SV Little Cup Axew/Koffing Offense (First real LC team)

Axew DD Offense LC:
:Axew: :Koffing: :Mienfoo: :Pawniard: :Mudbray: :Toedscool: This is my first decent LC team and I am very new to the meta game. I am wondering how solid it is and if its even really worth playing with. My main thing was that I wanted to have a D Dance user and :Axew: seemed like the best in the tier so that's who I built the team around. Anyway I've played a few games and the synergy seems pretty good and none of my loses have been by sweep or because :Mienfoo: which normally destroys me using other peoples teams and other shitty teams I have thrown together. This is my first LC team that feels like its sorta onto something so I would like to hear critique on it.

Axew @ Eviolite
Ability: Unnerve
Level: 5
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Stomping Tantrum
- Iron Tail
I built my team around :Axew: because I wanted to use dragon dance and its stats seemed solid. Upon picking :Axew: I was delighted to see that since SM it has been run as a DD sweeper and had tons of cool old sets I could take elements from. I went for the generations sample set in Smogon it seemed solid and I wanted to go for something recent but added Iron Tail over First Impression because I wanted to deal with fairys better. Eviolite makes :Axew: Bulkier (Its already decently fat) and lets it set up DD's while tanking shots from weaker attackers. This is a big factor in why I picked it. I'm going to be honest I have no Idea what the IV's are for but I'm trusting them for now. Unfortunately :Axew: has only been useful as a late game sweeper, and upon farther inspection it has been that was since SM. The main setup fodder for :Axew: is :Stunky:,:Sandygast:, and other more bulky, less offensive mons.

Koffing @ Eviolite
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Def / 196 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
The second Pokemon added to the team was :Koffing: smogon himself. I added :Koffing: becuase it covers :Axew:'s main weakness of fairy types and also can effectively work as my :Mienfoo: counter. I went for the common bulky set with Eviolite so it can actually eat a shot or two and do its job. :Koffing: also deals with other big threats in the tier like :Grookey:. This makes :Koffing: all around a good pokemon to add to the team because it covers :Axew:'s main weaknesses and also can deal with common threats.

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out
Upon very little inspection and a few games here and there in LC it seems :Mienfoo: is completely mandatory on any LC team that's going to have any success. I went with the main pivoting set to try and maybe get :Axew: some more chances to set up. :Mienfoo: fits on this team especially well becuase it covers :Axew:'s second big weakness of steel. Essentially, :Mienfoo: just makes any steel type completey disappear, opening up :Axew: for late in the game. I included Knock off because all bulk in LC is from Eviolite, and can be effectively used to stop :Slowpoke: and other bulkier threats like :Vullaby: who I have been seeing.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
My next add to the team is a second Fairy killer. :Pawniard: was added becuase although :Koffing: can stop fairy types, it is much more important for it to stop :Mienfoo:. I am very willing to let :koffing: trade with :Mienfoo: leaving my team useless against remaining fairy type attackers and putting Axew away. :Pawniard: is my real fairy check and his main job is just to open up :Axew: for late game sweeps. Also, :Pawniard: can setup with it's Eviolite bulk and get priority kills if my oponent is not careful about it. I am running the common SD set running around LC right now.

Mudbray @ Eviolite
Ability: Stamina
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Heavy Slam
My team really needed a rocker (:Axew: really, really appreciates help from them to OHKO certain threats) and :Mudbray: Is a solid rocker. Not only does it work well as a rocker, :Mudbray: can also effectively work as a steel type check. It gains even more versatility due to its ability stamina that lets it become the best Def mon in the tier. Some main interactions for :Mudbray: is that its a solid lead into :Glimmet: and can threaten :Voltorb: with electric immunity and tera steel for grass moves. It also has a very important interaction with :Tinkatink: who would otherwise completely shut down :Axew: and I would have no means of dealing with.

Toedscool @ Eviolite
Ability: Mycelium Might
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Def / 36 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earth Power
- Spore
The team was looking pretty solid so I could afford a bit of a luxury here, like a scarfer, spinner, or trapper. Originally I tried :Trapinch: but that made the team rediculously weak to :Grookey: so I decided on adding a spinner because :Axew: really doesn't like being poisoned or chipped. I went with :Toedscool: becuase it is easily the best spinner in LC and also takes car of :mudbray:'s grass issue. I'm running the normal utility set. This things utility with spin, knock, and spore for sleep has proven really good for the team with spore letting :Axew: set up to sweep.

Random Replays:
Axew blows up 2 mons:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9lc-2116653400?p2
Pawniard cooks balance team:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9lc-2117257620

Problems:
. Problems with other Mudbray and ground types
. No Spatk (Does it even matter in LC though?)
. Axew needing to be sacked, or getting punished for setting up (Burns, IDef, OHKOs)(Probaly user error)
. A bit of an ice weakness (Loses to snow 100% of the time to fast tera ground mons)

None of these problems are really too bad, but I'm not really sure how to fix them without messing up what little synergy I have. My only thing with suggestions is just please don't switch out my main core for some other core or something, I want the team to still be mine, and I definitely still want Axew as the win con. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, I would love to become better at LC and more active in its community.

Thanks for reading!

genisu

I COULD BE BANNED!
Decent team good job!
First thoughts, I would switch iron tail for maybe first impression, it lets you hit holtorb and lowered mons off the top as a revenge killers(you are never clicking iron tail anyway) asw as switching unnerve for mold breaker(just in case)(also maybe could add dragon claw so you aren't locked into outrage), another option could be substitute so you aren't weak to spore/sucker punch/twave (I think substitute is the best option personally because it gives you a ton of opportunities to setup on things like Pawniard, Stunky, Tinkatink, and Foongus
Stealth Rock SD Pawniard is maybe a bit too much cooking, you can try just Stealth Rock and replace Swords Dance with Thunder Wave as well as fairy tera
Btw this team is a bit slow, I would add a holtorb or a growlithe-hisui scarfed over maybe toedscool as you aren't really weak to hazards anyway!
Edit since I saw that you are new to the meta, dragon dance sweepers are not too viable, Axew is I believe LCUU (doesn't have enough usage in LCOU)

Last edited:
Decent team good job!
First thoughts, I would switch iron tail for maybe first impression, it lets you hit holtorb and lowered mons off the top as a revenge killers(you are never clicking iron tail anyway) asw as switching unnerve for mold breaker(just in case)(also maybe could add dragon claw so you aren't locked into outrage), another option could be substitute so you aren't weak to spore/sucker punch/twave (I think substitute is the best option personally because it gives you a ton of opportunities to setup on things like Pawniard, Stunky, Tinkatink, and Foongus
Stealth Rock SD Pawniard is maybe a bit too much cooking, you can try just Stealth Rock and replace Swords Dance with Thunder Wave as well as fairy tera
Btw this team is a bit slow, I would add a holtorb or a growlithe-hisui scarfed over maybe toedscool as you aren't really weak to hazards anyway!
Edit since I saw that you are new to the meta, dragon dance sweepers are not too viable, Axew is I believe LCUU (doesn't have enough usage in LCOU)
Thanks for the advice, as I said the last spot is open for a scarfer or something so I will probably add :growlithe: but won’t that make me super weak to ground? I also was aware :Axew: and other dd sweepers r bad rn but, yk, I like Axew and dd sweepers seemed fun.

The move set for :Axew: is very much up for debate and I’m not sure what to do there… probably will add back first impressions if that’s more viable.

Anyways thanks for the advice, I’ll try it out!

genisu

I COULD BE BANNED!
Thanks for the advice, as I said the last spot is open for a scarfer or something so I will probably add :growlithe: but won’t that make me super weak to ground? I also was aware :Axew: and other dd sweepers r bad rn but, yk, I like Axew and dd sweepers seemed fun.

The move set for :Axew: is very much up for debate and I’m not sure what to do there… probably will add back first impressions if that’s more viable.

Anyways thanks for the advice, I’ll try it out!
growlithe hisui not standard growlithe btw,
the ground thing, I just noticed you had double rocks, drop pawniard for vullaby lol and holtorb>toed will help vs grounds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)