SM PU Sunflower: Lilligant BO

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor

click mons for importable

Now that Alolan Exeggutor is banned, I feel good dropping this team since Lilligant is also broken. This is actually my second ever RMT but my first one was back in ORAS when I was still a super bad player and the team didn't even have a wincon (I'd link the thread but I can't find it). A few years later, and I'm much more confident in my ability to teambuild and play with actual good mons instead of Solrock and fat Monferno. So today I wanted to show off a team that's done pretty well for me recently and I think is a fairly good indicator of the current meta. Not gonna lie, the entire reason I wanted to build this team was because I fell in love with the song Sunflower after watching Into the Spider-Verse and didn't want to make the stretch of making Sunflora actually work. Lilligant has a big flower so I figured it was close enough.

Upcoming serious bit, don't read if you want to just hear about the team
I'm also making this post as hopefully a way to step a little back from the tours/competitive scene even though I've been nowhere near a big name even among just PU players. I've always wanted to be better at mons but unfortunately, I think I just got started with competitive too late to actually be able to change the way I think about plays and such. I figure that if I'm not gonna have extreme success in a video game, it might be better to put it to the side for a while and focus on IRL stuff like graduating college at the end of this year and actually getting a teaching job. I feel like I'm at a point in my life where I need to start really growing up and I don't think Pokemon is a part of that for me. And I don't mean to bash on people who are my age or older that still play mons, because it obviously works for some people. I also don't mean to say that I'll quit mons cold turkey, I'll definitely still play on PS and in game stuff, just much less tours and taking it seriously. So I want to thank the people that have made the last almost 5 years (!!!) great and really brought me into the Pokemon and PU community but I'll do that in the shoutouts, on to the team
Teambuilding Process:

So I started with the offensive core of Lilligant+Stoutland. Stoutland supports Lilligant's offensive capabilities by breaking through bulkier Grass-resists like Roselia, Drampa, Alolan Sandslash, and Altaria while also appreciating Lilligant's ability to break through Regirock, Gurdurr, and Quagsire.

Next, I added a momentum core to allow the previous two to get in much easier. Lanturn provided a decent Jellicent check (which I've always been very paranoid about prepping for) and a defensive Mesprit acted as a Fighting-check, while also providing Stealth Rock support.

Then I added some speed control as the team was looking fairly slow outside of Lilligant after setup. Kabutops gave me a form of hazard control and also a soft rain check. I also felt a bit weak to Aggron, so I slapped a Mudsdale on the end and made Mesprit more offensive.

It was at this point that I realized that I didn't really like the structure of the team, and after some advice from MZ and ptf, I changed some mons around. I exchanged Lanturn and Mudsdale for the combination of Poliwrath and Eelektross. Poli acts as a solid Aggron check, and Eel stops opponents from spamming Earthquake which would've been a problem in the previous build. The combination of the two also gave me two soft checks to Jellicent instead of one hard counter, which I figured was okay for the utility they brought to the team. Mesprit was also turned back into a defensive set.

After testing, I saw didn't like Scarf Kabutops. I swapped it out for a SpDef AlolaSlash, adding an Ice-resist and combining the rock setter and spinner role into one slot. I turned Mesprit into the scarfer.

In-Depth Analysis:

You're the Sunflower,
I think your love would be too much

Lilligant @ Grassium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

So the main member of the team, not too much
reasoning as to why I picked it that hasn't already
been said. It's a super good mon and I love using
it. That being said, it's also one of the members
that has changed the most over the course of the
team. I prefer Grassium over Normalium, as the
added ability to get an extra speed boost from
Z-Sleep Powder can come in handy in certain
situations. The last move however, has been
changed between HP Fire, Ice, and eventually
Rock. Fire was to deal with Alolaslash and
opposing Lilligant. Then Ice was to better deal
with Eggy. But I think now with Eggy banned,
Rock works best for hitting birds but the other
two could still be subbed in if needed.

Fightin' for my trust and you won't back down,
Even if we gotta risk it all right now

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Facade

Stoutland is high-key one of my favorite mons in
this meta. It just punches holes super easily and
Lilligant really appreciates having more specially
bulky Pokemon worn down by this thing. I really
shouldn't have to explain the moves but I will for
the sake of quality. Frustration is strong STAB,
Superpower breaks through Rock- and Steel-
types, Pursuit helps trap weakened Mesprits and
other stuff, and Facade allows you to still do
damage if you get burned.​

She wanna ride me like a cruise,
And I'm not tryna lose

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Toxic
- Protect

So Poliwrath was added as a bulkier switch-in
to things like Jellicent and Aggron that really
put a dent in the team before it was added. Its
main purpose is to check those kind of attackers
and then threaten the incoming mons with Scald
or Toxic. It was also just a good pivot that allowed
the team to sponge a hit and then get in something
else to keep up offensive pressure. Poli hasn't
been the star of the team like Lilligant, but the
team would be worse off without it for sure.​

I know I always come and go,
But it's out of my control

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

Eel was added as a soft check originally
for things like Alolan Exeggutor (one of
the earlier builds even ran HP Ice on this
for that purpose). But with Eggy's ban, it
has turned into a better check for stuff like
Oricorio, Quagsire, and Alolan Raichu. Slow
Volt Switch is always appreciated by Lilligant
and Knock Off is really useful for getting rid
of the rising Rocky Helmet users that like to
chip Stoutland.​

Callin' it quits now baby I'm a wreck,
Crash at my place baby you're a wreck

Sandslash-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

So this mon was one of the additions that
changed the rest of the team a lot. And by
the rest of the team, I really mean Mesprit.
Originally I had an offensive Shuca set with
spin while Mesprit had rocks, but after some
advice, decided to change it to a more
SpDef set, combining both rock and spin to
free up Mesprit for a more offensive set.
Not too much to say about the moves
except maybe Knock Off as last move to
again, get rid of Helmets especially from
Quagsires that like to switch into this thing.

Ooh some things you just can't refuse
Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

It's the most used mon in the tier for a
reason. Scarf Mesprit is super nice imo
and I think is rising as one of the best sets.
It allows you to check Oricorios, Dodrios,
even weakened Alolan Persians. It also put
on some decent offensive pressure, which
allows for U-turn to be used to get in
Stoutland a lot of the time. The utility of
Healing Wish can never be overlooked,
especially on a team with Lilligant.​

Weaknesses:
Any team where the Fighting resist is Scarf Mesprit is going to have trouble with Gurdurr. Luckily, the rest of the team can handle it decently with either Knock Off or Toxic in Poliwrath's case, so it hasn't been a huge issue but it's still a threat to be aware of.
Primeape also being a Fighting-type fucks up the team just by getting enough free U-turns.

I'm sure there's a ton of other weaknesses this team has but I've been sitting on this draft for like 2 weeks and want it out.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-860616500 Lilligant is able to sweep after Skuntank is taken care of and uses Z-Sleep Powder to show why it's so good
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-855695124 Another example of a team with two Lilligant checks being worn down (though I do crit the skunk to win)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-852150541 Weakening the AV chan and Scarf Mes killing Dodrio for Lilli
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-857250490 This game vs fagtron probably would've gone differently if I hadn't frozen Drampa turn 1 but I had to add it
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-839398163 Same shit, taking care of AV chan and Toge
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-847869302 Working against the grain with Lilligant wearing stuff down for Stoutland to sweep

Conclusion and Shoutouts:
So yeah, that's the team. I spent quite a while testing it, and really it performed its best during the Eggy meta which to me seems weird because it looks super Eggy weak. I feel this is super representative of the current meta, especially with Lilligant's recent rise to S rank and everyone hyping up Lilli+Stoutland core. As I said in the intro, I think this may be one of the last serious things I do with Smogon and I hope to take a step back and keep Pokemon as a fun thing, saving seriousness for the stuff that will actually affect my future. I love the whole PU community so I'm not leaving just yet, but I'm tired of being just another one of those mediocre tour players that don't really have a close chance of winning. I'm glad to have made more friends through this site and who knows, maybe I'll get some more free time in the future and actually come back to the competitive scene with a new and improved better playing mentality. I don't wanna get too drawn out and lengthy so I'll just go ahead and do some shoutouts.

Megazard Thanks for being a really great TL and making PU such a fun tier to play. You along with Taskr and the rest of the council are all great people and I hope to see the tier improve more under you guys. And thanks for always telling me to chill out when I complain about hax (which is all the time).

PTF Not sure if you remember it, but you gave me a ton of advice on this team one day, specifically adding the SpDef AlolaSlash, and I really attribute a lot of this team's success to you. So thanks for making it a lot better

z3ll1 ofc I've been sitting on this draft for two weeks, trying to find the right words to say and they post almost the exact same team but with Pom-Pom > Eel two hours before I finish (I'm just playing dude, just a coincidence)

OG Scavengers Auth and Staff (this is a list so I'm making a spoiler tag
ashiemore Painter Espeon GoodMorningEspeon Rory Mercury Meicoo 3.14dgeot-Mega and really anyone who's been an auth/staff member over the years

This isn't goodbye to Scavengers (even though I know I haven't made a hunt in like a year) but I just want to shout you all out because you all have been great friends and Scavs was the first room that I really got into on PS in 2014. So without the welcoming and friendly environment that you guys gave me starting out, who knows how long I would've stayed around. Some of you have drifted away from PS, sometimes for reasons similar to mine, but I all still think of you as great friends and wonderful people.

Abyssal Ruins Man, you've been my best friend on this site for so long and I love messing around with weird mons together with you. You've helped me become a better player in the past year or so and I always hope that whatever you do in life, you'll be great at it because you're awesome. Don't ever think I forgot that one team you made with Grass Knot+HP Fire Mega Metagross and Head Smash Hydreigon back in ORAS, that team was flames.

So if you've read this far, thank you so much for giving me views. Now check out my YouTube channel where I actually might post stuff more often in the near future. :heart:
But in all seriousness, thanks for reading and if you have any feedback for the team, I would love to hear it! I hope to see you all around!

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
also to address some concerns, I built this team like 4-6 weeks ago, before Eggy ban, toge/weezing rise and before this became a meta defining team. I'm not saying I invented this team bc I definitely did not, but I just got to posting it I guess

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello, SergioRules,

I am glad somebody posted this team concept, it is becoming a very popular team style right now in the current metagame, and it will give newer players to PU a consistent team to begin playing with. I am sad to hear you are lowering your time on here. I have been a member of PU for quite a few years and you have a name I definitely recognize. I hope things go well IRL for you, but I truly believe you can improve at any age, best of luck to you in what endeavors you go for.

Ok, so on to your team, it looks fairly solid but I do see a few glaring weaknesses you didn't point out, but I feel I can help you with them as well with your weakness to Fighting-types like Gurdurr and Primeape.

Lilligant @ Grassium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Quiver Dance
- Aromatherapy

This bulky Lilligant spread has been catching steam lately and I think it fits your team quite nicely. Z-Aromatherapy is used to allow for easier set up's to +2 as it will give you full HP back as well as healing any major status. It also helps Eelektross switch into Mudsdale easier as you know you have a way to heal it's Toxic it will inevitably receive. Rather or not you decide to change to this spread I really have to suggest you run Hidden Power Fire over Hidden Power Rock, I think you will appreciate hitting Sandslash-Alola rather then Articuno. Keep in mind this bulkier spread checks Gurdurr better and because it is easier to get up to +2 it deals with Primeape a little easier as well.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Toxic

I think you really need Vacuum Wave Poliwrath here, It really helps against Lycanroc, Alolan Sandslash, and Carracosta. I changed the spread to hit as hard as possible and the speed is for max speed neutral Aurorus(plus a bit extra). You have a few more options here like Life Orb over Leftovers and Ice Beam over Toxic, but I feel both are not necessary, Ice Beam was only really used for Alolan Exeggcutor, it doesn't do much to Roselia but it can still chip it as well as Victreebel(gaining in popularity) for Lilligant. You also have Stoutland so you are using Poliwrath more as a check to things
than a breaker, but Life Orb + Ice Beam is still a viable option here.

--->

Regirock @ Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Counter
- Stealth Rock

I don't think Alolan Sandslash fits super well here. You are incredibly weak to Oricorio-Pom-Pom(Pom Pom can set up on Eel, you can pivot well but your best switch in was Sandslash, which gets weakened very easily and didn't help with the other threats), Stoutland, Kangaskhan, and All Out Pummeling Dodrio. Regirock helps with all of these. I think you will have a good time with this set, it is offensive doing massive damage to all the Eelektrosses that like to stay in on you. Counter lures Hitmonchan and Primeape for your Lilligant and is good as an emergency button against Dodrio(basically you don't risk a Stone Edge miss).

--->

Swanna @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Brave Bird
- Scald
- Defog

Your team lacks speed, even with Choice Scarf Swanna the team lacks speed, but I feel the team has what it needs to be successful. Scarf Swanna is the best role compression here. It actually can be used as a win con as the rest of the team supports it pretty well. It also acts as a fighting resist so along with Chople Regirock and Bulky Lilligant you should be able to be in winning matchups against them. This also helps patch up your weaknesses to opposing Lilligant and Z-Lovely Kiss Jynx.

Last Moment Change I didn't notice until near the end

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

Instead of running a minus speed nature I think a bit of creep is better, it might allow you to outspeed Drampa and knock off it's Choice Specs, it also lets you knock off other Eelektross before they Volt Switch, which helps both Swanna(or mesprit if you prefer) and Lilligant.

Pokepaste

Conclusion:
I think these changes really help patch up some weakness to your team, giving you better matchups against Normal-types and Flying-types, as well as giving more support to Lilligant allowing it to sweep in more games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)