National Dex sugar song to bitter step [29-1 84.9% GXE suspect team] [700th post special]

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
hey heres a 700th post special. i want to showcase this team as i enjoyed both building it and using it, along with getting reqs for the most recent sneasler suspect test. ill try to actually make this an actual rmt while also trying to avoid the style of a sappy celebration post; apologies if it comes off as such
also the run should be 30-0 but one guy lucked me

iron valiant.gifiron moth.gif:sv/mawile-mega: ting-lu.gif:sv/dragonite:
teambuilding process

:iron-valiant:
choice specs iron valiant is the best specs user in the tier and i wanted to use it since i usually dont build around / with it a lot, and since if i was aiming to win a lot on the ladder i thought that i should definitely use it

:iron-valiant: :iron-moth:

wanted to use another special sweeper that also exploits some of valiants checks like slowking galar and mega scizor, so i chose substitute iron moth. this pokemon has saved me so much on ladder from stuff like scarf lele and setup sweepers like volcarona. very underrated pokemon, people should definitely use it more

:iron-valiant: :iron-moth: :mawile-mega:
while sub iron moth can mess with galarian slowking, it isnt completely fullproof since its still prone to future sight, thunder wave on the switch in, and it doesnt like some of its common teammates like mega tyranitar. mega mawile can alleviate these problems with its great matchup into balance and BO teams that often carry galarian slowking, while also offering strong priority and some good defensive utility with its typing. also makes the team have a fairy spam core which is p broken nowadays

:iron-valiant: :iron-moth: :mawile-mega: :ogerpon-wellspring:
ogerpon was added next since the team doesnt like loading into gliscor + alomomola teams that much, encore is used over taunt to lock pokemon like gliscor into swords dance and pokemon like garganacl into iron defense. horn leech is used to give ogerpon some longevity against the bulkier builds it is meant to destroy

:iron-valiant: :iron-moth: :mawile-mega: :ogerpon-wellspring: :ting-lu:
i wanted to apply some pressure in the long term with some hazards so i went with double hazard ting lu, who also is the psychic-immune, phazer, and the ground type of the team. while it may be exploitable vs pokemon like torn-t and zapdos, the team has enough tools to beat them; though if you want you can use stone edge > spikes

:iron-valiant: :iron-moth: :mawile-mega: :ogerpon-wellspring: :ting-lu: :dragonite:
dragonite was added because the team desperately needed an ogerpon check and additional strong priority as well. you can mess with dual wingbeat with it too for ogerpon but you would prob appreciate extreme speed more, tho i used dwb in the last few games bc ogerpon nearly gave me a heart attack

in-depth description

iron valiant.gif

Iron Valiant @ Choice Specs
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off

iron valiant is the main breaker of this team, helping us do well into offense, balance, and fat teams with its sheer strength. knock off is used over trick because keeping your specs is quite important in order to function well; you also do a decent chunk to galarian slowking while also removing its item which obviously have amazing value. if you really want to, trick is usable over knock off though the aforementioned point about not having your specs may not be worth it.

iron moth.gif

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 124 HP / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball
- Substitute

iron moth is emergency speed control against pokemon like choice scarf kartana and tapu lele while also fairing well into mega scizor and ferrothorn for the team. substitute is used to prevent galarian slowking from thunder waving you and to abuse the switches you cause against pokemon like iron valiant. tera grass is used to flip your matchups against pokemon like gliscor and ogerpon wellspring and giving you STAB on energy ball against alomomola. this set has saved me a bunch on ladder from random cheese and has given me wins quite easily, iron moth in general is a very underrated pokemon and as i said in the beginning of the post, people should definitely use it more

:sv/mawile-mega:
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

mega mawile serves as a wincon that also applies immediate pressure against opponents like galarian slowking while also checking tapu lele as a plus. it makes progress really easily due to its sheer strength and forms a fairy spam core with iron valiant, and in combination with teammates such as iron moth and dragonite spamming the aforementioned fairy STAB will be great. its your standard bread and butter SD set, dont think theres anything to alter here that wouldnt make the set worse

Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Encore

ogerpon is one of the strongest pokemon in the metagame due to it being obnoxious to deal with in play and in the builder, especially with swords dance + encore sets. exploiting wincons like swords dance gliscor and defensive pokemon like alomomola and then setting up for your own gain is always going to be great. you can use taunt over encore if you really want to mess with the aforementioned alomomola but not locking gliscor, garganacl, etc. into their setup moves isnt so desirable

ting-lu.gif

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Ghost / Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes / Stone Edge
- Whirlwind

needed a ground type pretty badly at this point thats good at stacking hazards, so ting lu was the option that i chose. i mostly used double hazard on my reqs run, but stone edge can work as well if you dont want to be fodder for zapdos, torn-t, and moltres. however, i valued stacking up both rocks and spikes more than killing the aforementioned because the rest of the team can deal with them. if youre gonna use dual hazards, use tera ghost but if youre using stone edge tera poison is better for the good typing it is in general

:sv/dragonite:
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Poison / Normal
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed / Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake
- Roost

dragonite is the very needed ogerpon check while also improving the matchup against urshifu and heatran. dual wingbeat was used during my last few games of my reqs run because i was very upset at ogerpon and great tusk, but in general extreme speed is good against pokemon like sneasler and mega lopunny. tera poison was mostly used to exploit pokemon like alomomola who would usually aim to toxic stall you, though you can always go with the tried-and-true tera normal.

threatlist

:kyurem:
kyurem in general is a pain to deal with, when you face it with this team just be sure to play aggressively and try to exploit substitute sets with encore ogerpon, but as i said youre going to have to play pretty aggressive to do so. another thing you can do is terastallize dragonite or ting lu and mess with it from there

:tapu-lele:
while mega mawile does good into tapu lele, its not going to live forever. choice scarf sets can be annoying but you can revenge kill it with iron moth or in the worst case scenario make it tera, which can be good for ting lu to stack up hazards freely for a turn. you just have to preserve your tera on ogerpon / ting lu and the booster energy on iron moth to do good into lele

:venusaur-mega:
while being niche, mega venusaur has a very good matchup against this team. try to chip it down with spikes and stealth rock and then have dragonite deal with it, if you want to be reckless and do the latter it wouldnt even be that bad since mega venusaur is incredibly prone to hazard damage

:zamazenta:
any non id + body press zamazenta set is complete fodder for this team, though if you are id + body press you'll have a good matchup, especially if youre tera steel + heavy slam. you need to make it tera or force it to switch out with iron valiant, then either go into iron moth and chip it, or tera ting lu and whirlwind it out or stack up some hazards to make it hard for it to pull off a sweep later in the game

:zapdos:
with ting lu as the ground zapdos is going to be an annoyance at times, though with specs iron valiant, sub iron moth, and stone edge ting lu you shouldn't have much problems with it. it also has limited switch in opportunities against the team but if youre dual hazard ting lu youre gonna have to play aggressively and pay attention to it to make sure it doesnt click volt switch forever

replays / misc stuff

until replays come back i have no replays to show since they were all saved before the outage...stay tuned when they come back though, i have a good chunk of them

s/o to the people that make mons fun and many more people that make this site worth being on. in general im both surprised and glad that i went from just an natdex room regular last year into having so much done in the nd community and this site this year. so yeah, ty all :D

Iron Valiant @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 124 HP / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Energy Ball
- Substitute

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Encore

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Ghost / Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes / Stone Edge
- Whirlwind

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Poison / Normal
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed / Dual Wingbeat
- Earthquake
- Roost

heres to a good DLC2 and a good 2024 folks, hope you enjoy those things and the above RMT
i will consider updating the team post dlc2 as well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)