Standard OU Wi-Fi 6th Gen Team

Introduction

Hi everyone. My name is Chompy. I haven't played the game competitively for the last 2 years (since the B/W days came out) and since X and Y just came out made me want to play again.

Here is a team that I might use for a Pokemon Wi-Fi battle tournament, and I could really use some insight on what things I should replace, such as moveset, nature, items, Pokemon, etc.

The Team

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Speed/ 6 Def
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Pretty much a suicidal hazards lead. I figured if the opponent has a bunch of fast sweepers, like Garchomp, Alakazam, Greninja, etc. I can use Sticky Web to cripple them. Plus, I wouldn't need run Choice Scarf. My only concern how to handle certain situations against fast taunt users, faster pokemon that are all out attackers (Jolteon, Aerodactyl, Greninja, etc.), and certain Pokemon that can setup on Smeargle (Dragon Dance, Shell Smash, etc.), since he really can't do anything against them, besides spore and pray that they don't wake up.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack/ 6 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Kings Shield

Very reliable Pokemon to switch into, due to his natural bulky defenses. Unfortunately, his only way of recovering is leftovers, so I have bring him out when he is able to take his from non effective moves. Shadow Sneak has saved me many matches on times when I can revenge kill someone with low enough HP to knock out. Very good Scizor counter, and special attackers that lack Shadow Ball. My only problem is that he does not fare well against ground type users that use Earthquake. Not only due to his typing, but Kings Shield doesn't reduce their attack.

Hydreigon @ Choice Spec
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed/ 6 HP
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- U-Turn

This thing can spam Draco Meteors, like theres no tomorrow, thanks to Choice Spec. It syncs very well with Sticky Web because of how slow Hydreigon is in comparison to really fast sweepers, so he can just spam a Draco Meteor and still OHKO fragile sweepers (with a -2 and the help of spikes/stealth rock support). Fire Blast is only there to OHKO Ferrothorn. I have mixed feelings with U-turn. Part of me wants to keep it because if they switch into a Blissey (Fairy type Pokemon), I can U-turn it and bring out a Physical Sweeper to take on Blissey instead. The other part of me is that if they stay in, then its like where I do from there?

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def/ 6 Sp. Atk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Rest
- Volt Switch

A Physical wall to cripple any Physical sweeper with Will-O-Wisp. I can Volt Switch my way to Mega Gengar or promote Hydreigon and blast something away with a Draco Meteor. Hes a viable Azumarill, Scizor, Garchomp, TalonFlame counter (as long as I burn them)

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Grenina is one of my all out attackers. You can manipulate the battle by simply changing his type, so you wouldn't have to take incoming super effective attackers. The only problem is he is fragile to actually use Protean to its fullest potential. The moves are self explanatory. I like him, but I feel he is kinda weak and fragile, even though you can take advantage of its protean ability for its STAB moves.
======>

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate ===> Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

The main star of the team. With three Pokemon on my team that run U-Turn/Volt Switch. I feel like I could really use Mega Gengar's Shadow Tag to its fullest potential. If Ferrothorn stays in, I can U-Turn/Volt Switch to Mega Gengar and Focus Blast (2HKO). Sludge Bomb is meant to OHKO Fairies and Grass Pokemon mainly. I like Dazzling Gleam, but I feel his attack is pretty weak and it winds up being a 2HKO on bulky dragon Pokemon, like Garchomp for instance.

Conclusion

Overally, this is my first competitive team I had posted for a while, and I feel my team is lacking something, but I can't identify what it is. I built this team the other day, and it has won me some games here and there.

Last edited:
Smeargle: Switch out either Stealth Rocks or Spikes for any priority move, Shadow Sneak is probably the best choice, so you can combat Sableye. Other than that, you have a pretty typical Smeargle set. Also, using something like Infestation can be great because it is an assured 50% damage, and you will be able to freely switch into a good typing.

Aegislash: As Aegislash has the horrible not so great HP stat of 50, putting 252 into Attack and Defense is probably the best choice so you can defend yourself from Earthquake, the most common Aegislash killer.

Hydreigon: Maybe Switch out U-Turn for Focus Miss Blast. While you won't be able to do much to Blissey, you can still just switch out without getting that extra but of damage. And if you are using Specs, you shouldn't worry about trying to take out Blissey with that.

Rotom: A great addition to your team, and able to counter huge threats to you like Assualt Vest T-Tar.

Greninja: Not liking the U-Turn. I recently saw HP Ghost used on a set, and this could be great on Greninja.

Gengar: This crazy cat is a killer. While I do understand what you are saying about the U-Turn/Volt-Switch into this, he is too frail to successfully trap, unless they are scarfed into a move that you resist/are immune to. In all reality, you should just be using him as a late game sweeper, or to stop Fairy-Types from Wish-Passing.

I've realized that after a few battles that Gengar can't take many hits from neutral or super effective attacks, due to his low hit points and lack of defense in general. He is a great revenge killer, acts as a special version of Dugtrio, only better. The thing though is he doesn't fare too well against bulky Pokemon that can generally bounce right back at him.

What exactly does the HP ghost accomplish besides avoiding hits from fighting type moves? I mean Dark Pulse can basically do everything that hidden power ghost can do in just about every way, only more power and has a chance of a flinch hax. I do agree that U-turn is pretty useless, especially when he is not able to change his type to Bug in order to tank the hits from grass/electric type moves.

What would happen if Aegislash were to go up against Special sweepers if the EV's were invested into Defense instead?

I've realized that after a few battles that Gengar can't take many hits from neutral or super effective attacks, due to his low hit points and lack of defense in general. He is a great revenge killer, acts as a special version of Dugtrio, only better. The thing though is he doesn't fare too well against bulky Pokemon that can generally bounce right back at him.
So from what I can tell. We agree on this matter.

What exactly does the HP ghost accomplish besides avoiding hits from fighting type moves? I mean Dark Pulse can basically do everything that hidden power ghost can do in just about every way, only more power and has a chance of a flinch hax. I do agree that U-turn is pretty useless, especially when he is not able to change his type to Bug in order to tank the hits from grass/electric type moves.
At this point I am really just flinging things out there. Maybe Spikes (was that a pun?), so you have something else to set up hazards, since Smeargle needs coverage against things with taunt.

What would happen if Aegislash were to go up against Special sweepers if the EV's were invested into Defense instead?
Then Aegislash would most undoubtably faint. Though, if they were invested into HP, he would fall to both Physical and Special sweepers.

Maybe try a 252 Def/252 Sp. Def/4 Atk

Horribly gimmicky, but seems to quell your worries.

I've been seeing a lot of people mentioning that Mega Venusaur and Rotom-W make a great wall synergy. Do you guys have any suggestions of what Pokemon I should replace for Mega Venusaur and what type of nature, evs, and moveset Venusaur should run on this team?

Yeah I am sure someone more experienced can help with this but my suggestion is to take out greninja and use a special attacking venasaur like this

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
IVs: 252 HP / 200 SpAtk / 56 SpDef
Nature: Modest
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire

I was experimenting with the spatk and spdef ev's if I were you I would play around with them abit more, but this thing can take like no tomorow and hits pretty hard with the sludge bomb and most people dont expect an hp fire.

This might be something to try

Perhaps you could use Hidden Power Fire on Greninja instead of U-Turn? You basically get Fire STAB despite it being only base 60 BP thanks the nerf but it usually means death to Bug/Steel mons (though Scizor could easily hurt you/finish you off with technician boosted Bullet Punch before you attack). You also get to nail Grass Types with HP Fire too while you laugh at Grass Knots, Giga Drains, and Energy Balls.

Spikes is another option in case Smeragle only gets one layer up (or fails to get any at all) and since you are using Protean, you can be immune to Electricity.

This is just assuming that you keep Greninja around. It is pretty damn frail but Protean is pretty sexy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)