Non-Pokébank OU Starman - Minior Hyper Offense!

Hello there! Thanks for clicking on my "Starman" RMT. I think that Hyper Offense is one of the hardest, yet most rewarding playstyles in Pokemon. The reason I say so is that HO requires you to be two steps ahead of your opponent at most points throughout the battle, strategically weakening opposing walls and removing checks to your own sweepers, all the while maintaining hazard control and eventually finding an opportunity to set up and sweep.

GET IN THE MOOD WITH SOME BOWIE!

My name is Nick, or Ablesyee. I started playing competitive Pokemon in late XY and have been hooked through ORAS into SUMO, really only becoming a "decent" player near the end of the ORAS meta. I've posted one RMT prior to this for ORAS OU. I aspire to become a Pokemon youtuber, but I've gotta get way better at the game before I do so. I wanted especially to post this team because it was used by two very popular Pokemon players and youtubers, of whom you all probably know: Aim, and Shofu. I'd passed the team to Aim on his stream and he decided to use it for a showcase.

I knew that I wanted to use Minior, as it's one of my favourite SUMO mons. I decided to pair it with Magnezone to assist it with trapping support after setting up a Shell Smash.

Added Mega Pinsir to the core because flying spam.

Every HO team has a lead - I went with Lycanroc, the fastest rocks setter in the Non-Pokebank meta.

I originally had scarf Tapu Lele in this slot for a fast, strong attacker and to protect Minior from priority like M-Scizor's Bullet Punch, but found out that it didn’t work like that since Minior was airborne. Also, Lele stops Mega Pinsir’s Quick Attack, which is awful.

Tentacruel acted as my water resist and hazard removal.

Scarf Garchomp was a much better fit for the team. It provided not only a fast attacker and revenge killer, but also a much needed electric immunity.

Tapu Fini replaced Tentacruel because it's just so much bulkier and because I like it better.

Overview
The team consists of a Stealth Rock lead, two setup sweepers, a Choice Scarf user/revenge killer, a trapper, and a physical wall with hazard removal.

TEAM BREAKDOWN!

Ten Acre (Lycanroc) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Toxic Accelerock

First off, we have Ten Acre the Lycanroc. Lycanroc is crazy fast, being the quickest Stealth Rocks setter in all of the non-pokebank meta. It’s got a Focus Sash so that it can always live a hit and get up rocks. It’s got the ability Steadfast, which is lackluster but also kinda cool because if something tries to fake-out your Lycanroc or it gets flinched by something faster, you’ll get the +1 speed boost and more than likely be able to set up rocks regardless of a broken sash. On this set I’m running Stealth Rock, because rocks are just too good not to; Stone Edge, for some decent damage on things like Celesteela (26-31% on max def) and Mandibuzz; Taunt, to stop defoggers like Mandibuzz and Tapu Fini from removing your rocks and to prevent rocks from slower setters; and Toxic to help whittle bulkier mons that Lycanroc can’t touch, such as Buzzwole. Max attack EVs so that Stone Edge hurts a little more, and max speed EVs with a Jolly nature to reach that impressive 355. Now running Accelerock > Toxic to break Mamoswine's sash 100% of the time. Thanks to Marcelloc2 for the suggestion.

Space City (Pinsir-Mega) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Next up is Space City the Mega Pinsir. Like in gen 6, Mega Pinsir is just disgustingly strong with its Aerilate ability, OHKOing or 2HKOing everything not named Celesteela and Skarmory after a Swords Dance. Its Quick Attack is also super strong because of Aerilate, which means it has sweeping potential at +2 even with its relatively low speed. It’s got Swords Dance to boost its attack, letting it break down walls and do crazy damage; Quick Attack for a strong priority move that’s boosted by its ability; Frustration, because it kills everything (Frustration > Return so Ditto gets a negligible move if it transforms into Mega Pinsir); and Earthquake for things like Toxapex and Magnezone. Max attack EVs because damage, max speed Jolly nature to outspeed as much as possible. Especially cool with the mega speed buff this gen.

Starman (Minior) @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Shell Smash

Next, we have the star of the team haha get it, Starman the Minior. Minior’s a pretty underrated Pokemon in the current meta. It gets a really cool unique ability in Shields Down, allowing it to avoid status conditions when at over 50% health and giving it a boost in its speed and attack while below that threshold. Shell Smash means it’s a formidable sweeper with decent offensive typing. It’s got Stone Edge as a high damage STAB; Acrobatics as another STAB, which demolishes teams after Minior’s White Herb is gone; Earthquake for things like Magnezone, Toxapex, Tapu Koko, and Marowak-A; and Shell Smash to boost its stats for a sweep. White Herb activates after a Shell Smash, patching up Minior’s defenses slightly and boosting the base power of Acrobatics to a fantastic 110. 8 HP EVs avoid the OHKO from Scarf Tapu Lele’s Psychic 100% of the time, even under Psychic Terrain. 252 Attack and an Adamant nature allows Minior to hit as hard as possible. A speed boosting nature isn’t needed because you’ll outspeed the entire unboosted meta after a shell smash in Shields Down forme. The rest is in speed so that you CAN outspeed the entire unboosted meta after a Shell Smash.

STAINLESS PT. 2 (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Next is Magnezone, who I’ve affectionately named STAINLESS PT. 2. This mon's on the team for a few reasons. The first reason is the most obvious: trapping Steel types that threaten the team. Celesteela and Scizor are crazy annoying for this team, especially the former, and this Pokemon is a fantastic check to them because of Magnet Pull. The second reason I'm running Magnezone is for the plethora of other electric types running around - Tapu Koko being the main threat. Magnezone resists its standard set. I’d originally been experimenting with an Assault Vest + Mirror Coat set, but it didn't work out since the threats I'd originally put Magnezone on the team for weren't getting OHKOd, so I ended up running Choice Specs. We've got Volt Switch for momentum, Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon for STABS, and HP Fire to hit Scizor. Max special attack with a Modest nature to hit as hard as possible, and 136 Spe to outspeed Adamant Marowak-A. The rest is dumped into HP to take hits better.

Cap'n Crunch (Garchomp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Here comes Cap'n Crunch the Garchomp. Garchomp has been a defining force in the metagame ever since its release in gen 4. Its role on this team is fairly self explanatory: a strong Choice Scarf user and electric immunity. It's got Dragon Claw and Outrage, as well as Earthquake, strong STABs; and Fire Fang to hit Kartana and Scizor.

Final (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Haze
- Defog
Lastly, we have Final the Tapu Fini. Tapu Fini is a fantastic defogger and check to bulky water types. It's also a good physical wall, and rounded off the team really well. Surf and Moonblast are good STABs; Haze is great for stopping physical setup sweepers like Garchomp and Scizor; and Defog removes opposing hazards. 56 speed EVs outspeeds max speed neutral nature Magnezone, Bewear and Incineroar, as well as max speed Jolly Azumarill and Marowak-A. Max HP and 200 defense EVs with a Bold nature makes Tapu Fini a formidable physical wall.

Importable
Ten Acre (Lycanroc) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Accelerock

Space City (Pinsir-Mega) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Starman (Minior) @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Shell Smash

STAINLESS PT. 2 (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Cap'n Crunch (Garchomp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Final (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Haze
- Defog

12/17/2016: Lycanroc set, Toxic -> Accelerock

Conclusion!
If you made it this far, thanks :] Any and all feedback is appreciated. Lastly, I'm kind of a fanatic of these two, so thank you Aim and Shofu for using this team in your videos and on stream!

Last edited:
hey there ! the team seems to have pretty good synergy over a few games i played with it. Not the biggest fan of Tapu Fini, cause it clears your own hazards, I tried Tentacruel > it again and it felt better esp w the added toxic spikes support. you also retain the haze and get a poison stab to help with opposing tapus.

I really like this team. I didn't think I'd care much for Minior, but I like your set. As mentioned above, Tentacruel seems like a better fit, but then you might need more of an answer for opposing dragons than relying solely on Garchomp to handle them. Maybe throw an Ice Beam on Tentacruel.

I really like this team. I didn't think I'd care much for Minior, but I like your set. As mentioned above, Tentacruel seems like a better fit, but then you might need more of an answer for opposing dragons than relying solely on Garchomp to handle them. Maybe throw an Ice Beam on Tentacruel.
hey there ! the team seems to have pretty good synergy over a few games i played with it. Not the biggest fan of Tapu Fini, cause it clears your own hazards, I tried Tentacruel > it again and it felt better esp w the added toxic spikes support. you also retain the haze and get a poison stab to help with opposing tapus.
Hi friends! thank you for the feedback. I meant to mention this in the original post, but running Tentacruel makes the team way too weak to Mamoswine, which is everywhere in non-bank OU. Glad you liked the team :)

No problem! I'm relatively new to the scene, or else I'd be able to give better input. But like I said before, I really like the team!

Hi friends! thank you for the feedback. I meant to mention this in the original post, but running Tentacruel makes the team way too weak to Mamoswine, which is everywhere in non-bank OU. Glad you liked the team :)
It does seem counterproductive for you to have what is effectively a suicide lead, and a defog user. It might be worth swapping Lycanroc for a more reliable rock setter (Skarmory or Ferrothorn, perhaps?), or bring in a rapid spinner. I'd go for Starmie (the old utility set - max health, max speed) if you are worried about Mamoswine.

Hey, nice team!

I suggest you run accelrock on Lycanroc over toxic to get rid of Mamoswines' sashes 100% of the times.

It does seem counterproductive for you to have what is effectively a suicide lead, and a defog user. It might be worth swapping Lycanroc for a more reliable rock setter (Skarmory or Ferrothorn, perhaps?), or bring in a rapid spinner. I'd go for Starmie (the old utility set - max health, max speed) if you are worried about Mamoswine.
Unfortunately, Rocks Skarmory and Ferrothorn are not available in non-pokebank OU. However, I will definitely try a starmie > tapu fini; it's especially nice that it retains the fighting resist. EDIT: Did some test games with Starmie, found it made the team much too weak to Greninja and it made it a lot harder to deal with Marowak-A. Sticking with Fini for now.

Hey, nice team!
I suggest you run accelrock on Lycanroc over toxic to get rid of Mamoswines' sashes 100% of the times.
Thank you for the suggestion! Now running Accelerock > Toxic on Lycanroc. Fixed the OP and the importable.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)