Other Metagames STABmons Shell Shocked

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SHELL SHOCKED
An ORAS STABmons team built around Mega Blastoise and Para spam!

(ps this is my first RMT go easy on me)

The Team

INTRODUCTION
I've been on a bulky offense kick recently, so here goes a STABmons bulky offense team. The team is built around Rotom-H and Tyranitar spreading paralysis with Nuzzle and Thunder Wave respectively. I went with a FWG core to help support Blastoise, and take out its weaknesses. Tornadus and Rotom-H also work well together to help keep up momentum with a slow Volt Switch or U-Turn respectively. Ferrothorn and Tyranitar serve to stop the Fake Out + Extreme Speed spam that is so good and common and STABmons. Mega Blastoise (an absolute monster when paired with Para support), and Scizor clean up late game once their checks and counters have been weakened or removed by other team members.

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse / Aura Sphere

I wanted to use Mega Blastoise because the thing is just power. Mega Launcher Origin Pulse lets it hit like a truck. It serves as the wallbreaker, and hazard remover of the team. Origin Pulse used to nuke foes, even things that resist it don't enjoy switching into it much. Ice Beam is used to hit Dragon- and Grass-types hard to avoid being otherwise walled by them. Rapid Spin serves to allow you to keep your field hazard free. Dark Pulse hits things like Slowbro, Slowking, and the Lati Twins hard, while Aura Sphere allows you to hit foes such as Ferrothorn, Kyurem-B, Tyranitar and others for a decent chunk.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def

IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- King's Shield
- Gyro Ball / Horn Leech

I wanted Ferrothorn on the team to cover the weaknesses that Mega Blastoise has to Electric- and Grass-types. Ferrothorn serves as an amazing wall in STABmons. It is a great check to all of the Fake Out + Extreme Speed spam in the meta as well as just having excellent typing. Spore is a move to cripple the foe when they try to switch something in to hit you hard, or it helps to just buy turns for Leech Seed. Leech Seed helps to wear down the foe. King's Shield is a very fun addition to Ferrothorn in STABmons as it allows it to play mindgames with Physical Attackers, and drop their attack if they touch it. The last slot goes to an attacking move. Gyro Ball is a Ferrothorn staple that hits foes such as Kyurem-B hard.Horn Leech is something that not too many people run in STABmons, but I like it because it has more PP than Gyro Ball, and allows you to regain health. Since this team also struggles with Sub Kyurem B, Gear Grind is a surprise option to really hit it hard.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Nuzzle
- Lava Plume
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Rotom-H is amazing in STABmons. I included it to finish the FWG core and also because it is quickly becoming one of my favorite things to use in STABmons. It serves a defensive utility role for the team. It can spread two statuses which are both extremely useful, para for Speed control, and Burn to check physical attackers. It is able to check many threats in STABmons such as Lando-T that don't carry Stone Edge, Thundurus, Tornadus, Kyurem-B that lack Earth Power, Mega Scizor, and a ton more. Nuzzle is on the team to spread Paralysis, as well as just possibly render an opposing mon useless. Lava Plume is my Fire-type STAB of choice, which also comes with a 30% Burn chance. You could also run Searing Shot here to hit harder, but it only has 8PP. Volt Switch helps to keep momentum going. Pain Split works great with Nuzzle, as once the foe is Paralyzed, you out speed it and can easily use this to hurt them and heal yourself due to your low base HP stat.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Superpower
- Heat Wave / Focus Blast
- Oblivion Wing

This is another mon that I am falling in love with in STABmons. I included this to help keep up momentum with Rotom, as well as help check some of the strong Special Attackers in STABmons. U-Turn is obviously to let Tornadus-T switch out and keep up momentum. Knock Off is used to hurt foes and rid them of their item. Heatwave is extremely useful to bop Scizor and Ferrothorn. Oblivion wing is a strong STAB move that is great to let you regain health. I run slow bulky Tornadus-T because of the speed control that this team has, as well as for the benefit of a slow U-turn. Assault Vest makes this thing surprisingly bulky letting it take a good amount of hits. Fighting coverage in the form of Superpower or Focus Blast can also be useful to help deal with the Terrakion weakness, as well as letting you hit Tyranitar hard.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gear Grind
- Pin Missile / Roost
- Superpower

I included this thing because its broken AF and extremely fun and easy to use, and I wanted to add a set up sweeper. Scizor is extremely powerful with Technician boosted moves in addition to good set up move in Srowds Dance (rip Shift Gear). Swords Dance allows Scizor to boost its attack to incredible levels. Gear Grind paired with Technician hits extremely hard and bops things behind a Substitute as well. I like Pin Missile as it lets you hit things like Ferrothorn hard and not have to play King's Shield mind games with it. Superpower lets you bop Steel-types such as Heatran that would otherwise wall you. Roost is something that could work really well to allow Scizor to recover and shrug off damage and stay around to sweep longer.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Diamond Storm / Power Gem
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Knock Off / Ice Beam

Tyranitar is another thing that I love abusing in STABmons. I definitely need Fire checks on this team, and Tyranitar is one of the best. It plays a support role on the team, using Thunder Wave for speed control, and Stealth Rock to hurt foes on switch in. Spikes is also an option however I find Rocks more useful. I have been experimenting with a ton of sets and I like the set with Diamond Storm and Knock Off best. Knock Off can cripple foes by ridding them of their item, and Diamond Storm is a strong move that can also boost your Defense. However, since Lando-T is such a common switch in to this, running Ice Beam is really helpful to bop it, and then Power Gem is strong Special STAB.

Threats
I've struggled with Fighting-types a bit, especially Terrakion. A way to help counter this would be to run full speed on Tornadus, as well as a Fighting-type move for coverage. This team would also struggle a lot against foes with Substitute and set up such as Keldeo, Double Dance Lando-T, and others. It also can struggle a bit with set up in general if Rotom has been weakened and can no longer status the foe. Foes such as Thundurus, Mega Scizor, Keldeo, and Azumarill need to be watched out for. I've also had problems dealing with tank Gyarados, which is something that is rapidly rising in popularity. Its hard to take out if Rotom is gone.

Does anyone even watch these?
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-333807236 vs BaconBagonz, a battle where I actually didn't lose to Terrakion
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-332438934 this replay showcases Ferrothorn
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-332433521 this replay shows off how amazing Rotom-H is.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-332431511 here Scizor cleans up a weakened team.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-332429326 Blastoise cleans up late game.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-332007535 The team in a battle against a rare, but well built stall team.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-331137606 Here Blastoise tanks some hits late game and cleans up.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-331131929 Another replay
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/stabmons-331128198 Blastoise again destroys an opposing team.

So to make a really long story really short, irl I struggle with depression, and it gets pretty bad at times. One day when I was struggling, I found PS when I was googling something about pokemon. I joined the next day, and I'm so glad that I did. I spend an incredible amount of time on PS because it lets me escape from things haunting me. I love it here because I feel safe, productive, and I can keep myself busy. But its also nice that I've run into so many amazing people (many of whom are mentioned below). So many users here are just amazing people with amazing stories, and interacting with you all is something that really brings me joy.

Sorry I know i'm gonna forget people, just tell me and I'll add you in.

Tours People
Mars Lowell Mars n_n is friend Awu is a bully but an amazing artist Blitzamirin really cool dude fun to talk with HiMyNamesL Luke (Sun) sirDonovan One of the hardest workers I've ever seen Feliburn Scyther > Infernape tbh Vapo Pottie Scippen. Milak cute user. manu 11 are you Indian? imas234 Eyan Miss you already Jack Dalton Can't wait until our team sweeps BLT Jetpack Snowy GreasyXSpoon Shiba free Celepass Happen one of my first friends on here. Come back pls Sigilyph Randbats God Silverwhiteblue o/ bluewhitesilver miltankmilk BreloomMyHomie I miss your bad puns :( Jarii anto petyer

Lobby People
GeoffBruedly Glad you finally got RO grimAuxiliatrix Cool person Trickster AuzBat Phable Hawkie Omega-Xis14 Ace The Pokemon Engineer Sparkychild shaymin Flying Kebab Giagantic e.e nizzyd18 Go Cavs!!! LifeisDANK Angeela

OM People
This was actually the room where I first started on PS!
Eevee General has good Smogon avis, unfixable baconbagon STABmons God Zangooser AG God E4 Flint jeran OM God

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Aura Sphere

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- King's Shield
- Gyro Ball

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Nuzzle
- Lava Plume
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Heat Wave
- Oblivion Wing

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gear Grind
- Pin Missile
- Superpower

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Diamond Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Thanks for reading!!! All suggestions welcome!!!

Last edited:

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Sup SNS, no shoutout :(
  • So first off, I see that Ferrothorn doesn't have 0 Speed IVs. It definitely needs the extra damage for things like Clefable and other walls in general. You aren't outspeeding anything anyways (unless Shuckle is a thing). These IVs are actually super important.
  • With IVs --> 0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (57 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 122-146 (30.9 - 37%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • Without IVs --> 0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (97 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 210-248 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • So the problem with Terrakion: 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 764-904 (236.5 - 279.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO ??????????? What's the problem, just keep Scizor around
  • Spikes is a Ground Move, idk if that's a mistake, but T-Tar doesn't get it.
  • If you want speed creep>bulk on Blastoise, but 184 HP/252 Sp Atk/72 Speed creeps base 85 Pokemon and 244 HP/252 Sp Atk/12 Speed creeps base 80 Pokemon.
Some really minor changes up there, and I'm sure it looks ugly, but I hope that I helped. The reason why there aren't any major changes is because the team synergizes super well. Team looks really good :)​

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sup SNS, no shoutout :(
  • So first off, I see that Ferrothorn doesn't have 0 Speed IVs. It definitely needs the extra damage for things like Clefable and other walls in general. You aren't outspeeding anything anyways (unless Shuckle is a thing). These IVs are actually super important.
  • With IVs --> 0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (57 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 122-146 (30.9 - 37%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • Without IVs --> 0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (97 BP) vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 210-248 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • So the problem with Terrakion: 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 764-904 (236.5 - 279.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO ??????????? What's the problem, just keep Scizor around
  • Spikes is a Ground Move, idk if that's a mistake, but T-Tar doesn't get it.
  • If you want speed creep>bulk on Blastoise, but 184 HP/252 Sp Atk/72 Speed creeps base 85 Pokemon and 244 HP/252 Sp Atk/12 Speed creeps base 80 Pokemon.
Some really minor changes up there, and I'm sure it looks ugly, but I hope that I helped. The reason why there aren't any major changes is because the team synergizes super well. Team looks really good :)​
Thanks for the feedback, I forgot to change the speed iv's since i personally run Horn Leech instead of Gyro Ball, but that is a great point thanks!,
Tyranitar gets Spikes in STABmons because it has access to all Ground-type moves since its pre evos are Ground-type.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)