Gen 3 Steel you goodies. Thief team 1500+ elo

The inspiration for this team came from gsc where thief is a solid option due to the big value of leftovers. I wanted to try this in my favorite gen adv where leftovers are big as well. For example, defensive mons like swampert, blissey, suicune and milotic are way easier to break without their leftovers. While building I decided to go with a fat team because I found it easier to fit a thief user on it. The idea of the team is to steal the leftovers of the opponents swampert or other fat backbone and then whittle everything down with your own fatties. Without further ado:

The team:

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Counter
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Explosion

The lead of the team is regirock. I wanted a lead that (usually) beats the common leads in ADV (zapdos,ttar,metagross and salamence). Max hp allows it to live banded mash from gross and (besides crits) prevents a 2kho from timid (and most of the times modest)zapdos and hp grass +special attack mence. (note: you do not okho zapdos and mence with rock slide). it has counter to kill physical mons that 2hko you and you cannot ohko back. Explosion does boom. Regirock is also a nice lead because t invites in opposing skarmory which is a nice opportunity to bring in the the star of this team: arcanine.

Arcanine
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Thief
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Dog i not used much in ADV for a good reason: it is not very good. However, this mon is suited as thief user for 2 reasons:
1. it has thief
2. it invites the fat mons in that you want to undo of their leftovers such as swampert, milotic, blissey and ttar.
The idea is that you bring in this mon on something it forces out like skarmory and than click thief when they switch out to their fat mon. It is +special attack to do maximal damage but +speed does also work because it allows you to outspeed non timid zapdos and other non +speed nature mons with 100 base speed. Flamethrower is its stab which can become threatening once the opposing team is weakened. I use HP grass but HP ice work as well especially if you run + speed you might wanna change it to hp ice for mence. Next, I wanted a defensive backbone for the strong physical attackers in the tier:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Dog number two. There is not much to say about it, is a standard defensive calm mind suicune with ice beam coverage. It gives you a check to threats like mence, metagross, aerodactyl and ttar. It can also beat stoss blissey if it comes to a 1v1. I usually do not use it as the first switch in during the early game because you want to keep it healthy for late game physical sweepers. The next mon finishes the fire/water/grass core

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This is the actual MVP of the team because this little shit simply does not die. It checks common mons like zapdos (although sub is annoying), gengar (ice punch does not 2hko), metagross, snorlax and non sub jirachi. You basically just sit there and click leech seed and baton pass to you other fat mons while you opponents team gets whittled down. I am not sure about this set, you might wanna remove baton pass for coverage. Next, i added a spinner because when you run a fat team you don't want your defensive backbones taking damage when you switch aroun between them.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 32 SpA / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Ice Beam

Claydol provides a lot of utility for this team. It is an electric and ground immunity, a rock resist and most importantly a spinner. It gives you also a check to dd tar. The set is pretty standard but I went with ice beam over psychic because i wanted to hit flying types harder, especially mence. However, you can definitly use psychic over ice beam. This would also hit gengar harder when it tries to spin block. However the last member of this team also helps with gengar:

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Pursuit
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Explosion

The last member of the team is special metagross. I wanted a mon that could pursuit trap gengar to prevent it from spinblocking. I choose gross over ttar because i already have a rock type in regirock on this team and I like the surpise factor of special metagross (and metagross looks a bit like a special fella). Metagross also provides an extra nuke in explosion. It is max hp to sponge as many hits as possible. HP fire helps with skarmory and forretress and stab psychic is pretty spamable.

Thread list:
-Moltres: moltres is an absolutely bitch for this team, you have to play pretty aggresive to not give it free switch ins but a well played moltres brings Ls.
-Sub zapdos is also very annoying because if it gets a sub for free it basically can only be broken by mons that take a lot of damage from it (rock slide regi, psychic gross, ice beam claydol and flame arc)
-Heracross The only bug resist is arcanine which can only siwtch in 1 or two times. So yeah that sucks

Some replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-1262047799-f9kit1csqz85dszwjaelqkuj0im458rpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-1274422179-uq0q5veqhuqgzpu4iweeucgtemmiw5dpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-1279667325-h86o0rkyfvisvhobgekp2q0rhrt0peqpw

Import:don't know how to use a hide tag
Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Counter
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Explosion

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Arcanine
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Thief
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 32 SpA / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Ice Beam

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Pursuit
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Explosion

watermess

What? Never seen an idiot before?
is a Tutoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hmm cool team man, quite unconventional approach, regirock is a cool mon a few people experemented with it in tour play in the past as a bulky threat on offenses, it's really nice how it checks so many physical threats just by virtue of its bulk!

Something I would consider trying maybe on this team is curse, possibly over counter or maybe even over EQ if you are feeling ballsy, +1 atks hit skarm super duper hard and + 1 explosion is extremely strong.

Another thing I might try here sometimes when a team is super weak to heracross you can use a really fast claydol to give you a way of beating it.
Jolly 252 claydol is faster than adamant heracross which will allow you to boom on it and remove it before it can do any real damage!

Maybe give those things a try and see if it makes any difference! Great to see some interesting new teams from newer users, Have fun and happy laddering!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)