Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I am not a member, so this is my first post, but I have been playing pokemonshowdown for a while. I'd like to report on what I believe to be an exploit in the game. When someone disconnects from pokemonshowdown, we all know they have a minute to reconnect. Well, I don't know why, but in my case, when someone I was battling disconnected, I did not have an option to select any move or something. I only had an option to stop the timer. It seems that the person reconnected (twice actually, but the second time) with a little over 10 seconds left. I cannot say how long, but it was fast, as when I clicked on the highlighted tab, I had already lost. This person won the battle by simply leaving the match and then when the timer counted down from one minute, he returned with so little time left, I could not respond fast enough. I had two battle tabs open at that time. I also have a Mac, where I even get notifications when it's my turn, so it shouldn't have been an issue, but I felt like I was cheated.

The biggest problem that makes this exploitable aside from a timer that doesn't reset when the person returns is I had no option to make a move. It only said to "stop timer." That was it. Nobody would stop a timer if the opponent disconnected and risk having an endless battle, unless it was a friend. I'm not looking for points, but I want to let you know about this phenomenon. I believe it to be exploitable. Here is the chat log.
Onetwodothekungfu has 120 seconds left.
Onetwodothekungfu has 90 seconds left.
Onetwodothekungfu has 60 seconds left.
SheCallsMeDaddy left.
SheCallsMeDaddy disconnected and has a minute to reconnect!
SheCallsMeDaddy has 60 seconds left.
SheCallsMeDaddy joined.
Onetwodothekungfu has 40 seconds left.
Onetwodothekungfu has 30 seconds left.
Onetwodothekungfu has 20 seconds left.
SheCallsMeDaddy left.
SheCallsMeDaddy has 40 seconds left.
SheCallsMeDaddy has 30 seconds left.
SheCallsMeDaddy has 20 seconds left.
SheCallsMeDaddy joined.
Onetwodothekungfu has 10 seconds left.

Onetwodothekungfu lost due to inactivity.

SheCallsMeDaddy won the battle!
Ladder updating...
SheCallsMeDaddy's rating: 1893 → 1907
(+14 for winning)
Onetwodothekungfu's rating: 1786 → 1772
(-14 for losing)
★Onetwodothekungfu: ....
SheCallsMeDaddy left.
I talked about this in the lobby but people said it was my fault. Now, I understand that I should pay attention to battles, and I really do try, but suppose the person did return with so little time left and I had to make a new move quickly. I wouldn't even be able to make a well-thought out move because I couldn't click on my pokemon to see their moves or stats and usually when a person leaves, 90% of the time, they don't come back. I think it's possibly an issue that is underreported or underutilized. I propose possibly resetting the timer by 60 seconds if a person returns to a match and maybe lowering it by some amount if they leave and return to stop them from creating an endless match and troll the opponent. As is, it was very weird that I couldn't even pick a move after the opponent left. Maybe it had to do with him coming back and then leaving again so many times. Also, when looking back at this log, it seems when the person left, they had more time to reconnect, but theoretically, if someone timed it well and knew the system, they could continue this exploit and reap more points. This person in question has over 1900 points, so I believe they are indeed knowledgeable about this. The reply can be seen here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-335297344 If anyone cares and won't simply write me off as saying it's my fault for "not paying attention to the match," thank you.EDIT: The link doesn't work. Sorry, I wasn't aware of a save function. I only clicked upload and share and thought that was enough.

Last edited:
I think you guys should add a new battle format that allows for team-doubles, so there could be fights of 2 players vs 2 players. I know it could be tough to set up, but I think it would be really fun, as I have a friend who introduced me to showdown, and we've been wanting to do team-doubles without the limitations of what pokemon we can get in the main-series installments.

I understand the problem with Staff impersonation via free roam over name color, but one thing I feel you could do to make it somewhat more satisfying is upon creation of the name give users the choice of 3 or 4 colors picked at random, instead of the 1 color picked by whatever algorithm is used now. I don't foresee a problem with staff impersonation arising from that, and it's more likely for users to get a color they can be satisfied with.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Here's a little suggestion:

I'd like to suggest that names that haven't been logged into for 1-3 years or so should be removed.

Pros:
  1. Users can access more usernames.
  2. Less names will take up the server space (I dunno if that's right, just speculating).
  3. It sucks when all of the "cool" names are registered—such as Pokémon names, common words, etc.—even when the person who registered the name(s) don't even use them. This would change that.
Cons:
  1. People could use the usernames of past staff and/or their alts. Though, I staff names could always be registered in this case?

For example, say I wanted to have the name 'UFO' because of its really cool color. Here's the thing, it's been registered already. According to sparkyboTTT, it was registered on Feb 21 2013 00:25:07 (EST). That's about three years from now, and they evidently haven't been using this account for a long period of time, because Lady Monita (a bot) has "not seen ufo lately."

I personally think this would be a neat feature, and there could be a slightly different message if the username has been inactive.

[SUGGESTION]: An "Answering Machine" for those who are blocking PMs.

Let's say you're blocking PMs and someone PMs you. Well, instead of saying "This user is blocking PMs." It would be much cooler if you could set a message to say to the PM-er.

Last edited:
Here's another one. This is an importable for Xerneas in the teambuilder

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Geomancy
- Protect
Instead of "Timid Nature", it'd be better if you could do something like (+Spe, -Atk) or Spe/Atk, it'd be more understandable without needing to remember every nature. Like suppose I needed more SpA, then I could just edit the text itself without going to the EV modifier page.

And we desperately need a friend system but call it 'Rivals' just for the lulz

Edit and yeah, making an account should be harder, there are some troll accounts I've encountered that were made like 5 minutes ago

Edit 2 : In tournaments, the Score Table should be like pictures on Amazon, a smaller one and when you hover mouse over it, it zooms in. To see what I mean, go to Amazon and view a product's picture. Also usernames in the score table should be searchable

Last edited:
Here's a little suggestion:

I'd like to suggest that names that haven't been logged into for 1-3 years or so should be removed.

Pros:
  1. Users can access more usernames.
  2. Less names will take up the server space (I dunno if that's right, just speculating).
  3. It sucks when all of the "cool" names are registered—such as Pokémon names, common words, etc.—even when the person who registered the name(s) don't even use them. This would change that.
Cons:
  1. People could use the usernames of past staff and/or their alts. Though, I staff names could always be registered in this case?

For example, say I wanted to have the name 'UFO' because of its really cool color. Here's the thing, it's been registered already. According to sparkyboTTT, it was registered on Feb 21 2013 00:25:07 (EST). That's about three years from now, and they evidently haven't been using this account for a long period of time, because Lady Monita (a bot) has "not seen ufo lately."

I personally think this would be a neat feature, and there could be a slightly different message if the username has been inactive.

Bad idea, sometimes people leave smogon for an extended period of time and then come back later. Having their account deleted just gives no incentive to ever come back. Just get more creative with your username, language is infinite afterall.

temp

legacy
Bad idea, sometimes people leave smogon for an extended period of time and then come back later. Having their account deleted just gives no incentive to ever come back. Just get more creative with your username, language is infinite afterall.
There could be an option to disable such a feature, so your name(s) never disappear.

temp

legacy
I've been posting here quite a bit, but I feel that this would be a pretty nice and relatively simple addition:

For practical and informative use, I think the /dt command should also tell what a Pokémon evolves from.

This would be pretty useful for users who wonder what a Pokémon evolves from, as the /dt command already tells what it evolves into.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pardon my OCD, I know I'm probably like the only person who gives a shit and I know I'm a weirdo that cares about the cries in battle but would it be too much ask for to add the cries for diancie and the Hoopa forms? I know PS probably has better things to worry about but it's just so annoying when everything else has their cries implemented, even the Therian and Kyurem forms, but diancie and the hoopas don't.

I know it's a huge nitpick and doesn't really matter at all to most people, but idk just adds to the overall professionalism I guess. If it's too much to ask for I can at least provide links to the sound files too if need be. It's just something that has been bugging me for a long time lol

EDIT: Cry download links. Just go to the links and you can download the MP3 rips.

Diancie: http://picosong.com/hx5R/
Hoopa: http://picosong.com/hx5E/
Hoopa U: http://picosong.com/download/hxfU/

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pardon my OCD, I know I'm probably like the only person who gives a shit and I know I'm a weirdo that cares about the cries in battle but would it be too much ask for to add the cries for diancie and the Hoopa forms? I know PS probably has better things to worry about but it's just so annoying when everything else has their cries implemented, even the Therian and Kyurem forms, but diancie and the hoopas don't.

I know it's a huge nitpick and doesn't really matter at all to most people, but idk just adds to the overall professionalism I guess. If it's too much to ask for I can at least provide links to the sound files too if need be. It's just something that has been bugging me for a long time lol
Giving that might help, I think I sent all the original once they were ripped.

As most people know, breeding is a very key aspect in the Pokemon series to getting various flawless and even shiny pokemon. There are many important aspects to breeding that people need to keep track of before they begin, such as the egg moves a pokemon gets and which parents can pass them, the gender ratios of various pokemon, and the length of a pokemon's egg cycle.

Because of this, I was wondering if there is any way to add egg cycles, egg moves, and/or gender ratios to /dt and /ds commands

I would like it if Smogon implemented a "Code Cracker" room. With things like Cicada 3301, 414.org, etc. There are plenty of engaging challenges and mysteries waiting to be solved. It was very fun to try and crack the code and I'd like to see a room dedicated to this. Not only does it have the potential to solve mysteries, its very mentally stimulating and fun with even more people helping you.

Staffintro source should be visible by Drivers too by using /staffintrosource(that also makes that /staffintro does not shows source even for mods). The same could apply to roomintro and Room Owners.

Can we please, PLEASE make the timer shorter? No one needs over 2 minutes per turn, and people always try to stall me out when theyre going to lose.

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
Can we have the hangman screen say something like 'Use /guess [word / letter] to guess'? A lot of people still put the answer in the chat.

Im sure this has been suggested many time. But I would love a way to do double battles with a friend on your side and also FFAs.

I have a suggestion for a meta, idk if it's already there but it's just color mons, each party member has to have the same color based on their pokedex entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)