Done Superme Overlord has a somewhat confusing abilitiy description

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 12.57.12.png

It's ability states that this Pokémon's moves have 0.1x more power, but then says maximum is 1.5x. If we express 150% as 1.5x (which is consistent with how stat changes are represented in battle on Showdown), then we should express a 10% boost as 1.1x. since the Pokémon's attack is 110% now.

0.1x may confuse a user into thinking that the Pokémon actually gets weaker with every fainted ally.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I think its fine as is, it says 0.1x more power. In addition, I don't see a good way to explain how this works within the tight character limitations for these short descriptions (this one is maxed out already).

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
then we should express a 10% boost as 1.1x. since the Pokémon's attack is 110% now.
You understand of course that 10% = 0.1 and not 1.1; it would be misinformation to claim the power goes up by 1.1 for each fainted ally. It's actually 1.1, then 1.2, then 1.3, then 1.4, then 1.5, but there's no space to express that. What you're suggesting makes it sound like 1.1, then 1.21, then 1.331, etc.

supremeoverlord.png

Is this acceptable? This is the same thing but with percentages instead.

You understand of course that 10% = 0.1 and not 1.1; it would be misinformation to claim the power goes up by 1.1 for each fainted ally. It's actually 1.1, then 1.2, then 1.3, then 1.4, then 1.5, but there's no space to express that. What you're suggesting makes it sound like 1.1, then 1.21, then 1.331, etc.

View attachment 482934
Is this acceptable? This is the same thing but with percentages instead.
this wording is much nicer imo

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
IMO the best way to phrase it is "This Pokémon's moves have 10% more power for each fainted ally, up to 5 times / stacks. If I counted correctly that's the same number of characters.

If I didn't know better I would read both the current description and new proposed one as being stackable up to 15 times, which is feasible because in-game it could only happen up to 5 times anyway so they might not have cared to actually limit it to that manually. Considering Showdown has modes where you can increase maximum team capacity, this could technically lead to confusion.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
If I didn't know better I would read both the current description and new proposed one as being stackable up to 15 times
That's fair, I think this will work then:
supremeoverlord.png

Also to clarify, the space available in the teambuilder is 488 pixels (for Ability text; it's smaller for items and even smaller for moves), with an 8 point Verdana font. Anything beyond the right border gets cut out, so it matters a lot how wide each character actually is, and not strictly how many characters are used.

"10%" is slightly wider than "0.1x", for example. The revision from my other post is a pixel from losing half of the period.
muhpixels.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)