Stall Princess

Princess

Overview: My competitive philosophy is to win... but with my favorites, and I'm happy I was able to fit so many of them in an Overused environment: Milotic, Blissey, Roserade, Latias, and Starmie are my top 5... both competitively and aesthetically. I call this a stall team because I intend to win via Spikes, Toxic (Spikes), and Stealth Rock, but many of these "walls" are both swift and powerful in their own right. I hope you enjoy my team and that we can work together to make it better... So, enjoy!

Amarant

Roserade@ Focus Sash
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Leaf Storm
~ Hidden Power Fire
~ Sleep Powder
~ Toxic Spikes
This lead is what got Roserade into OU and its versatility made it the perfect lead for this team. The recipe is simple… I put their lead to sleep if it looks suspect or I kill if it can outspeed me. I have at least two turns with Focus Sash, so as long as I can either kill, incapacitate, or lay down Toxic Spikes, then Roserade's done his job just fine. Obviously faster Taunt leads present a little bit of a problem but Leaf Storm usually gets rid of them. When Roserade's gone, I almost always bring in Starmie to cleanup the entry mess that my opponent has left, as well as cover the obligatory Tentacruel that thinks he's a reliable counter.

Astraea

Starmie@ Life Orb
Evs: 136 HP/156 Def/216 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Recover
~ Rapid Spin

The standard rapid-spinning Starmie, she has boltbeam for coverage as Milotic has an equal special attack stat and surf. Simple enough, I kill anything that I can outspeed (and that's A LOT) and I rapid spin when the entry hazards are starting to get on my nerves (that's also A LOT). Starmie can take most hits and dish back even more damage with Life Orb—most opponents will be surprised when I OHKO their Gyrados with Thunderbolt or maim their Dragon. Like nearly every member of this team, Starmie can heal itself, making the extra punch from my Life Orb totally worth it in the long run.
*Does Starmie really need Surf over Ice Beam?

Galatea

Latias@ Leftovers
Evs: 4Def/252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Roar
Support-wise, Latias is almost a one-woman show! Wish and Protect allow Latias to revitalize her teammates while keeping herself afloat, and this strategy has incredible synergy after Milotic gets some "badly poisoned" status on the other team. With a respectable 256 Special Attack, Latias can still smack around most with little resistance. Best of all, she can simply phase anything that contests her walling ability out for awhile and rack up some entry hazard damage while she's at it. Heatran's Dragon Pulse and other offensive threats such as Ice Beam are simply absorbed by soul sister Milotic.

Juno

Blissey@ Leftovers
Evs: 152 HP / 252 Def / 104 SpA
Bold Nature
~ Stealth Rock
~ Seismic Toss
~ Flamethrower
~ Softboiled

Of course, Blissey makes the cut for my stall team, but as I already have a wish-passer, she serves my team by walling, stalling, and denting with the potent combination of Flamethrower and Seismic Toss. She is a decent Stealth Rocker, and can simply re-lay them if they are spun, and even take out some of the spinners, herself. She, along with Milotic, are my status-absorbing pros but like the rest of my team, she is fully capable of healing herself and doing hefty amounts of damage.

*Would Blissey be better off with Aromatherapy over Stealth Rock?

Chastity

Forretress @ Shed Shell
Evs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 Def
Relaxed Nature
~ Spikes
~ Explosion
~ Gyro Ball
~ Reflect

Since I have the other entry hazards and rapid-spinning covered, Forretress does what she does best in spiking. She is my physical wall—my rock in this field of flowers and fairies. Given that the rest of my team is so specially defensive, Reflect is a great choice for the whole team. There's Gyro Ball to slaughter Ghosts and Explosion to get rid of somebody else. Shed Shell is necessary because I don't want to explode into a Magnezone.

Sirena

Milotic@ Leftovers
Evs: 56 SpDef/ 252 HP / 200 Def
Calm Nature
~ Surf
~ Toxic
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

This functions very well as a wall because of its massive defenses--Calm nature is preferred here because it gives her a hearty special defensive boost on top of the defense marvel scale generously provides. Such impenetrable defense comes at the cost of Milotic's attacking potential, but I've found that Toxic is a very cruel way to maim fellow bulky waters and the occasionally cocky Gyrados. Many steel types (Especially Heatran) will fall to her 236 Special Attack Surf—Empoleon and Milotic are never to meet. Sleep Talk has 2/3 chance of pulling out a non offensive move, but while sleeping, my beauty's defenses are just so ridiculously high (394 HP and 300+ in both Special Defense and Defense) that immobility is a small price to pay for the ridiculous amount of versatility I get out of her. Milotic is my favorite pokemon and I think Sleeptalking is truly her best niche as she's the only pokemon in the game that gets defensively rewarded for it. Should my opponent try to strong arm her with electric and grass attacks, I have Latias to nullify the impact with her resistances.
*Note: As I have already bred this particular pokemon ingame and it is at Level 100, I cannot afford to change anything on this moveset except the moves. Milotic is my signature pokemon and I refuse to change it for Vaporeon, Suicune, or Gyrados, etc.

You like this team, I like this team, now I'll just point out the most glaring problems first.
Number 1, you have no spin blocker, you simply can't rely on secondary damage when something like starmie can switch in on everything on this team pretty much and just rapid spin all your entry hazards away.

Secondly, I don't like how something like Tyranitar can decimate almost your entire team, especially with your Starmie lacking a STAB water move. Similarly something like Salamence,whatever version but especially Mixmence and DD Mence can put huge dents in this team. Scizor can also just spam u-turns on just about anything on this team.

Finally, you can't do much, like most stall teams to last game Suicune, Snorlax, other stat uppers of the like simply because this semi-stall team just doesn't have enough offense to deal with them.

Now I have some ideas, but unlike most team raters I don't like simply tearing apart a team if it's full of favorite pokemon or something like that. Five of your favorite pokemon are on here, but are you willing to swap a few of them out?

Your team looks pretty solid, but I see you having a ton of trouble with Spikes if Starmie gets Pursuited (Weavile and Scarf Tyranitar easily 2HKO it if it doesn't switch, and even Weavile can survive a Life Orb Surf after Stealth Rock damage). I suggest having Forretress use Rapid Spin, and Starmie use Reflect. Starmie's great Speed will let you get Reflect up before most physical attackers, or on the switch to a Pursuit user, giving Starmie better durability. Leftovers would probably be a better item than Life Orb, since Ice Beam and Thunderbolt will OHKO 4x weak targets after Stealth Rock either way. Surf is probably a good idea on Starmie so you can fend off Pursuit users, and hit Rotom-H on the switch. If you choose to use Surf, I suggest replacing Thunderbolt for it, as Milotic and Forretress can handle Gyarados to a degree, but Salamence can run through your whole team after Forretress is weakened.

*Would Blissey be better off with Aromatherapy over Stealth Rock?
Three of your team members have Natural Cure, and Milotic doesn't really care about status. Stealth Rock would be a better idea so Taunt Gyarados can't switch in and out freely.

One last thing- you're going to have trouble keeping your entry hazards on the field without a spin blocker. Rotom-H is the popular choice, and should probably replace Starmie if you decide to use it.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello. Your team has a glaring weakness to a number of OU threats including (Bulky) DD Gyarados, DDsalamence, DDtar, and SD luke, all of which should have no problem sweeping your whole team provided they get a chance to set up.

At current, Starmie is your main counter to DDgyarados. Starmie can be vulnerable to pursuit, and can be OHKOed after SR by some offensive versions. Milotic can become setup bait for any Gyarados carrying taunt. The best Forry can do is explode.

DDmence is capable of OHKOing every member of your team after a DD with the appropriate move. You best option at current is to lure it into outrage with Latias or Milotic and kill with Forretress. This will, however, not work against those packing dragon claw rather than outrage. Forretress lacks recovery and will consequently be unreliable anyway.

DD Tyranitar after a DD can OHKO every member of your team bar Blissey and Milotic. Blissey lacks an effective move against it and will consequently become setup bait. Milotic does pathetic damage with Surf (under 50%) and will face a similar fate. Starmie can outrun adamant TTar after a DD but currently has no effective more to hit it with.

Lucario can OHKO every member of your team after a swords dance (milotic has a small chance to survive after SR and leftovers without sandstorm, which is usually present on Lucario-based teams). Provided it has crunch, it can even OHKO your Latias, who can do little back.

I can only think of two pokemon that can even revenge-kill all four of those - scarf Jirachi and Scarf Gengar. It is generally sensible for a stall team to have one scarfer to absorb trick, so Scarf Jirachi might fit rather well, apart from its fire weakness. Another option is to use a Scarf Rotom to check Gyarados, Lucario and Suicune, which would also provide your team with a solid spin-blocker. Tyranitar could be better dealt with by using Skarm over Forry (this makes sense since you are using neither Toxic spikes nor rapid spin on him.)

It seems to me that the most useless member of your team is Milotic. I am not going to suggest Vaporeon on your team because Milotic is outclassed. I just think that you do not need anything to play the role that Milotic is currently playing. Milotic is in no way penetrative, nor particularly powerful, and does not provide much support for the team. Blissey could easily be used to spread toxic around. (actually Twave might be a good idea as it helps cripple sweepers such as Salamence trying to set up)

You could also try CM Latias as a lategame sweeper, and use WishBliss (or even, dare I say it, Vaporeon.) This would provide a way of dealing with the opponent's last pokemon, and allow you to sweep weakened teams.

Hope I helped and good luck.

*I totally neglected to mention that I intend to use this team on Wi-Fi...As such, the Rotom Formes and Wish-Bliss seem a little out of my range.

1. I'm willing to swap anything on this team except for the Milotic... In fact, I'd be open to swapping EVERYBODY in this team and remaking it if it means that it will accommodate my Milotic better... I do feel like my Latias set REALLY compliments it though.

2. I'll probably switch my Starmie's moveset to Surf, Reflect, Thunderbolt, Recover, and change its item to Leftovers... I just liked the idea of giving it more punch and coverage.

3. I think Choice-Scarf Jirachi could work nicely. Barring Milotic, what would I take out for it? In practice, Roserade has not been testing very well... Maybe I'm just not the best at predicting? If I use one of the attacking moves, they'll switch to a counter--and usually their lead will outright taunt me. My Milotic set is the bane of all bulky waters, except Tentacruel and Heal Bell Vaporeon. You don't realize how fun it is to badly poison their wish passer!

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll try to get to all your comments...

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- Trick
- Thunderpunch
This is to revenge kill dangerous threats such as Salamence, Gyarados, and Tyranitar while simultaneously dealing with last game Suicune, Snorlax etc through Trick
---
Forretress (M) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/44 Atk/212 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Payback
- Stealth Rock
Payback is for any ghost trying to block your spin Gengar, Dusknoir. Spiritomb can just be used as set up bait by this team. It's specially defensive because Skarmory is also on this team
---
Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Wish
- Roar
- Protect
Your latias, which is a great user of roar
---
Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/64 Atk/176 Def/16 Spd
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
Standard Spiker
---
Milotic (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Your Milotic :P
---
Dusknoir (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/28 Atk/228 Def
- Will-o-wisp
- Pain Split
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
This is the best spin blocker for Wi-FI I think so here it is. Shadow sneak is to deal with Starmie, Earthquake for Tentacruel, and W-o-W will mess up Forretress

Basically I just tried to build a stall team that could make use of Milotic and the benefits its Status Absorbing abilites as well as ability to 100% counter Heatran, which is why there's three steels on this team :P

Hmm, I feel like both Forretress and Skarmory are overkill... Also, isn't my only sweeper being my lead a bit risky? I really like the team... thanks! Also, I need help against Salamence, Gengar, and Hidden Power Grass Heatran. Suggestions?

Otherwise, I'm totally fine with using Jirachi, Milotic, Latias, and Dusknoir!

Sorry Jirachi wasn't meant to be the lead I shouldn't have put them in that order. I think Forretress or Skarmory should in the lead position, even Milotic wouldnt be too bad.

Well Forretress is specially defensive so it needs something to help it take physical hits which is why Skarmory is there.

Alright you say you don't want Skarmory and Forretress...Well offhand I can't think of anything that counters Salamence, Gengar, and Heatran.
Oh and about Gengar and Salamence, I believe they cause problems for pretty much every stall team, but I agree that you should be able to do more against it than this current team can.

Anyway I'll try working on it but the whole team will probably have to be changed at least a little, hopefully for the better :P

Bulky froslass can drop spikes and spin block, so you could change fortress to froslass and get both roles in one poke.

Funny thing actually, I just found my Milotic egg, so you can change the ev spread or moves on my Milotic but not the nature... I retrained her ingame with 252 HP/200 Defense/56 Special Defense!

I really like Froslass--that's another one of my favorites, but how could it possible fare as a lead in OU?

As for a rate:
my own team had a problem with Bug attacks, and especially had a serious problem with SD Lucario. With Ninetales's fire as my only defense to most Scizor variants I found him a problem, too. Since your team is more defensive you might not have the same problem, and RestTalk Milotic will wall most physical Bug attacks you might want to worry about. Do keep in mind that Latias and Starmie share a Bug weakness.

You could switch out Milotic for a standard Roar Vaporeon set. While you lose some physical power, Latias's duo screens protect you against that somewhat, and with Roar you can both wall and scare away some of the physical hitters that will set up on you. Plus, if you use a shiny pink Vaporeon, you could still keep the girly team theme. :3

I'm NOT switching Milotic out for Vaporeon... Marvel Scale makes Milotic the only Sleeptalker who gets rewarded for their job. I like Latias better as a wisher and phaser, and Flamethrower on Blissey takes care of steels.

Forretress takes bug hits like a pro, too... Do my milotic's spread and/ or set need to be changed? (Not changing nature).

froslass has some rather unfavorable match ups in ou against metagross, azelf, aerodactyl and jirachi(all very popular). I would stick her as the bulky spiker/spin blocker because the lead set is a focus sash/destiny bond suicide set.

Without a spin blocker, stall teams are nothing. "I just spent 9 turns setting up every entry hazard!" "Forrtress used rapid spin" "NOOOOO!" lol But seriously, this team needs a spin blocker. How About:

Rotom-H@Leftovers/Levitate
Modest 252 HP/200 Sp. Def/56 Sp. Atk
Will-O-Wisp/Overheat/ThunderBolt/Pain Split

This would help against SDluke and also give your team another levitater. If you keep wishing latias I suggest you take off Pain Split and put another move
P.S I am not sure about the EV's, becuase my smogon database isn't working.​

Good Team, and Good Luck​

Rotom-Appliances are a no show because I can't obtain them on my Wi-Fi...
Milotic can take a two-dragon danced boosted Outrage while sleeping--pretty great I'd say. The Salamence that killed it immediately died from toxic afterward.

Hmm, I am open to switching anything but the Milotic... I suppose Dusknoir would work well... what should I switch Starmie, Roserade, and Latias out for? I have been considering Calm Mind Cresselia.

Milotic
Forretress
Blissey
Dusknoir
??? What else? I'd need a T-Tar counter!
Also, I'm wondering if I should switch Toxic on Milotic to Ice Beam.

Hey that's a pretty good stall team you built. Personally I feel that you should change your lead to:
Metagross @ occa berry/Leftovers/Lum Berry
Adamant 252HP/240Atk/16Spe
~Meteor Mash
~Stealth Rock
~Earthquake
~Bullet Punch

If you want a more defensive Metagross so you can have it switch back in on an Outraging Salamence change the nature the Impish and the Atk EVs to Def. I personally like using the defensive version because it can easily take out many leads without taking a hit with it's priority move Bullet Punch and massive 150 Power Meteor Mash (STAB).

Since this would replace your roserade and replacing your toxic spiker, you should try changing your Forretress to this:

Forretress @ Shed shell/Leftovers
Careful 252HP/80Def/176SpD
~Payback
~Rapid Spin
~Spikes
~Toxic Pikes

by changing foretress to this set and changing your lead to Metagross you now only have 2 pokemon that set up entry hazzards and spin hazzards set up on your side as well. This EV set gives Forretress 336Def and 220SpD. It may not be as physically defensive ad you want but this guy can still take a lot of attacks as a Gyarados Adamant 252Atk with 1 DD up will fail to 2HKO Forretress with Waterfall, which allows you to get Toxic spikes up.

As for your Latias I don't think wish support would be the best way to go as I saw you saying that you need a sweeper. Well I use this latias and ifeel it may fit into your team better.

Latias @Leftovers
Timid 252HP/80Def/176Spe
~Dragon Pulse
~Roar
~Recover
~Calm Mind

this latias is so versitile as it can sweep pseudo-haze and wall both physical and special sweepers. The Evs give her 236 Def 264 Hp and 330 Spe. The speed evs let her outspeed pesky speed + nature Salamences and OHKO with dragon pulse. This pokemon works out very well against Rest Talking Suicunes as usually your opponent will not think of her as a threat while you two are setting up Calm Minds. After you get 4-6 in you roar the suicunes away and have fun sweeping through your opponents team. The Def Evs help her switch in on physical attack like evires thunder punch or infernape close combat.

As for a spins blocker... You don't have one. The only thing I could see replacing on your team for a spin blocker would be Blissey but sure you want to keep her so I'll let you decide on that.

I'm NOT switching Milotic out for Vaporeon... Marvel Scale makes Milotic the only Sleeptalker who gets rewarded for their job. I like Latias better as a wisher and phaser, and Flamethrower on Blissey takes care of steels.

Forretress takes bug hits like a pro, too... Do my milotic's spread and/ or set need to be changed? (Not changing nature).
just a small correction, heracross gets a boost from rest talk, with guts.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well it seems to me that you are split between a semi stall team and stall. I do however think that Skarmory should go over Forretress as it does the same job but can phaze with wirlwind and has recovery. Since you are on wi-fi I guess a Celebi is out of the question lol?

I'll be able to get it at the event, pretty soon I think.
The only reason I haven't put in Skarmory yet is because of the overwhelming electricity weakness it's bring me...

I might switch Starmie out and put in lead Empoleon.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Right after much effort and studying I have found alternatives for your stall team while still keeping militic and entry hazards.

Suggestions

Roserade: Its fine how it is authough you may want to adjust the ev spread to make it more defensive.

Latias: The CM + Roar sets suggested by others are very good however if you wish to keep your current Latias set that is also fine.

Blissey: the current set you have is fine.

Forretress:It too is fine however a skarmory could be considered as it can also phaze (so you do not have to use Latias all the time) and it also has a recovery move. Skarmory is a nice choice if you wish to change the Latias set to one without roar.

Milotic: you wanted to keep it so keep it, its fine.

Lastly: the spin blocker Spiritomb!
Firsly this is not my set and i only came accross it on IPL's RMT when I was building my own stall team.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Pressure
Carefull
248 HP 8 Def 252 SDef
Curse
Will-o-wisp
Rest
Pursuit.

Again this is not my set and I take no credit from it, credit IPL or however he got the idea from.
This set can fuction as a spin blocker . It burns pokemon and has Pursuit to hit pursuit bait pokemon hard. Curse is there to prevent last pokemon situations and rest can heal spiritomb after it has used Curse, (and also for longativity)

Thats it, everything u wanted is on it and it still gives you a spin blocker, 3 entry hazards and something to stop last pokemon situations.

However, you will only have one phazer (if you go with Forretress instead of Skarmory) or no rapid spinner (if you go with Skarmory over Forretress) so the chioce is solely up to you.

GL with the team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)