SM OU Sticky Web Hyper Offense

I'm back to playing pokemon after maybe more than a year. Looking for help with team building so I can get higher up in the showdown ranks.

Team buildingprocess goes:

Araquanid @ Focus Sash
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpA
Brave Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Magic Coat
- Hidden Power Fire

This is the first and most obvious mon in the team. It's almost always used as lead but it struggles against Mega Scizor, Fini and Taunt users.
Sableye-Mega and Diancie-Mega, while being probematic, are not a dead end. Araquanid OHKOs Diancie and 2HKOs Sableye. Diancie, though, can bring Araquanid down to it's focus sash, stopping sticky web from going up as a faster revenge killer comes in.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Mega pinsir comes up next as the classic mon who apreciates sticky web. When only Pinsir and Araquanid are conserned, Koko is a big threat who can taunt araquanid and OHKO mega Pinsir while resisting both it's stabs.

With webs up, the notable OU mons who pose a big threat against M-Pinsir are:
Celesteela
Ferrothorn
Landorus

Mew
Mimiyku can setup to +2 and then Shadow Claw.
Mega Scizor
Mega Sableye
Rotom-W
Skarmory

Tapu Fini
Zapdos

Faster mons who achieve over 506 speed and can live a quick attack. Good examples are:
Scarf Kartana
M-Swampert in the rain
Kingdra in the rain
Scarf Greninja
Scarf Koko

etc
(in bold are mons who beat Pinsir even at +2)

Seeing this list, my team needs different attackers who can break the walls and offensive mons above.
Kyurem-B seemed to me like the best choice, as far as practicality goes, and I chose life orb over Icium-Z because, with Life Orb, it is able to break multiple walls instead of a single one.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost
252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Skarmory: 239-282 (71.7 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 842-998 (220.4 - 261.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela: 234-276 (58.7 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 229-270 (75.5 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 250-296 (71 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 398-468 (103.9 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The subzero slammer variant would've been able to beat Mimiyku, while the life orb set I chose loses to it, not being able to OHKO. Kyurem-b also loses to Scarf Kartana, rain and Greninja with Scarf, who could potentially get a rock slide flinch. Chansey also walls it but can't wall Pinsir. The problem is, though, that switching around betweeen Pinsir-m and Kyurem-b can result in a lot of chip damage with Seismic Toss, Toxic, etc.

So now this is the team, and I'm noticing I need a mon who stops stall teams from wearing my attackers down with chip damage. Volt Turn, taunt and entry hazards of my own come into mind. I also need mons who can deal better with Choice Scarf users. While Kyurem is a check for Mega Scizor, it can't beat Mega Scizor at +2, making my team very weak to Mega Scizor.

Jirachi and Landorus come to mind
Jirachi can help my team with U-turn, Stealth Rocks and Healing Wish, while also making my team lose offensive presence.
Landorus gets U-turn, stealth rocks and more offensive presence than Jirachi.
Both Landorus and Jirachi have stealth rock and deal with lead Diancie better than Araquanid.
Landorus is better at dealing with Scarf Kartana, while Jirachi would have to exchange Healing Wish for Fire Punch.
Landorus can use HP fire instead of Ice, dealing with Mega Scizor. My team would get weaker to oposing Landorus and Zygarde. Jirachi, however, was not an answer to either Lando or Zygarde.
So, as much as I HATE Landorus and LOVE Jirachi, OU is just not the tier for my lil buddy. Landorus it is.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire
- U-turn

Now this is the team.
Zygarde at +1 can speed tie with Kyurem. None of my mons really let Zygarde setup, though, except for Landorus.
Rock polish lando could be troublesome
Scarf Greninja can still cause unnecessary troubles.
Rain is still a problem
Defog and rapid spin go unpunished, while Araquanid can only setup webs once, in most cases.

My last two mons are necessarily a ghost type spin blocker and one with the defiant/competitive ability to punish defog. Also, I have yet to have used a Z-Move.

Looking at these circumstances, I found that, without changing my team, Mimiyku is a must keep. It helps me beat rain by having disguise + priority while also helping me block the rare rapid spins.

Mimikyu @ Life Orb Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw/

and

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

This team is very weak, currently, against:
Opposing Bisharp;
Trick Room;
Unexpected Defog users;
Certain Rain teams;

I'd like critique and help to make the team better! Sorry for any grammatical or english problems!

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Mimikyu @ Life Orb Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire
- U-turn

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

Araquanid @ Focus Sash
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpA
Brave Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Magic Coat
- Hidden Power Fire

The first thing I would recommend is dropping Mimikyu, it's honestly really bad at the moment with a lot of Steel types, opposing priority and Bulky Offensive teams being quite common, its just too weak even after Swords Dance to really hurt anything and really susecptible to status.

If you're adamant on having a spin blocker, the only really viable Ghost type right now is Blacephalon, it's also reasonably quick and can punch a lot of holes, with Webs base 107 Speed is really nice. You also already have priority with Bisharp and Pinsir.

I think I'd recommend replacing Mimikyu with Koko however, Specs with Grass Knot instead of HP [Ice] will really help with rain. Youre outspeeding Swampert (in Webs and rain) and OHKO'ing with Grass Knot, you're also boosting Fusion Bolt on KyuremB and you have a strong and fast Volt Switch out to the breaker. Koko can also help with SD Kartana which could potentially break through Lando-T with boosts and Darkium/Grassium Z. Koko can also help against common Defoggers like Mantine, Pelipper, Kartana (non-scarf), Gliscor (with HP [Ice]) and Zapdos.

Trick Room is always going to counter HO teams really.

This is my first RMT contribution! If there's anything you feel like you correct me on I'm open to criticism! Hope my opinion helps!

Mimikyu is walled by tons of stuff, but it benefits from Speed drop from Sticky Web (which helps A LOT when cleaning against offensive teams) and it also works as an answer to Hawlucha and this is very important seeing how prevalent is koko + hawlucha. Standard Hawlucha sets up on this man's HP Ice Landorus-T so Mimikyu is always a nice backup. It also blocks Rapid Spin as bonus. As you said there are many drawbacks using that thing but at the same time I believe it should fit in his team unless there is a systemic issue from the team that I have not observed and would require a whole breakdown of the team to fix. Good stuff.

Mimikyu is walled by tons of stuff, but it benefits from Speed drop from Sticky Web (which helps A LOT when cleaning against offensive teams) and it also works as an answer to Hawlucha and this is very important seeing how prevalent is koko + hawlucha. Standard Hawlucha sets up on this man's HP Ice Landorus-T so Mimikyu is always a nice backup. It also blocks Rapid Spin as bonus. As you said there are many drawbacks using that thing but at the same time I believe it should fit in his team unless there is a systemic issue from the team that I have not observed and would require a whole breakdown of the team to fix. Good stuff.
Of course it's somewhat subjective, but I'd say Blacephalon outclasses Mimikyu for the role it serves on this team. Other than in the matchup with KokoLucha of course which I think you're absolutely right about. Mimikyu's ability obviously being the operative factor there. I was thinking Sash Blacephalon could be a substitute for this, but being broken by Weather, Hazards and Status invalidates that in comparison to disguise.

With this brought up I was possibly thinking Bold Clefable could replace Landorus T, it can function as a Wish Passer, Rocker, carry Flamethrower for Kartana, Zor, etc. and serve as a nice check to Hawlucha, being able to survive even a +2 Acrobatics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)