Rules SV Battle Stadium Forum Rules & Simple Questions

Looking at usage stats and sample teams it seems like bulky Dragonite is the most used mon. Why do you think that is the case when in OU Dragonite is must more based on offense alone.
Hi Hi! Firstable, I really like your name LOL (if its a One Piece reference that is...).

Dnite is interesting, looking at usage stats the most common tera options are Flying and Normal (from what I remember) which are used in offensive builds, so Dnite it is used offensively for the most part but the matter of fact is that Dnite is the most versatile mon in the format atm, can do pretty much everything and everything does it well, from phazer to trapper to sweeper to breaker to disrupter... Can be physical or special attacker, even mixed. If you have an idea of a build im pretty sure Dnite can do it and all thanks to its entire kit, well rounded stats with a solid typing, a high Face-to-Face performance with Multiscale + strong priority moves, very good Tera user but can also do really well without it and has access to incredible utility moves like Encore, Thunder Wave, Fire Spin, Roost and Dragon Tail.

Multiscale plus Tera is HUGE, the more time passes the more offensive the metagame has become and this favors Dnite since its one of the best (if not the best) in the Face-to-Face archetype (the somewhat equivalent to Hyper Offense in BSS) where is pretty difficult to win a 1v1 against it.

In a similar vein I’m surprised booster energy mons aren’t on every team. It feels like booster energy would be even better in a shorter format where the mon in question is on the field with its boost longer.
Regarding Booster Energy, oh yeah, it is common (not as common as it was back then tho) Bundle and All Mighty Flutter Mane are the best users, Roaring Moon made a little comeback last season and Pokemon like Iron Moth and Great Tusk where really strong users a couple of season back (Moth can be seen but people started to run HDB). Quickly looking at the top25 ranked teams from last season there where 9 booster energy users which is pretty high number in my opinion.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Final bit, is Shed Tail not considered very strong in BSS? I’d of imagined it would be of a similar power level as in OU. Does the fact you only have 3 mons vs 6 make a big enough deal for this move to not be used very often? (I’d of thought cyclizar would be used more)

Thanks!
Shed Tail is interesting as a pivoting tool but Cyclizar just kinda sucks honestly. Some people had some positive opinions of it in like Regulation A but I don't think it was ever super great. Having only 3 Pokemon is the big fundamental difference though, but it's not just the fact that you have less Pokemon to cycle between that makes this less useful. Cyclizar's offensive presence is just mediocre on top of that, and if you're a Pokemon with a cycling tool it doesn't mean much if you don't actually beat much 1v1 (or face-to-face, to use the JP phrase that Bachy refers to).

Orthworm was generally the better Shed Tail user early seasons because Earth Eater was extremely useful for letting it bully dragons that rely on Earthquake to hit Steels, and it could muscle through stuff with ID Body Press on its own. This niche is less useful nowadays but overall Shed Tail is fine as a move, it's just the users aren't good enough for it to see more use and the move itself is also not that powerful to begin with in 3v3.

Apologies if this isn’t the right place for this.

I’ve been getting interested in trying BSS on cartridge. While I haven’t been actively playing this generation much I wanted to hear some insight about the differences between OU and BSS.

Looking at usage stats and sample teams it seems like bulky Dragonite is the most used mon. Why do you think that is the case when in OU Dragonite is must more based on offense alone.

In a similar vein I’m surprised booster energy mons aren’t on every team. It feels like booster energy would be even better in a shorter format where the mon in question is on the field with its boost longer.

Final bit, is Shed Tail not considered very strong in BSS? I’d of imagined it would be of a similar power level as in OU. Does the fact you only have 3 mons vs 6 make a big enough deal for this move to not be used very often? (I’d of thought cyclizar would be used more)

Thanks!
With the shortened available team of 3, cyclizard doesnt really do much besides shed tail. And seeing the #1 used pokemon this meta hits thru sub sacking a team mate to pass a sub doesnt really work out well =] there are booster mons rampant, if you havent met her yet, prepare to make the acquaintance of stereo wave Habatakukami. Finally, bss utilizes a ton of role compression, which is why bulk is so prevalent on kairyu. Dont get me wrong though, cband norm tera kairyu is pretty common. My best advice is to dive in, join the bss discord so you have a sounding board, track your progress and please share your experiences in this format ^_^ also: welcome ^_^

Does anyone know how much stealth rock weakness is too much? I'm finding some use in SR weak mons, but that's already a 4x weak and 2x weaks. The mon I'm thinking of to best fill the niche I'm looking at is AGAIN a 2x weak. Granted the other 2 are resists to SR, but I'm thinking 4 weak to rock isn't ok. Now I do play around, say, the common ting-lu by typically switching in Frosmoth and teraing to resist rock, so when it shuffles I take far less. But it isn't always ideal to tera just to take rocks better, and Frosmoth notably won't take any EQ(say from the ting-lu in question,) well w/o a resist.

I wanted Froslass as my 6th for screens and Icicle SPear(Gliscor is yucky,) but I'm now thinking maybe no screens. Also, is even 3 w/ a 4x weak not ok? Then I have to really restructure, the Froslass I at least didn't commit to as I don't even have it yet lol.

Well, i would supplement with something to discourage rocks. Bss pick 6, bring 3 right? Having a hatterene in team preview would be a great way to discourage rocks without having to switch up your core. Not 100% guaranteed but same thinking that flamebody is like 2 abilities on heatran

Well, i would supplement with something to discourage rocks. Bss pick 6, bring 3 right? Having a hatterene in team preview would be a great way to discourage rocks without having to switch up your core. Not 100% guaranteed but same thinking that flamebody is like 2 abilities on heatran
Yeah, Hatterene is like the most extreme way to go. I've used hatt before, but the bulk can be lackluster solely thanks to low base HP. But type-wise seems fine, I guess I will try that.

Only issue would be not beating Gliscor. Can wall it / flying tera, so still maybe. Or maybe not, got rid of fat base HP mons, so I won't win the timer usually if bringing a base 57. Would Mamoswine be acceptable? It is SR neutral, but syill gets Icicle Spear. I have Urshifu RS and an Infiltrator mon, so potentially I don't need more on Gliscor(though idk.)

This is a serious question btw. Is Bastiodon(gonna) be viable? It seems good, super strong IronPress, tiny Atk but still ohkos uninvested Flutter w/ Heavy Slam, many other options, SR, ghost tera curse, Fissure, Avalanche. etc.

I'm only not planning to try it early jan. cause I have the new mon Archaludon which conflicts.

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
This is a serious question btw. Is Bastiodon(gonna) be viable? It seems good, super strong IronPress, tiny Atk but still ohkos uninvested Flutter w/ Heavy Slam, many other options, SR, ghost tera curse, Fissure, Avalanche. etc.

I'm only not planning to try it early jan. cause I have the new mon Archaludon which conflicts.
so like, we already have that. I don’t see what bastiodon does that Garg doesn’t already do better. Bastiodon has never been even remotely good, I don’t see how it would magically become usable in one of the most powercrept gens I’ve ever seen.
IMG_8687.jpeg

so like, we already have that. I don’t see what bastiodon does that Garg doesn’t already do better. Bastiodon has never been even remotely good, I don’t see how it would magically become usable in one of the most powercrept gens I’ve ever seen.
View attachment 581009
um I forgot. Ty!

EDIT: I feel Garg has been slipping in use or idk(why on Earth...) But they also put way too much into that mon. It by itself makes a whole item, covert cloak, totally viabe rather than maybe ok.

2nd edit: I always felt I would get around to trying bastiodon, guess not since it bad. What about malamar? I like topsy turvy.

um...3rd edit but this one's scary: Meta discussion is dead, but will anyone address the elephant in the room? W/ the new Stelar tera's tera blast dropping offensive stats, Contrary mons get boosted offenses from it...Isn't this op for Enamorus mainly? Saw that and was like wth. Funny thing is I still woulda killed it casue they misplayed using special(even fire) on Frosmoth vs. buffed Superpower, except for the Light Screen that irritated me. But I'd say...eek. I was gonna say Scizor should see even more usage, but Superpower buffs the Enamorus' def so idk about that. Not 100% sure how to fight these now.

Last edited:
um...3rd edit but this one's scary: Meta discussion is dead, but will anyone address the elephant in the room? W/ the new Stelar tera's tera blast dropping offensive stats, Contrary mons get boosted offenses from it...Isn't this op for Enamorus mainly? Saw that and was like wth. Funny thing is I still woulda killed it casue they misplayed using special(even fire) on Frosmoth vs. buffed Superpower, except for the Light Screen that irritated me. But I'd say...eek. I was gonna say Scizor should see even more usage, but Superpower buffs the Enamorus' def so idk about that. Not 100% sure how to fight these now.
Enamorus is definitely interesting with stellar, but I don’t think it’ll be too hard to beat for most teams. It’s still kinda frail(maybe they will run more bulk idk) & they’re weak to some key things like stealth rock & ice moves.

If there’s constant pressure on the field, most mons on a face to face build I think will be able to keep it in check & not allow it to snowball. Like try to have mons on the field that will live one hit and/or out speed & can KO enamorus or at least do enough damage that the next pokemon can pick it off with priority or by out speeding it. That probably sounds like generally what you want to do in many games but I think it’s more important with a dangerous setup mon like that, to me it’s kind of similar to how I I’d try to gameplan against scale shot dnite for example

Edit: & for more defensive teams, maybe stealth rock & something with unaware would be a decent game plan

Last edited:
Right, unaware. Not for this, but I was already thinking to put in skeledirge so that works out.

Edit: and yea it shouldn't have any speed boosts so there is some offensive way. My team is slower, with my fast Mon getting no ze hit on it.

DerpySuX

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Reg F still not active for singles players ... Still can't test out the new moves.. someone please fix this
Regulation F is challengable on PS. If you ask around on the BSS chatroom someone will take you up on some test games.
If you have an issue with something regarding PS, please use the proper channels to communicate them in the future, and remember that the coders who work on it do so completely free of charge, it’s really the least you can do to be a little more respectful than just saying “fix it”

IMG_0819.jpeg

Last I checked far more Clodsire were Water Absorb than Unaware. I imagine this is because they can't take THAT much physical, even when you ignore the boosts. Is that why? And is it better to run Water Absorb then? I feel like my team definitely needs Unaware more...but then maybe it doesn't need Clodsire. Could run Quag...

Last I checked far more Clodsire were Water Absorb than Unaware. I imagine this is because they can't take THAT much physical, even when you ignore the boosts. Is that why? And is it better to run Water Absorb then? I feel like my team definitely needs Unaware more...but then maybe it doesn't need Clodsire. Could run Quag...
Depends what you want clodsire to do, i think both unaware & water absorb are good options. It's most often water absorb because it gives it a good matchup into rapid strike urshifu(and with tera, iron bundle). To put it in perspective, before urshifu was around unaware was a little more common, so it definitely has merit. Only when urshifu became legal water absorb went way higher in usage.

So if you have other plans to deal with urshifu & you want clod specifically to deal with setup i think unaware is valid. Dondozo is also a really good unaware mon you could consider too

Depends what you want clodsire to do, i think both unaware & water absorb are good options. It's most often water absorb because it gives it a good matchup into rapid strike urshifu(and with tera, iron bundle). To put it in perspective, before urshifu was around unaware was a little more common, so it definitely has merit. Only when urshifu became legal water absorb went way higher in usage.

So if you have other plans to deal with urshifu & you want clod specifically to deal with setup i think unaware is valid. Dondozo is also a really good unaware mon you could consider too
Ty yes. Dozo was my go to for unaware, but I didn't like something about it. Forget what.

Now it makes sense, I don't have clodsire for rapid strike though so I wasn't thinking about it. At any rate I've spent like 3 patches switching around my Clodsires's abilities, it staying unaware. The shiny one is water absorb, but that is steel Tera, so can't use black sludge well. Hm.

Edit: how specially defensive can I expect ceruledge to be? I couldn't break sub with bellibolt, want to cause I lost from that. I don't wanna ruin bulk or even for sure the 28 suggested spe evs, though. At least not unless it's just a little more to get good rolls on the average sub with chilling water.

Last edited:

DerpySuX

are usage statistics calculated for pokemon brought into battle in HOME? that is to say, I can't carry a Yamper to top 10 on the ladder because I'd lose a 2v3. That is to say, Yamper's then usage wouldn't be recorded
I’m p sure it counts the whole team but assuming you can get to top 10 on ladder while basically wasting a team slot on yamper is very bold

How good is Corviknight in BSS?
I found at least in theory that it does well against physical attackers like Dragonite, Ogerpon (except Heartflame), Urshifu, Landorus-Therian, Chien-Pao, Scizor, Meowscarda and even Iron Boulder. Gliscor can't touch Corviknight thanks to its immunity to Toxic and Earthquake.
It can even do well against special attackers thanks to its defensive typing such as Iron Crown, Ursaluna Bloodmoon and maybe Porygon2 and Latios (if the latter 2 do not have super effective coverage). It does have to watch out for Flutter Mane and Chi-Yu.
Even against problematic foes such as Gouging Fire and Ogerpon-H, it could tera into Water or Fairy and weaken their blows. Rocky Helmet can be equipped on Corviknight to deal chip damage.

You could run a set as follows:

Corviknight @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Level: 50
Impish Nature
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Brave Bird
- Roost

I have a pretty unusual Mamoswine on my team, for stall and Gliscor. As seen below.
Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 50
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Fissure
- Curse
- Stealth Rock

I've certainly looked into a few other things, but Ting-Lu lacks Curse or a way past Gliscor, and Dondozo still lacks much for Gliscor(I suppose it hits it hard w/o tera, but there's sub and all...idk.) I figure stall HAS to have numerous ways around Gholdengo, plus I like to sell the coins for much needed $. Not that I know what those ways are, as I don't play stall(occasionally one mon that is, not even half a team.) So I got creative.

But even among creative options, I think there's a few others for stall and Gliscor. I looked at Rhypherior(Horn Drill and ghost curse still, lacks on Gliscor though so I guess nvm,) Beartic(Sheer Cold, Icicle Spear, and ghost curse even, but it doesn't have any great abilities,) Lapras(any of the ohko moves, curse, spear, but less atk,) and Glalie(didn't look then just though about it, figure it has spear. No curse I'd think, but moody and sheer cold...)

I like ohko fishing, besides sometimes being your one shot, I get pretty lucky, often hitting it on the 1st or 2nd try. Tbh it's to the point where I feel scandalized if I miss 3 in a row LOL. I'm not sure it's the best, but until my luck turns sour it's hard to argue with. But even within that role of stall killing, is Mamo really a good choice? Gliscor will, really always, water tera, so Idk that I beat that unless I like replace SR with rest. Which I might do tbh, SR NEVER goes good for me, though I can be weak to it. IT just seems like nominal damage on most teams. Not sure what else I'd run, but Knock Off, Smack Down, or Amnesia.

EDIT: Nvm actually, was able to give up Mamo for Dozo, who does it all way better bar no icicle spear.

Last edited:
You should try ohko fishing with one my favorite mons this gen, Chien Pao!
Is Bulky DD Loaded Dice for a better consistent Rock Blast Ttar any good? I hatched a Larvitar that had DD.
Maybe! I did, briefly. I don't see ttar much at all, so I'm inclined to say not really tbh. IF using it though, that sounds reasonable.

You should totally give it another go! This time as a Lead with Stellar. I don't know the right format but Tera Blast / Sheer Cold seems really good bait for a sweeper in the back!
I will keep it in mind if things go bad. For now I seem semi-ok.

What do you/anybody think of Snorlax? Iirc no usage data, but good stats, 1 weakness, beats Flutter etc. I'm using it for Landog, Garg(cloak and fissure, I easily revenge if it goes fly teram) and ofc the aforementioned Flutter w/ heavy slam. I randomly found what I hope is a good EV spread, does it seem wise to not max HP cause high stat? I'd think so, certainly max HP/4 Def will not avoid 2hko from non tera/cb Landog(unless it's boosted form something else, most should be defensive or scarf though imo.) And while more SpD is nice, I still have a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)