ORAS UU SubRoost Kyurem Balance 45-5 on suspect ladder

Wings of Night

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hey Guys, it's me and I'm showing you a team which I enjoy a lot to play and had decent success with. After leaving UU for a while I wanted to get into this tier again so I looked at the "good cores" thread and saw the Kyurem + Tentacruel core from BrandonBeast (so credit to him I guess) which looked quite interesting to me.​

+
Like I said the team was built around those two mons as Sub Roost Kyurem + Toxic Spikes can be quite threatening and they also share a decent type synergy.
Krookodile's CB Set is really good right now. It prevents me from autolosing to stuff like reuniclus and can also trap some kyurem counters like Bronzong or Blissey.
Steelix gave me stealth rock while checking a bunch of threats like Scarf Mence, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Absol and Mega Beedrill, Curselax etc
Chandelure more or less prevents spin and is the fastest member on my team thus my revenge killer. Also helps vs some fighting types.
Finally Tangrowth was added because of it's ability to check water types and dragons (more or less)

The Team:

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 120 HP / 156 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Roost​

Kyurem is such an underrated threat. I don't even know why it doesn't get enough usage to be UU. It has really good stats and Ice/Dragon isn't even a bad defensive typing in uu. It's really good bulk allows it to check many Threats such as Krookodile, Shaymin and Nidos. Ice Beam is the obligatory stab move, Earth Power is otimal coverage to hit things like Registeel, Empoleon or steels in general and fire types. Sub and Roost are the interesting part of this set. It can easily set up a sub on things like CB Entei and Twave Blissey and attempt to pp stall them a bit. Thats especially good considering it's checks like Alomomola, Milotic, Florges, Porygon2 etc are pressured by 2 layers of toxic spikes. The ev spread allows me to outspeed Standard Krookodile and Kyurem's subs always live a sludge bomb from tentacruel.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Haze​

Tentacruel has decent synergy with Kyurem because not only does it check fighting types like Infernape, Cobalion and Mienshao, it also gives Kyurem the much appreciated Toxic Spikes while also fixing the Stealth Rock weakness with Rapid Spin. Having an own toxic spike absorber is cool too. The ev spread is fairly standard, it outspeeds Adamant Honchkrow if needed and compensates the bad physical bulk a bit. Scald is the best move in the game and needs no explanation, Haze is nice if I need to sacrifice my tentacruel in order to prevent any sweep. It also helps vs Toxicroak and Suicune.

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Superpower/ Stone Edge​

CB Krook is such a good wallbreaker. Like I've mentioned before it helps Kyurem with removing it's checks like Bronzong with Pursuit. Getting off powerful knock offs vs things like Alomomola or Suicune and removing their items thus making them more susceptible to toxic spikes is also really nice. Plus things that can actually switch in to this monster (most likely grass types) either give Kyurem or tentacruel free room. Earthquake is the optimal second stab.Tbh I don't really know if superpower or stone edge is optimal on the last slot, I used superpower just for hydreigon as that thing can be quite threatening but Stone Edge could lure Mandibuzz and OHKO Mega Aero.

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar/ Dragon Tail
I chose Steelix over Aggron mainly because it gives me another Electric Immunity and can pressure water types way more easily with it's stab eq. Mega Steelix is my main check to most physical attackers like Mega Absol, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Beedrill, Slurpuff, Curselax and Tyrantrum. I like the offensive spread a bit more because Like I said I wanted to pressure bulky waters easier although a bulky spread could be considered to take on Mega Absol way better, not sure on this one. Heavy Slam and Earthquake both hit extremely hard and prevent Lix from being passive shit like many steels are.
Every team appreciates Stealth Rock and this is no exception. Dragon Tail forces the opponent to switch while doing damage but I like Roar more because it can phaze Sub DD Gyarados and they overall help dealing with Curselax.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick
- Energy Ball​

I feel like I needed Chandelure because Tentacruel obviously isn't enough to deal with things like SD Heracross or fighting types in general, considering it has no reliable recovery. What I like about Chandelure is that it soft checks fighting types, doesn't lose to Entei, beats Abomasnow (can be quite a pain too) and gives me a reliable way of dealing with last mon Curselax in one slot. Trick cripples stuff like Blissey or Curselax which helps Kyurem greatly, it's also my only 'reliable' way of switching into toxicroak. Energy Ball is just there as filler to pressure water types and OHKO Swampert.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature /
IVs: 30 Spe
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
The last mon is Tangrowth. With Assault Vest equipped it can check some powerful special attackers such as Mega Blastoise and Zam but I mainly chose this set because it's my only way of 'dealing' with special Salamence and Hydreigon. The loss in physical bulk obviously hurts vs Feraligatr, Krookodile or Gyarados, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem because I have other ways of dealing with those and it still checks the things it needs to like Mega Pert or Sharpedo. Knock off is just for annoyance;removing forretress or bronzong's only recovery is nice. Hidden Power Ice deals with any Mence while Focus Blast does serious damage to Houndoom or Hydreigon which are both really threatening.

Dark Types:

Houndoom and Absol can both sweep if Tentacruel/Lix are weakened enough although Tangrowth can still take a hit from Absol and Play Rough is more common (idk why though, superpower is better vs everything lol). Hydreigon beats 5 out of 6 pokemon 1v1 and is super hard to switch into. Sableye is just a dick to this team. I usally try to get up toxic spikes or scald burn it.
Dragon Types:

The only threatening Salamence set is special LO which unfortunately is pretty common, the other sets aren't really that threatening tho. Kyurem is just a pain. Both Specs and Sub/Roost are extremely good vs my team and will do serious damage to me. Fortunately Kyurem isn't that common.
other Threats:

If rocks are up, Mamoswine destroys me even more, my best attempt of beating it is like LO stall with Kyurem or rkill with chandelure/Krook. If Toxicroak runs EQ and lures my chandelure, I have to rely on Krook and Kyurem to beat this thing which obviously isn't good considering the fact that it gets 1 million free switch in opportunities vs Tentacruel and Tangrowth. Moltres doesn't have much usage anymore but god I'm glad this thing is 4x weak to rocks, which means kyurem and Krook can deal with Moltres. Just like Moltres, Tornadus is extremely hard to switch into, I can usually 1v1 it with kyurem or rkill it with chandelure after 2 life orb hits except if it has tailwind.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading. If you have any suggestions feel free to drop them.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there Wings of night good looking team you got there! Kyurem + Tentacruel is a very effective core especially because they compliment each other so well thanks to their typings and roles. That being said, there are some changes I feel would help your team out.
  • First off, the lack of a Fairy-type means that powerful Dragon-types such as Hydreigon, Salamence, and Mega Sceptile can become very threatening to Kyurem and can plow through the team's current Dragon resist (Mega Steelix) with their common coverage moves such as Fire Blast and Focus Blast. For this reason, I would suggest Sylveon > AV Tangrowth. While you lose out on a decent Ground resist, you gain an answer to the threatening Dark- and Dragon-types in the tier as well as a cleric to keep the team rid of status. Sylveon also fulfills the "mixed wall" role that Tangrowth possessed while offering up a better defensive typing thanks to its defensive investment coupled with its high Special Defense stat. Losing Tangrowth does mean the team becomes more weak to Mega Swampert but with Kyurem and TSpikes, this team can put it on a timer, forcing it to wear itself down if it stays in and tries to sweep.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice
  • Next up, I feel like your reasoning for choosing Mega Steelix > Mega Aggron doesn't really fix the issue as Mega Steelix brings on a Water weakness and it is still slower than most common Water-types such as Suicune and Mega Swampert, meaning it is most likely not going to do much to do them without taking a massive hit. You also don't really need the "power" Mega Steelix offers up as Toxic Spikes pressures all Water-types not named Suicune and Gyarados. For this reason, I suggest going Mega Aggron > Mega Steelix as you lose the Water weakness while gaining a better ability in Filter, allowing Mega Aggron to tank hits more easily. Furthermore, you don't need the extra Electric immunity since you have Krookodile who is scary enough to force the opponent, if they're smart, to not give it a free turn at any point in the match. A cool bit of tech you can run on Mega Aggron is Thunder Punch to make sure Gyarados cannot set up on it. Sadly, this still doesn't remedy the issue of Suicune, but with Kyurem's Pressure, TSpikes support, and Haze on Tentacruel, it is hard pressed to set up.

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Thunder Punch
- Roar
  • Lastly, I feel like the optimization of some sets are needed to allow the team to be more effective. First, running 56 HP / 220 SpA / 232 Spe on Kyurem still gives you 101 HP Substitutes while also giving Kyurem a more powerful Ice Beam. The current spread is somewhat unnecessary as Sludge Bomb is only seen on offensive Tentacruel, which outspeeds Kyurem anyways. Next, running Dragon Tail > Earth Power allows Kyurem to phaze out more crucial threats and help spread poison through Toxic Spikes while Earth Power isn't as necessary with Choice Band Krookodile nailing the Steel- and Poison-types that are "immune" to Toxic Spikes. Another thing is running an EV spread of 248 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe with a Timid nature on Tentacruel to outspeed Mamoswine as well as Nidoking and OHKO them with Scald after a bit of prior damage, making them not as big of an issue to the team. This does cut into Tentacruel's bulk, but with no solid Ground resist, this team cannot afford to lose to said powerful Ground-types. Lastly, while not necessary, you can try running Hex > Energy Ball on Chandelure to give it a very spammable STAB with TSpikes support, but the ability to nail Swampert harder may prove more fruitful.
Overall, the lack of a solid Ground-type answer means that this team still needs to be wary of powerful attackers such as Krookodile, Mamoswine, and Nidoking as they can spam their STAB freely, but the above changes allow the team to effectively break down the bulky Pokemon with TSpikes while also having the support to outlast the opponent. Otherwise, a good looking team! :)

Wings of Night

I COULD BE BANNED!
Thanks for the rate nv
Although my build will be weaker to pert without Tangrowth I like how sylveon fixes both the weakness to Dark and Dragon types. Having a cleric for tentacruel or status in general is nice too.
I will definitely try out all changes you suggested except hex on chandelure because I rly like to OHKO Swampert :s

Reactions: nv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)