SPOILERS! Sun and Moon In game experience thread

Since these conversations were scattered amongst a few different threads, I thought I'd create this.

This is a thread for discussing how your in game play through is going. How far are you into the game? What's your team looking like? Pokemon that surprised you? Pokemon that underwhelmed you? Enjoying the story? Barely get away from a totem fight? Almost get swept by a Bonsly like bad user: DTC ? Share any of your fun experiences and stories here!

Also: If you're going to talk about large spoilers, please put them in spoiler tags!

Last edited:
My credits rolled at exactly 20 hours of time played ~4 of which were spent on hunting for a Tauros and Salazzle with non-detrimental natures which I ended up giving up on (I did find a perfect HP impish Miltank, though!), and a Trapinch. I played with XP share off and no item use in battles which are my typical rules. Game was surprisingly challenging, though I only actually died once. Funnily enough it was because my team was SR weak, didn't think I had to worry about that in single player. I also almost died to the teacher with the magnemite and meowth mostly because I was being lazy. The last Guzma fight also kind of took me by surprise and his Masquerain, of all things, almost ended me.

The totems/trials/kahunas were a great change from the gyms, felt less predictable. Really punishing for people who don't build balanced teams, much more so than the gyms. Pacing was also pretty good compared to XY. My final team was Archeops/Incineroar/Flygon/Araquanid/Trevenant/Miltank. Most of the harder fights were won by bulk up/leech life/flame charge cheese with Incineroar. Without XP share on the level curve actually gets brutal around the 4th island, aside from my lead Archeops which was lv60, most of my team was in the low 50s at the end of the game.

Now I'm SRing for a good Tapu Bulu for my battle tree team.

The last Guzma fight also kind of took me by surprise and his Masquerain, of all things, almost ended me.
Without XP share on the level curve actually gets brutal around the 4th island, aside from my lead Archeops which was lv60, most of my team was in the low 50s at the end of the game.
Yes that Masquerain was nasty. x)

Agree on the level curve, when I got to the 4th island I was like..."okay...I am 3-4 level behind." and I used XP share on 2nd island because wimpod is awful to train without it, I deactivated it for 3rd island but I used it again for 4th island when I saw the levels.

Yeah, reverting to gen 5 EXP mechanics really balances out the levels, even with the EXP share on. Currently just now on the 4th island and most of my team are matching the wildlife's levels at around the mid 40s. The only exception is a Decidueyes that's just been sitting in the party the whole game. It only really comes out as a panic button, it seems.

I've used probably a wider variety of Pokemon than I ever have before in game. Decidueyes, Persian, Makuhita, Pelliper, Rimbombee, Alakazam, Wishiwashi, Salazzle, Marowak, Golisopod, Bewear, Archops, Metagross, Gabite... pretty much all of them were on my team doing work at some point with the only fixed value being Decidueyes. I actually ended up training Pokemon to the point where they had finally gotten good only to box them soon after so I could train something else I was so excited to raise! The new catching mechanics, the overwhelmingly cool amount of Pokeballs available, and Gen 5 EXP mechanics with the EXP share truly allows you to use an astouding variety of Pokemon. Z-moves really do make for climactic finishes to important battles and each trial captain and kahuna has been very memorable. The only parts I haven't enjoyed are searching for a Stufful and a Gabite, but hey, I got a shiny Dugtrio out of that.

Currently over 25 hours in and I can't put the game down. I've been going to bed at 3am only to happily get back up at 9am to keep playing. This is probably over dramatic, but I really do feel like I have the energy of a kid again playing Pokemon Moon. Immensely fun game.

Only disappointment for me is the trainer customization, don't know about the girl (gonna find out soon when I'm going to do Sun) but the boy's clothing and haircut are so bad. XY did a better job with that, only good thing in SM is the dye system.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
I played Sun, just saw the credits roll. I went into Sun thinking this was going to be the worst Pokemon game I've ever played. Honestly, this game felt more like a throwback to the original Gameboy games than any of the other Pokemon game, it really captures the adventure and discovery of those early games, when you were just out to be the best and capture some Pokemons and maybe beat up some thugs on the way. It is honestly both the most fun and most challenging Pokemon game I have ever played. I kind of ran around talking to everyone and battling trainers, but I didn't explore everywhere yet and there are some places I am going to have to go back and explore some more.

No seriously, unless you don't care about the story (which you should, this is the first Pokemon game that I have actually cared about the characters and story), major battles or you have already seen the credits, don't read this. Some things might be out of order.

Took forever to get the starter. I don't really love any of the starters and don't really hate any of them either, but I picked Rowlet because I really like the other Grass-type starters. Named him Virion, he has a Hardy nature and likes to thrash about. Rival caught me off guard with the Popplio, but turns out sea lions don't like leaves. Looks like someone picked the wrong Pokemon!

Got my Pokeballs and caught some Pokemon. I thought about using Pikipek, but I caught one with a Timid nature and Keen Eye as its ability :pirate:

I found it really cool that each patch of Grass had its own Pokemon spawn rates. At the same time, it also meant I missed quite a few Pokemon because I didn't figure this out until later. On the way to the professor's house I caught a Slowpoke and named him Boofers. Originally he was going to be sent to the box because Slowpoke takes eons to evolve, but I saw he started with Yawn and Curse. Considering Rowlet is weak to Fire and Rock, I decided to give Boofers a shot. Turns out that Yawn and Curse are pretty good moves in the early game. Boofers has a Relaxed nature and is often lost in thought. I only wish it had Own Tempo, because holy shit there is a lot of confusion in this game. I trained him up on Wingulls and eventually made it to the professor's in time to hear him fucking his poor dog from outside his door.

Around this time Lillie and Hau really started to grow on me. I thought they were going to be irritating or cliched like Cheren and Bianca, but they were actually kind of likable characters. I caught a Grimer that I was so pumped to use until I saw it had a Timid nature too, wtf game

I was looking for Pokemon at Route 2 when this MASSIVE, DARK, HURDLING MASS comes running at me and throws its fat body at us. I caught the Makuhita and named it Wumbo. I had an empty slot on the team so it stuck around and got some of that EXP Share love. I also had a Yungoos eating up the experience. Pokemon Refresh on Rowlet and Slowpoke improved their EXP gain too, so every Pokemon was a pinata of EXP and youngster tears.

Team Skull is actually hilarious, no one takes them seriously. Their battle music is pretty fun too. They have the Team Rocket Pokemon theme, a lot of Poison-types, rats and the occasional Drowzee.

The first Trial was going well, getting the Brick Break TM was a nice little gimme from Game Freak. Only Makuhita could learn it, sadly. Totem Gumshoos messed my day UP. Rowlet did some damage with Razor Leaf before going down, and Slowpoke managed to get off a Yawn and Water Gun but that was it. That Defense boost is actually a big deal. Then BIG DICK MAKUHITA saved the day, smacking Gumshoos and Yungoos with Brick Break. Makuhita had actually pulled its weight (an impressive feat) so I decided to train him up too. His name is Wumbo, and he has a Sassy nature, Thick Fat and likes to relax.

After beating the Totem Gumshoos I ran around looking for new Pokemon. I really like Cutiefly, it was the one Pokemon I was determined to use in my first playthrough. The game disagreed, and kept throwing me Honey Gather Cutiefly with Adamant or Impish natures. After like six Cutiefly I gave up searching for them. In Melemele Meadow, a female one randomly popped up. Hopelessly optimistic, I tossed a Heal Ball at it for giggles. It caught and I finally had one with Shield Dust and a not-shitty nature. I named her Pollyanna. She has a Quirky nature and is impetuous and silly.

Pollyanna was really underleveled, but Stun Spore and Shield Dust are amazing and its really fast. I turned off the EXP Share because my Pokemon were getting overleveled and that doesn't make the game fun. I did a little switch training to get Cutiefly leveled up and Rowlet evolved into Dartrix.

BIG KAHUNA TIME. Cutiefly was set the sweep Hala with Fairy Wind but she got a critical hit which activated Mankey's Anger Point. Mankey got a critical Karate Chop and Cutiefly was down. I sent out Slowpoke and Mankey whipped out the surprise Pursuit, OHKOing Slowpoke. Dartrix came in to clean up, outspeeding everything and OHKOing with the mighty Peck. The kahuna battle music was awesome and riding on Tauros is awesome, it was at this point I realized this game is awesome.

The Water Trail was pretty easy, considering I had Dartrix. I did start with Cutiefly to paralyze the Totem Wishiwashi, but then it called an Alomomola with Healer -_- Dartrix finished them with Razor Leaf after that. Makuhita and Dartrix were definitely carrying my team while Cutiefly was around for paralysis and Slowpoke would sometimes tank some attacks so I could heal my other Pokemon. I was feeling pretty strong tbh.

Found a bunch of Salandit at Wela Volcano. I like Poison-types and I like lizards, and even though I am not the biggest fan of Salazzle's design, Salandit is really cute and that typing was too cool to pass up. I caught two females, one with a Hardy nature and the other one Mild. That Special Attack tho. I named her Maya and she is somewhat vain. She started with Dragon Rage, aka the best move in the game before level 25. She started kicking ass right away.

But then the Fire Trial. Holy shit this trial. I thought it was going to be a cake walk, but Salazzle does not fuck around. First she gets a crit Flame Burst on Salazzle, which knocks her out. Then she poisons Slowpoke and the random Salandit she called uses Venoshock. Makuhita falls. Cutiefly falls. Dartrix falls. The random Stufful I caught and never bothered to take off my team falls. Tears fall.

Revenge time, I march right back up that mountain. I start with Salandit again. She uses Torment and Salandit gets off a Dragon Rage, which does like 60%. The next turn I use Flame Burst on the Salandit and she uses Flame Burst. Not even close, baby, and Salandit hits her with another Dragon Rage. The wild Salandit finishes off mine, but I know who really won. Slowpoke cleans up with a Confusion and I get my Firium Z.

After being fed my humble pie, I turned back on my EXP Share for some training before the next trial. Totem Lurantis ends up doing like 40% to Cutiefly with Razor Leaf and then a Castform shows up and uses Sunny Day. I go to Dartrix after Lurantis shoves a Solar Blade down Cutiefly's throat. Castform uses Weather Ball and OHKOs Dartrix while Lurantis heals with Synthesis. Lurantis hits Salandit with a critical X-scissor and Castform Water Guns it down. Slowpoke and Makuhita both get sliced by a Solar Blade and I get wiped AGAIN.

Round 2 against Lurantis, things start poorly when she calls in Trumbeak who manages to KO Dartrix and Salandit before I can even KO Lurantis, who just heals with Synthesis. Slowpoke manages to Yawn Lurantis while she is charging, but falls the next turn. I pull out Makuhita, who is KOed by Trumbeak but gives me enough time to Revive Salandit. Salandit finishes off Trumbeak but is left at really low HP. I switch to Cutiefly and begin pumping as many drugs as I can into its little body: X Defense, X Special Attack, X Speed, Dire Hit, etc, all while healing her up with Potions and Lurantis charges its Solar Blades. Cutiefly uses Silver Wind and two shots Lurantis.

Around this time both Makuhita and Cutiefly evolved. Pollen Puff turns out to be ridiculous at this Point of the game and Hariyama basically swept the Akala Island Grand Trial with Brick Break. Still looking for a 6th Pokemon, sadly nothing I caught really stood out to me, except a Crabrawler but I already had a Fighting-type :toast:

You kind of know that the Aether Foundation can't be trusted from the first cutscene in the game, but you see Lusamine and HMMMM I WONDER WHO THE BAD GUY IS, I WONDER IF SHE IS RELATED TO GLADION AND LILLIE, I WONDER IF SHE IS GOING TO BE CONTROLLED BY THE JELLYFISH HAT BUT BE REDEEMED AT THE END? Predictable but Pokemon surprises me with how heartless she ends up, a really cool villain, just a little predictable. This is what Ghetsis should have been. Getting TM Psychic was nice, Ribombee was even more strong and Slowpoke was finally 2HKOing things.

Ula'ula island starts with Hau nearly teamwiping me with his Raichu, thankfully Dartrix got a critical hit with Razor Leaf and teamed up with a revived Salandit to finish off the rest of his team. I found a wild Beldum, which was cool, but a Capture Rate of 3 meant it killed itself with Take Down before I could catch it. Thankfully the Totem Battle wasn't too bad when you have a Fire-type and Firium Z. Lmao having Charjabug as an ally but only knowing physical moves, feelsbadman. Got 2 Z-stone for the price of one too!

Dartrix finally evolved into Decidueye and Salandit into Salazzle. Salazzle was still being 2HKOed by any non-resisted attack, but Spirit Shackle turns out to be the best move ever. Sadly, the Totem Mimikyu is a critlord and managed to Shadow Claw down my team twice. Those stat boosts and that amazing coverage is too much. So I decided to get a little creative. Salazzle could take one non-crit Shadow Claw, so I had her Toxic it. I happened to have a Chansey on my team, so I just baited Shadow Claws and switched to Chansey until Toxic finished it :pimp:

AND THEN YUNGOOS GETS STOLEN OH SHIIIIIIT WE HAVE TO SAVE HIM after I explore this desert. I didn't end up fully exploring the desert because I'm dumb and can't figure out the puzzle and GOTTA SAVE YUNGOOS, but I did catch a Sandile. Even though the Sandile line is one of my favorites ever, I wasn't planning on using it. The Sandile had Moxie and an Adamant nature, and when life gives you lemonade you drink it. I named him Renekton and he is somewhat stubborn. I fed him a rare candy so he evolved into Krokorok right away. I think there was another Kahuna battle around this time, but all I can seem to remember is Ribombee KOing a bunch of Pokemon with Draining Kiss and Pollen Puff.

The raiding of the Aether Foundation really shows how this game can take what I thought would be stupid and annoying and make it really interesting. Gladion even becomes likable, Mr. Edgelord himself. Guzma almost swept me with his lucky and bad Masquerain, but I used a max revive on Salazzle and turned it around. The next cutscene was nice and honestly was a little heartbreaking, but Lusamine was a pushover. Lillie's new ponytail was nice too, but ffs how do her repels work when she doesn't have Pokemon???

On Poni Island, Slowpoke finally evolved into the one true bro and was finally OHKOing things. The last Kahuna battle, MUDSDALE HYPE. Sadly I was holding out on evolving Krokorok until he learned Earthquake, so he wasn't much of help. This one was honestly pretty tough. Hariyama took out Dugtrio just fine and Decidueye OHKOed Gastrodon, but that Mudsdale was a pain in the ass. It took the combined efforts of Slowbro (who was KOed by Tectonic Rage), Ribombee (who was KOed by Heavy Slam) and Decidueye to finish it off. Flygon tried to Dragonbreath Decidueye, who was at 20%, for the KO but only did like 10 damage and was OHKOed by Sinister Arrow Raid.

The final Island Trial was a joke, really, Sinister Arrow Raid OHKOed that level 40 Kommo-o. Fighting the trainers allowed Krokorok to finally learn Earthquake and evolved into Krookodile! Lillie and I played with out flutes on top of a mountain, Nebby ascended to godhood and we went to Distortion World mk. II. I was kind of hoping the final battle would be against Lusamine as the Ultra Beast, but nope its just her boosted Pokemon team with some very angry looks on their faces. This battle wasn't too tough, Salazzle, Krookodile and Decidueye put in a lot of work while Hariayama took out Bewear. The cutscenes between the battles are both very nice. I caught Solgaleo to fulfill his dream for adventure and then sent him to the box for eternity, sorry Nebby.

And now it is time to take on the POKEMON LEAGUE. Gladion and Hau didn't put up much of a fight against my team (Sylvally did do some damage before falling to the combined efforts of Slowbro and Salazzle.) Enter the Elite Four.

Hala lost three of his Pokemon to an epic Ribombee Quiver Dance strat, but somehow Poliwrath survived a +2 Dazzling Gleam and KOed with Waterfall. Decidueye finished off Poliwrath but was KOed by Primeape. Slowbro finished off the monkey but was KOed by Bewear. It was Hariayama vs Bewear, fighter vs fighter, in the ultimate showdown. Three words: boosted Close Combat

Olivia asked how many Earthquakes from Krookodile does it take to beat an Elite Four member? The answer is 7.

Acerola was by far the toughest of the Elite Four. First, SHE SPAMS CONFUSION. I wanted to Nasty Plot sweeper with Salazzle but Salazzle herself disagreed and smacked herself in the face three times. Krookodile took out Sableye but was slower than Froslass and Blizzard never misses. It took a lot of playing around to deal with Froslass. I eventually had to pull out a max revive on Salazzle to finish it with Flamethrower. From there, Decidueye took out Palossand and Salazzle finished off Dhelmise and Drifblim.

WHO'S THIS BITCH? She brought a golf club to a Pokemon battle? Salazzle roasted Skarm. Cutiefly and Krookodile teamed up to take out Mandibuzz. Krookodile made short work of Toucan Sam and stole his cereal. Oricorio then flinched him and Slowbro to death with Air Slash, but Salazzle finished her off. I revived Slowbro while Crobat KOed Salazzle and finished the battle with a Psychic.

I ascended to the iron throne, only for Kukui to challenge me.

This battle.

:v4:

This battle is amazing.

The music gets you pumped. He is the first trainer other than you I think who actually has six Pokemon. And he leads with a Stealth Rock user

I lead with Decidueye, who I had to switch out to Krookodile to take on Lycanroc. Wolf gets the Rocks up and throws a Crunch at Krookodile, but Earthquake OHKOed it. Braviary comes in and I switch to Slowbro, who tanks a Crush Claw. Braviary sets up a Tailwind while Slowbro does 60% with Ice Beam. Then he SWITCHES to Magnezone, who takes like 5% from Ice Beam. I switch back to Krookodile on the Thunderbolt and use Earthquake. Ninetales comes in, outspeeds Krookodile and hits Blizzard, no justice. Salazzle finishes off Ninetales with a couple Flamethrowers and forces some Full Restores in the process. She deals some damage to Snorlax but gets KOed by Snorlax's High Horsepower. Hariyama comes in and KOes with Close Combat. Braviary comes back out and OHKOes with Brave Bird, but deals a ton of damage to himself. Ribombee almost KOes Braviary with Dazzling Gleam but then Braviary kamikazes with Brave Bird.

I only have Decidueye. He has one Pokemon left.

He sends out Incineroar.

I sack Decidueye, reviving Krookodile while he Darkest Lariats my poor owl, and then TECTONIC RAAAAAGE

After becoming the champion, I sit back and relax as the last few scenes play out. I OHKO Tapu Koko with Sinister Arrow Raid so I can come back for it later. The final scene is legitimately moving and I realize that these were probably the best characters Pokemon had ever made.

tl;dr revive is a good item and screw Air Slash

Virion (Decidueye) (M) @ Decidium Z
Ability: Overgrow
Level: 57
- Shadow Ball
- Leaf Blade
- Sinister Arrow Raid
- Brave Bird

Boofers (Slowbro) (M) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Oblivious
Level: 56
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Water Pulse

Wumbo (Hariyama) (M) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 55
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
- Close Combat
- Rock Tomb

Pollyanna (Ribombee) (F) @ Buginium Z
Ability: Shield Dust
Level: 55
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pollen Puff
- Dazzling Gleam
- Quiver Dance
- Psychic

Maya (Salazzle) @ Firium Z
Ability: Corrosion
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb

Renekton (Krookodile) (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Moxie
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Dragon Claw
- Crunch

Game was good, still need to do a lot of things and find those two Z-stones i am missing

Last edited:
So this game is basically a gem of design. Like I expected some nostalgia when I went into playing it and maybe to enjoy that while powering levels. I can safely say after 20 hours in and taking my time at the second island to explore (I think it's recording idle hours though) that I'm very much obsessed with this game for different reasons.

• The game itself is unbelievably gorgeous ESPECIALLY because it doesn't attempt 3D. The environments are diverse island to island and they mostly feel like they belong. The island concept really let them have some extreme changes that felt really natural. I guess I'm not COMPLETELY sold on the plantation that's probably a couple miles from a volcano but otherwise this game has a map that makes as much sense as DPPt and is probably a contender with Ni No Kuni for simple beauty of design, once taking restrictions into mind (Ni No Kuni had the PS3's graphics). The sprite work (aka the 3d models) are flawlessly integrated. And the new ways for HMs (done by pre-assigned pokemon you call) is perfect. No more carrying around mons you don't want, who needlessly take strength away from your party.
  • Mons are stupidly diverse. I thought on route 1 that I was in for a long game because of Ledyba/Pikpek/Yungoos being the only things I could find but the game turned around and had wingul/rockruff/slowpoke/aforementioned/muk/magnemite all available by time you entered the school. This isn't even heavy searching really (well, Rockruff is). But even with this diversity, it makes perfect intuitive sense where to find everything.
  • Aloha designs... are about 50/50. I love Aloha Marowak. Not so much raticate. Garfield (Meowth) has an awesome first stage and awful second stage. The Diglet is endearing, but not enough for me to want one. Also, the new mons are really, really awesome for playthrough. IDK how all of them will be competitively, but the designs are diverse and there's almost always something cool around. The starters are ok, but man I love Rockruff/Stufful/Fomantis.
  • The difficulty of the game... Uh, I don't really know. I've not been wiped yet and it's not come close. Nevertheless I feel I've been challenged (and I have overleved a bit by grinding... but haven't even noticed because it hasn't felt like a chore). The particulars are the Water/Grass totem battles are lowkey ridiculous even overleveled. I have Razor Leaf Dartrix that nearly died (and had to be switched out) in two turns in the first one, causing a little strain until magnemite cleaned it up 5-7 turns later. The combination there was ridiculous, but not NEARLY as ridiculous as the grass one. Also pretty cool intro for that one. Sun+Solar Blade is fucking unreal deadly, even with me carrying dartrix/fomantis/Beefy Makuhita w/+defense nature/growlithe with intimidate. Admittedly, only Dartrix/Makuhita are overleveled from that core. The ability for a mon to break through statis due to affection is... questionable, tbh.
Storyline is pretty good. It's enough to keep me interested and it doesn't play in the Aether v Skull dynamic hard enough to give everything away. It's enough to be interesting even if you suspect what's going on. Characters are good, wish they'd use some of them more. Lana best girl. And the progress overall is really well-paced.

Game's instantly in the top 2 pokemon main series for me with this. Only real competition in my mind is Emerald.

So I just beat Halu? the Ground type Kahuna, and it's taken me about seventeen hours of play time to get that far. I have no idea how close I am to the end, but I hope there is at least five hours worth of main story left.

I've really enjoyed it so far, and probably my favorite part is the difficulty increase. Granted I haven't beat the game yet, but it strikes a nice balance in how difficult it is. Gen 5 and 6 were super easy imo, and Moon punishes teams that stack weaknesses just through how strong the totem Pokemon are. I'll be crushed if the Elite Four or their equivalents have only 4 Pokemon though.

Probably the strangest moment I've had in the game was during a double battle with Hau. It was in Aether Paradise after you take the elevater up from the basement and a bunch of Grunts ambush you. I sent out my Ribombee, Hau sent out his Raichu, and the Aether goons sent out a Pelipper and a Mudsdale (I think, it was some mono ground type). It went like this: Raichu knocks out Pelipper, Ribombee damages Mudsdale, Mudsdale knocks out Raichu. So Hau sends out his Primarina and the next turn I use Dazzling gleam on the Mudsdale again and it survived with like thirty percent left. Hau decides to use Hydro Vortex which I was like "lol wut overkill" but inexplicably attacked MY RIBOMBEE and one shotted him. So naturally I sent out Decidueye and knocked out Primarina. Always watch your back when battling with Hau, there is evil behind that smile.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I just finished the main story a couple of hours ago, the game time was ~29 hours, and I haven't stopped playing it. I would actually skip sleeping just to continue playing this game, it's that fun.
As for the difficulty, it's definitely a step up from gen 6, I remember having to use a Revive more than once. Another thing that made it more difficult was that I decided not to use the EXP Share. This means that when the level creeps started to happen around the third & fourth islands, I was usually 7-12 levels under, even after fighting all the trainers. This actually made me use a lot of strategies such as Leech Seed stalling with Trevenant or Nuzzle set ups with Alola Raichu. I ended up finishing the game like this.

Some fights I do remember having difficulty was Totem Lurantis, the ally Pokemon it sent were annoying, especially Castform. Then those 1 turn Solar Blades were too much, it even had a Power Herb which actually KO'd my Torracat at 60HP. I had to Flame Charge Torracat to stand a chance against it. Totem Mimikyu, it could one shot all of my team so I had to lower its speed first so that Pikachu can come in to Nuzzle, getting rid of the Lum Berry. Then Whiscash Scalds it for the burn then I finish it off with Trevenant Shadow Claw. Of all Pokemon, Guzma's Masquerain almost made me lose, those SpA buffs tho. Other than that, there were a lot of fights in the game I expected to be harder, namely Lusamine since I basically one shot half of her team 8 levels under. I thought the Elite 4 would be harder until I accidentally used Scald on Pallossand, which left Incineroar to everything.

My team when I beat the main story was:
Level 51 Incineroar (Careful)
Level 51 Raichu-A (Bashful(cuz Pichu too rare to hunt a Timid one))
Level 52 Whiscash (Jolly)
Level 51 Trevenant (Lonely)
Level 51 Archeops (Hasty)
Level 52 Sudowoodo (Sassy)
Special thanks to the Crabrawler I used till the 3rd island.

Overall, this game is really fun & I cannot wait to get into the online & competitive parts of it. Definitely worth playing.

Well, I got the game just yesterday and I have recently beat Ilima's trial. On Route 3 looking for Lillie.

I'm taking my time with the game and not trying to speed run or anything, which usually takes me 3-4 days of game time. Though Alola's pretty interesting, and I am trying something new with my 'mons (trying to find good natures, for example), so it might take me even longer lol

Team so far:

Lvl: 19 Brionne
Lvl: 16 Pichu (still waiting for it to evolve....)
Lvl: 16 Grubbin
Lvl: 16 Trumbeak

A pretty well rounded team so far I'd say. The game is definitely harder than XY or ORAS, though, and these trials are pretty fun compared to Gym Leaders.

Just beat the Ghost trial and caught a Mimikyu. My joystick has also broken while I was walking in circles trying to find it. Thanks Mimikyu.

Level 42 Primarina
Level 41 Lycanroc (Midnight)
Level 41 Tsareena
Level 41 Salazzle
Level 41 Bewear
Level 42 Palossand

I think I'll replace Bewear with a Kommo-o when I get to it (not sure how far away - please don't be post Aether story line), and Palossand with either my Ribombee or Mimikyu. Yes, that means I'd have two Fairies but fuck it they're so damn cute. Problem is deciding which lol. Though I've been tempted to restart my game to try another starter and team and use different Pokemon, but I've grown attached to these losers. I was going to replace Lycanroc with Minior (who just seems so much better statistically), but the edgy edgy edgelord has really grown on me.

Also ...

"Wild Beldum is calling for help!" WHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

So, I finished the game a few hours ago. Absolutely wonderful experience. All of the big new changes make the game immensely fun and interesting. All the little additions make the game extremely satisfying for veteran players seeing mechanics streamlined. The game's difficulty is also a welcomed upgrade. I never wiped, but there were plenty of moments where I had to go "Okay, settle down and think for a second" to deal with some trainers and totems. The elite 4 felt genuinely challenging as well. This is also considering I had two pseudo legendaries on my team. It was very exciting becoming champion, for sure.

Final team beating the elite 4 at 30 hours of play time, as well as some general thoughts:

"Rooty Shooty"
Decidueyes Level 60
Spirit Shackle
Leaf Blade
Grass Knot
Brave Bird

I have two traditions I've maintained since I was a little kid: 1) Get the version listed second. 2) Pick the Grass starter for the first playthrough. Decidueyes stayed very quiet the entire game, really. It was in the party and never left which led to it usually having a few levels on his fellow team members. Thankfully the gen 5 level mechanics prevented this from getting out of control. Really, he was more of the "switch in a bad situation" button rather than anything I outright had to train, as expected of a starter. Would recommend.

"Corroboros"
Salazzle Level 58
Flamethrower
Sludge Bomb
Dragon Pulse
Nasty Plot

Took a while to chain a female one, but I was rewarded with a Modest female Salandit. Salandit was a bit of a pain to raise, but Salazzle was a welcomed source of speed and special attacks. Would recommend.

"Heftpod"
Golisopod Level 58
First Impression
Liquidation
Leech Life
Sucker Punch

Wimpod was a pain and Emergency Exit was frequently annoying, but the raw power was awesome. Not on par with Gyarados in terms of time invested -> reward, but I'm glad I used it. Would recommend

"Amiibear"
Bewear Level 57
Double Edge
Hammer Arm
Rock Tomb
Shadow Claw

God, Stufful is impossible to find. If you can find one and you can tell that it's Fluffy, it's fantastic. Otherwise, probably not the time spent searching. Would recommend if stumbled across.

"Martensite"
Metagross Level 56
Zen Headbutt
Meteor Mash
Hammer Arm
Psychic

Decidueyes is one of the few things that can false swipe a Beldum without it dieing so I figured I'd try and catch it. I got a bunch of timer and dusk balls ready... only for the first timer ball to catch it. This is probably going to be hell to catch if you're not as lucky as I was, but Metang's awesome. Psychic carries you for miles and Corkscrew Crash Metal Claw is usable. Would recommend if you can actually catch

"Clock Out"
Garchomp Level 57
Dragon Claw
Bulldoze
Rock Tomb
Swords Dance

DON'T TRY AND GET A GABITE. Holy shit, DO NOT TRY AND GET A GABITE. It is pain. I sat there for upwards of an hour trying to get a Trapinch to call a Gabite. Gabite itself is pretty terrible in game, but obviously Garchomp was a beast once it evolved (in the midst of Poni Canyon). Huge help vs the Elite four. Swept the Olivia clean after two sds on her Relecanth. Would have swept flying girl if Rock Tomb didn't miss. Worth all the time I spent finding one? Prooobably not. Would not recommend.

Special mentions:
These are Pokemon I used during the game that were fun team members rotating in and out

Fattabra - Alakazam - Trained up an Abra and ran into the Kadabra problem. Don't bother with Abra in game with that change, imo
Makuhita - OHKOed the totem and probably would have been a beast if I didn't want to use other mons
Birbunder - Pelliper - I had to train up a Drizzle Pelliper! Wingull was suprisingly great with Wing Attack. Helped vs Lurantis with the Rain
TheDigKahuna - Diglett - Alolan Diglett is kinda ass. Tried raising him and it didn't work
Mr.Deathy - Ribombee - Cutiefly and Ribombee are fantastic. Mine beat the Fighting kahuna single handedly.
Wishbone - Marowak - Had a thick club when I caught it. Maimed the Fire trial and Olivia's Kahuna battle
Tiggy-Beag - Persian - Technician Bite is great early game
Snarlmin - Archen - Archen's cool! Not nearly as broken as in Gen 5 though, even with early Acrobatics TM. Dropped it just a bit shy of its evolution to fit Gabite on.
The Tan Fam - Dugtrio - I found a Shiny Dugtrio searching for Gabite which was awesome.

Just bred synchers and caught an HP Ice Nihilego. Very excited for the rest of the postgame content!

Clocked in at around 34 hours when I cleared the game yesterday. OH BOY, THIS WAS... HELLISH AT TIMES. I used the experience share, and was rotating through many different pokemon, around 24 in total. Needless to say, I was hideously underleveled at various points in the game, but it only really caught up on the third island. When I set foot there, YE GODS...

Fuck you, Hau! Just... Fuck you and your Alolan Raichu. I only got past that thing with my Mudbray because it got a low damage roll with Psychic. That was BS. Then came the Vikavolt which was complete ass, then Guzma kept being an asshole. Keep in mind, my crew was lv. 26 when I got to Guzma round 1... and it only went downhill from there, culminating in my crew being lv. 34 when facing off against final Guzma and Lusamine, who kept being assholes until I got lucky with the X items. Final Lusamine was around lv. 41 for my team, and only because I spent a few hours trying to grind everyone up. Elite 4 was lv. 45, and another few hours spent grinding because oh how there's ZERO trainers, aside from two rival battles, between Lusamine and the Elite 4. Fuck that noise.

Also, Totem Lurantis and totem Kommo-o deserve to burn in hell. That is all.

The team I had on hand when I cleared the Elite 4 was:

Primarina lv. 50 (Sparkling Aria, Moonblast, Energy Ball, Ice Beam)
Gyarados lv. 48 (Aqua Tail, Ice Fang, Crunch, Dragon Dance)
Mismagius lv. 49 (Shadow Ball, Power Gem, Mystical Fire, Psychic)
Crabominable lv. 48 (Ice Hammer, Crabhammer, Brick Break, Payback)
Exeggutor lv. 47 (Energy Ball, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower)
Kommo-o lv. 49 (Flamethrower, Sky Uppercut, Clanging Scales, Poison Jab)

Other members that I rotated through included: Gumshoos, Drifblim, Lurantis, Wishiwashi, Doublades (Thanks to QR Codes), Salazzle, Archeops, Hariyama, Mudsdale, Shelgon, Ribombee, Golisopod, Toucannon, and Zygarde (This thing was super clutch when I needed it to be. Thousand Arrows helped a lot, and it definitely deserves MVP for the playthrough, next to Wishiwashi and Golisopod.)

Next time I do a playthrough, I am cutting the team down to 12 members, not this obscene number, and I even dropped Raticate and Ledyba because they were complete ass. Overall, this was a fun game, a bit frustrating at times and dickish, but fun. It might just rival Platinum for favorite... But who knows.

Six hours of playtime in and now I'm leaving the first island after finishing the first Grand Trial. I'm enjoying how the game feels "new" to me. It's like I'm playing Pokemon for the first time, like when I picked up Yellow or Colosseum. Also, I'm glad they retained a lot of the time-saving streamlined features like GTS, EXP. Share, infinite TMs, etc.

As usual, this games feels super easy like previous games, but that's to be expected: it's Pokemon, not chess. You can't make rock-paper-scissors hard, unless you go out of your way to make r/p/s hard. The fact you have so many options for Pokemon from in-games routes + GTS and the bosses so far still insist on using mono teams doesn't help the difficulty.

Just picked up Popplio and Litten off the GTS after offering up two Kadabras so I'm excited what the game has in store for me.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's weird how the smallest things can make me giddy, due to not having done an in-game run in so long, which is likely contributing to the glacial pace of my playthrough. I left off at the point where you pick up TM49, and I'm already enjoyed so much...Abra being found so early is the coolest thing I've noticed so far.

I'm planning to stick to as many in-game trades and gifts as possible, and I guess they're plentiful in this pair of games? Choosing a final team is going to be tough with so many options....

Finished Elite 4 at 17:30 hours of play time.

Spent about 3-4 hours trying to obtain a power brace + power anklet for EV training, then EV training Sogaleo for 252 atk, 252spe.
It was a ridiculous grind to 32 BP for Power Brace + Power Anklet via Battle Royales using Primarina, Magnezone, Magmar since I had 3 slow pokemon with no priority moves and no "Protect". I gained maybe average 2 BP per battle.

Ending team was

Primarina@Primarium
- Bubblebeam
- Sparkling Aria
- Hydro pump
- Moonblast

Sogaleo@Amulet Coin
Adamant
- Sunsteel strike
- Iron head
- Zen headbutt
- Crunch

Magnezone@Electrium
- discharge
- Thunder

+ 3x useless fillers (magmar, fearow, salandit)

Screw balanced teams because x-special, x-speed, etc. are basically a free Nasty Plot/Agility without using up a move slot. x-special + Z-move does as much damage as using a Z-move twice which is pretty broken.

Beat the grass totem by catching a Magmar, using a x-special, and one shotting it with Z-fire spin.
Beat the electric totem by using x-special on Primarium then one shotting it with torrent boosted Z-bubblebeam.

Beat the champion with Solgaleo by using a X-attack, X-speed vs lycanroc, then one shot all of his pokemon.

TLDR: X-special is OP

So, I assume most people know of the Bagon calling for help and spawning a Salamence at an early level on the first island. If you didn't know, well there it is.
Took 6 hours to even find a bagon, but I manage to find my first shiny in the game before hand

I've never been so angry in finding a shiny in my life

EDIT: eventually found bagon, paralyzed it, and was told Pokemon cant call for help after they have a status condition. Cool.

9 hours and 30 mins clocked in and more than half of it was finding a bagon and fucking it up

EDIT 2: Found another bagon while in commute to class and properly chaining for mence
Praying on not fucking it up

EDIT 3: I RAN OUT OF PP AND FUCKED IT UP

EDIT 4: Found yet another bagon, mence spawned, caught mence

#373 Salamence [Impish]
IVs: 22 - 31 / 30, 31 / 18 - 28 / 31 / 0 - 6 / 23 - 31
Stats at Lv.9: 38 / 32 / 23 / 24 / 19 / 25

Last edited:
"The way Lana looked in that last battle stuck out in your mind" I now ship this.

Are these captain battles which get you the styles (where can you actually see them?) only once per day, because I can't find Kiawe or Ilima.

Also, I've been playing for how long now and just realized where the Amulet Coin is? What other super important items have I missed, damn it. I could've been rolling in bank right now ... Oh, and I replaced Palossand with Rimbombee. Got to level her back up now. Why did I do this? Because Ribombee's a cutie, that's why.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Magnemite is a god just like in BW2. It comes early, has a good matchup against a ton of important fights (and not important ones like Skull grunts), gets T-Wave like immediately for utility, and it can get Charge Beam to replace Thundershock if you find the TM. It also lets you cheese Totem Mimikyu with Corkscrew Crash, which trivializes an otherwise a scary fight.

Pelipper's also pretty awesome if you got one with Drizzle. Just spam Scald (which you get early btw) and go to town.

I'm like TheMantyke and only use Decidueye as a panic button, since Mangemite/Mangeton or Pelipper handle most fights.

Got a Wishiwashi but I never feel the need to use it because of Pelipper. Might box it but for now it's a panic bottom holding Waterium-Z.

Grimer-A is surprisingly solid, especially with early STAB Bite. I caught one holding Black Sludge early on and I've been using it for my entire run. Fell off in usefulness in the 20s, but it jumped back after evolving.

The game actually makes me use a full team for once, which is cool.

Some Totems are scary. Haven't lost to one yet but shout-outs to Lurantis for being the scariest and Vikavolt for being the most annoying.

Guzma is a joke of a recurring boss.

Guzma's first 2 fights were jokes, but I had trouble with his 3rd one. You know, the one where he finally got 4 pokemon and not relying on his golisopod and ~level 30/36 ariados~

Granted, it helped that the level curve started getting ahead of me (not using the exp share and havent grinded up pokemonamie). Even his (now level 40) ariados still took a few hits before going down, since I was ~3-4 levels off from him.

Lusamine was also kind of tough for me. I had counters in place, but my team did take a beating and some took longer to beat than others. Mismagius & Lilligant in particular were laying into me hard & I was lucky that Bewear decided to waste a turn on baby doll eyes. Also like everyone required 2-3 hits due to level disadvantage.

Vikavolt wasn't too hard but I am very confused as to why they didn't give it a special move. Charjabug is literally designed for this fight, but Battery does nothing for it and all ti does is provide extra damage. Mudsdale is basically a hard counter (I used smack down passimian to make the neutral ground attacks possible) though it was still slow going.
Mimikyu, on the other hand, was a terror. I went through a lot of resources to stay afloat and it still very nearly killed me, the closest to a full party wipe i've come. I basically had to rely on my Mudsdale's stamina boosts and even then it died and needed reviving; round 2 i just had ot hope it didnt proc a crit. And then after that disaster I still had to deal with the Haunter who was just constantly throwing out hypnosis & night shade all fight. Only reason I didnt kill it earlier is because Mimikyu was the bigger offensive threat and I knew it could also summon gengars.

Here are my thoughts on the game after completing 3/4s of it.

-The Alola region is great, much better than Kalos from my experience so far. Unlike Kalos, where you explore all but 2 of the main locations during the story, Alola has many locations that the player must visit / discover on their own (i.e Ten Carat Hill), forcing the player to explore more, which I think is a good thing.

-Zygarde quest is a bit tedious, but I think its a good incentive to make the player explore more. Its pretty rewarding too since you get a much stronger Zygarde when you get more cells / cores (I already have a Zygarde 50% form with 4/5 of its signature moves). That being said, I have no idea how I turn the cells into Zygarde 10% form, the Zygarde form I actually wanted to use :(

-New mons all have great designs, though I feel all of them have core issues that harm them, whether it be stats, typing, movepools or a combination of the 3.

-The Alola forms are all pretty good. I especially love using Maroawk, as its typing allows it to completely counter a lot of problematic pokemon like Pinsir and everything in the electric trial. I was lucky enough to get a thick Club as well, allowing Maroawk to OHKO everything. Alolan Sandslash has also been pretty decent. Haven't used the others though they seem like they would be fun to tinker around with post game.

-This game is relatively difficult compared to past pokemon games, though that isn't saying much admittingly. The totem fights are much more difficult than gym leader battles. While some are a total joke if you have the right mon (Vikavolt), most are super difficult (Mimickyu, Lurantis, Wishiwashi have all been pretty difficult for me). Boss fights are also a fair bit more difficult as well. I had trouble with Captain Illma the first time since 3 of my mons were weak to ember and while Guzma's first 2 fights were a joke, the battle at aether paradise was brutal for me. While his Golisopod, Pinsir, and Ariados didn't do too much damage, his Masquerain pretty much swept me, OHKOing my entire team, including things like my weakened Magneton and Zygarde. This is the first time since I faced Whitney's Miltank in Gold I lost an in-game battle, which was pretty shocking.

-Story is good so far, though there are a ton of plotholes that drag it down honestly.

I've beaten the game and that was great but I am reeling from how the only reliable trainer EXP & Money sources are the e4 and the battle buffet

i dont want to beat up gumshoos for the rest of my life!

I finished the main game this evening (about 27 hours of playtime, I think? Spent most of last night catching Pokemon for Poke Pelago and the Lucky Egg and my timer was at 31 hours when I stopped tonight), and I'm pretty impressed with what Game Freak's done.

There are a handful of battles that I had to stop to think on, compared to XY's difficulty (or lack thereof). Part of the issue may be that most of the Pokemon I chose for my team were either frail, slow, or had a bad match-up against who I was facing. It also seemed to me that the AI was reading your moves at times (like knowing when you picked a damaging move to smack you with Sucker Punch or boosting when you clicked Protect), which caused some issues. The Totem Lurantis fight was just dumb, I don't know why they thought that was a good idea; also struggled against Mimikyu's a bit, but that was more being caught off-guard at how fast it can be. That being said, I went into the last battles feeling underleveled but didn't have a lot of issues until the very last one.

The plot and characters were both rather engaging, fairly on par with Gen V's story. All the music and atmospheres were very appropriate for whatever's going on at the time. It really put you in the moment and made you emotionally conscious. The amount of cutscenes can wear on you very easily sometimes, though (looking at you, credits sequence), when all you want to do is heal and/or save. I do wish the TM distribution was better; all the good ones aren't until the aftergame (where you have to do go against some pretty high-level Trainers first).

Overall I think this is a very polished game, but there were a few spots that were missed and could've made the experience more enjoyable overall. I have the entire aftergame ahead of me but I want to take my time and raise up some Pokemon first.

Komala, lv. 56 @ Silk Scarf
Impish, Comatose
- Yawn
- Return
- Brick Break / Bulldoze
- Shadow Claw

This guy was fun. Low Speed sucked but he pummeled shit and yawned in the face of status. Many a time the AI would repeatedly attempt using only Hypnosis or Thunder Wave and let me break them.

Wishiwashi, lv. 59 @ Mystic Water
Modest, Schooling
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Bulldoze
- Protect / Endeavor

This guy was a challenge. Low Speed didn't do any favors until I got Endeavor (which saved my ass at the start of the League), but Bulldoze helped with that, and Scald as an early STAB was amazing. Often used as a tank but fell a bit short of my expectations.

Salazzle, lv. 60 @ Charcoal
Naughty, Corrosion
- Toxic
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower

She was okay as a Salandit but once she evolved she pulled a lot of weight. Nasty Plot and Toxic helped wear down threats in a pinch. Low defenses but quad-resisting Bug and Grass attacks was useful. If you need a Fire-type and can find a female Salandit, I strongly suggest using it.

Vikavolt, lv. 60 @ Expert Belt
Serious, Levitate
- Agility
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt

Charjabug levels up at the Vast Poni Canyon. Which is one of the last areas of the game. Fortunately once you get Eviolite it pulls its own weight in spades until then. Vikavolt hits like a nuke 90% of the time (the other 10% it gets outsped or just falls short). Still an awesome design and one of my new favorites.

Lycanroc, lv. 61 @ Hard Stone
Lonely, Sand Rush
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock
- Brick Break

Accelerock has saved my butt so many times it's not funny. It's frail, sure, but it gets some really great STAB moves at just the right levels to consistently contribute. Stone Miss is Stone Miss, but it hurts. Good dog.

Decidueye, lv. 62 @ Decidium Z
Jolly, Overgrow
- Roost
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackle
- Sucker Punch

I love this guy. Rowlet's adorable and Decidueye has some very nice qualities to it (though having Razor Leaf until level 44 is not one of them). Often the main Z-Move user, but mainly because Sinister Arrow Raid is too cool to pass up using (just change to Grassium Z before fighting a bulky Normal-type, it'll save you trouble). Sucker Punch helped tremendously against Psychic-types later in the game, like Hau's Raichu and a certain aftergame battle they throw at you if you try to get the good TMs right away like I did.

I wanna talk about how I finally beat Totem Lurantis after losing to it twice... I had to paralyze it and the Trumbeak with Charjabug, then sacced it to get out Stufful and gave it an X-Attack and used the Fighting Z-Move on Lurantis, only for it to live with a little HP remanining! Cutifly was able to outspeed it and kill it thankfully. But yeah that battle was awful, especially when Castform came out. Totem Wishiwashi wasn't as bad for me from what I remember, I don't know why others are struggling...

I just beat Sophocles. My team is:
- a level 31 Lax Dartrix, 59 atk
- a level 30 Naive Alolan Grimer, 64 atk
- a level 31 Lax Ribombee, 71 spatk
- a level 31 Careful Charjabug, 63 atk
- a level 31 Lax Lycanroc, 84 atk
- a level 31 Lonely Bewear, 99 atk!!!

I've never had my starter pokemon be my WEAKEST pokemon! And I don't think I've ever had 3 pokemon all share the same shitty nature either. Stufful and Rockruff were both adorable, and now they're op af, which is cool. Loving the game!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)