Starting out strong!

First Gen V team. I really struggled making a first team this generation. The combination of all these very tempting new things I want to use, but they don't all fit into one team. Deep down I keep wanting to make a team. Call it Excadrill, and make everything about it focus on supporting him, but for now...

All right. Haven't tested the Dream world bits, but that's it.

My Victory Road!
The Journey of I Choose You.
So I was browsing through some other RMT's and I saw Chandelure. For some reason this completely passed me by. So I thought hey, seems like a good revenge killer. Previously only looked at Terakion and Garchomp, but this felt better.

Revenge Killer was born.

I still needed a lead. And it just felt wrong to have a team without Stealth Rock. So I'm going old school here. Speed was his big weakness, but it still went fairly well. Mischievous Heart makes me wary, but I used him anyway.

Forretress baby!

Time for a sweeper. After a lot of reading, I landed on Thundurus. Seemed like a scary combination between the movepool, ability, and wallbreaking potential. Plus, he looks cool. Which is important ; )

Physical Sweeper! Exc... kidding. I wanted a dragon too. So I figured Hydreigon. His sweeping sets seemed a little underwhelming. Who's the next new dragon that looks beastly? Let's drop in some hax =)

Haxorus!

Who's left... Wait. I still want Hydreigon on here. Moreso because I just feel he has n intimidation factor and he was easily the toughest thing I fought while going through the game. Now I have a backup wall breaker. I just wish he had some more mixed potential.

Why don't we throw in some more entry hazards and a wall? Everyone I've talked to seems ultra fond of this guy. The new forretress they say. The better version. With thorns.

Ferrothorn!

Again, he looks super cool <3

So. maybe one of the funnier routes I've taken to a team. But its one I knew would need some tweaking too. I've had medium success with it, but a lot of the attempted changes I made, negatively impacted the other team members. Looking for synergy advice, or possible threat changes.

Here's the nitty gritty.

The Team, In Detail!
Forretress

Role: Stealth Rock Lead and DJ!
Nature: Sassy (+SpD, -Spe)
Ability: Overcoat
Item: Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Att / 252 SpD
Moveset
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Payback
Rapid Spin

Lay down some rocks, take out a spin blocker and spin away whatever they threw down. Went for overcast for the endeavor/weather leads. Ran into some trouble with those when I had sturdy. So I've been experimenting.

Ferrothorn

Role: Spikes and Solid Steel Wall
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
Ability: Overcoat
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Att / 252 Def
Moveset
Spikes
Leech Seed
Gyro Ball
Protect

Went for Defense over SpD so I have a wall to deal with each, in essence. That was the theory at least. Throws down spikes and stalls with leech seed, protect and Leftovers.

Chandelure

Role: Revenge Killer
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Att)
Ability: Shadow Tag
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Moveset
Shadow Ball
Overheat
Energy Ball
Hidden Power Fighting

Simple Revenge setup. Direct from the QC thread. Havent had a problem yet.

Thunderus

Role: Special Sweeper
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Att)
Ability: Mischievous Heart
Item: Life Orb
Moveset
Nasty Plot
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Taunt

Priority Taunt? Yes please. Priority setup too? Awesome. This thing wrecks teams. Seriously. Scary. And walls cower in fear. Beast mode.

Haxorus

Role: Physical Sweeper
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
Moveset
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon Tail

Little bit of phazing, on my sweeper is fun times. I really wanted to slap swords dance on him but he got revenge killed way too easy. But that's potential for a superior wall breaker to the next guy.

Hydreigon

Role: Wall Breaker
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Att)
Ability: Levitate
Moveset
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Taunt
Surf

I know what you're thinking. Taunt again? I haaaaaaate getting walled. Havent had the chance to test this guy out due to Thundurus ending up taking out the wall while sweeping.

So that's the team. I wanted to stick volcarona in place of the last spot but then I have 2 special sweepers, and half my offensive presence is laughed at by a pink fluffy egg roll.

Let me know what you think. I'm eager to tweak. Something feels a bit off.
Hide Tags for the TLDR Crew.

Quick sleepy rate: Latios always>Hydreigon. And a Ferrothorn with no SDef EVs is bulkier than your Forretress. Scrap Forry
for Scizor to counter Reuniclus.

Should I use Latios over Hydreigon then?

If I scrap Forretress then I lose my stealth rocker and my rapid spinner. Alternatives?
Or make forretress physically bulky and ferrothorn specially bulky?

Chandelure: Instead of Energy Ball, you can put Giga Drain. Energy Ball = 80 BP, Giga Drain = 75 BP. You may suffer quite a bit of damage from Spikes or Stealth Rock, so you might need some recovery rather than 5 extra BP of damage (not many Pokemon have a high SpD, and a weakness to Grass types).

Hydreigon: Why Surf? Dark Pulse should be used to kill Cresselia, Reuniclus, Gothitelle, Meloetta, Dusknoir, Jellicent, and other somewhat capable Special Walls.

Forretress + Ferrothorn: They both are super weak against Fire attacks.

I'll try out Giga drain, but I really dont like the low PP it has. Especially if revenging someone with pressure. I'll give it a shot though, see how it goes.

"Surf hits Heatran, who would otherwise wall this set, hard."
I suppose I can use someone else to handle heatran though. but most of the threats you mentioned can be handled by a life orbed draco meteor with about the same effectiveness as a dark pulse. If not harder. Havent run the full calculations though.

Just reading through the analysis again:

" Dark Pulse is another STAB move that Hydreigon can put to good use. It hits Pokemon like Jellicent, Reuniclus and Latios hard. However, finding a moveslot for it is difficult, as Hydreigon is hard-pressed for moveslots as it is."

I see the fire weakness, but I really haven't run into much as far as fire types go. If you've got an alternative, I'm up for a switch. I just dont want to have a team without a rapid spinner and stealth rocker. Otherwise Forretress would be gone in a heartbeat.

Edit: I could potentially deal with the double fire weakness by switching chandelure to flash fire and abusing it.

I've scrapped this team and made a new one about 3 times. Maybe I'm posting an RMT too early in the metagame to get the feedback I'm looking for. I've tried all the advice that's been listed and it hasn't really helped at all. I think the success rate in battles has actually gone down.

Blugh. Weather teams seem really really dominating this generation. I don't think I've beaten a rain team yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)