SS OU SteamPunk (Specs Volcanion Balance)

:volcanion:/:weavile:/:slowbro:/:tornadus-therian:/:landorus-therian:/:ferrothorn:

Hello RMT. First time posting a team here, so I'm sorry if there's any problems with my post.
Anyways, I've always wanted to build a team based on the Offensive Core of Volcanion + Weavile. Volcanion can force out a lot of Weavile's checks and counters (for example Tapu Fini) and weaken them for the late game.

Team in Detail:
:SS/Volcanion:
hot springs (Volcanion) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power

The main star of the team. Specs Volcanion posseses great wallbreaking potential, despite it's SR Weakness. It also has good switch-in opportunities thanks to it's typing and Water Absorb, as well as being able to come in on physical walls thanks to Weavile forcing them in. Speaking of :weavile:...

:SS/Weavile:
burglar (Weavile) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
Standard Weavile set. Chosen for it's ability to beat (most) of Volcanion's checks, and Volcanion beating most of Weavile's checks (such as Tapu Fini and Ferrothorn).

:SS/Slowbro:
head empty (Slowbro) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Body Press
- Slack Off
- Teleport
Good pivot for both of my offensive mons, as well as forming a good core with Future Sight alongside Weavile (helps with breaking Toxapex for example). Colbur Berry to help deal with Weavile easier, as it's hard to wall with this team.

:SS/Tornadus-Therian:
tatsumaki (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Defog
Great defogger, helps remove hazards for Volcanion. Standard set, a bit of defense to deal with Kartana better. Taunt over Knock Off to prevent recovery from walls (helps Weavile / Volcanion break later).

:SS/Landorus-Therian:
too loud (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 236 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
Simply a ground type, as I didn't have one yet. While I dislike SR Lando, I couldn't fit it anywhere else. Spdef can deal with the ghosts and Koko better.

:SS/Ferrothorn:
jagged (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Power Whip

Standard Set, deals with mostly everything else that my other defensive mons couldn't deal with. More Spdef to deal with Dragapult better, though it's more weak to Weavile.

I'm not very good at OU, so any suggestions are appreciated!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hey you might want to add a little more details to the description of each Pokemon or this thread might get locked

Based on:
Each member of the team requires a description that includes your reason for choosing that Pokémon, the Pokémon's role on that team, and a short description of its set. This is to help raters get an idea of what each member of the team does and will help them when trying to suggest changes to improve the team. We expect at least 3 lines of descriptions on desktop for each member.
But to continue on with the suggestions I do think this team has a very good defensive core to it Ferrothorn + Slowbro combo works really well. From an offensive perspective you are trying build a team around Weavile and Volcanion, so I'll keep that in mind with the suggestions.

So from a threat perspective I think Bisharp gives you huge issue after 1 Swords Dance and this is what I mean Weavile doesn't have Low Kick so all of the moves will be resisted. Here are the calculations vs your whole team after 1 SD + Priority Sucker Punch / Knock Off:

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 285-335 (101.4 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 80 Def Tornadus-Therian: 317-374 (87.5 - 103.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+3 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Landorus-Therian: 360-425 (94.2 - 111.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Ferrothorn: 270-320 (76.7 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 247-292 (82 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(guaranteed OHKO if stealth rocks are on the field)

So my first suggestion is in case you need something to cover Bisharp, I recommend Heavy-Duty Boots over Choice Specs for Volcanion. I understand Choice Specs hitting hard but Volcanion has a wide moveset, if someone sees the Flamethrower coming, and they go to something like Heatran and Stealth Rocks are up it becomes a very risky Pokemon that gets hurt by entry hazards badly, where it becomes a very difficult Pokemon to play around with. Heavy-Duty Boots gives you the freedom of picking other moves and most importantly protects you from entry hazard.

Next change would be Tornadus-Therian, I think aside it being a decent pivoter, I feel like Landorus-Therian can take the role of having Defog and having this slot to fix the Bisharp issue I stated above. Easily said I think Tornadus-Therian would be a must for this team but since there's other Pokemon on the team that have the ability to use Defog I would go with that. I would still like to have a U-Turner at this spot but something that can take decent care of Bisharp. I will recommend Urshifu-Rapid-Strike. Urshifu provides good wall breaking capabilities and to take both of Bisharp's stabs move, and easily kill it if it deicides to stay in. I feel like 2 Pokemon with priority moves can assist with any speed issue with the team. I would recommend the Choice Band set so you have the ability to hit hard, but I wouldn't be opposed to the scarf set even though you lose a lot of power, it comes down to preference / style of what you prefer.

1664917470654.png

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

As I stated above I feel like Landorus-Therian should be the defogger on the team, I believe that Ferrothorn can take the responsibility of provides Stealth Rock and Spikes or just SR. So my recommendation is to drop Stealth Rock < Defog. I believe Toxic can be important for status-use on any walls or opposing Landorus-Therians and U-Turn is great to have ease of pivoting and gaining the upper hand on the turn, and Lastly Landorus-Therian needs EQ no explanation.

Last recommendation I would say Ferrothorn should drop Knock Off because Weavile can have that role, I don't think you need it as opposed to other moves. Stealth Rock >Knock Off, this frees up room for Landorus-Therian to have Defog which is needed for this team to be successful. Last recommendation I would say is to deal with Fairy types I would have Ferrothorn go with Gyro Ball instead of Power Whip just because nothing else on this team has any resistance to fairies aside from Ferrothorn. Rocky Helmet might not be a bad option to add residual damage to contact moves, but its all dependent on how you plan on using Ferro.

Best of luck to this team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)