Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Unfortunate" doesn't begin to describe my voting, this community rewards bad tiering decisions and nothing else, I am beyond convinced at this point. After getting completely tooled by voting with my barely attaining voting requirements, losing this way somehow felt even worse than I had thought possible. My voting was superior, my melodramatic arguement was superior, and I lost, so I don't see a reason to continue engaging in an activity where what is within my control is overwhelmingly outweighed by 0.75%.
its over, this is the best post in the entire thread, might as well pack it up, everyone

in other news can we quickban the fish now?

So-called “free thinkers” when someone criticizes a blatantly wrong tiering decision
“Unfortunate" doesn't begin to describe my voting, this community rewards bad tiering decisions and nothing else, I am beyond convinced at this point. After getting completely tooled by voting with my barely attaining voting requirements, losing this way somehow felt even worse than I had thought possible. My voting was superior, my melodramatic arguement was superior, and I lost, so I don't see a reason to continue engaging in an activity where what is within my control is overwhelmingly outweighed by 0.75%.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
If I wanted to fight NPCs I’d go on cartridge

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
So over 200 voters supported action on Tera and found out that their votes didn’t count because their voices were drowned out by a vocal minority, and now competitive is dead until the Council decides to retest it. Perhaps it’s time to make our voices known through more effective means. I suggest that anyone who voted for tiering action should boycott OU until a retest happens. The meta isn’t worth playing in its current state anyway, so you won’t lose anything of value by not playing it.
keep spitting g, i need more copypastas for the discord

Last edited:

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
I have no unironic opinion on Tera (my ironic opinion is "lol skill issue + l2p + l2s"), but it's absolutely hilarious watching people mald on Smogon.com because a single decision didn't go their way. We all knew that the supermajority required for Tera being restricted/banned was never gonna be reached anyway, it was a pipe dream considering the solid amount of people wanting no action. If you're in the Anti-Tera camp, I would just place my hopes on a resuspect ASAP.

Mark my word, this is the cringest moment of Smogon's history. Making this kind of suspect a "supermajority" one was such as poor decision to be honest. People voted, 59% said they wanted something done about Tera but eh it seems it doesn't matter. I can't wait to watch the next SPL this is going to be something..yeah something. I’m full of bitterness, really a bad day for Smogon's strategy.
I disagree. I believe keeping this a supermajority like it historically has been in the past was the right move here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the methodology behind making OU suspects have a supermajority of 60% as opposed to a raw majority of 50%+1 is because OU is the most stable of the usage-based tiers, since it doesn't suffer from the unpredictable tier shifts that lower tiers are beholden to. This means that a greater portion of the OU tier must agree that the aspect in question is banworthy because it is unlikely aspects will be introduced that make it balanced (well, at least before DLC was a thing), as opposed to lower tiers where Mon A can be broken for a month, but then Mons B-E drop into the tier that beat Mon A handily while Mons F-H rise that helped enable it, and suddenly Mon A isn't broken anymore. This is an extreme example, but my point is that a simple majority works better in lower tiers than it does in OU and that bans/unbans are harder to revert in OU than in other tiers. Thus, a supermajority to ensure that a wide portion of a community agrees with a decision is a good thing to ensure action is not hastily taken.

Think about it like this. Taking action on Tera is a huge decision, one that will have ramifications on how Gen 9 will be tiered for the rest of its lifespan. Would it be fair for 51% to decide action should be taken over the voices of a near-equal 49% believing no action is the better choice? Or would a 60% supermajority be fairer?

So-called “free thinkers” when someone criticizes a blatantly wrong tiering decision
“Unfortunate" doesn't begin to describe your reply, this community rewards bad meme takes and nothing else, I am beyond convinced at this point. After getting completely tooled on by memes with your not even attaining voting requirements, you losing this way somehow feels even better than I had thought possible. Our memeing was superior, your melodramatic counter-argument was inferior, and you lost, so I don't see a reason to continue engaging in an activity where what is within my control overwhelmingly outclasses your ability to meme back by 75%.

Drifting

wrapped in plastic
is a Tiering Contributor
Guys I need some react score everyone like this post while you're still looking at the thread

Also to make it relevant Tera is probably not finished and we'll probably be voting for this or preview come 2024. Wanna see what this decision means for Ubers and LC also.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Unlike some crybabies I think supermajority was super necessary for this vote, even as someone who would've preferred to see action. Tera is the defining mechanic of the gen and shouldn't be banned unless its very clear its what the community as a whole really wants.

I also know and want to mention this vote got a lot of "tourism" so votes might not be 1:1 with what the long-term playerbase will look like for this gen, but I think it's important that anyone that puts forth the effort to get reqs gets their say. I remember in olden days of having my vote rejected despite meeting reqs for that type of reason and it felt awful.

My point I guess is there is no excuses. This vote NEEDED to be a supermajority to feel fair acting on such a massive part of the gen, and this vote makes waves in policy for how the rest of the tiers will work in SV. People that didn't want to see action came out and voted and made it happen. Gotta respect that, instead of calling the vote a sham.

Mark my word, this is the cringest moment of Smogon's history. Making this kind of suspect a "supermajority" one was such as poor decision to be honest. People voted, 59% said they wanted something done about Tera but eh it seems it doesn't matter. I can't wait to watch the next SPL this is going to be something..yeah something. I’m full of bitterness, really a bad day for Smogon's strategy.
Hey, so I'm just going to keep this simple and brief. Don't bother Terastallization anymore, either through replying "Action, Outright ban " on its vote or elsewhere like on Discord/whatever other platform. Just leave it alone and be on your way. I know you are most likely not equally involved or that there might be others that I didn't include here, but the message stays the same. This will be the only and final warning. If I see this behavior continuing I'll infract you and disable your right vote. Feel free to respond to this if you want or not, doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)