Format Discussion Super Staff Bros 4 Discussion Thread

Hero Creation has always been good with almost any offensive teammate. Veto is something that can be deadly once a battle, since usually you catch the opponent with it when your Aggron hasn't been revealed yet. And sometimes after that it's still threatening enough that if it resists a type that your other mons are weak to, it can turn the match into a guessing game for your opponent.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8superstaffbros4-1515076696
The fact that Alphabet Soup can summon the normally physical Mega Garchomp makes me question if there is a stat threshold that a mons stats must reach in order to be considered an option for alphabet soup. Can we by any chance get an explanation for what is needed to qualify as an option for alphabet soup?
I believe it's a base 80 SpA and Speed stat threshhold.

Edit: As I thought, after some testing, the lowest SpA and Speed I could get was Calyrex with 80-80. None of the other pokémon I got had anything lower than 80 SpA or speed.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: UT
Yea true Instruct is busted please nerf. Maybe remove the marking mechanic, soda break's flinch chance, and prevent soda break switching you out. A priority switch move which also flinches? Busted. Also explosion is 250 power that's too high, replace that with tackle. Memento is -2 to each attacking stat, which is busted, so that should be replaced with confide. Also, lunar dance to too powerful and would make any mon who got it ubers automatically so that should be replaced with wish. Riolu itself is a busted mon, so should be replaced with Tyrogue. Then we'll finally have a balanced mon.

…for real tho, how?
Instruct has very little bulk, so can only realistically come in after a KO. He then only has one move he's realistically clicking, soda break, allowing you to limit the mark to one or two mons quite easily. Soda break itself does minimal damage, and so Instruct just doesn't do much until he dies. The counterplay is to switch to the same mon every time they go Instruct, or simply accept the mark because 50% damage isn't the end of the world, and your opponent will probably use Instruct as a sack sooner rather than later, so they won't get marks on many pokémon.

If you want actual counters, protect and psychic terrain or other priority blocking methods (e.g. Litt) completely destroy Instruct, as not only is Soda Break turn 1 only, he also has truant as an ability (and his other moves kill himself and stop the marks from having any effect in the process).

Ok guys so I have had a genius idea. Homunculus' Vanity should heal the opponent by 50% of their health, restore 1 PP to all the user's moves, move the turn counter back one turn, and retain its current other effects. What do you guys think?

Ok guys so I have had a genius idea. Homunculus' Vanity should heal the opponent by 50% of their health, restore 1 PP to all the user's moves, move the turn counter back one turn, and retain its current other effects. What do you guys think?
SSB4 literally isn't getting updated anymore, tough luck bozo ;)

Now that SSB4 has been concluded, I wonder if there's gonna be a SSB5 for Gen 9... or is it currently in progress as I am speaking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)