Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Character and Tier Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Not sure if this was simply a matter of getting better with the weapons available of if there was something huge I was missing.

Dunno about the counter, since I abhor the ending lag, but I can kinda see what the uses are for the others. I guess my other issue is how weak he is at 0%. It's like he's a character that requires that you take hits in order to do more damage, as opposed to just trying to go through the match with as little damage as possible. And if you and your opponent are going through a round, racking up damage for each other, and you happen to get knocked out first, then you end up starting on your next life having to try to get your opponent down to however lives you have while being weaker than you were when you were on the verge of KOing them last life. I hate being in that situation as Lucario.

Being down a stock also increases your aura's power. There's nothing wrong with being in the lead with Lucario either, you don't need an aura if you're winning.

Really? I'd never noticed...
But wait, then what happens when you do manage to take out the opponent? Does the power stay as is or does it drop?

Also at 0% he can link attack into each other BECAUSE they have almost no knockback
see: fair to fair / fair to nair / fair to dair / landing nair to jab

On a cooler-than-this-current-topic note, I want to present an amazing find by A2ZOMG on Smashboards. He discovered "Bucket Canceling". Sort of a misleading name because it makes you think he discovered how to reduce lagtime or something, but what it really does is stop your momentum even in knockback. Ridiculous. This discovery allows G&W to be the hardest character to kill in some scenarios.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXBIYnMuTE

Wow.

On a cooler-than-this-current-topic note, I want to present an amazing find by A2ZOMG on Smashboards. He discovered "Bucket Canceling". Sort of a misleading name because it makes you think he discovered how to reduce lagtime or something, but what it really does is stop your momentum even in knockback. Ridiculous. This discovery allows G&W to be the hardest character to kill in some scenarios.

Wow.
Holy hell, that's insane...

Tried and tested it already. Not particular useful for DK or Yoshi, you just hit them again. It just prolongs the beatings.

On the other hand, GAW can somewhat act as a life holder in teams if he chooses to forfeit normal use of the bucket. Fair trade I think, and definitely worthwhile.

Great for large stages like Pictochat, not as great for smaller stages, but still can probably be put to good use. Yoshi's and DK's are trash though unless your opponent refuses to do any edgeguarding whatsoever.

Yoshi mains will somehow twist this around to try to make Yoshi seem high+ tier.

Again.

Wow.
*sigh*

I doubt I'll ever be able to beat Esc again.

Great for large stages like Pictochat, not as great for smaller stages, but still can probably be put to good use. Yoshi's and DK's are trash though unless your opponent refuses to do any edgeguarding whatsoever.

Yoshi mains will somehow twist this around to try to make Yoshi seem high+ tier.

Again.

Yoshi's is still useful for vertical survival. His godly air control will keep him relatively safe from juggling in his helpless stage after cancelling the eggroll.

He's the 5th heaviest character as is, lol

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Holy shit, awesome. Loving this, being a Game & Watch main myself and hating his weight!

Also note that there's another option to escaping hitstun early that may or may not be faster than any of your aerials that the video doesn't talk about: air-dodging (note level 9 CPUs do this -all the time-). No idea if that's faster than his N-air or not.

I'd always use the key to survive vertical hits a little better (or any stall-and-fall if I'm playing such a character). I wasn't aware you could do the same by just fastfalling an aerial; I guess that makes sense.

I actually kind of already knew about the Yoshi one (flukes, etc.) but as a Yoshi main I can say right now this technique is next to useless especially for horizontal recovery. It's an extremely situational technique that will likely have you just re-smashed off the stage, accomplishing next to nothing.

For DK and Mr. Game & Watch though, this is actually pretty fucking incredible.

It's actually more useless for DK than it is for Yoshi. DK should just stick to DIing.

G&W is the only one that really stands out :]

does game&watch get any better? oh and mr escalator, to realize the stupidity of my previous posts, i will need your fc for brawl because i will be getting wifi tomorrow. but after that youtube video, i really dont think much more has to be proven about game &watch

It's actually more useless for DK than it is for Yoshi. DK should just stick to DIing.

G&W is the only one that really stands out :]
From a vertical perspective I could understand, but horizontal? I think it's a very useful ability, DK's up special has huge horizontal range. Is there something I'm missing though?

does game&watch get any better?
hahahahahaha

Yes, Mr. Game & Watch greatly benefits from this technique. Being the third-lightest character in the game was one of his only flaws- with that disadvantage taken away, he is essentially safe from most KOs if he's struck from the centre of the stage and there's not so much hitstun that they cannot perform a neutral air in time.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
I'm pretty sure every character has an aerial that is faster than his air dodge in terms of total duration, except possibly Snake. Air dodging is really slow, and a bad choice.

Also, the key does not help you survive vertical hits better. In fact, it's worse. Fast falled fish bowl is always the best option.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Also, the key does not help you survive vertical hits better. In fact, it's worse. Fast falled fish bowl is always the best option.
I definitely remember seeing a vid where somebody took a fresh vertical attack that killed with no DI and didn't use the key, and then took the same (also fresh, same percent obviously) vertical attack with no DI using the key and it did not kill. But I will certainly look again.

That's what all attacks do, however the key lasts forever so you could still be in the attack animation and get knocked into the blast zone since you can't FF with the key.

From a vertical perspective I could understand, but horizontal? I think it's a very useful ability, DK's up special has huge horizontal range. Is there something I'm missing though?
i think you are missing the facts that dk's aerial mobility is average at best and the spinning kong will leave him pretty high up and unable to do anything but di. so yeah, he might make it back above the stage or something, but he'll be so high that the opponent can just hit him as he falls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)