Storm Troopers (Peak #1 at 1580, #2, and #3)

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
When I was using this team, just prior to the Garchomp ban, I was able to secure the top 3 positions on the Dreamworld leaderboard with a peak of 1580 under the names Jargonite, Jargonites, and is you rollin? This team is the reason Drizzle teams now run ThundeRachi.

The Storm Troopers

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, - Att)​

~Scald
~Ice Beam
~Protect
~Hypnosis​

Politoed is obviously my weather inducer. Not only is it important in keeping rain up for me, but more omportantly, keeping away opposing weather. Physically defensive Toed is awesome. You'd be surprised how much more useful it is than the specially defensive variant. The 30% burn rate on Scald is nice, especially coupled with that physical bulk. Ice Beam for coverage, especially on Garchomp. Ice Beam didn't KO, but neither does +2 Outrage from Chomp. Yeah, this is that bulky. Protect is great for extra recovery, but equally nice for scouting attacks. Hypnosis... Often times Hypnosis would lose me the game from missing, but it more than made up for it for the stuff I could put to sleep.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Att)​

~Thunder Wave
~Rain Dance
~Thunder
~Hidden Power Water​

If Politoed goes down and my opponent still has their weather inducer, Thundurus is my back up. Thunder from this guy hurts extremely bad, and gives even specially defensive Jirachi trouble. The rest of the set it very different than would be expected on a Thundurus, but it all works in to my team's needs. First off, Thundurus doesn't enter the field until late game when most things are weakened or when my opponent has broken down to their late game Pokemon. Thunderwave handles these Pokemon excellently, cripping opposing Latios and Genesect so that they can be eaily taken care of my another of my Pokemon. Rain Dance is is a back up option when Toed is unavailable or when I predict a Ninetales or Tyranitar switch in. Ha! They switch in and Rain Dance kicks in immediately. Hidden Power Water puts a dent in both of them, especially in the rain. HP Water also KOs notable Pokemon such as Chandelure, Gliscor, and Ecxadrill.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)​

~Wish
~Protect
~Thunder
~Iron Head​

This set is simply amazing. About the only Pokemon that this won't threaten are Excadrill and Gliscor. Everyone knows about Body Slam and Iron Head, but Thunder? With the rain if effect, Thunder hits 100% of the time and causes hefty damage to the likes of Skarmory and opposing Water types. Then there's the paralysis.. It's not uncommon for Jirachi to cripple three or for of my opponents Pokemon and knock a few of them out with Iron Head Flinching. This is also great for Chandelures. I won't be switching in on them anytime soo, but they still come after this, even in the rain. They cannot 2HKO and they are bound to get paralyzed and Jirachi surviving unscathed from Wish and Protect.

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+ Spe, -Att)​

~Draco Meteor
~Surf
~Psyshock
~Thunder​

One of the best things about Dream World: Soul Dew. +1 to Special Attack and Special Defense is great. I laugh when I notice people locked into a single move because they're using Choice Specs; not everyone seems to know about Soul Dew's legality. When people "WTF what item is that", I simply tell them it's Modest Wise Glasses :P. Draco Meteor destroys anything not named specially defensove Jirachi. Surf coming from +1 Special Attack with another boost from the rain provides my most common attack. It nearly KOs stuff like Scizor, and oftern does KO Pokemon that have no defensive investment, even when not super effective. Thunder is so that I don't have to waste Draco Meteor's on Jellicent and the likes, as well as because 30% paralysis being very nice. Psyshock is for secondary STAB, my answer and KO to Robushin. It is also a clean 2HKO on Blissey.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Att / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Att, - SpA)​

~Dragon Dance
~Waterfall
~Ice Punch
~Superpower​

Like what it gets it's name from, Feraligatr has alot of power. After a single Dragon Dance in the rain Waterfall is coming from an Attack stat over 1000. This is including the +1 from Dragon Dance, +1 from the rain, +1 from STAB, a 30% boost from Life Orb, and a 33% boost from Sheer Force. Feraligatr ain't nothin' to fuck with. Nothing unresisted lives through a waterfall and resists don't do much better, especially if they switch in. After the speed boost, Latios and Latias are easily taken care of with Ice Punch. Superpower is the biggest joke of all. As the only unboosted move, it KOs Ferrothorn after a Dragon Dance. Afterwards, with the Attack drop from Superpower, you don't even recognize the power decrease because everything else is still dying from 1 hit.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 6 Att / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)​

~U-turn
~Flamethrower
~Ice Beam
~Thunder​

I saved this guy for last, but he's definitely a star. In OU, the most important thing is not to let your weather die. In Dreamworld, that stands true, but rule #2 is not to let your Genesect die. Often times in a game, the outcome is decided upon early by the death of a Genesect. U-Turn is great for scouting. Awesomely, the things Genesect needs to hit hard with U-turn, give him the Attack boost. Genesect is the most reliable way to KO both of the Lati twins late game. Ice Beam hits other Dragons, as well as Gliscor and such. Thunder is the next most trolly move after U-turn. As it's hardest hitting move, and with a Special Attack boost from Adaptibility, it makes for it's second most used move after U-turn. I had been using Bug Buzz over Flamethrower since it's effectiveness is halved suring the rain, but then I decided it's still 2x supereffctive on Ferrothorn and Scizor, rain or no. Also, if the opponent has their weather up at any time, that leaves Flamethrower to abuse against them.​

Threats:
Ferrothorn: sometimes something has to get Paralyzed for Feraligatr so come in and take care of, but most of the time Ferrothorn will switch into Gatr not expecting Superpower.

Gastrodon: not necesarrily by itself, but there's a player on the server that can beat me every single time with his Yawning Gastrodon in Sandstorm. The combination of his team just makes it easy to avoid my attacks because I don't use entry hazards and he can switch all day.

Zapdos and Raikou: With Lightning Rod, both are able to come in on most of my attacks and either CM with Raikou or Sub with both. Often times it takes a sacrifice before Genesect or Latios can come in and take them out.

Top Players:
lostaurora: hasn't given me trouble with this team. Besides, we're storming the ladder together with a team of our own :P
blah23: you get me probably half the time when I use this team. For a time, I truly considered you my nemesis lol. But you are indeed a respecyable player.
Ameen1234: I say I hate you every match. I just hate that for once I can't beat someone. You give me more trouble than blah when I'm using this team, because you can always beat it. Good thing I've moved on to the next one and fate has reversed.
MCrames: you may not be in the top 10, but I'll let you know you're a tough fight. It could go either way with you, just depending on which one of us is overpredicting in the match.

A couple things to note:

~There seems to be alot of contempt for the Dream World tier on the Smogon Server. It tends to be treated as joke, as if it lacks legitimacy. I'd like to point out that Dream World OU is no less legitimate than OU. I'm pretty much over people putting down Dream World and the people that play there. People say it's not competitive enough. I can tell you, when you're facing the people I've mentioned above, try not calling it competitive. Perhaps if more people gave it a chance and played it, you would discover that it really is competitive, and is certainly alot more stable than OU is right now.

~I'm seeing alot of RMTs claiming #1 in DW, people that definitely aren't there and weren't there recently. Unless you're talking about months back ago, I'm on to you, and if you are, at least mention it in your RMT...

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Feraligatr can't get dd + sheer force but since dw doesn't give a shit about egg move illegalities whatever. This is why I personally think the tier lacks legitimacy though.

Same for soul dew latios -_-

So that this post isn't me bitching about dream world, cool team, but it seems really pretty weak to raikou, subcm specifically. he sets up a sub on rachi and can then cm up, and then something dies, especially if they don't play like a retard against genesect. similarily, magnezone also destroys jirachi, which opens you up to scary shit like latios. i don't want to change the team a whole lot, but both of these issues can be solved by switching to a jirachi set of Wish/Body Slam/Iron Head/U-Turn. From experience para + iron head is reliable enough to allow wish to heal, body slam gives you an attack that can paralyze excadrill who you said was an issue (which it is). U-Turn handles any skarmory, chandelure, jellicent, or other guys that show up and is a great momentum move in general.

Congrats on your achievement, 123 on any ladder is very impressive.

This was (and I'm sure probably still would be) incredible in DW.

No matter how hard I tried, I had no chance against is you rollin? :P

Shouldn't Genesect's ability be Download?

Anyway it's a really nice team. I would consider having both Body Slam and Thunder over Protect. It would help Jirachi's job of spreading para since you can hit Ghosts and Grounds and people would usually assume one or the other and send in the approrpiate counter only to get nailed again. But Protect is a nice stally move and guarantees recovery which is important.

Also LOL at Soul Dew on Latios, that is legit trolling right there.

Protect is pretty much necessary for Jirachi to serve as an excellent Lati@s check, because it gets 3HKOed by any combination of boosted Thunder/Surf and Protect prevents it from being 2HKOed when it's not at full health.

If anything, SR might be a nice alternative over Protect.

I wonder if as many people will copy this team as they copied the one Dezza posted. It's not nearly as effective when people know what you're using, you know.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
You're very right Nails. Raikou gave me hell; I forgot to add it to the threats list. I would usually have to U-turn on it or have Gatr DD'd to kill it.

@lostaurora: I had a sun team posted in RMT that reached #3 and ran into people using it. I was flattered, but I knew the team inside and out so it was funny playing them. Our team really is awesome, too. I got to 1550 with it, but I wait so long for matches that I leave the screen and get matches and don't even know about them till I see my rating has dropped.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
On another team it would be good, but as it is, Thunder is preferable and Jirachi can beat Magnezone with Thunder, believe it or not.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Finally, someone who lays down the Dream World metagame like it is: fun and competitive regardless of the fact that it's not real. Although, I think the fact that it is stable, is because all the top of the ladder is is rain, rain, more rain, and that Deep Freeze hail team. Not very diverse, but it happens.

Can't really say much about the team, since you can't really change much to make it any better. I can't say I like that Thundurus set, though. Walled in it's complete entirety by Ferrothorn, who also walls a huge amount of your team once Feraligatr is down. Changing HP Water to Focus Blast seems like a good idea, since the three Pokemon you mentioned (Gliscor, Chandelure, Excadrill), are easily handled by other members of your team. Ferrothorn is also more common than all of them (including Chandelure), and it's what everyone runs to help against rain. If you haven't had any Ferrothorn problems, though, than keep it, since the psuedo-STAB makes it a pretty viable option.

I faintly remember playing against you with this team. Now that I know who Jargonite was, I would like to congratulate you on taking spots 1, 2, and 3, and hope that I helped you a little bit.

This exact team with minnor diffrences has now really become very common in DW. I used it too for awhile so I can give you a few suggestions on what pokemon are most annonying for that team and about some other deadly sets you could try out if you want.

First the threats. Looking at your team you seem to have big issues with Ferrothorn which can safely switch into 5 of your guys and even Feraligator must dance up if he wants to take it out in one hit. And now imagine that same Ferrothorn carrying thunder wave (very popular choice) which can hit and severly criple 6/6 of your pokemon (Politoed is like the best thing to take it). That brings me to the next big weakness about this team which is status in general. This team relies heavily on speed and you pretty much get one shot only. It's impossible to safe one of your sweepers after it gets paralyzed. I also had a lot of problems with specially defensive Jirachi because again nothing can switch in body slam. Another threats are boosting waters like Feraligator or Abagoura (with priority). Latly you also lack a solid fighting resist so that could prove annoying.

I would run more SpD on Politoed he is definitely a better Special Wall than a Mixed One. I highly recommend Perish Song, it's just too good to pass up.

I personnaly ran LO Keldeo to help with Ferrothorn (that doesn't mean I wasnt still weak to it) and i would recommend you as well to use something more reliable to deal with it.

On Thundurus you could test subNP with Thunder and definitely use HP Ice over Water. However to make use of DW your hold item isn't going to be lefties, you can actually abuse pinch berries so Salac comes into play. Prankster + Sub is redicously good and works even fantasticly with perish song on Politoed. Sing your song and die, bring in thundurus and just sub up with priority until they are forced to either switch out and give you a free sub or die themselves. this combination on its own has won me many games.

Lastly comes the Soul Dew Latios which is just redicoulus. I don't think you are using it to its fullest potential. The deadliest set I tried was for sure CM+Recover with Dragon Pulse and coverage move (I used HP Fighting). I tended to get paralyzed to often (usually my fault) and I was STILL able to do a ton of damage. If you manage to set up just ONE CM (you are carrying one for free all the time) you are good to go. I mean you have 800+ SpA and 500+ SpD so you can sweep and tank special hits like a Blissey at the same time. From my experience you can actually OHKO Tyranitar at +1 IN THE SAND with HP Fighting. Dragon + Fighting is good coverage in general but you can run Surf if you want.

Overall this is a very good team and fun to use but has unfortunately become way too common and predictable.

Raj, I think I've played you...maybe.

1. Amazing job on the rating, about 100 more than I've peaked at :(
2. go go for using Genesect.
3. THis is just me, but I think Taunt on Thundurus somewhere would be really good for breaking some kind of stall..
4. As mentioned above, CM+Recover Latios w/ Soul Dew is probably better.
5. I like Encore on Toed a lot, esp. if you are running defensive one. I also like Sp.D Toed but that's me.

Amazing job, man!

Hi

Little nitpick, you might want to try Stealth Rock over Protect on Jirachi.
Your team will appreciate the small bit of residual damage and if you need Wish recovery, you'll always have that 60% flinch rate + paralysis.

Hey

Somehow I missed seeing this rmt before, but my showdowns with you were pretty epic, it's cool you shouted me out in it. This team was one of the first iterations of the now ubiquitous jira/gene/lat core I remember seeing. Get on the ladder :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)