Gen 5 Storms on Steroids (Kyurem Black + Tornadus)

:Tornadus: Storms on Steroids :Kyurem Black:
:bw/politoed: :bw/tornadus: :bw/Kyurem Black: :bw/ferrothorn: :bw/tentacruel: :bw/landorus-Therian:
Hello! I am an aspiring BWer that had an epiphany over the last month. Although I don't have anything to my name on ladder (yet), I have made several team ideas that have seen fairly good success on ladder, but this one was an idea culminating for close to a month of work.

Now when I first thought about this, I knew that it should be rain, as spin with tentacruel and shelter from draco meteors by ferrothorn all support both Kyurem Black and Tornadus, and rain in general helps Tornadus. I did some digging and found that this has idea has been talked about for a bit. Tailwind support gives Kyurem Black the speed boost needed to blow things apart, and 100% accurate hurricanes with rain also gives torn a way to come in and blow Breloom and others to shreds. Breloom in particular poses a problem with a choice band set, as nothing other than torn (still a bit shaky because of mediocre bulk and the ever-present stealth rock) wants to take mulitple 5 hit bullet seeds or low sweeps/mach punches from it.

Now my first idea for a team looked like this
121.png
186.png
641.png
646-black.png

Now celebi as a rocker and starmie as a spinner made this a bit flawed, but this was just a proof of concept, that I had more tinkering to do.
121.png
186.png
641.png
646-black.png

Specs starmie and Scarf politoed offered a bit more speed control, but this wasn't exactly what I was looking for, because this team didn't feel like it had tools for everything, so i worked on this for a couple more days.​

The Team
:BW/politoed: Politoed :bw/politoed:
Snap Pop Crackle (Politoed) @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Encore​
Politoed being here means that we are looking at a rain team, and these moves allows us to support our next team members. Toxic is for overall status spreading, because a lot of team members enjoy the utility that toxic provides in wearing down opponents. encore makes the team capable of somewhat dealing with things like dragon dance Dragonite and encore locks hyper offense leads and makes the fast-paced games a little more bearable. I chose to give up refresh here because the utility these other moves provide help support everything else more than Politoed can with refresh, and I can always pivot around most toxic or burn users.

186.png

:bw/tornadus: Tornadus :bw/tornadus:
MatPat (Tornadus) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Tailwind
- U-turn​
Now we get to the 1st star of the show, and much like MatPat, I theorize that 100% accurate hurricanes and tailwind support fit in perfectly with Politoed. Now hurricane and focus blast are self-explanatory, as they provide coverage and can rip things to shreds, but tailwind provides the speed control for Kyurem to spam outrage and delete things. U turn allows me to pivot out of things like air balloon rapid spin Starmie and Rotom-Wash or paralysis spreaders like Jirachi without risking my opponent resetting the weather or double switching into an advantageous match-up. The Ev spread is simple, but works out in practice, and leftovers gives me the longevity i need against sand.
186.png
641.png

:bw/Kyurem Black: Kyurem Black :Bw/Kyurem Black:
Steroid Champ (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam​
Now, we get to the second star, the heavy hitter Kyurem Black, and our previous team members are set up so he can run rampage with his outrage spam. The moveset is a standard choice band set, with outrage and dragon claw for hard hitting dragon stab, and fusion bolt to make skarmory think twice about staying in, which gives us crucial early game hazard control against Hyper offense teams with sturdy custap skarmory as their lead. Kyurem Black also (somewhat) solves the gaping hole left by Thundurus Therian, as it can take a hit from it and strike back with dragon claw.
186.png
641.png
646-black.png

:bw/ferrothorn: Ferrothorn :bw/ferrothorn:
Basement Dweller (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock​
Ferrothorn is a staple on rain and provides spikes and rocks and a crucial steel type that shields the rest of the team from resident draco meteor user Latios and outrages from Garchomp, Salamence, and Kyurem Black. knock off is for overall utility and it helps remove lefties from key targets, letting them get worn down even more in tandem with hazards chip, and power whip allows Rotom-Wash and Starmie to be threatened if they switch into it.
186.png
641.png
646-black.png

:bw/tentacruel: Tentacruel :bw/tentacruel:
Splatoon (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Protect​
Tentacruel gives us rapid spin, which helps Tornadus and Kyurem Black do their thing, and helps Politoed repeatedly switch into Tyranitar and bring sand. The ev spread used here is standard, and the speed investment outruns lando, and prevents it from getting rocks up. The scald + toxic combo works even better on Tentacruel, which cannot get poisoned and has rain dish to take advantage of protect healing more health. the poison type gives us a toxic switch in to the afformentioned politoed toxic problem.

186.png
641.png
646-black.png

:bw/Landorus-Therian: Landorus-Therian :Bw/landorus-therian:
Little Z (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 140 Atk / 60 Def / 236 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge​
Having a ground type is a benefit on rain teams as most are excellent at providing ground coverage and electric immunities, and Little Z is as capable of filling that role as any other, with intimidate as a protection against physical attackers and set up sweepers. but instead of a rocker, I decided to use it as a scarfer. Speed control is almost mandatory on offensive rain teams, where at least 1 scarfer is optimal to outrun the fast threats on teams that can blow holes in my other members. Earthquake, hidden power ice, and stone edge let me hit the right targets, and u-turn provides the luxury of prediction, and is easy to click into targets that are expected to switch out of Landorus.

186.png
641.png
646-black.png

Jirachi is an option to consider on this particular team as it sets stealth rock so I can use leech seed or gyro ball on my Ferrothorn, and it gives me a better defensive backbone against Rotom-Wash and Thundurus-Therian, but thunder still does a lot of damage, and body slam only has a 60% chance to paralyze, while stone edge from Lando has an 80% chance to hit, and provides a scarfer.

Mamoswine gives me the luxury of priority against Thundurus-Therian and a breloom answer, although it can't switch into it, and choice banded or never melt ice boosted ice or ground type moves can pack a punch sometimes. but you get even less of a defensive backbone, as smart switching and prediction can put the team in a really tough spot.

Mr. Chomp is actually pretty good here, as I can use it as either a scarfer or a stealth rock lead with swords dance and yache or focus sash to put pressure at the start of the game, and Tornadus tailwind support lets Garchomp outspeed Latios and hit it with outrage. I could also go in a mixed direction with draco meteor, earthquake and surf to be a semi Latios with more resistances and stealth rock.
Other options on ferro
My good friend Triple Axel Blaze told me about using chople berry on ferro or custap explosion, and while the ladder offers a momentum saver and the former keeps me save against Thundurus Therian or Alakazam so i can either set rocks or break zam's sash. I could also use gyro/leech seed over knock off here, recommended by Peng (I linked the replay in the replay section), and that helps out against sub Kyurem Black, Dragonite, and other set up sweepers that can steamroll teams if given too many free turns. I could also use Thunder Wave here.​

Last edited:

dawn to the dusk

during the tough day
is a Contributor to Smogon
hi friends ur team is kinda good for a new bwer but here is a suggestion that ur team will be struggled to against sub thunderous and the skarym jelli combo, especially when tenta was burned and be locked by jelli,so u can try the sub kyurem with earthpower and change ferrth to jirachi,it can use wish and body slam as a healing mesaure for kyurem do not have roost and speed control,this will some times hard to face cm latios but u got spd jirachi so that is still ok,hope can be helpful to u.
https://pokepast.es/4121ce9370a9d875

Last let me share another good core is Garchomp and Tornadous,this is an attack core that press sand or rain a lot.

hi friends ur team is kinda good for a new bwer but here is a suggestion that ur team will be struggled to against sub thunderous and the skarym jelli combo, especially when tenta was burned and be locked by jelli,so u can try the sub kyurem with earthpower and change ferrth to jirachi,it can use wish and body slam as a healing mesaure for kyurem do not have roost and speed control,this will some times hard to face cm latios but u got spd jirachi so that is still ok,hope can be helpful to u.
https://pokepast.es/4121ce9370a9d875

Last let me share another good core is Garchomp and Tornadous, this is an attack core that press sand or rain a lot.
Thank you for the advice, wouldn't you want stealth rock on jirachi? pivoting out of loom or Rotom with lando can give me an advantage, and protect/Iron head might not be the easiest thing to remove, but having a scarfer as my only rocker might be hard. I looked into jirachi before i put my team together, and it patches up the thundy and rotom weakness, but they both resist iron head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)