Suddenly, Rain

Go ahead, scout me. Team sucks anyway. edit: I used it anyway lolololl

Introduction

So here's an offensive rain team I build recently. To be honest, the only reason I even started to build this team was because I was getting bored of my old ones, and I hadn't used rain in a while. It ended up being pretty decent, so I stuck with it. I didn't really build it around a certain mon, but I definitely had some things in mind (Jolteon, Gyara). Anyway, let's get started with this RMT!

*all pictures drawn by me

Team In-Depth

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psychic
- Perish Song
- Protect

Well this is a rain team, naturally Politoed would be my first pick. I decided to go with a more defensive set to give my team a bit more bulk. I also enjoy winning weather wars which can be a lot easier if you build your weather starter to live longer. (the best defense is a good offense does not apply to politoed, in my opinion) Psychic is for Toxicroak, which would otherwise wall me. (I don't want to rely on Perish Song). Perish song incase something decides to set up late game or just to force switches, Scald for the burns, and Protect is for scouting/leftys.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 60 HP / 248 Atk / 200 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Gyarados would have to be the MVP of this team. Once it finds a time to set up(which isn't hard due to it's excellent typing and bulk), I'm set. I can easily set up on bulky waters laking roar or and electric move. They will try to status me as I set up a sub, and then fail to break my sub with Scald next turn, if they don't switch out. Either way I now have a sub up with +1 atk/spd. And if the team is weakened a bit with hazards that usually all I need. Even if the first poke lives a hit I'll still have my sub and can KO next turn. Thanks to moxie IM now at +2 atk and there isn't much that can take either a +2, or even a +1 waterfall in the rain or a bounce. This mon has gotten me most of my sweeps, or at least severely dented the opposing team.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Ah yes Ferrothorn, I use this mon on so many teams. Probably my favorite hazard support. Obviously it works especially well in the rain where Ferro's biggest weakness, fire attacks, only do half as much damage. Ferrothorn is also my safest switch into opposing Ferrothorn. (yes my team is horribly walled by it) Watch this] and you'll know what I mean. Anyway, SR and Spikes are obviously for hazard support. I like running both Gyro Ball and Power Whip, so that why they're there. I tried Bulldoze for Magnezone, but it didn't really work out so well.

Jolteon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jolteon is great, way too underused in my opinion. Thunder is extremely powerful, and you don't really want to switch into it unless you resist it (or you're a fat pink blob). This paired with top tier speed (literally) and HP Ice can force many switches. This is where my next move comes into play. I can set up a sub on the switch, and then safely pass it to anything on my team (maybe even Gyarados on an EQ to start setting up). This works great with the pseudo Gyaravire I have going on. Jolteon can even sweep late game with Starmie, speaking of which...

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder

I have 2 things that take 25% from SR. Needless to say, I needed a spinner. I tried out Tentacruel at first, but it didn't really seem to fit. Then I tried out Starmie. Perfect. Starmie is a great spinner. With it's great speed I can usually always get off a Rapid Spin before taking a hit. That's not the only thing Starmie is good for though. STAB Hydro Pump in the rain hits like a truck, 2HKOing almost anything that doesn't resist it, sometimes even OHKOing after a little hazard damage. Thunder is obviously there because of the accuracy raise in rain, and so that it can hit things like opposing Gyarados or other water types Starmie might otherwise have trouble with. Recover is there so that Starmie doesn't die as quick and can spin before I decide to pull out Gyara or Dnite.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 108 SAtk
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Hurricane
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake
- Roost

Dragonite is the much needed glue to this team. I knew I need a more bulky set, so I went ahead a slapped max HP on. Hurricane for a powerful STAB, and grass types my team might have trouble with. Earthquake is for steel types and Tyranitar, which might assume I'm the standard rain tank set. I had Thunder in this slot before, but I was tired of getting walled by Tyranitar and Magnezone. Extreme Speed is there so my team has at least one priority user, and definitely comes in handy when finishing off weakened, faster foes. And last but not least, Roost keeps Dragonite healthy and Multiscale intact.

Threatlist

Celebi can pose a big threat to this team. The only things on my team that can outspeed it can barely touch it, and after 1 or 2 NPs, I'm sweeped. Dnite can Hurricane + Espeed, but only if Celebi doesn't have HP ice and/or Multiscale is in tact. I'm considering putting Ice Beam on Starmie over recover.

Sub CM Jirachi can also be hard to deal with. If I let it set up too much it can also potentially sweep my team.

I can play around choiced Terrakion sets, but that won't work for ever. Starmie can check it. (also Jolteon if it's weakened enough) Scarfed sets will outspeed Gyarados if I only have 1 DD up.

Again the only things that can outspeed Virizion can barely tough it, and if it get up a couple CMs and Dnite's Multiscale isn't intact it can easily sweep me.

Salamence is a big threat to any team. Ferro can take one of anything Mence has to offer in the rain, but that's about it. Jolteon can check it.

Other

Ice Beam/Psyshock > Recover
Signal Beam/Volt Switch > Sub/Baton Pass
Life Orb/Expert Belt > Leftovers

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psychic
- Perish Song
- Protect

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 60 HP / 248 Atk / 200 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Jolteon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder

EVs: 252 HP / 148 Atk / 108 SAtk
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Hurricane
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
- Roost

I know it doesn't really prove anything shaddap

Hey there.

A problem that I see with this team is that since 4/6 of your Pokemon are specially-oriented, a simple Blissey can cause your team major problems. Ferrothorn stands no chance against it either since it lacks Leech Seed, leaving Gyarados as your only answer to it, which is never good since it is your main sweeper and Blissey will be around for a long time, walling your entire team. You also mentioned that Virizion is a problem for this team, so to kill two birds with one stone, I suggest replacing Thunder on Starmie with Psyshock. The loss of Thunder isn't too big of a deal since Jolten is running it anyway; not to mention, Psyshock can do a solid amount of damage to Jellicent, especially after entry hazards. Psyshock also does a solid amount of damage to Blissey, and can often spell the end for it, allowing Starmie to threaten a 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Spikes if you give Starmie a Life Orb. This change will power up Starmie's moves greatly, allowing it to be much more a force. The loss of HP isn't too big of a problem since your Starmie has Recover anyway. Of course, Virizion will also be decimated by Psyshock.

Solid team. Hope I helped, and good luck!

Hey

Solid team Basti, I like it. It seems you're heading in the direction if you want to set-up for a Dragon Dance Gyarados sweep. Alongside the threats you listed above, Volt-turn core teams especially consisting of Rotom-W, Scizor and Landorus posse an even bigger threat. With a well-timed prediction, Rotom-W can potentially take out Jolteon with a rain boosted Hydro Pump and continue to spam Volt Switch which could be really problematic. Calm Mind Jirachi on the other hand wrecks this team havoc, only Starmie and Jolteon are faster than it which automatically puts you to a huge disadvantage. Relying on a 80% accuracy move (Hydro Pump) to essentially beat Jirachi does not seems reasonable to me. Jolteon is extremely fragile and OHKO'd by Psyshock from a +2 Jirachi. To fix this situation, I would highly recommend replacing Jolteon for a Tank Gastrodon. A physically defensive EV spread of 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SDef with a Relaxed nature allows it to take less damage from physical assaults such as Choice Band Terrakion's Close Combat. At the same time Calm Mind Jirachi fails to bypass Gastrodon thanks to its solid natural bulk. Scald is the primary stab move, which comes with a 30% chance to burn the foe. Earthquake is the secondary stab which breaks Jirachi and Bulk Up Toxicroak's substitute. Toxic lets Gastrodon threaten many opponents it couldn't otherwise touch like Latias and Rotom-W and Recover increases its survivability and works extremely well in the conjunction with Toxic. Ice Beam is an excellent alternative over Scald which lets you decimate the likes of Salamence, Dragonite and Gliscor. This change provides your team with an electric-type move immunity and resistance to volt-turn core teams.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers | Storm Drain
Relaxed | 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SDef
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Beam / Scald
~ Toxic
~ Recover

Now to overcome your massive grass-type weakness against Virizion and Celebi, I heavily suggest replacing Dragonite for Offensive Latias. Dragonite's presence won't be missed a bit after this change due to several reasons; first Latias isn't weak to entry hazards so she doesn't mind switching in more often; second thanks to her natural bulk and brilliant typing Latias makes an excellent synergy in the team. A spread with 152 HP / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd with a Modest nature and Life Orb, utilizes Latias's role as a bulky, hard hitting tank. Draco Meteor is her main assault which deals heavy damage to anything that does not resist it. Surf greatly enhances Latias's ability to shut down threats like Tyranitar, Heatran and Scizor under the influence of rain. Psyshock enables her to demolish fighting-type mons such as Breloom and Virizion with ease. For the last slot Recover is an obvious pick which increases her survivability throughout the match. If you start to miss Latias's speed too much this spread is an excellent alternative over the current one, 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd. After these change grass and fighting-type mons and sun teams are considered as minor threats. Overall effective team dude, Good Luck!

Latias
@ Life Orb | Levitate
Modest | 152 HP / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd
~ Draco Meteor
~ Surf
~ Psyshock
~ Recover

Well, a very simple thing : ShedShell over Leftovers on Ferrothorn...nowadays SubChargeZone are not so rare, and could be a very big problem for you!
For the remaing member, good joob i like it !

I ran a similar team and found that Drangoite as a tank works much better.
It can beat CM Jirachi and CM Virzion or just phaze out unfavorable matches and spread around paralysis, something gyarados will really appreciate
EVs: 252 HP / 108 SAtk / 148 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Dragontail
- Roost

Heydreigon in RED :d
You really need Toxic on Toad instead of Psychic otherwise Ninetailes and sun will be annoying.

Hello, user: Basti

Calm Mind Virizion sets up on Starmie and sweeps you with Giga Drain / Focus Blast / HP Ice if Dragonite's Multiscale isn't intact. Tornadus would fit really well on this team, as its STAB 4x super effective Hurricane easily kills Virizion, and overall is one of the most powerful attacks in the metagame. A Choice Specs set with U-turn | Hurricane | Focus Blast | Tailwind works fine, although if you want to get fancy you can run Sharp Beak as the item and use Rain Dance over Focus Blast to screw with Sun teams. Tornad would probably work best over Dragonite since they check alot of similar mons, but Tornad fits on this team better because he does it with more power and speed, which is more suited to an offensive team like this. gl

update:

@ShakeItUp I've never really had a problem with Blissey, but I will try out psyshock starmie w/ lo for Virizion.

@mostwanted I've always wanted to try out offensive Latias. Not sure about gastro yet, if I'm having too much trouble with cm sub rach I'll definitely try it out.

@_AlexiS_ I would really hate to give up my only fprm of recovery on ferro, but if mag does start causing bigger problems I'll look into it.

@Stew0the0Jew I used that set before, like I said it didn't really work out for me on this team.

@Grimm70 Isn't any team lacking Bliss/Chancey weak to it though? Also like I said I really want to keep psychic for toxicroak.

@BKC I'll try it out, thanks user: BKC.

Also, why didn't anyone say anything about my drawings? :[

Hi Basti, cool drawings ;)

The team itself looks pretty solid and you have had some good suggestions from the other raters, but you asked so nicely so here are my 2 cents.
Without changing to much on your team, I think putting Choice Scarf on Dragonite would help you cover the pokes in your threatlist. I can see a moveset similar to Hurricane / Draco Meteor / Thunder / Waterfall work out for you. You can still play around with the moveset as Earthquake and Outrage are viable options as well. Alternatively, a Scarfed Salamence instead of Dragonite also has potential.

Albeit not much, I hope this helped. Good luck with the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)