Oh hey. Thundurus was actually useful for once. Shocker. I still nearly get cleaned up by what ends up being AV Conkledurr at the end of all things. Whimsicott to the rescue! (Again)

10. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258907812-wvpjdpfweyjyrj9nmc20g4adw1bvjk7pw = Gods I love Whimsicott, Thundurus once again plays the role of "Sir Not Appearing in This Match".

11. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258909948 = Figured I might as well post a match where I lost for once, especially since it shows how useless mixed Thundurus is when it can't even do half damage to the premier wall of the tier that is super effectively weak to its STAB. My disappointment was immeasurable, and my day was ruined.

12. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258920466-i8iu0ca87s1kzljzwashcicwrzwlxz3pw = Thundurus again ends up being not that helpful since for all its Speed, on top of not being faster than the scourge upon that land that is (Boots) Zeraora, it's also slower than Alakazam. Alakazam is a mon that, for all of its issues, I still think is a better mon than the majority of people seem to think (like Whimsicott apparently).

13. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258926744-34rte076ne7vvtmhcsuljxrdz0crhmdpw = Posting another loss in part to show how useless mixed, physical Thundurus is against a team with two Grounds. At least all Special Thundurus has the options of Grass Knot and Psychic.

14. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258930261 = Posting my third and final loss that made me decide to stop testing in part because I ran into yet another team where Spikes basically didn't matter and in part because I was already so tired of fighting Boots Victini with Regenerator back-up. Ugh. I should have tested Victini so I could make clear arguments for why I still think it should be banned.

CONCLUSION: I can say without a doubt that literally every other mon on this team did more work than Thundurus-I in my relatively short testing time that felt like I fell for hours over the past two days. I feel like I should test more, but at the same time, I don't see what much would change besides added misery given it's pretty clear that the mostly physical Thundurus-I set currently sucks more than a Hoover vacuum. I wasn't expecting it to be good, like I said, just like with Regieleki in Rain, but I actually felt like I was essentially just using five mons here more than I did with Regieleki, which is bonkers, especially given Regieleki in Rain turned out to be at least decent.

There are very few positive things I can say about the set and even the mon. The mixed set can surprise people, but it usually isn't enough to matter, especially since without Life Orb, Superpower misses an OHKO on Terrakion and doesn't come to OHKO any of the other "musketeers". It easily beats the infamous Skarmbliss core that's still somewhat of a problem for a lot of teams and mons, but other, better mons can do that even if they tend to be slower than Thundurus-I (or are actually faster in the case of Zeraora) and you don't beat Celesteela, which is terrible.

Speaking of terrible, it somehow manages to be that even though Boots exist now and prevent it from killing itself by a quarter each time it comes while in theory allowing it pivot freely with U-Turn. In practice, however, it's still difficult to switch in, especially when its Flying type immunity to Ground doesn't mean much when it's one of the few Flying types that doesn't get to take advantage of Flying STAB--seriously, it's still stuck with only Fly--to get rid of certain problematic mons, particularly the two Regenerator Grass mons. Not that mixed, physical Thundurus-I is good against any of the Regenerator mons, even Slowking, which is another issue. It's just that Slowking kicks its ass the least of the five viable Regenerators, Scald burns aside, and it is actually at least somewhat threatened by it. Finally, for all its Speed, Thundurus-I doesn't actually threaten any of the mons it supposedly should threaten due to going mixed, doesn't fare better against Latias despite having two moves that hit her super-effectively, and is a Defiant mon in a meta where Incineroar just decreased enough in usage to drop to RU this mon and all of the common Defog mons kind of beat it, especially when you go Naive.

If anything, then this weird little team ended up being far more of a showcase of how decent-to-good Golisopod and especially Whimsicott are in the current meta. Whimsicott somewhat how managed to crush it (even if I normally wouldn't use Sub Leech Seed) despite the various curses of Scizor, Amoonguss, Victini, and Jirachi floating around in the meta. I am actually surprised how well it did despite my soft spot towards it, especially given I never even ran into any screen teams like I was expecting. I guess the fact that I named it "Validation" in German ended up being appropriate.

OVERALL RATING: A solid D--please cease snickering. I normally scratch my head over the lettering scale in general that makes me avoid the VR, especially D rank, but honestly mixed Thundurus-I is nigh worthless in the current meta w252 Atk Krookodile Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 272-320 (90.9 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKOhere the only thing that tends to set off Defiant is Intimidate rather than Defog, especially when Intimidate is either comes from a bulky mon that it can't really touch with its physical attacks aside from Knock Off (a.k.a. Salamence) or a mon that may well be faster than it anyway due to Scarf (a.k.a. Krookodile). It might have been able to get into like C or C- rank if it actually had a good (physical) Flying STAB to use, even Acrobatics given all of the Knock Off spam this gen, but it doesn't, so avoid it the like the current coronavirus plague.

P.S. I meant to post this like...eight hours ago, but I fell asleep mid-way through typing it up due to exhaustion. Apologies. I'll be more useful next time I participate in Research Week, but I may well take a break from laddering until February. It was that miserable for me, and physical Thundurus-Incarnate being so bad had very little to do with that. Regardless, stay safe everyone.

I came into this week as a Victini skeptic, while also recognizing the might of Thundurus-I. I finished the week being a Victini lover, and also thinking that Thundurus-I is, unfortunately, rather subpar in any way you use it.

TEAM HISTORY: I ended up using four different teams. You'll notice that on the last team I finally dropped Thundurus for Azelf, which, imo, actually outclassed it somehow, but kept Victini.

TEAM #1: :Thundurus: :Victini: :Mamoswine: :Tentacruel: :Chansey: :Salamence:
TEAM #2: :Thundurus: :Victini: :Mamoswine: :Tentacruel: :Latias: :Amoonguss:
TEAM #3: :Azelf: :Victini: :Mamoswine: :Tentacruel: :Latias: :Amoonguss:

Victini

:ss/Victini:

SETS USED:

Timid Nature
- Glaciate
- Blue Flare
- Thunder
- Psychic

-

Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Toxic

-

SUMMARY: Victini with Boots is amazing. I tried the Special set first with full Special coverage and no pivot. It handled so many things in the tier quite well. Psychic + Blue Flare hits more than 50% of the tier for neutral or SE damage, and Victini is fast enough to threaten nearly all of those things. Thunder has 77% accuracy with Victini, and hits bulky waters hard like Suicune or Primarina, so that you can KO once they are chipped. Glaciate was so much better than I anticipated - it's not just there to mess with Salamence. It has so much utility because it slows down foes faster than Victini, so that you can get a second attack in quicker. I had plenty of games where I used Glaciate on something faster, like Latias, a scarf user, or even another Victini, and then finished it off the next turn because I was now faster. There are drawbacks obviously. With boots, Psychic does not do that much damage. Cannot KO things like Nidoqueen unless they are significantly chipped. But Blue Flare still does enough to get the job done usually, and the rest are just extras.

I tried the Physical pivot version w/ Toxic after I replaced Thundurus with Azelf, and it may have worked even better than the Special version. V-Create still hits like a truck without band, Bolt Strike hits most things V-Create doesn't, and Toxic takes care of the rest. It's very easy to anticipate a switch to Rhyperior, for example, toxic it on the switch, and then just pivot out and now that Rhyperior is crippled with Toxic.

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1256852300 - Special Victini KO's all 6 enemies while using Glaciate to support itself.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1257421854 - Victini is part of the Support Crew that brings down a problematic Cresselia
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258165196 - Special Victini almost cleans up at the end, but Skarmory was too Sturdy
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1256877864-n030b0fdcswv0x71sfexlou3s4lj2yepw - Special Victini does not quite have enough firepower to KO Nidoqueen with Psychic.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1257506342-lmlg4vynfms26qxxd4qgby4osb7hatmpw - Likewisee, Victini cannot OHKO Kommo-o with Psychic
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1258814148-4y0eyklcvnkjmk4vdexds4s9txekcampw - Lost here, but Physical Victini almost pulled it out, and Toxic came in handy against Rotom-W.

CONCLUSION: Boots Victini may be better than Band Victini, although if you are super duper good about removing hazards then Band still may be better. I definitely think Victini has more utility with the Boots, and it allows you to use different sets instead of just spamming V-Create.

OVERALL RATING: A+

-
-
-

Thundurus

:ss/Thundurus:

SETS USED:

Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

-

Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

-

SUMMARY: I tried really hard to get Thundurus going. At first, it was miserable. I could not believe this thing was supposed to be good based on how bad it was doing on my team. BUT, I thought maybe it was just my bad team, so I followed guidance in making a team more appropriate for Thundurus, gave him Latias as a teammate, and saw it take off from there. It is definitely better served on an offensive based balance team.

The Nasty Plot set was not good at all - Thundurus already has serious issues trying to fit 4 moves in one set, nevermind 3 plus Nasty Plot. Additionally, the only time you can really set up Nasty Plot is against something you are forcing out. And even at +2, you don't KO neutral things with HDB. Maybe if I used Life Orb it would have been better, but then the Stealth Rock weakness would wear me down, and Thundurus is already frail. At +2, I did 83% damage to a Lead Mew with TBolt, which was disappointing. Couldn't quite clean anything efficiently the few times I was able to get a NP safely up. Also get stalled out by Chansey unless you run Focus Miss - TBolt does 28% to Chansey at +2, and with no recovery you die to Toxic + S Toss before you can do anything of note.

The Pivot set was admittedly better, and did have some use. But out of all the fights I did, there was really only one fight where I thought it was spectacularly helpful. Most of the time, Thundurus was just an afterthought, and didn't even see much action. It seemed like Thundurus was just sort of there to Knock and Pivot, and if you're lucky someone will leave in a pokemon that is weak to the coverage move you decided to run (Sludge or Psychic). Even still, the damage output is average. A Slurpuff, for example (not the sturdiest thing in the world), still takes only 70% from Sludge Wave, while a Ninetales-A takes 67%. Knock Off on Victini did 48%. And Defiant did not help that much - a U-Turn on Krookodile at +1 from Defiant still only did 33%. And on a Krookodile without Defiant, I simply got OHKO'd by Scarf Stone Edge before I could U-Turn. You also have Zeraora on a lot of teams, and you can't do anything against it.

I'm sure there are situations where the Pivot set works better, but it just did not work for me at all. Overall though, I think Zeraora does the pivot set much better, and I don't see much reason to use Thundurus over it.

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1254447291 - Thundurus does 83% at +2 to lead Mew, doesn't quite break through much of the team.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1254462076 - Thundurus can't break through Chansey with Nasty Plot
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1257421854 - Thundurus gets OHKO'd by lead Krook
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1257492114 - Learned from my mistakes and didn't keep Thundurus in on lead Krook, but it doesn't do much at all this game other than pivot pivot.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1257301258-pfwii3e8xh002klm583zkx7zhtabextpw - One of the few games Thundurus had some utility, knockng off Scarf from Rotom, Sludging Ninetales-A for 67%, but eventually succumbing to the notorious Scarf Krook.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1257449657-ammfga7sldbbbg39hf4jsm9vhxz16kzpw - Knock Off + Thunderbolt, combined, still could not KO Victini.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1257488466-fqgqzvnkkaz1i4l4a020n857y4lqg7upw - Again, Knock Off + Thunderbolt combined does not KO a Jirachi.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1257506342-lmlg4vynfms26qxxd4qgby4osb7hatmpw - Notice at the end of this game, I am left with Tentacruel (Defensive) and Thundurus, and have to choose one to clean with. It turns out both would do the job just as well as the other, so I go with Tentacruel.

CONCLUSION: Thundurus-I is just not great. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't use it in UU over other things. I mean, I replaced with Azelf at the end, and Azelf proved to be a much better breaker and that's not even its main set. And Azelf is supposed to be bad (I only used it to try to stack my UU Project Analyses together with Bandkrook's project). There is also little reason to ever use Thundurus-I over Zeraora, as Zeraora does the Knock Pivot job better.

OVERALL RATING: B-

-
-
-

This was the final team I used with both Thundurus and Victini: https://pokepast.es/f3131df6c7c3ee9f

Week 27 ! But first of all, congratulations again to Amane Misa for winning the week26 !

As always, don't forget to look at the date for the SSRW27 tournament at the end of this post ! Now, the summary of the pokemons tested this week :

Thundurus was a big disappointment for all the participants of this week, this pokemon suffers from too much competition with zeraora and its np set doesn't allow enough break. Other sets have been tested, like the physical set to be able to use his Defiant talent, without convincing results.

Boots Victini, on the other hand, was greatly appreciated by its users. His double type with the boots allows him not to fear the rocks and allows him to come for free on many pokemon without having to lose 25% each time. His access to U-turn and V-Create is a deadly combo for many balanced teams. Finally, Boots Victini can be played Special too to be able to lurepokemons like Salamence or other pokemon that think they can wall Victini. Toxic was also a move used on Physical Victini, in order to weaken pokemons like Salamence, Kommo-o, Latias, Quagsire, Rotom-Heat and Wash ...

Next Week, New pokemons !

Diggersby
Ability: Huge Power
- Mega Kick
-
-
-

Scizor
Ability: Technician
- Swords Dance
-
-
-

Our first choice was Diggersby, its double normal + ground stab coupled with its Huge Power talent makes it very difficult to counter, due to the lack of normal resistance in UU other than steel pokemons, which can fear a powerful earthquake. His access to Sd + Quick Attack also makes him very dangerous in late game. It will be reproached a little slow speed and a bulk not very good, but enough to set up. Life Orb, Choice Scarf or Choice Band, what is the most powerful and useful set for our angry rabbit in UU ?

Scizor was our 2nd choice, Scizor has always been a top tier UU. His Choice Band set is monstrous, but we will focus on his Sword Dance set. Scizor takes advantage of his bulk formibable and his double type to set up and break a team or sweep. Bulky SD, Offensive SD, with roost or quick attack?

New :

We've made Research Week easier than ever to participate now! All you need to do is copy the optional template below when you make your research findings post. Just copy, plug in your findings, and you're done! WOW so easy! (You are not obligated to use this template, you can still post in your own way however you feel).

INTRO: (write a little blurb here, w/e you want)

ZAPDOS-GALAR

:Zapdos-Galar:

SETS USED:

Zapdos-Galar @ z
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Zapdos shows it is the bravest bird")
(link) - (add commentary, e.g. "Here Zapdos fails to be anything more than fried chicken")

-
:ss/Nidoqueen:

SETS USED:

Nidoqueen @ z
Ability: x
x Nature
-
-
-
-

NOTABLE REPLAYS:
(link) - (add commentary, such as: "See here how Nidoqueen ascends to the throne")
(link) - (add commentary, e.g. "Here Nidoqueen has truly abdicated the crown")

In order to participate you must do the following:

Post here with a fresh RW alt (such as SSRW27 Draconic or SSRW27 Cake) and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder with their RW alt at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in this thread's Hall of Fame.
This week will end on January 17 at 11:59 PM GMT+0. Have fun everyone!!

-

RESEARCH WEEK 27 TOURNAMENT!

Time:
Tuesday 12 at 3:30 PM GMT-5
Topic: Underused items
Rules: All "Popular" items are ban ! (Aguav Berry, Assault Vest, Choice Band, ...., Wiki Berry)

There is NO SIGN UP required to participate in the tournament! It is a roomtour in the UU PS Room, so just show up at the designated time, with a team ready to go, and you are in! The winner will receive a very super special MENTION and TAG in a post here! How amazing! (And the winner each week may be memorialized later somewhere). Good luck everyone! And have fun!

Last edited:
RESEARCH WEEK 27 TOURNAMENT - NO COMMON ITEMS

We banned the following items for this tournament: Leftovers, Black Sludge, Life Orb, Light Clay, Focus Sash, Lum Berry, Choice Band, Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, Flame Orb, Heavy Duty Boots, Aguav Berry, Assault Vest, Wiki Berry, Power Herb, Sitrus Berry, Rocky Helmet, Iapapa Berry, Figy Berry, Eviolite

Congratulations to Yves Stone on winning the Week 27 Research Tournament! Special shout out to Emolga's World (whosever alt that is) on placing second!

Here is the finals replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1260975771

So how was life without your most trusted common items?

To many, it was very offensive. As in, the teams were offense-oriented. I did not see defensive teams or even defense oriented balance teams, most likely because recovery options are limited. Old favorites like Quick Claw Quick Draw Glowbro made appearances, as did the trusty Blackglasses Bisharp and Damp Rock Politoed. Some creative options like Custap Azelf were also seen. The fights were fast, and entertaining, so maybe we can make this a new meta and submit it to ESports 2022. We'll see!

Thank you to everyone who participated!

And be sure to sign up for Research Week 27 below! We are looking at Swords Dance Scizor and the infamous **Mega Kick** Diggersby this week! Don't be left behind and sign up today!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)