Other Pre-DLC SV Monotype Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mood. Okay, here we go, starting with the lowest hanging fruit:

:sv/flutter mane:
:flareon: Hey guys, did you know that in terms of companionship, Flareon is objectively the most huggable mon? While their maximum temperature is likely too much for most, they are capable of controlling it, so they can set themselves to the perfect temperature for you. Along with that, they have a lot of fluff, making them undeniably incredibly soft to touch. But that's not all, they have a very respectable special defense stat of 110, which means that they can eat Shadow Balls for breakfast.
Relevant calcs:
252 SpA Flutter Mane Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Flareon: 124-147 (37.1 - 44%)
252+ Atk Flareon Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flutter Mane: 348-411 (138.6 - 163.7%)

Now, if you were wondering why I was using Flareon, I was running a little experiment where I'd make teams based on which mon in a type had the highest value in a particular stat. Flareon not only has the highest Atk available in Fire right now, but Guts on top of that. It dies to a sandal being thrown at it but it does have respectable Special bulk, or at least, respectable enough to deal with this boogeyman. On that note, you know what currently has the highest SpD in Fire?

:chi-yu: This funky fish is doing so much work for Fire right now it isn't even funny. It's versatile enough that I'd run two on a team if I could. But, for our purposes, I want to highlight a bulky Assault Vest set, which I have been having Modest success with. Beats more popular opposing Chi-Yu one-on-one (unless you get repeatedly Flinch-haxed), and is an incredibly serious answer to Flutter Mane.
Relevant calcs (not coded for the 25% reduction in SpD on Flutter Mane, which makes Hex a guaranteed 2HKO, and Lava Plume go bonkers in Sun):
252 SpA Flutter Mane Moonblast vs. 8 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Chi-Yu: 76-90 (30 - 35.5%)
252+ SpA Chi-Yu Hex (65 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flutter Mane: 124-148 (49.4 - 58.9%)
252+ SpA Chi-Yu Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Flutter Mane: 114-135 (45.4 - 53.7%)

A lot of Pokemon are on the watchlist right now, i play few games with Dragon to see how Roaring Moon, Baxcalibur and Cyclizar works in this meta.

Roaring Moon

I see some different spread adamant or jolly, a lot of choice on his last move but anyway with Dragon Dance and Booster Energy this guy is a monster.
He can sweep every type, too fast, hit like a truck even without any Dragon Dance thanks to Protosynthesis.
This pokemon is too good for Monotype at my eyes, here is a little replay where i got destroy and Roaring Moon come at turn 19 and 6-0.

Cyclizar

I was very curious about this Pokemon and he is crazy good.
He can Spin and give momentum to the team, this isn't has impressive than Roaring Moon but this was what Dragon need.
But the crazy part about Cyclizar is Shed Tail a move who work like belly drum you use it one time but this is very good, Cyclizar can use it 3 or 4 time in some match up and with his high Speed Tier he can easily Shed Tail for an immunity or a resistance and give you a big advantage.
In this replay Fairy vs Dragon, i have 0 super effective move, this game have to be really easy for my opponent.
My opp made a mistake he try to put screen with Klefki on paper this is good in every Match up but here with Klefki on the field he give me a free turn and i take the momentum free sub. This game was closer than the preview thanks to Cyclizar.
For me we don't have to ban Cyclizar with the first wave of ban but this pokemon is insane even with Dragapult Hydreigon or Dragonite and at my eyes this pokemon will be ban this gen.

Baxcalibur

This one will be short,
This pokemon is very good in dragon ice neutrality and good bulk ability to check Chien Pao and Iron Bundle made it mandatory in dragon team.
He hit very hard and some type like poison have big problem against this guy but he isn't as fast as the other broken pokemon in the metagame and i think we have to wait the first ban before having a real opinion on this Pokemon.

Outside Ice fairy and some problem against ghost, i think dragon is really good in this meta and don't lost many Pokemon from the 7g Dragalge lost Flip Turn but Garchomp win spikes one of the best type for sure.

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
New bans can be found here

And reminder, patience is a virtue - the SM council was voting for quick bans once a week and the meta turned out great...learn to enjoy to abuse some of the wild stuff we have now - since it might be the only time we ever get to use them here ! I feel like this definitely needs to be reminded to certain people in the thread and community at large, many times at that.

Anyways, have fun with the new meta, and keep the pertinent posts coming !

I would like to request a mon NOT be banned! Cyclizar has a very OP move called shed-tail. And while I can understand that move being banned, Cyclizar itself isn't so Over powered that the Mon itself deserves a ban. The Devs seem to be considering a ban, and I feel that is unnecessary

I would like to request a mon NOT be banned! Cyclizar has a very OP move called shed-tail. And while I can understand that move being banned, Cyclizar itself isn't so Over powered that the Mon itself deserves a ban. The Devs seem to be considering a ban, and I feel that is unnecessary
If you read the bans post above you can see their thoughts on Cyclizar at the end of it

I may meme on council a bit but I think these are 10/10 bans for the tier to start our second week. As the honorable MPL 3K andy Vodoom has said, "I can actually play this shit".
I've been playing water without Palafin past 2 days, even without Pala I was able to go something like 28-8 and get into top 50 pretty fast. Still an A tier type imo.
Ghost is still S tier, even if Flutter had gotten banned it would be at minimum A tier. I'd been able to have tons of success without stone/flutter since day 1 on Ghost.
Booster ban I am SO HAPPY ABOUT. I was under the impression that it's ban was up in the air so seeing it gone is great. If booster had stayed in a whole bunch of mess would've been about with Paradox mons that aren't broken without it being a whole lot more troublesome. It immediately makes Iron Valiant/Roaring Moon/Flutter Mane less oppressive than they were.
Lastly, everyone had Flutter as a top 3 on list to ban. I definitely had flutter mane syndrome at the start but kinda turned around to thinking we should suspect it without booster. Seeing it still in is important to get a better sense of what it can actually do and whether it should be banned/suspected.

What I'm mostly curious about right now is how Roaring Moon responds to the booster ban. I can imagine Iron Valiant replacing Booster with Life Orb or a Choice item, and Flutter going choiced, 3 attack life orb, maybe leftovers. No Booster means Roaring Moon doesn't have the same sweeping potential with no repercussions, not to mention the acrobatics set would have to run no item to help Dark vs. Fighting.

As far as what I have on my watchlist for potential suspects, it would be Chien Pao, Chi-Yu, Flutter Mane, Roaring Moon, Annihilape, and Cyclizar/Shed Tail. Council mentioned a potential linkage of Shed Tail to Baton Pass in order to ban the move without affecting Cyclizar, which would defs be the pro gamer move. If that's impossible then Cyclizar would likely need to be suspected. It's utility on dragon cannot be understated.
I started playing some more dark today, I pretty much didn't touch the type for most of the meta so far with only a lil use at the beginning and Chien Pao and Chi Yu are still insane.
Chien Pao I moreso see as a mon limiting alot of options in the meta, with the worst cases being types such as grass where the normal offensive counters Breloom/Meowscarada get OHKO'd by a life orb Ice Shard.
Chi Yu I see as a bit worse. It's VERY easy to get a sub up, and once a sub is up it can either start attacking or nasty plot and either way things are dying. For builds that still have bulkier support options, it can very easily lead to a nightmare scenario, and the fact that Chi Yu isn't super predictable on what set it has whether it be Sub/NP, Specs, or a variation such as Flame Charge, makes the immediate response to it very important.
Flutter Mane I think people have adjusted to for the most part, but is still a clear suspect since it is has been such a meta defining pokemon. I'd imagine it's on the council's watchlist but we'll see how dangerous it is.
Annihilape I see as worse than Flutter Mane in what it can do with it's bulk up or resto chesto set, especially should Revival Blessing become coded correctly and Rage Fist becomes even more dangerous.
And finally, Roaring Moon. Even with the Booster Ban, screens support with it's speed tier and attack stat make a dragon dance set still have insane sweeping potential. Perhaps people will try out some other options like a choiced set, but it'll still be an extremely dangerous sweeper. If anything I imagine people may just experiment more with it. No item acrobatics will still be solid in the fighting matchup for dark, life orb DD would effectively be an attack boost booster energy with less longevity, perhaps something like roost becomes an option. Either way I think Booster Energy was the no brainer path before for a monster with alot of ways it can be dangerous.

hi everyone, new here. so lowkey I feel like ghost is broken but you all are gonna have to tell me.

backstory time: as far as I have known up until this point I am absolutely dogshit at this game. I would like to hype myself up in one of these trying times on some affirmation shi but no for real like my average ELO be making youngster joey think he can get the jump on my ass. they would stick my ass in petalburg woods as an ncp deadass like I am for real not good at this game

any way long story short is after six dabs and half an edible (hypothetical and deniable) I threw together that I thought would be a fun offensive ghost team and somehow I am 30th on the ladder
which I'm not even sure is that good fr fr but I feel like something is wrong because I'm winning games

as much as I would like to believe I found God on the ladder and leveled up on some big boss Bowser shit I really think it's just because ghost is fucked right now. here's the team for reference, the sets are purposeful but I will not be taking questions at this time.

anyway I am having the time of my life. I used Will-O-Wisp on a fire type twice by accident lmaooo still getting ELO though. what a great day. anyway,, something should be done probably. godspeed everyone happy holidays

If you missed it, Council mentioned trying to tie Shed Tail into the Baton Pass ban. That's the best case scenario, if they can't do that then the plan would be to Suspect and potentially Ban Cyclizar.

If they can't ban the move outright by tying it to Baton Pass Clause, the correct procedure in my opinion would be to Suspect/Ban Cyclizar in current meta and Ban Shed Tail outright once Home Transfer hits. The difference here being that Orthoworm and Steel in it's current form does not at all show Shed Tail as overpowered. Maybe I've missed some matchups like Normal or something that would demonstrate otherwise, but Orthoworm is not at all a busted user of the move imo. Steel teams as I've seen them not only do not need Orthoworm but arguably perform better without it. We could see further development in the meta that shows something cracked with the move, but I don't see that as the case. Post Home Transfer Steel is an entirely different beast, and would likely be able to make disgusting immunity cores with Steel Bird + Worm Guy + Tran + Gold Tube Man with support from Hoodra, Kingambit, etc. At the very least if we can't ban the move right now and end up banning Cyclizar, I see it as temporary till Spring for this reason.

hi everyone, new here. so lowkey I feel like ghost is broken but you all are gonna have to tell me.

backstory time: as far as I have known up until this point I am absolutely dogshit at this game. I would like to hype myself up in one of these trying times on some affirmation shi but no for real like my average ELO be making youngster joey think he can get the jump on my ass. they would stick my ass in petalburg woods as an ncp deadass like I am for real not good at this game

any way long story short is after six dabs and half an edible (hypothetical and deniable) I threw together that I thought would be a fun offensive ghost team and somehow I am 30th on the ladder
which I'm not even sure is that good fr fr but I feel like something is wrong because I'm winning games

as much as I would like to believe I found God on the ladder and leveled up on some big boss Bowser shit I really think it's just because ghost is fucked right now. here's the team for reference, the sets are purposeful but I will not be taking questions at this time.

anyway I am having the time of my life. I used Will-O-Wisp on a fire type twice by accident lmaooo still getting ELO though. what a great day. anyway,, something should be done probably. godspeed everyone happy holidays
You probs just missed it but Houndstone and Booster Energy got banned like an hour ago.

I am kinda happy that Booster Energy is gone. It makes the most sense as it is the most broken item for the the specific mons. Sure, Electric Terrain and Sunny Day will still be around, but it only lasts for a set amount of turns. Dark and Fairy Paradoxes may still be a problem, with it having screen support in Grimmsnarl/Klefki. However, I'm glad that they looked at the root of the problem rather than its abusers.

Glad it's not just me. Though I wonder if some of this is due to how sweeper offense this meta game is. Like in a lot of match ups if you make one or two bad decisions you can easily get swept but the match is winnable if you play those first couple of rounds perfectly.

Anyone made a decent ground mono type. I’m having a bit of trouble. Speaking and asking for advice?!!??
https://pokepast.es/086f980d3e8fa4d8 here's one that i have sitting for quite a while! Garchomp and Ting-Lu set up rocks with phazing moves to prevent any setup or further spike hazards. Clodsire is there to be a wall especially towards Flutter Manes (that don't run Psyshock but yk). Sandy Shocks is there to punch holes in the special side while pivoting through Volt Switch, Great Tusk does Great Tusk things, and Krookodile sweeps at the end with Scarf Moxie. The team isn't all that perfect but I've gotten quite a few wins with it, feel free to adjust to your liking though!

Hi guys, I wanted to ask if there is a different format for monotype since I am still encountering Houndstone and Booster Energy abusers.

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hi guys, I wanted to ask if there is a different format for monotype since I am still encountering Houndstone and Booster Energy abusers.
Bans are currently not implemented in PS yet. It'll be banned in the builder when they get to it :blobnom:

YO WHATS UP
fighting and water type main here, wanted to ask for tips on improving my mono fight team
ghost gang (Annihilape) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Close Combat
- Cross Chop
- Brick Break

bird chad (Flamigo)
Ability: Scrappy
Tera Type: Fighting
Jolly Nature
- Throat Chop
- Close Combat
- Liquidation
- Low Kick

mammoth (Great Tusk) @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
- Brick Break
- Close Combat

zappy hands (Iron Hands) @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Brick Break
- Drain Punch

zesty god (Iron Valiant) @ Booster Energy
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch
- Brick Break
- Close Combat

anti dark (Slither Wing) @ Booster Energy
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- Flame Charge
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up

YO WHATS UP
fighting and water type main here, wanted to ask for tips on improving my mono fight team
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Close Combat
- Cross Chop
- Brick Break

bird chad (Flamigo)
Jolly Nature
- Throat Chop
- Close Combat
- Liquidation
- Low Kick

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
- Brick Break
- Close Combat

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Brick Break
- Drain Punch

Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch
- Brick Break
- Close Combat

Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- Flame Charge
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
Dear god man why is every movepool just fighting moves. Like you're running Annihilape with just fighting attacks. Iron Valiant with 3, I don't get why you're running brick break + drain punch together on things. 0 special attackers, 0 hazards, 0 hazard control, you have body slam for some reason. Auto swept by any fast special attacker with a s.e move. Booster energy is banned. Please go to Mono Bazaar and grab a fighting team from there.

YO WHATS UP
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Close Combat
- Cross Chop
- Brick Break

bird chad (Flamigo)
Jolly Nature
- Throat Chop
- Close Combat
- Liquidation
- Low Kick

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
- Brick Break
- Close Combat

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Brick Break
- Drain Punch

Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch
- Brick Break
- Close Combat

Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- Flame Charge
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
K dawg in an effort to help you, and mostly help myself because mono ground aint gonna cut it with how offensive this meta is (its a skill issue im bad) i am gonna give you some sets And what I think of your pokemon with what I have seen and tried with mono fighting. First no booster Energy its banned thank god.

Annihilape @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- rage punch
- bulk up
- taunt / u-turn

This is a great mon that only needs two attacks rage fist and drain punch. The last two slots are bulk up and I think taunt. This ia a anti-lead set that will let you throw it out against dark and fairy to stop screens and bulk up on the switch. A diffrent ev spread might be better with more in hp and spdef to help it last. U-turn is an option to pivot.

bird chad (Flamigo) - pick hawchula.

This should be a hawchula. Flamingo is a great mon and was the mvp of my run in s/v but hawchula is just better. Unburden plus a way to proc it gives it easy sweeps against many types.

Def not flamingo (Hawlucha) @ White Herb / electric seed
Ability: Unburden
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Your choice between electric seed or white herb. Proc unburden with a close combat (white herb) or a electric terrain from Iron hands or Iron Valiant (electric seed). Sword Dance for dumb dumb attack sweep from there. I think white herb will be better since it allows you to keep momentum amd frees up your other pokemons moves slots.

mammoth (Great Tusk) @ leftovers/ lum berry
Adamant Nature
- headlong rush
- rapid spin
- stealth rocks
- Close Combat

This is the house where mono-fighting builds its home. Its a rapid spin / stealth rock mon that goldingo does not want to switch into. An ev spread of max hp and max attack will allow it to eat a showdow ball and ko back with headlong rush. Rapid spin can fix spead and can allow it to wall break or sweep if neccesary.

zappy hands (Iron Hands) @ Assult Vest / leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- volt switch / electric terrain
- wild charge
- Drain Punch

He is fat and tanky with an assult best helping it on the special side. Iron hands is a decensive powerhouse. Idk about evs but it does not need attack. Its taking hits healing back with drain punch and slow volt switch to bring in iron valiant or Annihilape to speep. Electric terrain will allow it help sep up iron Valiant or hawchula. The only question is how much you think you want a strong electric move in wild charge. He is tanky enought to take a brave bird from corvinight without boosts and ko it with wild charge. I think, i am on my phone i don't wanna do calcs im almost done pooping.

zesty god (Iron Valiant) @ weakness policy / choice specs
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- aura sphere
- spirt break / moon blast
-
-

Zesty he is what makes him zestyier is his amazing special move pool thay stops your team from being completely walled by hippowdown and other physical walls. Idk what to run in its last to slots so I left them open.(energy ball, shadow ball, its still 130 attack unboosted so drain punch is allways a option) It can set up electric terrain and run agility to help hawchula and iron hands. Or it can run more coverage with choice specs to force 50/50s.

anti dark (Slither Wing) @ assult vest / leftovers
EVs: 252 hp / 4 SpD / 252 def
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- close combat
- willo - wisp / lunge
- u - turn

Lol what is this mon? Its bulky has wilo-wisp and a good move set. You have better bulk up mons tho. This mon can support your team with will - o - whisp (but gastrodon can't have scald GF i hate you) but I think you should maximize you special bulk with the assult vest and run lunge. This gives you a decent mon against phsycic. You can also run wild charge, flare blitz, or earthquake depending on what you think you need.

Couple nitpicks but.
K dawg in an effort to help you, and mostly help myself because mono ground aint gonna cut it with how offensive this meta is (its a skill issue im bad) i am gonna give you some sets And what I think of your pokemon with what I have seen and tried with mono fighting. First no booster Energy its banned thank god.

Annihilape @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- rage punch
- bulk up
- taunt / u-turn

This is a great mon that only needs two attacks rage fist and drain punch. The last two slots are bulk up and I think taunt. This ia a anti-lead set that will let you throw it out against dark and fairy to stop screens and bulk up on the switch. A diffrent ev spread might be better with more in hp and spdef to help it last. U-turn is an option to pivot.
Haven't seen Annihilape with Life Orb, and haven't seen them with U-Turn either. Bulk up sets either run taunt as you said, or Resto-Chesto. The other 2 being a rocks+taunt lead or scarf, which would probs be neat with revival blessing support from Pawmi. As an item on Bulk up if you're not doing Chesto Berry, Punching Glove is what I mostly see used. Also max special bulk is optimal for the resto chesto.

bird chad (Flamigo) - pick hawchula.

This should be a hawchula. Flamingo is a great mon and was the mvp of my run in s/v but hawchula is just better. Unburden plus a way to proc it gives it easy sweeps against many types.

Def not flamingo (Hawlucha) @ White Herb / electric seed
Ability: Unburden
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Your choice between electric seed or white herb. Proc unburden with a close combat (white herb) or a electric terrain from Iron hands or Iron Valiant (electric seed). Sword Dance for dumb dumb attack sweep from there. I think white herb will be better since it allows you to keep momentum amd frees up your other pokemons moves slots.
There is a niche in Flamingo with Scrappy, but I agree Hawlucha is better. That being said you missed it's biggest set in monotype - Power Herb Sky Attack. Electric Seed is also not run at all in this meta, that's an OU set where you'd be able to setup terrain for it. Sky Attack would be run over Taunt if that's what's chosen, though White Herb is probs the second most common set as you listed.
mammoth (Great Tusk) @ leftovers/ lum berry
Adamant Nature
- headlong rush
- rapid spin
- stealth rocks
- Close Combat

This is the house where mono-fighting builds its home. Its a rapid spin / stealth rock mon that goldingo does not want to switch into. An ev spread of max hp and max attack will allow it to eat a showdow ball and ko back with headlong rush. Rapid spin can fix spead and can allow it to wall break or sweep if neccesary.
Nobody's switching Gholdengo into Great Tusk, and overall it's usually more beneficial to have it with max hp/defense, and I would also recommend EQ/Knock off over Headlong Rush/Close Combat, though these are more preferences than what's necessary.
zappy hands (Iron Hands) @ Assult Vest / leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- volt switch / electric terrain
- wild charge
- Drain Punch
Much more opinionated here than Great Tusk, Iron Hands should be Max HP/Special Defense with an Assault Vest. Also Heavy Slam should be put. max Special D let's it take less than 50% from +1 or Specs Flutter Mane, with Heavy Slam to OHKO back. It's beneficial in other situations, but that's the biggest benefit from Iron Hands. A moveset of Volt Switch/Wild Charge/Drain Punch/Heavy slam with max special bulk would be better as a result.
zesty god (Iron Valiant) @ weakness policy / choice specs
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- aura sphere
- spirt break / moon blast
-
-

Zesty he is what makes him zestyier is his amazing special move pool thay stops your team from being completely walled by hippowdown and other physical walls. Idk what to run in its last to slots so I left them open.(energy ball, shadow ball, its still 130 attack unboosted so drain punch is allways a option) It can set up electric terrain and run agility to help hawchula and iron hands. Or it can run more coverage with choice specs to force 50/50s.
Again, E-Terrain fighting is not the plan. Also Valiant is NOT living a super effective hit. Life Orb or Specs would be better than Weakness Policy, but you're correct in that it's the Special Attacker. something like Calm Mind/Psychic/Aura Sphere/Moonblast (Spirit Break is physical). If specs, Grass Knot is a solid option to help with stuff like Dondozo, but Tbolt is also great and is has a couple options.
anti dark (Slither Wing) @ assult vest / leftovers
EVs: 252 hp / 4 SpD / 252 def
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- close combat
- willo - wisp / lunge
- u - turn

Lol what is this mon? Its bulky has wilo-wisp and a good move set. You have better bulk up mons tho. This mon can support your team with will - o - whisp (but gastrodon can't have scald GF i hate you) but I think you should maximize you special bulk with the assult vest and run lunge. This gives you a decent mon against phsycic. You can also run wild charge, flare blitz, or earthquake depending on what you think you need.
First off, if you want to help vs. psychic, the evs/set is not it. It would be far more threatening with a Life Orb Max Attack to power off with First Impression. Honestly my opinion of Slither Wing is it's far more beneficial to Bug than Fighting though, and Fighting has some other solid options as well like Tauros to screenbreak, Breloom to help with the water matchup as well as benefit the team with Spore + Mach Punch, or something like Gallade which 2hkos the whole tier with a band.

Last edited:

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Unlike last gen, steel is such a mediocre type in SV; probably worse than mediocre. Pretty much any fire Pokémon will give it a difficult time; water tops it hard as well. Losing Heatran and Ferrothorn is already too much to overcome, but then both fire and water got a lot more powerful this gen too. Not really sure of all the types available why I started this gen playing steel exclusively and continue to do so. I like a challenge, perhaps? Or pain. Or both. On the plus side, at least none of us has to suffer through the triple/quadruple Protects anymore.

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Unlike last gen, steel is such a mediocre type in SV; probably worse than mediocre. Pretty much any fire Pokémon will give it a difficult time; water tops it hard as well. Losing Heatran and Ferrothorn is already too much to overcome, but then both fire and water got a lot more powerful this gen too. Not really sure of all the types available why I started this gen playing steel exclusively and continue to do so. I like a challenge, perhaps? Or pain. Or both. On the plus side, at least none of us has to suffer through the triple/quadruple Protects anymore.
Thoughts on Screens Steel? Nasty Plot Lucario* and Swords Dance Scizor seem to be potent threats against top types like Dark and Fairy, while Kingambit in theory can beat up Ghost teams not having Annihilape. Steel also has choice scarf Iron Treads which conveniently outspeeds Scarf Chi-Yu if ever + Volt Switch/Stone Edge to catch Talonflame/Rotom-H switching in.

*Vacuum Wave Luc also picks off Iron Bundle, which is cool...

....speaking of Annihilape, what is your counter to the Bulk Up + Taunt set, if you have one....? I'm getting smushed by it and honestly feels like an x matchup

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Thoughts on Screens Steel? Nasty Plot Lucario* and Swords Dance Scizor seem to be potent threats against top types like Dark and Fairy, while Kingambit in theory can beat up Ghost teams not having Annihilape. Steel also has choice scarf Iron Treads which conveniently outspeeds Scarf Chi-Yu if ever + Volt Switch/Stone Edge to catch Talonflame/Rotom-H switching in.

*Vacuum Wave Luc also picks off Iron Bundle, which is cool...

....speaking of Annihilape, what is your counter to the Bulk Up + Taunt set, if you have one....? I'm getting smushed by it and honestly feels like an x matchup
Screens sound fun. So far I have only used one balanced steel team—kingambit (assault vest), iron treads, gholdengo (sp.def), scizor, corviknight, and forrestress. Mostly standard sets. I’m continually trying to improve it.

I don’t believe I have been swept by bulk up annihilape yet. Most likely just lucky and haven’t run into many yet. Corviknight’s BB and scizor’s BP help vs it, I’d say. Priorities also help against teams with one fire-type. X against fire teams, which goes without saying lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)