Resource Stall V2 (Week #6 Mega Pidgeot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reserving Rotom-Wash as a Tornadus-Therian counter / check based off investment.

While I'm at it why don't we separate tanks from walls so people know there going to have to use Wish Passing or Rest in conjunction or else be worn down so much as to be unable to force a 'mon out. Also would add Dragon Tail and Clear Smog into the Phasing sub-folders.

Last edited:
Okay assuming life orb used to give maximum problems to our hypothetical stall i see personally i have 2 maybe 3 mons that can deal with life orb/taunt serp.

Option 1:

Torn-I running Assault vest which takes 25% maximum from leaf-storm on the switch. Hurricane is always a 1hko back providing it hits. Personally i dont like torn-I as an answer though as with rocks up and high rolls on 0 and +2 leafstorm he actually gets ko'd by Serp which is pretty bad and that means you kinda have to rely on not missing that hurricane. And as we all know hax is the bane of any stall's existance.

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 240 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus: 77-91 (21.4 - 25.3%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 240 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus: 153-181 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Tornadus Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 300-354 (103 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Option 2:

Togekiss is also a viable option as it resists its main nukes and doesnt take damage from dragon pulse. If Serp is running life-orb it has a small chance to 2hko after rocks and with max rolls with leaf-storm if you have no spd investment. However with life-orb damage, stealth rocks and one air slash you will *usually* ko and survive if albeit very weak. Running any spd investment is probably a good idea if you want to be safe. If it has miracle seed then it will always miss the 2hko but at the same time you wont kill it back unless it has taken prior damage so therefore he will still be alive to do the third hit for the kill on toge.

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 86-101 (23 - 27%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 170-200 (45.5 - 53.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

8 SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 200-236 (68.7 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Option 3:

My personal favourite is sap-sipper azu which is happily gaining more recognition. Takes no damage from serp as it is immune to both dragon and grass. You can do whatever you want in return, you can just spam sleep talk at it if you feel like trolling as it will never kill you.

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Azumarill: 30-36 (7.4 - 8.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Honestly thanks to this Serp version running taunt all the usual special walls like chansey dont really stand much of a chance. I guess you can seismic toss it but you'll still die first assuming no miss (unless you know for certain it carries have taunt and spam stoss from start) and while serp will be nearly dead from lo + stoss damage its still going to be there and stall doesnt really do fast revenge killing so its still going to be a pain from here on out. Clefable loses to taunt pretty badly, fortunately taunt isnt the most common choice, most people prefer glare/giga to give them better matchup vs balance teams

Ragnarock

Banned deucer.
I'd slash synthesis with dpulse as it will be a more reliable way to dealing with things like chansey when combined with taunt, keeping its threatening presence as it just heals away Stosses and other opposing dmg from stall

Don't Forget Stall has SpD Talonflame to deal with Serperior provided Stealth Rock isn't up, Heatran can also check it but gets worn down quite quickly. On a desperate level, Ice Beam (CM) Blissey is usable

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 152-179 (42.3 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 228-270 (78.3 - 92.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 138-164 (35.8 - 42.5%) -- 93% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 0 SpA Blissey Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 158-188 (54.2 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Blissey: 296-348 (41.5 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I think defensive Mega Venusaur would work as a counter, even if you build for physical defence instead.. It can't take every situation but will likely go as a one-for-one trade off with Serperior itself if you haven't Mega Evolved it first.

I've worked with this moveset for Mega Venusaur the standard one I remembered from over a year ago):

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire

Some relevant calculations:
- Assuming you bring in Venusaur when Serperior comes out:

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Venusaur: 104-125 (28.6 - 34.4%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Venusaur: 40-48 (11 - 13.2%) -- possible 7HKO after Stealth Rock

- This means Venusaur takes either a maximum of 46.9% (HP Fire) or 25.7% (Leaf Storm) post Stealth Rocks. If you Mega Evolve it after, the key calculations are:

0 SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 240-284 (82.4 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Mega Venusaur: 64-75 (17.6 - 20.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Mega Venusaur: 126-149 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

- Assuming Serperior went with HP Fire, it can only deal a maximum of 20.6% on the next turn, a 67.5% maximum damage. It will lose 20% from Life Orb, meaning Venusaur's next attack is a OHKO. It's likely Venusaur won't tank the next hit coming after it unless you drop Wish on it at a good time...but at least you take out a huge threat.

- If Superior went with Leaf Storm on the first turn, then its next attack is 41%, leaving a maximum damage of 66.7% damage. But Serperior still loses 20% from Life Orb, again making it a OHKO Sludge Bomb back. Again, unless Venusaur has a paved path with its checks and counters are gone, it's likely down after this exchange.

You'd probably want a different one if you don't like the idea of going 1 for 1 with Serperior (and I personally prefer the use of Sap Sipper Azumarill because of the "unexpected" factor) but it's still a fairly useful option.

Last edited:

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Non nasty plot sets get hardwalled by sableye and mandibuzz. It can be scary though because it can hit on both sides and taunt passive non dark types like clefable. It has paper thin physical defense so talon sicizor and shedinja can murder it. Overall a bit restricting bit hard walled by certain things. It also sees pathetic usage so it isn't really a threat to stall.
Edit: this is only talking about c, u got added in later

Last edited:
Non nasty plot sets get hardwalled by sableye and mandibuzz. It can be scary though because it can hit on both sides and taunt passive non dark types like clefable. It has paper thin physical defense so talon sicizor and shedinja can murder it. Overall a bit restricting bit hard walled by certain things. It also sees pathetic usage so it isn't really a threat to stall.
Seconding this.

And hoopa-C's gonna use a nasty plot/sub set more often. In that set's case unaware clefable is a pretty nice check and any faster physical attacker (although they should be able to survive 1 hit). But worrying about hoopa-C isn't really necessarily since hoopa-U will be used over it. Hoopa's also fucked up by the common faces of semi(-stall)(mega sableye, clefable (yeah i mentioned it already), sp def talonflame, ...) so stall doesn't really have to worry about it

Sableye is 2HKO'd by Dark Pulse (and a few run t-bolt), but are best answer to the forms of Hoopa so far are the quick birds such as Talonflame and Tornadous-T. Neither of the mentioned birds take a hit well, but they can out-speed/out-prioritize it and deal with it with Brave Bird, and U-Turn. Scizor can also check it

This Pokemon probably killed full stall by itself.

Talking about Hoopa-c
Mega Sableye can be a counter (Assuming your fully specially defensive)
4 Atk Mega Sableye Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 376-448 (124.9 - 148.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye: 106-126 (34.8 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Choice Band Hoopa-U is a lord. Gunk Shot 2HKOs Mandibuzz after SR. HSF/Gunk/Drain Punch is really all the coverage you need (HSF is 2HKOing even stuff like max def Skarm / Scizor after rocks), so you can even run Trick in the last slot. What's the point of that? Well if that stupid Goth stall tries to cripple you after getting a kill, you can just trick some fat wall a Choice Scarf later. :)

1. Mold Breaker makes this a very dangerous Pokemon for stall to face, as they are unable to get past it with Unaware users. The fact that it might be regular Gyara with Bounce means that stall teams can't just rely on a grass type to check this.
2. OK so bulky grass types are probably the best counters to this thing. Even with Ice Fang, things like Chesnaught, Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Gourgeist-XL counter it. Porygon2 as well.

Also, from more of a semi-stall angle is:
Ferrothorn breaks past post-mega with Power Whip, Skarmory phases out non-taunt variants, while Sableye burns the non-substitute variants, and Rotom-W threatens it with Wisp and Volt Switch if it lacks Earthquake. Keeping Stealth Rocks up is a nice way to limit switch-ins. Mega Altairia can check it in most scenarios also.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1. Mold breaker taunt prevent Sableye from burning it or Skarm from phasing it out when it sets up dragon dances on it. The setup move dragon dance allows Gyarados to boost its attack to ridiculous levels, and it is really easy to set up after it has taunted opponents. Additionally, Mega Gyarados has an excellent pre-mega typing in water/flying that allows it to neutrally tank hits from the bulky grass types that wall it post mega. Lastly, Mega Gyarados has unresisted STABs vs most stall teams, which can do a ton of damage. (msab: neutral to both, amoong: neutral to crunch, skarm: neutral to both, etc.)

2. Mega Gyarados is a huge threat to stall, but its best counters on various forms of stall are probably Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, Alomomola, Mega Alt, and maybe a few other mons, but amoong and alo can't do much damage to gyara as alo only usually runs scald, which is luck basaed, and amoonguss can't touch gyarados until it mega evolves.

Chesnaught is my favoured counter to Gyarados. It deals with virtually every set it has and is able to set up on them (the exception is Bounce - about 20% frequency). Great if you have Spikes on it or Substitute.

It doesn't really matter which moveset you use but I'll use one of the common sets for him:

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield/Substitute
- Drain Punch

Chesnaught's power comes from its typing: Grass/Fighting resists EdgeQuake (its bread and butter) and takes on STAB Waterfalls no problem. That plus some impressive physical bulk make it a premier wall against Sand Offence...or whatever its equivalent is today. The only move that scares it is Ice Fang on Mega Gyarados and that isn't even a problem. The addition of Drain Punch makes it not terribly concerned about Mega Gyarados' Taunt.

Chesnaught's attack is a near 2HKO. Even if it calls up a Substitute first turn, Chesnaught will end up with a 3HKO and will continually regenerate HP from Leftovers and its Drain Punch:
0 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 158-188 (47.7 - 56.7%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO

The damage from Mega Gyarados with the two listed attacks are really weak, even if it uses a Dragon Dance first. If you consider the Drain Punch recovery, it's basically negligible damage:
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 70-83 (18.4 - 21.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 70-83 (18.4 - 21.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 58-69 (15.2 - 18.1%) -- possible 8HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Ice Fang is a little more interesting. If you consider the damage, Chesnaught comes in, takes 6.25% [93.75% HP]. Then Gyarados takes a Dragon Dance and Chesnaughts recovers Leftovers [100%]. Gyarados deals up to 47.3% [52.7%] and Chesnaught deals the first of three attacks. Let's assume the lowest HP damage, 47.7%, and it recovers 79 HP [~20.8%. so up to 79.75%]. Another turns of this brings Chesnaught to 59.5%. A final round, assuming this worst case damage scenario, has Chesnaught brought down to 12.2%, recovering to recover 13 HP [3.4%], and end the turn at 21.85%. The absolute worst case scenario with non-Bounce Mega Gyarados (barring critical hits) is basically being bait for whatever Pokemon comes out next. However, 7/8 times, it'll likely result in you KOing Mega Gyarados with good HP left.
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 152-180 (40 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

On the other hand, Gyarados might opt for a 2+ boost. To ensure everything works out well, Chesnaught must ensure it survives two blows. This is where Drain Punch makes Chesnaught awesome. That HP recovery saves it in non-critical hit fringe scenarios. If Gyarados opts for this, Turn 3 (Turn 1 sub in) becomes a situation where Gyarados is in 2HKO range and Chesnaught is at 100%. Gyarados' first strike brings Chesnaught down to 36.9%, but its recovery brings it back up to around 63.95%...just enough to squeak out a win since it is in KO territory at the end of the turn. It's not elegant and leaves very room for error but Gyarados taking 2+ Ice Fang can't beat a fresh Chesnaught. I make no promises in this department as rounding becomes very relevant in cases of single HP but this type of scenario is exceedingly rare...I've never seen it happen myself.
+2 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 204-240 (53.6 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Let's go one further. Gyarados does a 3+ boost after an unlucky 1st Drain Punch. After Turn 3, Gyarados really rolls the dice and has taken 2 Drain Punches [Maximum HP: 4.6%] while Chesnaught, in all likelihood, sits at a healthy 100%. Chesnaught is down to a minimum of 21.1% and recovers up to 31.1%.
+3 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 254-300 (66.8 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Of course, Chesnaught is a known Gyarados killer. Most times, the opponent opts for a switch; I'd probably use Leech Seed instead of Drain Punch on Turn 2. Let's say you're dumb like me that way and overpredict your opponent who opts to have Gyarados stay in and fight Chesnaught. This is trivial without Ice Fang...the HP lost comes back from Leech Seed. With Ice Fang, it's a little more fun.
- Consider at the end of Turn 2 (Turn 1 being a sub in), Gyarados is seeded. Chesnaught recovers 41 HP per tern (10.8%) from it. If Gyarados opts to Ice Fang on Turn 2, that brings Chesnaught down to 52.7% and then it recovers back up to 69.75%. Gyarados [87.5%], if it continues, brings Chesnaught down to 22.45% before Chesnaught goes for Drain Punch, the obvious killer here. Chesnaught recovers a minimum of 60.3% and Gyarados goes down to 27.3% Turn 4 has Chesnaught down to 13% before Drain Punch. Drain Punch results in a ~45 HP gain [11.8%] and brings Chesnaught to 31%, a KO range if you're not careful. But you still get the KO.
- On the other hand, consider if Gyarados opts for a +2 boost. At the end of Turn 2, Gyarados has two stacks and is seeded [at 87.5%] while Chesnaught is at 100%. Turn 3, Gyarados unleashes its Ice Fang [Chesnaught at 36.9%] and Chesnaught Drain Punches [Gyarados down to 27.3% maximum, Chesnaught at 74.75%]. Turn 4 is the KO turn again [Chesnaught down to 11.65%, then up to 29.7%], another "exchange" scenario...which might not be your favourite idea if they've got a Bisharp or an Excadrill lying around since Chesnaught is likely your counter for those as well
- Let's again assume they predict a passive Chesnaught and go for a 3+ Gyarados. Things get better since on Turn 3, Gyarados is at 27.3% and is +3. On Turn 4, Gyarados attacks, leaving Chesnaught at 21.1% minimum and Chesnaught recovers up to 39.15%.

This might sound shaky. But this is all worst case scenario with the idea that you can use Substitute instead of Spiky Shield. You can use that at any time to take back a free 6.25% while dishing out a free 12.5% on most attacks. I've loved building Chesnaughts with Substitute so I don't call them necessary to the strategy. It also comes with the nice advantage that, if you use it and predict a switch correctly, then you can lay free Spikes or Leech Seed on their Chesnaught counter before coming out.

One thing I would watch out for is if the opponent knows your Gyarados counter is Chesnaught while Gyarados has Ice Fang and opts to stay in Gyarados form until it feels ready to go after Chesnaught.

That said, I do note before that Bounce is a real concern here. I don't see much of Bounce Mega Gyarados but if that concerns you, I'd use Ferrothorn instead who powers straight through Gyarados. It has greater utility and walls some big threats in exchange for being unable to really stop the Sand Offence threats.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bounce isn't really a big deal if you run Spiky Shield which I think is generally more annoying to deal with than dual STAB variants anyway. Just Spiky Shield on the 2nd turn of Bounce and profit.

Amoonguss is a pretty solid check if M-Gyara has already mega evolved, but otherwise I think it's only got a very small chance to break subs on regular form. Since Gyarados often utilizes its pre-mega form for setup opportunities, Amoonguss isn't the most reliable check until after it has mega'd. Also I saw someone mentioned Gourgeist but Crunch kinda bops that

Last edited:
Bounce isn't really a big deal if you run Spiky Shield which I think is generally more annoying to deal with than dual STAB variants anyway. Just Spiky Shield on the 2nd turn of Bounce and profit.

Amoonguss is a pretty solid check if M-Gyara has already mega evolved, but otherwise I think it's only got a very small chance to break subs on regular form. Since Gyarados often utilizes its pre-mega form for setup opportunities, Amoonguss isn't the most reliable check until after it has mega'd. Also I saw someone mentioned Gourgeist but Crunch kinda bops that
Fair enough. I wrote the entire thing assuming that you could alternate between Substitute and Spiky Shield.

If you run Spiky Shield, you get a little more predictable (Spiky Shield is the most recognizable Chesnaught attack) but should be able to deal with Mega Gyarados very well.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
MGyara is really hard to switch in on simply because its STABs just rip so many things apart while Mold Breaker stops stuff like MSab from safely crippling it.

When I'm using non-Shed stall and I have a Sab, I will usually save Sab's prankster until the Gyara has been crippled burned. Chesnaught is a sweet stop, although it does need to watch out for Ice Fang vars (cause Bounce is countered by shield lol); Ferro is often able to come out the other side if Gyara has mega'd up (although boosted Crunches are gonna hurt a lot) and can often force a trade with Power Whip+Barbs(+potential helmet). Bulky waters can often take a hit and Scald it, although Sub is a pain in the backside for these.

An interesting stop to non-Bounce vars that I've used on a few semistall teams is RestTalk Keldeo, as it resists both STABs and can severely dent it with Secret Sword.

Last edited:
MGyara is really hard to switch in on simply because its STABs just rip so many things apart while Mold Breaker stops stuff like MSab from safely crippling it.

An interesting stop to non-Bounce vars that I've used on a few semistall teams is RestTalk Keldeo, as it resists both STABs and can severely dent it with Secret Sword.

Poliwrath is also sweet on full stall in that it heals off of its Waterfalls, resists both Crunch and Ice Fang and can phaze it with Circle Throw. The only thing it needs to watch out for is Earthquake (Circle Throw breaks Subs), although it needs multiple boosts (and Poli doesn't really let it get those with Circle Throw). Hell, if I'm feeling unusually real I'll sometimes switch out Sleep Talk for Protect to counterteam Bounce variants.
Pre-Mega Gyrados resists both or these pokemon. Also Mold Breaker ignores Water Absorb.

1. What makes Breloom so threatening to Stall?

If Stall doesn't have a Pokemon that can wall an offensive threat, the main ways it is dealt with is with pressuring switches + chip damage, phazing, Taunt, and status. PH Breloom is relatively hard to wall due to Swords Dance and its ability to break through Quagsire, and due to the heal + already being poisoned, it is immune to all of the above options bar Taunt and Phazing. This means that you either need to find a Pokemon that avoids the 2HKO from +2 Breloom and either phazes or outspeeds positive base 70 and Taunts, or straight out faint it with an offensive move, usually a Flying-type move.

2. Which Stall Pokemon can deal with Breloom?

The answers to PH Breloom are along the same lines as Serperior - AV Tornadus-T and Togekiss are usually your best bets. You need to hit the move, though...

244 Atk Breloom Facade (140 BP) vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 183-216 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
244 Atk Breloom Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 158-187 (42.3 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
If Breloom is paired up with a hazard setter that can't break Mega Sableye (which means the user won't get up his hazards) Breloom can be defeated by a few things like Brave Bird Skarmory, Unaware Clefable, Togekiss and Amoonguss but that's pretty much it.
Mega Scizor and Mega Altaria beat it but lose to Spikes, which can be stacked because there is no Mega Sableye on those teams. Mega Latias beats it but only with Psyshock.
This leaves us with stall's favorite answer to pokemon it can't beat: Gothitelle. Gothitelle tricks Breloom a scarf so Breloom can still break walls, but loom won't beat Skarmory, Mega Venusaur, Clefable etc. because you lack SD boosts.
All these defensive answers to Breloom seriously lack offensive presence so it shouldn't be too hard for an offensive team to give it offensive support to beat those pokemon (hint: Magma Storm Taunttran) If you pair it up with something that already lures in Gothitelle (clef, mana, toge for example) to get rid of its scarf, Breloom shouldn't have too many issues to beat Goth+Sab stall as both Skarmory and Amoonguss lose to Breloom after 30% prior damage.

1. Breloom is immune to status once poison heal is up and can easily setup on Pokemon. Unaware Quagsire can't switch in.

2.Unaware Clefable,chesnaught, and Amoongus can deal with it.

OK, so much to say.

Yes, we have another grass type threat,but this time its physical. However, since it has Poison Heal it turns a very common status move into a liability. Once it sets up a Swords Dance, its capable of breaking its way through stall relatively easy. Anyhow on to the answers:

Mega Altairia: This is capable of hitting it with a Pixilated STAB move while resisting every move but facade. Pre-Mega it has Natural Cure, so it can come in even if Breloom carries Spore.
Mega Latias: Has higher speed and Psychic STABs, but it can't switch directly into Breloom fearing Spore.
Mega Charizard-X: The Bulky-Wisp set is great here, and there's the fact how easy to bluff different sets.
Mega-Venusaur: Sludge Wave hits it SE, and it is immune to Spore.

Mega-Sableye: not an answer once it gets poisoned, but it pressure's your opponent from switching into a Knock Off or Wisp (I have to list the fact this is on a good majority of stall teams).

Talonflame: Picks up the kill with a priority Brave Bird or Acrobatics .
Tornadous: Hurricane or Heatwave both hurt it, but don't miss.
Amoongus: Sludge Wave hits it SE, and it is immune to Spore.
Clefable: Unaware ignores SDs, proceeds to kill with an SE Moonblast.

Gothitelle: As much as I hate to mention this it became popular during the OLT. Its guaranteed to get an kill with its Psychic STAB combined with Shadow Tag.
Shedninja: This just hard walls any set w/o Rock Tomb.

I've actually got to post my Top 5 mega evolutions on this :toast:

2.Unaware Clefable,chesnaught, and Amoongus can deal with it.
Chesnaught is probably my favourite solution. I'm not sure if it's the perfect solution if Breloom does a Swords Dance when you switch in given it takes up to ~65% from Facade...but it works so well against the standard set that I would be fine running the risk.

Doublade, though a really niche option, stops Breloom in its tracks. Its attacks are worthless against Doublade as Normal and Fighting are useless while Grass and Rock are resisted.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball/Iron Head
- Toxic
- Rest
- Irrelevant in this calculation

Breloom's best attack, even after a Swords Dance, is pretty pathetic:
+2 252 Atk Breloom Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 61-72 (18.9 - 22.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock

Either Gyro Ball or Iron Head are 3HKOs likely.
4 Atk Doublade Iron Head vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 114-135 (43.1 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal
4 Atk Doublade Gyro Ball (97 BP) vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 136-162 (51.5 - 61.3%) -- 53.9% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

The only risk of losing to Breloom is if it has some good luck with Swords Dance boosted Bullet Seeds under Technician.

The real problem in using Doublade is its limited walling range. It had limited upside in an era where Mega Medicham, from what I can tell, is less prevalent. Additionally, its ability to wall Breloom is quite obvious so you'll likely end up just throwing a Toxic on the Doublade counter that your opponent puts in.

Thanks, KidMagic, for the informative OP. I'm somewhat new to ORAS OU and am currently learning to play/build stall in this tier. This thread is obviously very helpful.

ABR Stall #The Devil

This team is designed around Gothitelle, which has many crucial uses for stall teams. Gothitelle provides a means of handling Manaphy, taunt Heatran, Heracross, and a myriad of other pokemon that stall otherwise cannot handle. Mega Sableye is the staple for stall teams, due its nature as a win condition and a way of preventing opposing hazards. Skarmory and Chansey are also staple mons on stall, as they cover each side of the defensive spectrum very well. Quagsire is a necessity on most stall teams but on Goth stall especially, because Goth allows free setup for many pokemon like Bisharp and Scizor. Quagsire also acts as a safety net against a lot of uncommon sweepers like SD Lando-T. Lastly, Amoonguss is a water resist and counter to many Fairy type pokemon. It greatly aids in checking Azumarill, Keldeo, Gyarados, Clefable, and more. - Thanks to ABR for providing this one.

Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Gothitelle (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Skarmory (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
Just a quick question. I liked this team in theory and wanted to give it a try, but quickly in my first game I found opposing Calm Mind M-Sableye to be a problem. What's the recommended course of action against it? Switch to Quagsire and wear it down with Scald waiting for a burn? That's what I tried and was naturally ineffective because of CM M-Sableye's own Will-O-Wisp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)