Metagame Sun in LC

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
~~SUN~~

Adapted and updated from DTC 's original thread; Discussion points stolen from Rowan ; approved by macle

Sun is commonly considered to be the most powerful and offensive weather. Not only is the common Vulpix + Bellsprout core incredibly threatening, but those two Pokemon alone can be thrown onto any team to instantly apply large amounts of offensive pressure onto the opponent. Other common Pokemon can have Sunny Day slapped onto their standard set and support a Sun team, some even making use of Sun’s signature item, Heat Rock, which extends the duration of Sun from 5 turns to 8 turns. The Fire-type power boost that comes along with Sun's presence can turn already threatening Fire-type sweepers into complete monsters and Sun also weakens Water-type attacks, allowing said Fire-types to survive super effective hits they otherwise would not.

Setters
Unlike Rain, Sun setters can make good use of the weather's signature item, Heat Rock, to allow Chlorophyll sweepers plenty of time to clean through the opposing team.

Vulpix

Vulpix is the center of any Sun-based offense thanks to its ability, Drought, which instantly summons Sun upon switch in. Its solid Speed and Special Attack stats only further enhance Vulpix’s viability and Sun boosts the power of its Fire-type STAB moves. It can also extend Drought's effects via Heat Rock, to provide even more support for its Sun abusing brethren.

Mienfoo

Mienfoo can make use of its good bulk and pivoting capabilities to set up a Sunny Day and proceed to cripple an opposing wall with Knock Off or U-turn into one of Little Cup’s various threatening Sun sweepers. 17 Speed lets it outspeed a majority of the metagame and the unexpectedness of Sunny Day Mienfoo can effectively destroy an opponent's mind.

Cottonee

Cottonee’s access to Prankster allow it to efficiently set up Sunny Day prior to an opponent’s attack and the variety of other support moves Cottonee has to offer (Stun Spore, Encore, Taunt, Memento, etc.) make it a fantastic option on any Sun team. It can also hit 17 Speed, a great Speed tier which allows Cottonee to outpace even a maximum Speed Fletchling’s priority Acrobatics, and can make great use of Heat Rock in tandem with Prankster.

Riolu / Purrloin

Riolu and Purrloin have access to a +1 Sunny Day thanks to Prankster; however, neither Pokemon can provide the same level of support as Cottonee. Both of these Pokemon can effectively run Heat Rock though to extend Sun’s duration and continuously provide quick Sun support throughout a game.

Sweepers
Little Cup is home to a plethora of Grass- and Fire-type Pokemon that can abuse Sun to plow through opposing teams.

Bellsprout

Bellsprout is the most common Sun sweeper and for good reason. Chlorophyll boosts Bellsprout’s Speed stat to a blistering 26 Speed and it has access to Sludge Bomb, Sleep Powder, a 1-turn Solarbeam, and a 150 base power Fire-type move (Weather Ball).

Oddish / Bulbasaur

Both Oddish and Bulbasaur have access to Chlorophyll and possess significantly more bulk than Bellsprout, as well as more Special Attack and more Speed, respectively. However, both Oddish and Bulbasaur have to rely on Hidden Power Fire, an inferior option to Weather Ball, for coverage. Do note, however, that Hidden Power Fire can deal damage to Chespin, while Weather Ball is rendered useless by the ability Bulletproof.

Ponyta

Ponyta can make great use of Sun, abusing its 19 Speed and access to Solarbeam to deal with Pokemon that otherwise threaten it, such as bulky Water- and Rock-types. It can also run a bulky wall set that makes use of Morning Sun’s added recovery under the Sun to sustain Ponyta’s longevity.

Charmander

Charmander is unique under the Sun due to its ability, Solar Power. As the only Pokemon in Little Cup to have Solar Power and its STAB Fire-type moves boosted, Charmander can effectively plow through opposing teams with its combination of power and 17 Speed.

Larvesta

Larvesta is a great pivot and, under the Sun, its already powerful Flare Blitz gets further boosted. It can act as a check to bulky Fighting-types, thanks to Flame Body, that can otherwise shrug off a hit from Bellsprout and other common Chlorophyll sweepers.

Other
Sun, just like other weathers, has some key weaknesses that can be neutralized simply by including one or two of the following Pokemon on a Sun team.

Archen

Archen is a fantastic addition to any Sun team because it doesn't fall prey to the common FletchDig core that plagues the Fire- and Grass-types that intend to abuse Sun. It also has its Electric-, Ice-, and Water-type weaknesses covered by said Fire- and Grass-types and can provide both hazard setting and removal via Stealth Rock and Defog, respectively.​

If you guys have any other ideas on viable Sun setters / abusers / supporters, let me know and I will add them to this list.

Some discussion points:
- What support Pokemon need to be added to help with your main sweeper(s)?
- Is it viable to have more than 1 dedicated Sun sweeper on a team?
- Is it viable to have more than 1 dedicated Sun setter on a team?
- What are some good Pokemon (with sets!) that can work well against Sun teams?
- Is Sun too predictable and easy to work around?
- Is Sun viable? lol yes

I also plan to continue these types of threads with Sand and Hail, so if there are any non-obvious ideas or concepts that you feel I should include, please let me know so I can take them into consideration when typing up the threads.

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hey, there's already a LC sun thread that exists here, so I suggest making the title of this thread stand out a bit more, maybe something like "Sun in LC Post-Misdreavus".

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, there's already a LC sun thread that exists here, so I suggest making the title of this thread stand out a bit more, maybe something like "Sun in LC Post-Misdreavus".
I'll make sure to include that DTC made the original post, but that thread hasnt been touched since mid January and includes Pokemon that have since been banned from LC. I think just a general "Sun in LC" title works simply because of all the shifts that have occured since Yangela, and Sun only recently reemerged as a big threat after Murkrow and Meditite were banned. The two threads also serve different purposes, with DTC's focusing more on the construction of a Sun team while mine simply identifies key parts of the playstyle, mainly as a quick introduction to properly using a Sun team.

Mambo i think Drilbur as spin is at least interesting should be add as a support mon, as it allow the durability on Vulpix in balanced sun teams and allows better coverage on Archen without having to carry defog and preserve the hazards that allow Chrolphyll mons to sweep better, Also any Knock support deserves a mention as without LO Bellsprout a miss hell of a lot of OHKO so Pawniard as a support is also a great addition as it can even soft check bellsprout weakness to flying

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
From what I'm found (and this is a common thread in lucy's teams as well) Sun needs Vulpix + Sprout, clearly, but also two things: a Fletchling check and a Fighting check. Archen is usually the Fletch check (and a particularly good one because it isn't trapped) and Snubull is the Fighting check (although it can be Spritzee, Slowpoke, Larvesta). You also need a pivot, as getting from Vulpix to Sprout is hard, especially with Eviolite Vulpix or LO Sprout, then a utility mon. Like the user above me said, Knock Off is huge in removing Eviolites to get sweeps.

I agree with Brazilian Army and Shrug , nothing to add .
As a spinner maybe u can add Baltoy too ( good type coverage and utility) .
Helioptile can be good as sweeper under the sun too if you want a Volturn style team .
Nice thread , helped me a lot .

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Houndour in Sun Sweepers maybe. Hits ridiculously hard under the sun and has a cool mixed movepool.

This goes into the others section:

Phantump (M) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Harvest
Level: 5
EVs: 36 Atk / 212 Def / 196 SpD / 52 Spe
- Curse
- Horn Leech
- Shadow Claw
- Destiny Bond

My favorite stallmon in my sunskit team. Outspeeds most non-scarfers under SW and ghost type curse forces a whole lot of switches and because of sun, you get your berry back after every curse. Did I mention that he also spinblocks?

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This goes into the others section:

Phantump (M) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 36 Atk / 212 Def / 196 SpD / 52 Spe
- Curse
- Horn Leech
- Shadow Claw
- Destiny Bond

My favorite stallmon in my sunskit team. Outspeeds most non-scarfers under SW and ghost type curse forces a whole lot of switches and because of sun, you get your berry back after every curse. Did I mention that he also spinblocks?

In all seriousness you'll be the one switching out constantly since Knock Off is a prominent move that will completely neuter this set. Make sure you have some Knock Off absorbers and a way to get around them.

In all seriousness you'll be the one switching out constantly since Knock Off is a prominent move that will completely neuter this set. Make sure you have some Knock Off absorbers and a way to get around them.
I have a Trubbish who walls a big amount of knock off users (it might be walling all the knock-off users bar scraggy with has Zen Headbutt)

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Most (totally anecdotal) have gunk shot opposed to zen headbutt but yeah. Trubbish can't wall Zen Headbutt Panchams either.
Either way, Pancham doesnt make your job any easier. Plus i was certain ZHB is the more popular option since it destroys other fighters but i'll have to check the stats and see.

Also Kava brings up the point im trying to convey.

Keep in mind that you only have 8 turns to get the benefits of sun, which is not nearly enough to make that phantup set worthwhile. Those turns are better spent by sweeping with bellsprout or something.

Using the sun for a defensive pokemon like that when it could be used for ponyta or sprout is bad, and lots of things force it out.

Indie Flop

Banned deucer.
This is a core I thought up to be used to get great results from Life Orb Vulpix

Vulpix @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 52 HP / 196 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Hypnosis
- Quick Attack

Sewaddle @ Eviolite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpA / 196 SpD / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sticky Web
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Synthesis

vulpix is a powerful mon that hits like a truck with Life Orb and Sun boost to its attacks, but issue is that it is slow so we add Sticky Webs! Sewaddle becomes really fast under sun and can beat stuff like shell smash Tirtouga and sets webs for Vulpix to outspeed the metagame

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)