SPOILERS! Sun and Moon SQSA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that while they list both sun stones and moon stones avaiable though pickup, I have got like 4 moon stones, but no sun stones. Although neither destiny knot yet.

Anyone can confirm the sun and moon stones are exclusive to sun and moon, respectively? If that's the case, someone can confirm the destiny knot can appear in moon too?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Can you catch wild Jangmo-o before completing the Vast Poni Canyon trial?
Yes, he should be a rare (5%) encounter in the Grass throughout Vast Poni Canyon. He shouldn't be locked behind the trial. He's not found inside the cave, only outside.

So I'm at Mount Lanakila, and I'm surprisingly underleveled and have no trainers left to battle, are the Mount Lanakila wilds with Exp Share On my best hope for grinding 5 levels?
Aside from the throwing at the E4 method, yes. Do it in the caves, Golbat gives more EXP than the Ice type outside.

I've noticed that while they list both sun stones and moon stones avaiable though pickup, I have got like 4 moon stones, but no sun stones. Although neither destiny knot yet.

Anyone can confirm the sun and moon stones are exclusive to sun and moon, respectively? If that's the case, someone can confirm the destiny knot can appear in moon too?
I've had 4 sun stones and two moon stones so far, in Moon. No destiny knots yet but they're rarer.

Aside from the throwing at the E4 method, yes. Do it in the caves, Golbat gives more EXP than the Ice type outside.
i honestly found vast poni canyon to be a far better pre-e4 grind location than mount lanakila. for a "victory road" location, lanakila was very lackluster exp-grinding wise. in fact, after the e4 (which i beat with ~lv 50 pokemon), i had to grind poni canyon for a bit longer because i couldnt get past the two zygard npcs (cant remember their names) that challenge you as you enter the post-e4 poni area

Has there been a change in breeding mechanics? When looking at LC movesets I saw a Klink with Shift Gear and Gear Grind and a Rufflet with Brave Bird, both of which used to be unobtainable at level 5

where is the best place to ev train for sp. atk? i got fed up with grinding magnemites with sturdy in hau'oli city.
you have ghasty in the cementery

other options could be psyduck (brooklet hill grass, seaweed cave surfing) and petillil in melemele meadow if you have moon.

HOWEVER, the easiest solution, that only involves using some extra math, is to give the pokemon to EV train power lens and train the other EV you want to train, like, you want to train sp.att and speed, give it power lens and fight against stuff that gives speed EVs, since power lens will still give you sp.att EVs (8 sp. att EV plus 1 speed EV)

if you're giving EVs to the whole party, psyduck is the best as the most dangerous stuff it can pull are confusion status from confusion and water pulse. A high lv smearge can run own tempo plus false swipe and some move to kill the ducks. ghastly is more difficult to false swipe and can paralyze, sleep and reduce PP, and petillil has also nasty stuff

I'll give a more in-deep look at the EV yield table, but I would like to have the S.O.S. call chance table for find the best option

Psyduck already has a call chance of 15, so is probably the real best option

Last edited:
am i right in that the ev cap is still 252, and no longer 255, so there's no risk in overtraining a stat and losing that last 4 EVs in whatever third stat you need

am i right in that the ev cap is still 252, and no longer 255, so there's no risk in overtraining a stat and losing that last 4 EVs in whatever third stat you need

EV train two stats until you have sure they would be far past 255, then see if training another different stat appears in the status screen

I've read about SOS chaining something I have questions about:
- When you send a Pokémon with Synchronize on the field and chain for allies, the allies will be affected by Synchronize.
However, the nature that they will have 50% of the time is the nature of the first party Pokémon.
So, does that mean, that if I lead with a false swiper, change pokemon after weakening, continue the chain with a different pokemon, then eventually change back to the synchronizer, the next summoned pokemon will have 50% of getting the specific nature, but from the false swiper (original lead pokemon) instead of the synchronizer pokemon?

Last edited:

I have Moon and picked up a Sun Stone first try, Moon Stone a few encounters later, then eventually Destiny Knot. I had 5 level 8-9 Pickup Meowths in my party.

Can you catch wild Jangmo-o before completing the Vast Poni Canyon trial?
Yep, I encountered a Jangmo-o at the last patch of grass before the trainers at the entrance of the trial cave, which called a Kommo-o that I caught.

EV train two stats until you have sure they would be far past 255, then see if training another different stat appears in the status screen

I've read about SOS chaining something I have questions about:

So, does that mean, that if I lead with a false swiper, change pokemon after weakening, continue the chain with a different pokemon, then eventually change back to the synchronizer, the next summoned pokemon will have 50% of getting the specific nature, but from the false swiper (original lead pokemon) instead of the synchronizer pokemon?
Yes, the nature of the summoned wild Pokemon has a 50% chance to be that of the Pokemon in the first slot of your party. If you want the wild Pokemon to have the same nature as your Synchronize Pokemon, you can do that by having the Synchronize Pokemon in your first slot. For example, if you lead with an adamant non-Synchronize Pokemon and switch to your modest Synchronize Pokemon, the next summoned Pokemon will still have a 50% chance to be adamant, not modest.

Am I correct in assuming the multiplicative effect SOS battles have on your EV gain does not stack? As in you take your Xurkitree with a power lens into battle against a Haunter, which would give you 10 Sp. Atk EVs, and then SOS-ing for more would only ever give 20 EVs? Not endlessly multiplying.

Am I correct in assuming the multiplicative effect SOS battles have on your EV gain does not stack? As in you take your Xurkitree with a power lens into battle against a Haunter, which would give you 10 Sp. Atk EVs, and then SOS-ing for more would only ever give 20 EVs? Not endlessly multiplying.
Correct, SOS is just 2x as normal.

Hi guys, im experamenting with the new Hail options and I was wondering if anyone had a reccomendation for a good pivot for my team..

Some things to consider
-team so far has multiple weaknesses to fire, rock, and steel
-team so far has wish, hazzard, spin, and dual screen support
-team is mostly a stall team so far, with little offensive presence
-after pivot is decided there is 1 more spot on the team left for coverage

I was thinking about assault vest Kommo-o, because its got really good looking bulk, neutrallity to fighting and steel and resistance too fire and rock... also its got overcoat for hail, dragon tail for hazard shuffeling and phasing, and its weaknesses too ice and fairy make it a good pivot to/from both ninetales and sandslash...

Any opinions / alternative reccomendations?

A few more questions...

1) Does Ditto have three guaranteed IVs at 31 like other Pokemon that cannot hatch?
2) At which amount of summoned Pokemon during an S.O.S. Chain one can be confident (as in "it's very likely") that the next summoned Pokemon has four IVs at 31? Do we have to keep the original wild Pokemon alive during the whole chain?
3) Is there any recommended way to farm Heart Scales? The one thing I've thought of is getting six Butterfree with Compoundeyes and Thief to get up to six per battle, but is there any better method?

A few more questions...

1) Does Ditto have three guaranteed IVs at 31 like other Pokemon that cannot hatch?
2) At which amount of summoned Pokemon during an S.O.S. Chain one can be confident (as in "it's very likely") that the next summoned Pokemon has four IVs at 31? Do we have to keep the original wild Pokemon alive during the whole chain?
3) Is there any recommended way to farm Heart Scales? The one thing I've thought of is getting six Butterfree with Compoundeyes and Thief to get up to six per battle, but is there any better method?
1. i received a ditto from wonder trade that was apparently caught at the correct place, it had no 31 IVs. i havent caught any dittos of my own
2. you can KO the original wild pokemon as long as the summoned pokemon is from the same family as the original
3. i'm sure just fishing with a thief pokemon is the easiest, luvdisc are like 70% encounter rate at route 9

A few more questions...

1) No
2) 100% likely starting at the 31st summoned Pokemon. The chain continues as long as any Pokemon remain on the field, you don't have to keep the original around forever.
3) Restaurant in Koni City gives you two after you have a meal for $1040 or so. I believe there's no daily limit.

Is the Poke Pelago hot springs isle faster than running around like a fool with a flame body Pokemon for hatching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)