Starcraft: Brood War

Anyone here play this game? Recently it's been the only game I play, almost makes me feel like I wasted money on my newer games...I'm still pretty much a noob to the competitive scene and am only just now getting my build orders solid and my sense of timing (I main Terran). I'm also really into 2v2 play, as my midgame macro/multitask is quite shitty and I'm much more competent in putting consistant pressure on an opponent in a low econ high micro setting.

Anyone interested post your battle.net, or better yet iccup, name and maybe we can all work out some games, or a Smogon group.

EDIT-

Smogon name/SC:BW name/realm

Hot Nikkels-Tegg/iccup, USEast, USWest

EagleX-EagleX/iccup

Boredomisbliss-Boredomisbliss/USEast

Dexterity-Squirckle/USWest, iccup

Waterbomb-AX5/USEast

I've been playing BW quite a lot in the past months, and I'd say my ZvP, PvZ and PvT matchups are pretty decent. Unfortunately, my timezone is probably bad (GMT+2 / EST+7) to meet up with any of the very few people from here who play BW and would read this thread.

Also, watching FPVODs with commentary on youtube by people like Ahzz and Combat-Ex helped me a lot by explaining less-obvious tricks which however make a massive difference in games, as well as explaining build orders and general tips about what to scout for at a certain time in a certain matchup with certain build orders, etc etc.

You should look up VODs at TL.net if you still enjoy watching them, their instructional VODs are much more concise than combat-ex, he doesn't really come near any of them in terms of skill.

That's just the thing, I'm mostly trying to get noobs or people that had never found competition to...find new competition. Don't be afraid to jump back in!

I'm starting this thing up. Awesome game. Outdated UI is actually better than most.

Zergs are amazingly fun.

Yea, the outdated UI makes for alot of multitasking and is quite physically demanding. If you're interested in learning competitve play, try www.iccup.com and download their server, it's free and has alot more serious 1v1 games compared to U.S. East and West. If you do, let me know your tag, I always love having new people to play against as I'm very much still int he learning stages as well.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A bunch of us over at IRC started playing this game - pay us a visit at #starcraft on dejatoons sometime =]

I love starcraft. Except I lost my CD T_T

But besides good ol melee, what UMS games have you guys done? My favorites are Siege of Gondor (I'm basically pro at this game), Team Micro Arena, and Random Unit battles. Loved those to no end.

As Tang noted, some of us on IRC have started playing again, and it would be awesome if more people joined us. Especially for me, as the only way I've been able to get decent competition so far has been playing 1v2! So yeah, I'm calling you guys out. Find us on Dejatoons IRC and we'll get some games in. Hell, you can even just observe if you'd like. Thanks to Korea and it's awesome mapmakers, the game is even more balanced, and you can obs games without having to pick terran and lift your CC.

I'm also fairly active on TL.net, though most of that has been because I watch way too much competitive starcraft. I haven't really played all that much in years - that is, until just the last few days.

http://www.iccup.com/files/view/iCCup_Season_7_Full_mappack_02.html

This is a link to iccup's season 7 mappack, complete with obs mode for each map. Perhaps this is where you guys got yours, or did you go to the trouble of making them yourselves?

There is a certain amount of fun to trying to have 4 scvs kill each other :)

uhhh...I don't really know anything about IRC, like...what it is, how to get it etc lol, could you direct me to it? and if you're not aware iccup has a very competitive set of players, very few UMS games are ever made, almost all 1v1 or 2v2 on non-blizz maps, progamers often go on alts there to practice new builds

either iccup or IRC though, I'm down to play if you would be patient enough to help me out

edit-chenman, if you lost the cd but still have the key, you should be able to dl it on blizz's site

http://www.iccup.com/files/view/iCCup_Season_7_Full_mappack_02.html

This is a link to iccup's season 7 mappack, complete with obs mode for each map. Perhaps this is where you guys got yours, or did you go to the trouble of making them yourselves?

There is a certain amount of fun to trying to have 4 scvs kill each other :)
Yeah, I have the mappack and we do play on iccup. Most of the maps I have beside that are the official KESPA maps used in the proleague and starleagues, which I've procured from either TL or one of the other community sites.

I should probably play more often to improve my skill, but I'd rather work on helping everyone else get better first. I have way too much game knowledge from watching/playing for so long.

Seriously though, feel free to come around to #starcraft once you get it working.

Yeah, I have the mappack and we do play on iccup. Most of the maps I have beside that are the official KESPA maps used in the proleague and starleagues, which I've procured from either TL or one of the other community sites.

I should probably play more often to improve my skill, but I'd rather work on helping everyone else get better first. I have way too much game knowledge from watching/playing for so long.

Seriously though, feel free to come around to #starcraft once you get it working.
Absolutely, I need good people to play against regularly and then watch reps or go over mistakes with. I'll be there asap

EDIT-who should I be looking for?

I started playing Starcraft when I was 6 (8 years ago) and played for about 6 years, at which point my computer crashed and there was no possibility of finding the installation code. In the time that I did play I got pretty good, my best memory was winning a 3v3 match after both my partners left in the beginning (wish I still had the replay of that).

such old game.. made in 1998... I agree it is the best RTS game ever but its just soooo old. last time I played it is like 3 years ago... against a friend of mine. I remenber we played this battle for 2 hours... liturallly mined all the oil and most of mineral on the map.... and in the end I won with nuke harrass (althought i play zerg normally) and saved more oil.

Just keep on playing, train your skill, and you will be good in starcraft 2 once it come out

I was deadly with zerg and hideous with protoss too. I never got into terran, they just kinda sucked outside of BC's and Seige tanks...

I've been watching the korean pro scene for a couple years now, but I've never actually bothered trying to raise my skill. Usually my friend and I just try out stupid strategies.

Oh dang, I just noticed this thread.

After owning SC for ages I've finally gotten into the competitive aspect of the game. I played my first real SC match with thunderhorse the other day.... and wow is it fun :). I'll have to pop in that irc channel and get my ass handed to me sometime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)