Shuckle@Lum Berry/Mental Herb
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
-Sticky Web
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Bug Bite

Loses against surprise Magic Coat users, physically defensive Magic Bouncers and depending on your item of choice against either Taunt or Spore. It's still pretty reliable, though.
I'd like to point out how sticky web and stealth rock both have more pp than magic coat. So you can just keep pressing sr/sb to victory against magic coat.

Also, just for fun on a suicide lead Shuckle set:
0+ Atk Shuckle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xatu: 308-366 (92.21 - 109.58%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
0+ Atk Shuckle Bug Bite vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 210-248 (77.2 - 91.17%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Uh these calcs are amazingly wrong
Using the smogon damage calculator, 0 atk shuckle does a maximum of 80 damage to 0 def Xatu. That's like 25%. Even 252 atk Adamant Shuckle doesn't guarantee a 2HKO.
I got similar results by calculating manually.
I don't know what you did wrong. But there is no way something with 56 attack is doing any threatening damage to anything else anytime soon.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Encore and Final Gambit would be the best moves for Shuckle to use in the last two slots. Encore foils setup and Sub users and Final Gambit allows you to protect your hazards against spinners if you can activate Custap Berry. Also, Shuckle has the option to use Mental Herb to deal with Taunt leads such as Skarmory. Set up a hazard as he Taunts first turn, and the second turn either setup the other hazard if you think it won't go for the Taunt again, or just use Final Gambit if you think he will Taunt for a second time, leaving him with Sturdy broken and no hazards at all.

Imagine this move in combination with Gravity. Now watch pokemon like Tyranitar with Stone Edge, Thundurus-T with Thunder, Kyurem with Blizzard, Heatran with Fire Blast or Keldeo with Hydro Pump. *shudders*

I think you guys are neglecting to mention that Shuckle is also a terrifying Contrary user. It reaches a terrifying 69 Speed uninvested after switching into Sticky Web. This allows it to be outsped be the entire unboosted metagame with ease.

Seriously though, the move looks like it will turn the metagame on its head (which somewhat fittingly improves Malamar's viability). Any non-grounded or clear body/contrary offensive Pokemon is at a huge advantage compared to their grounded counterparts. However, the fact that it can still be spun away like any other hazard is pretty big.

It's worth remembering that the Flying Pokemon that bypass Sticky Web, like with Spikes and Toxic Spikes, tend to be more vulnerable to Stealth Rock, which has always been a really big deal. Pokemon that don't have Levitate tend to end up vulnerable to entry hazards in some form, unless they've got pretty specific typing like Gliscor or Skarmory.

Since this technically does damage, Taunt shouldn't work on it and neither would magic bounce/mirror. There is nothing that can be done to prevent it from being used, you can only spin it out.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Since this technically does damage, Taunt shouldn't work on it and neither would magic bounce/mirror. There is nothing that can be done to prevent it from being used, you can only spin it out.
I don't understand how lowering Speed does damage?

Does it deal damage and cast the webs as a secondary effect?

Because that would be the only plausible reason taunt doesn't work on it. Stealth rock does [residual] damage, but taunt works on it.

Edit: Answered below, I see now.

Edit2: Maybe not the case

Last edited:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
It doesn't. The move itself does damage, bypassing Taunt. It's very similar to Rapid Spin in this regard.
I haven't heard this about Sticky Web. So it does damage AND lowers speed? Like a Spikes-esque type of damage where you get hurt when you switch in? Because Taunt would work on it in that case, it would only not work if it was a move like Rapid Spin where the secondary affect would be laying the hazard down.

I haven't heard this about Sticky Web. So it does damage AND lowers speed? Like a Spikes-esque type of damage where you get hurt when you switch in? Because Taunt would work on it in that case, it would only not work if it was a move like Rapid Spin where the secondary affect would be laying the hazard down.
Sticky Web itself seems to be a 20 BP Bug-type attack. The speed-lowering hazard is a secondary effect, so Taunt may not stop it from being laid down. Can someone test this?

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sticky web doesn't do damage though. 20 is referring to its pp...... Which is actually convenient since it ensures that magic coat doesn't stop it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)