Steamy - A Pansear!! Production

The Beginning

So as always, I have trouble as a battler trying to hone my niche. It's difficult trying to learn how you play when so many other people play in a effective and appealing ways. I've been through sand storm teams, drought teams, and variations of rain teams with a minimum about of luck. I at one point even ran a dual weather team which was a fun experience. The one thing about all these teams that I lacked was a truly good combination of pokemon that fit my style of play. People have given suggestions time and time again but for me it all boiled down to learning it in my own way.

I present to you - Steamy - a Pansear!! Production. This team is something of stall combined with moderate to heavy offense. It centers around rain of course while using some odd movesets and pokemon to be successful. This team doesn't focus on one thing nor does it fail at anything to where it truly falls apart. It is, for me, the almost perfect team and when something is almost perfect, you should be proud of it. What makes team Steamy so effective isn't the element of surprise but how everyone creates a synergy that in turn creates wins. This team is possibly final, having been changed recently to something more suitable. It hasn't been like this for long, but getting me 30 wins in a row involving rage quits and legit wins, I went from 31 -30 to 61 - 30 . I'm not high on the ladder nor have I won any tourneys, I've simply enjoyed success with this team and would like to make it even better. Now let's look at the team quickly -

The Middle

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Toxic

At first I felt this pokemon truly served no purpose beyond the obvious things he normally does and discovered I was so very wrong. Politoed is more than rain, he's the leader and the lead, just because you think you've won the weather war doesn't mean you have. Coming with a modest nature, speed is not the priority, but raw power with possible burning. His EV's maximize his HP and stopping power. The hardest thing for me was keeping Politoed alive, let alone doing something as cliche as Hydro Pump/Encore/Toxic/Protect. Everyone knows what Politoed will do and they normally scout to begin with.

Choice Specs is what makes this Toed great. STAB rain boosted Scald hits hard and either OHKO's or forces a switch. Ice beam is excellent for dragons and flying types that decide to come in on the first turn trying to sweep. Or even later on. Encore is there for those like Forretress who are determined to stay in. Toxic ends the set by poisoning switch ins and tricking people into thinking my Toed is just the average.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Rest
- Haze

The healing support for my team and my SDef wall. What makes Vaporeon so great beyond it's amazing bulk and movepool is Hydration and Haze. EV's are set for max Wish heals and SDef to stall. Leftovers keeps the HP up to some extent while being a supporter. I never considered Vaporeon but once I tried it, I couldn't drop it ever again. Vaporeon is the bread and butter of a team that needs it. With the current set, it makes it hard for SAtt's to do a lot of damage and stalling out some pokemon like Latias is easy.

STAB rain boosted Scald with a chance to burn is my only offense and part of a great defense, weakening physical attackers and walls. Wish provides healing support for the team and myself when I know I won't be OHKOed and need to get a scald or haze off. Rest makes reliable recovery, and when coupled with Hydration makes Vaporeon a very tough SDef wall. Haze rounds the set off beautifully making Sword Dancers, Growth users, and many more waste their time. With a set like this, recovery is no problem in the rain and surviving while weaknening and even killing off some threats makes the set worthwhile. But the most beautiful thing is this - switching into an obvious Spore or Toxic and shrugging it off through Hydration.

Retired!

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Pain Split

A pokemon who resist fighting! I dropped Ferrothorn like a bad habit when I found this thing. Hp isn't maxed to better use Pain Split, while max Def with a bold nature shrugs off physical hits, with a touch off speed. It can't stand up to special attacks very but why should it? It takes physical hits like a pro and reduces HP through status and Pain Split. It's my wall of burn-e/poisonous death.

Besides only being weak to Physic, it takes physical abuse, and mistakes it for love. Will-O-Wisp begins the set, weakening attackers, while Sludge Bomb poisons SDef walls. Originally ran thunder to paralyze but found it ineffective versus WoW. Pain Split, is it's only means of recovery but on switch in's creates much needed health for the battle ahead or should Vaporeon be dead and unable to provide Wish support. Haze - seemingly redundant, rounds this set off stopping physical attackers and stalling - it can force switches at times. Metagross running Zen Headbutt can pose a slight problem but it's nothing WoW/Pain Split can't handle. This should be obvious but killing anything with this set is nigh impossible but that isn't the purpose nor the goal. Simply weaken the opposing team!

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

The new love of my life is Quagsire who can actually force out Jolteon and Starmie unless they run HP Grass. Quagsire covers a bunch of my threats very well and comes with poison and burning. He is a great replacement to weezing who is resistant to fighting but lacks reliable recovery and a movepool worthy of tanking my physically offensive threats.

1) Unaware makes any pokemon that boost, waste their time which is great defensively and offensively because whether you're physical or special, I'm unaware that you just Swords Danced for the 3 time and still have OHKOed me. It's also the most amazing replacement to haze ever!
2) Recover does what Pain Split can and can't but in a more reliable way. The only downfall is that I don't take some of my foes HP, but the positives outweigh the negatives in this situation
3) Toxic and STAB Scald give me a choice of burn or poison, breaking unsuspecting switch ins and weakening physical attackers that don't carry a grass move
4) He's weak to grass but that's not really an issue unless it comes to him versus Celebi/Venusaur/Ninetales, who I don't face often at all and can be handled by Vaporeon.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 152 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk / 100 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

He effectively replaced Donphan in a set I had not considered but had used before with no success. 252 for max HP with 100 in SAtk to make sure HP Ice hits hard and 0 IV's in speed with a relaxed nature for a powerful STAB gyro ball. He's pretty bulky and can resist those nasty outrages/stone edge/earthquakes with ease, while spinning away hazards.

This is my "check" to a couple of pokemon like Jolteon and Landorous who can pose a threat to my team. Stealth Rock starts the set by providing a minimal amount of hazards for my team and thus making my life a bit easier. Rapid Spin enters the set, effectively clearing away all hazards for a safe entry for the entire team, especially when low on health or if Thundurus-T is coming in. Gyro Ball provides a decent check to fast pokemon like Scarf Thundurus or Tornadus who choose to come in or attempt to kill me. Ending the set is HP Ice which deals with the aforementioned threats and Landorous as well. He probably sees the second to the least game time after Politoed but still rightfully holds a position on my team offensively, defensively, and utility wise.

The Climax!

Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch

Saw this set a couple of times and actually it's a threat to my team but he is an amazing pokemon with an amazing set, that also absorbs toxic spikes. 252 in HP maximizes Substitutes and 252 in Spd to outspeed some common threats like Dragonite that may Hurricane me. Toxicroak is a great pokemon for this team and it really shows when he can 6-0 a team with ease. He's the Jolly Sweeper and makes it hit business to clean up.

Substitute makes this a really good set through stopping leech seed and status moves while allowing him to continuously regain HP through the rain and create more substitutes. Swords Dance and Life Orb really make a great combo creating very powerful hits. With a +2-+6 Swords Dance and Life Orb, hardly anyone stands up to him, especially behind a substitute, taking out faster opponents with ease and getting healed through waters attacks only makes him more formidable. Drain Punch brings him back to 90% HP most of the time and Sucker Punch ends the set giving a priority move that can Knock Tornadus out the air with ease.

Retired!

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Nasty Plot

He's defensively weaker than what I normally would want but finishes the climax of Steamy with offensive power that can cause rage quits and almost complete sweeps. 252 SpAtk to to maximize base damage and 252 Spd to outspeed common threats. Coupled with Life orb for 30% more damage to already high SAtk, he is my weak monster. To each their own and to him comes the job of wall breaking.

The beginning of the set, Grass Knot, nails walls like Swampert and Gastrodon for high damage while hitting other threats like Tyrnanitar for decent damage. Thunder comes into the set for a powerful STAB with perfect accuracy in the rain that decimates many threats. HP Ground makes the set hitting unsuspecting steel types hard and providing ground coverage on a team with none. Nasty Plot ends the set and enhances it, making a +2 NP+LO hit danagerous to switch into and more dangerous to try and survive. And lastly one of the biggest benefits to Thundurus is Volt Absorb, allowing him to take Thunder Wave for some free HP.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Low Kick
- Pursuit

He's the new one on the team and is a great addition with blistering speed and CB hits that make you think a truck just came through, he is the Thudurus replacement. What makes him better than Thundurus is

1) Faster and can utilize choice band to his advantage whereas no version of Thundurus could truly be beneficial like he is. Speed was a major reason Thundurus died so much and on top of that, everyone was ready to OHKO him.
2) He has 100% accuracy for all his moves so having a fighting move with no chance to miss and being useful outside of weather made a big difference in choosing him for my team.
3) He's a monster offensively and faster than the vast, vast, vast majority of the OU metagame to the point that only Jolteon and Meloetta Fighting Form outspeeds him as far as OU is concerned.

He fits the same role to some extent as Thundurus did but with the addition of Quagsire to the team, a lot of my weaknesses ended up being covered to the point that it was pointless for Thundurus to be there and he was useless. Weavile makes an excellent late game sweeper and can decimate dragon switch ins like it's nothing. He's also really good at luring really fast pokemon into a Forretress Gyro Ball or HP Ice. Weavile has excellent synergy with this team and while I am more likely to get hit by ground moves and electric - no more than before really - Weavile fits an excellent spot on my team as a revenger killer and sweeper.
The End

Thank you for reading this RMT and I look forward to feedback. Below, a threat list and eimportable are available.

Threat List
Gastrodon
The guy with the Worry Seed Ferrothorn
Volcarona with HP grass
Trick Room
Celebi
Ninetales with Solarbeam
Venusaur
Grass moves
Specs Magnezone
Rotom W - SDef

Importable
Politoed @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic

Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 152 Def / 100 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Rest
- Haze

Weavile @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Ice Shard
- Night Slash
- Low Kick
- Pursuit

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Edits
Weezing has been replaced for Amoongus

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 36 SAtk / 220 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore

******************He has been removed and Weezing readded for a variety of reasons
1) His Low HP and Pain Split outweigh the benefits of Regenerator
2) Clear Smog doesn't work with Substitute
3) Spore doesn't fit this team's style
4) Far too slow for my needs

The current Weezing set weakens physical attackers and walls - while negating boosting effects and regaining HP through Pain Split. I can not rightfully use Amoongus in Weezing's place

Encore changed to Focus Blast!

Politoed @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic

EVs for Toxicroak changed!

Toxicroak (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch

Added Lickylicky with Cloud Nine to the list and Celebi as well.

****New
RMT has been updated and new mon added to the RMT/Threat list.
Many threats were removed due to new pokemon.
New EV's on Politoed and Toxicroak

I'm actually supposed to be going out 15 minutes ago so this will have to be short.
Just off the top of my head, Electric types are auto-win's vs this team. Think LO Jolteon with HP Ice.

Something obvious to try would be Amoonguss > Toxicroak, and then probably replacing Weezing with a solid Terrakion counter such as Impish Landorus-T or Gliscor.

Hm, bubbly has a point there. Life Orb Jolteon with HP Ice just wrecks your entire team. It can walk through every one of them but maybe Thundurus-T and an un-boosted and none STAB Sucker Punch will not be enough to kill. To make life worse, if your Toxicroak is not behind the Substitute, you can have lots of trouble. Modest Jolteon is what can do lots of damage. But since it's not that common, it's all cool. But opposing rain Jolteon or Thundurus-T with Thunder can mean problem.

I also kind of disagree with bubbly about replacing Toxicroak for Amoonguss. Replacing it over Weezing is a better option. Not only you can take electric and fighting hits better, but you're bulkier and you can do way more. Putting Pokes to sleep is such a fun thing, too. With Amoonguss in your team, you can replace Grass Knot for Focus Blast and HP Fire (No idea why you use that for under the sun) for HP Ice to take on against dragons. Gastro and Swampert? No problem! You already have Politeod for the job.

Also, I recommend you replace Toxic over Haze. Sure, getting rid of the stat changes is nice, but Toxic helps better and wear them down slower and if there are any Steel-Types like SD Scizor, they'll have to risk a Scald Burn or they just get the nuts out to avoid getting burned. If you are going for a powerful Specs Politeod, replace Hydro Pump over Scald. If not, it's get killed or you kill them (but have to risk not missing. Lol.).

That is all now, hope that helps!

EVs: 25 SAtk / 252 HP / 228 Def
Bold Nature / Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Sludge Bomb
- Stun Spore
Hidden Power Ice if you hate Dragons and Gliscor so much of if you have little ways to deal with that, or else go for the Sludge Bomb to hit other stuff. Bold Nature to take strong physical attackers' hit. Or else Calm Nature for special attackers, but since you got Vaporeon already, I don't suggest Calm. But it's all up to you.

Lol, a Thundurus-T fan pic just for you because bored.
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/300..._scacred_forme_t_bolt_by_fatmon66-d4zzqna.png

Jolteon actually isn't a huge threat to his team, it's a threat, but it's not a auto-win.

Jolteon does 78.7% - 92.7% to Thundurus with HP Ice, which is a KO after Stealth Rock, Thundurus does 82.4% - 97.1% to Jolteon with HP Ground, which is a KO 61.90% of the time, after stealth rock. So in a 1v1, depending on if there is stealth rocks, either could win.

Jolteon does 63.8% - 75.4% to Vaporeon with tbolt, and Vaporeon does 69.9% - 82.7% back with Scald. After taking into account Stealth Rock damage and the potential burn it will KO 17.45% of the time.

I guess the point of that was just to show that, sure Jolteon will do some damage to his team but it is absolutely not a auto-win. Besides, after both of those encounters, if he leaves either in as death fodder, Toxicroak can come in and easily revenge KO with Sucker Punch. If Jolteon decides to switch out for some weird reason, which it probably wouldn't, the Toxicroak can get a free SD or Sub.

Also Weezing is an excellent counter to Terrakion, it is resistant to fighting, neutural to rock, and resistant to bug, and immune to ground, just like Landorus and Gliscor.

Terrakion with Life Orb does 27.7% - 32.7% to Weezing with Close Combat, that is pathetic. Gliscor does have better defence, but Weezing is still a solid counter, and if it works for him then he shouldn't switch.

Is there a typo in the move set of your Thundurus? In the description it says that you use HP Ground, and in the moves section, it says you are using HP Fire. It's probably just a mistake though, using HP Fire on a rain team would be silly anyway.

I am confused about one thing though, why put 252 ev's in HP on Toxicroak instead of Attack? Sure you have less HP but sub takes percents and you would get more HP back with Drain Punch because you would have more Attack, its obviously your decision to make, I'm just a little confused about that.

Jolteon does 78.7% - 92.7% to Thundurus with HP Ice, which is a KO after Stealth Rock, Thundurus does 82.4% - 97.1% to Jolteon with HP Ground, which is a KO 61.90% of the time, after stealth rock. So in a 1v1, depending on if there is stealth rocks, either could win.

Your calcs are off. LO Jolteon's HP Ice is doing 71.57 - 84.28% to TT. CSpecs HP Ice 82.27 - 96.98% to the same. Best case scenario, Thunderus can tank an HP Ice, attack back, and be left with... 2 attacks. Assuming, of course, that Thundy hasn't been hit yet. If Thundy has taken any notable damage, it loses.

Jolteon does 63.8% - 75.4% to Vaporeon with tbolt, and Vaporeon does 69.9% - 82.7% back with Scald. After taking into account Stealth Rock damage and the potential burn it will KO 17.45% of the time.

Assuming, of course, it doesn't Volt Switch, as it should.

I guess the point of that was just to show that, sure Jolteon will do some damage to his team but it is absolutely not a auto-win. Besides, after both of those encounters, if he leaves either in as death fodder, Toxicroak can come in and easily revenge KO with Sucker Punch. If Jolteon decides to switch out for some weird reason, which it probably wouldn't, the Toxicroak can get a free SD or Sub.

Max Attack Jolly LO Sucker Punch deals a max of 71.21% to your average Jolteon. The set being used 43.91 - 51.66%, which leaves Jolteon a decent chance of surviving on a crit. Specs Jolteon does 68.91 - 81.35% to the former. Two layers of Spikes or a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock combined make Toxicroak a target for an OHK0.
All my calcs are assuming Timid nature. Modest is a whole other ballgame.
Your Politoed set is really weird, and in general is a bad idea. Specs Encore has to be the hardest thing ever to use properly, since you can't surprise them with the attack. Toxic is in the same boat. Specs Scald is outclassed by Specs Hydro Pump, easily. Same goes for Ice Beam. You need to decide what's better for your team and pick one, because this hybrid is really awkward.

Like Bestow said, Amoonguss over Weezing. Weezing is really cool and all, but Amoonguss' Grass Typing makes it synergize better with your team, especially the water types.

Vaporeon looks good. A small suggestion would be to swap Haze for Roar, since Haze isn't doing much to provide any pressure. Roar allows you to rack up the SR damage while phazing, and in return you only lose to... Suction Cups and Soundproof. You weren't planning to take down Cradily with Vaporeon anyways, right? Didn't think so.

also...
damien50 said:
Threat List
... Cloyster
Gastrodon
Ferrothorn
Starmie
Keldeo
Blissey
The guy with the Worry Seed Ferrothorn
Volcarona
Trick Room
Jolteon
Thundurus
Staraptor
Landorous/T
Gliscor
Salamence
Honchrow
Terrakion
Riolu
Metagross
Snorlax with Belly Drum
wat

My calcs are based on a modest nature, so maybe that's why LO Jolteon is doing more damage in my calcs.

Ya you have a good point with the Vaporeon though, Jolteon shouldn't stay in against Vaporeon.

I do think that you should switch Weezing for Amoonguss though. It has similar typing and does basically the same thing Weezing does.

@Bubbly
Amoongus is a great idea, I had never thought of.

@Bestow
The HP Ice change and Grass Knot change are good ideas with a switch to Amoongus

EVs: 25 SAtk / 252 HP / 228 Def
Bold Nature / Calm Nature
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore

Is more how I would compose my Amoongus set to better fill the roll that Weezing does, wish Grass and Poison STAB and spore to sleep switch ins.

The Hydro Pump change is good but having Scald, just for the burn suits my team so much better, even though Specs Toed is pure power. You gave some excellent suggestions that I will be putting to good use immediately.

@Jeta
There was a type and I've changed his HP to ice. Jolteon does walk all over this team, especially Specs versions. Without Thundurus, I can potentially lose lol.

@BlackLight
The Encore, was for lack of better move, I honestly just put it there, but I've yet to have it serve a purpose. I solely have Scald for the burn which has caused KO's and weakened VoltTurn switch ins. Toxic fits, because it's a surprise of sorts when they expect a Scald, so they switch to a water pokemon like Vaporeon, who without Hydration, get's poisoned.

The one thing I don't think those who suggested getting rid of Haze see, is that when a wall presents itself, only three options are present
1) Switch out
2) Boost for an OHKO
3) Attempt a status move

With haze on Vaporeon, boost are a waste of a turn, a switch out means I get a free Scald or Wish or even Rest, and with Hydration, status is no problem. Getting rid of haze to some extent would break my set and my team.

I thank everyone for the RMT's they gave me quite a lot of insight into flaws in this team that I never noticed.

****EDIT
Check the edit section to see why Amoongus was dropped in favor of Weezing

Thread has been updated.
-Updated Pokemon
-Updated EVs
-Updated Threats
-Updated Descriptions

I want to once again thank all the previous posters for their suggestions which were greatly considered and welcome anyone to offer more suggestions to better Steamy. ~Not Trying To Bump This Thread~, wanting more feedback and opinions of possible threats and so on. Thank you for reading ~Steamy - A Pansear!! Production.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)