Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, breloom should always be faster than gambit and should click spore 100% of the time. It’s actually a very solid late game check to kingambit because of that, and should genuinely be ran more for those needing an answer to gambit
Right, that's why I pointed out that Band Breloom was not ideal as your Gambit check, but worth calling out for folks desperately searching for something that works. Spore Breloom with Sash or Loaded Dice puts in work against anything that's not Tera Flying.

I think a lot of us would agree it’s worth testing “blind Tera”, and proposing the “disclosed Tera” meta as an alternative as a first step.

it keeps almost all the fun of Tera , and might actually make noticeable difference into how narrow margins of error are for games.

the alternative is basically to ban another 5+ Pokémon like a stack of dominoes lol.

it’s gonna be one or the other .. might as well preserve the diversity as long as possible
Tera preview would help a lot for what is the biggest complain about it, having the vote to be an outright ban-no ban would be unfair for the anti-tera side because that 100% would lead to no restriction at all, many pro-tera which are open to a restriction would vote for something like preview but won't vote for ban so in a ban-dnb situation the anti-tera side is going to lose.
Quoting you threw together since its all the same convo and all have points,

If this meta is chock full of what could be perceived (possibly rightfully so) as broken shit, when is it a fault of the mons and not a fault of our logic?

This is in no words meant to mean that you all are unequivocally wronf af, because y'aren't. There are a very small group of relevant mons rn, being Tusk, Gambit, Valiant, Garg, Ghold, and like 6 others I can't name, that just fucking dominate., discussion and ladder alike, and they don't actively care what item they run when proper building lets all but 1 carry quick claw of all things. And yet, it is their numbers and role in making a quasi-stable, if generally wack for lack of a better term, meta, that makes me wonder if they aren't fully broken.

Its an uneasy concept for sure, but like how Landorus was the king, who kept things in line in prior gens, now it seems that mons like Kingambit and Tusk are keeping ghosts and hazards just at bay. They provide genuine good to the tier, even if they are scarily close to being oppressive, if not already over the line. They, not just the two I mentioned, are all solid mons who generally keep eachother in check, with garg and gambit needing to save and subsequently use their tera to avoid a fighting tusk disaster, or how gambit keeps dragapult from ghosting all over the meta.

Some of them are just genuinely good wallbreakers, like Valiant, while others are amazing utilitymons like Ghold and Tusk. Garg allows more defensive teams to bust past the bulky steels and waters that could wall them back, as well as just being an amazing physical wall / ghost resist when you need one.

All these mons, through their aspects and abilities, provide but one of the many, many things that this meta fucking needs to be slightly stable, even if that stability hinges around them and only them being used. And thats where we loop back to the beginning.

This centralization, not around one dominating force but around a round table of heinous knights, is a problem. You have the meta, and thats it. Off meta ideas are either quashed by raw force, or by being subverted with meta mons. The quick claw panic only worked because it utilized already amazing Pokemon.

So amazing, in fact, that I believe they are S+, and cannot be banned without great catastrophe. Imagine if Tusk was banned. Just tusk, gone. No more great spinner, no more gholdengo answer, no more insane role comp that lets it do what this meta needs done. Or how about no Kingambit? Gholdengo and Dragapult now have no large dark threat on the horizon every game. They only fear other ghosts now.

Ultimately, they are all keystones in a fucked up arch, and an arch that likely needs remodeling from the ground up. They make me question if they are broken, or if OU needs to change, amidst a million middle and extreme ground options. These times are unique, I think, and action must be taken for sure, but what that action is, I have no clue.

Perhaps ubers being a tier by usage, however silly and shitty that may be, is one such path, as is banning tera and going from there. Perhaps the answer was all along some plucky UU star waiting to be born.

Good night everybody, and don't let the Golisopod bite.
The issue with the top mons is that they have a crazy level of adaptation, Gambit gets banned? Tusk is still the best hazard control in the tier and has an amazing stab combo so now that doesn't need to run defensive sets that often so can run max speed to be more consistent against Gholdengo and just do more damage with CC and HR, the same with Valiant, if Gambit gets banned then it might just drop the fighting move from its sets and use other coverage. Almost any ban would make the top mons better because they would have a thing less to worry about and optimize their sets for the rest of the tier, which might result in them being more oppressive for the rest of the mons since they became stronger.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
As Mr. E mentioned, SV feels very much like BW2. A drastic increase in the power level with seemingly broken options that the playerbase calling for suspect tests but couldn’t go through with it due to the domino effect they might have if banned.

Tusk is the most important Pokemon in the metagame with Gambit being a close second. Tusk never gets discussed when it comes to suspects but Gambit has very good reasons to support a suspect test for it.

Gambit’s bulk, Sucker Punch, and raw power with Supreme Overlord makes it difficult to stop. Add to the fact that Tera can either push its strength to obscene levels or make it harder to check. For reference, even resists might fall to a Tera Dark Sucker Punch.

+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Enamorus: 345-407 (119.3 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sneasler: 390-459 (129.5 - 152.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Fragile resists but my point still stands.

We all know Kingambit is sus but I’m not sure if we can go through with banning it because of the domino effect that was previously mentioned.

Gambit is a ghost check that also keeps offensive teams in check with priority Sucker Punch and breaks holes with its raw dmg output. Take away the mustached king and suddenly ghosts and offensive teams become much harder to handle consistently.

You can argue that pokemon like Valiant, Bax, and Garg don’t have as much importance and could be removed to balance the meta, but is that the right move or was the culprit Tera this whole time?

carbonlifeform made an interesting point about how the meta threats were designed to have intentional flaws to balance their strong feats. Gambit is 4x weak to Fighting and reliant on Sucker Punch 50/50s vs faster targets, Garg has a terrible defensive typing, Bax is weak to rocks, Ghold has exploitable weaknesses to Dark n’ Ground and average stats outside of SpA.

Even Pokemon that were banned had this trait. Espa had a mediocre offensive typing and old gen staple Volc was balanced by its infamous 4x rock weakness. Tera pushed these two, possibly more over the edge and will likely result in a snowball effect of suspect tests and bans.

Regardless if you think Tera is a fun mechanic or not, if we are to ensure a healthier metagame moving forward without resorting to more mons being banned due to a mechanic pushing them over the edge, then we have to take action on Tera. Whether its restricting it or banning it outright.

Even if Tera is gone, SV OU will still have its own identity. Gen 9 brought in several new changes and brand new metagame staples. Less distribution of Toxic, Knock Off, and Defog combined with the nerf to recovery moves as a way to nerf defensive Pokemon. An increase of spikes and limited hazard removal encouraging more aggressive plays. People need to realize that we do not need a generational gimmick to make each Gen unique. The evidence is in Gens 1-5.

Gen 1: Dominance of Normal and Psychic types. Higher crit chances, no items, special as one stat.

Gen 2: Dominance of Snorlax, introduction of items, spikes, and the Dark/Steel typing, Sleep Talk sets.

Gen 3: Dominance of Ttar, introduction of weather, abilities, Band and natures. Sand Spikes, Dragon Dance sweepers, Calm Mind sweepers, rise of Baton Pass.

Gen 4: The Physical/Special split, Rocks, the Lead Metagame, Clefable balance, U-Turn, Specs, LO, and Scarf introduced.

Gen 5: Power Creep, Weather Wars, Hidden Abilities, Dominance of Magic Guard Psychics, Scald, Dragmag.

Even Post-DS era metas have their own identity outside of their generational gimmicks.

Gen 6: Introduction of the Fairy Type, buffed Defog and Knock Off, nerfed Weather and Steel Types, dominance of Screens Offense.

Gen 7: Tapus, UBs, Ash Gren, Mag, Pex, nerfs to Burn, Resurgence of Rain, Increased Defog distribution, Dominance of Offense and Fat.

Gen 8: Dex Cut, Boots, Melmetal, Rilla, Pult, Dominance of Regen cores, Buffed Teleport, Knock Off Spam.

I agree with Ctann, the reality is if we only have two choices ban or no ban there might be a favor towards no ban to keep the mechanic even though Tera might be a lot sometimes it might not be enough to warranty a ban. I feel like having an option of restrictions can be the best way to get both sides to come to a compromise (I’m talking about the first suspect test regarding Tera)
Tera remains unrestricted because the pro-ban voices were so loud, that a number of people whose preferences went "Preview > No Action > Ban" thought that voting for any action meant voting for a ban, so they voted strategically for no action. Removing the option for tera preview, and leaving it a simple ban/no ban, will get anyone holding that preference to vote 'no ban' again.

Then the crowd that hates tera will whine and gnash their teeth and complain. Tera preview isn't a compromise from the people who like terastalization, because the best evidence we have indicates that a simple yes/no vote will keep the mechanic.

Sorry to double post, but a half-hour of no posts seems reasonable to post again. I was going to make a post about my controversial opinions, but this one was so long I made it a stand-alone. You ready?
Psychic is bad typing. The type has some good moves to its name, but Psychic sucks as a type when you look at the big picture. Defensively, Psychic is Ghost, but:
-Instead of resisting Bug, it’s weak to it
-Instead of resisting Poison, it’s neutral to it
-Instead of being immune to Fighting, it resists it
-Instead of being neutral to Psychic, it resists it
When a Pokémon has Psychic typing instead of Ghost, it trades two resistances and an immunity for a weakness and two new resistances. Sounds bad? It gets worse offensively.
Psychic hits two types super effectively: Fighting and Poison. While being one of the only types to hit Poison is great, hitting Fighting is kinda meh. Psychic is meanwhile resisted by itself and Steel. So Steel is a problem, but resisting itself doesn’t really mean anything. So Psychic isn’t that bad… right?
Dark type.
Dark type is immune to Psychic type.
Dark is one of the most prominent types in recent generations, and to have mons like Kingambit completely invulnerable to your attacks is Psychic’s final nail in the coffin.
Overall, Psychic type is defensively a weaker Ghost type, and a middling offensive type. So they aren’t exactly butchered by their type the same way an Ice type would be. But whenever I see a new Psychic type, I can only think about the potential if it were a Ghost type.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I’ll agree that this meta is in a weird state atm. In order to help improve the tier going forward, what I would suggest is:
  • Retest Volcarona <-I just wanna protest :totodiLUL:
  • Suspect Test Kingambit <-Seriously fuck this guy :blobshrug:
  • Suspect Test Sneasler <-Dire Claw is unskilled and allows Sneasler to cheese pass its C&C :blobastonished:
  • Suspect Test Garganacl <-Salt Cure, Purifying Salt. Yeah, fuck this thing too :blobsad:
For those of you that think that Tera should be retested, I don’t have a problem with that. What I do have a problem is the suggestion of Tera Restrictions. Shoutouts to the NDOU Council: View attachment 529826
While National Dex has nothing to do with the tier itself, I just wanted to point out that they are handling it the right way. When it comes to Tera, you keep it as it is, or you ban it as a whole. There is no in-betweens. So, please stop suggesting Open Tera Previews or Restricting Tera to one Pokémon. It doesn’t solve anything. You’re still playing 50/50 games if the Pokémon is gonna Tera or not, further more it still gets its adaptability or triple stab boosts thanks to Tera along with its new typing. So I don’t understand how these restrictions help fix the problem with Tera. Me personally, I don’t have a problem with the mechanic, I think it’s fine just the way it is. Hopefully after the suspect test of :Zamazenta:, we can start making moves for a more fun and healthy meta. Of course with Tera. :blobwizard:
Why are you so eager to silence the part of the community that wants to try Tera Preview? Isn't it more transparent and democratic to allow this possibility to be voted on which seems to have a lot of support? You were somebody dissatisfied with the volcarona quickban in part bc it seemed like the community's will was ignored, but when it suits your opinions, you'll happily ignore the community!

And to be clear, this is your opinion. Whether or not tera preview "solves anything" is purely speculation as we've yet to see it play out. If voters want to try out preview then let them vote for it.

Tera remains unrestricted because the pro-ban voices were so loud, that a number of people whose preferences went "Preview > No Action > Ban" thought that voting for any action meant voting for a ban, so they voted strategically for no action. Removing the option for tera preview, and leaving it a simple ban/no ban, will get anyone holding that preference to vote 'no ban' again.

Then the crowd that hates tera will whine and gnash their teeth and complain. Tera preview isn't a compromise from the people who like terastalization, because the best evidence we have indicates that a simple yes/no vote will keep the mechanic.
I've talked to a few of those voters who now regret voting that way. Next time, vote for what you believe in and accept the result for what it is :heart:.

The best evidence we have is over 6 months old. We can't really speak on the numbers of how people feel about tera right now and how a vote would go, so I hope the next survey will give us some current data.

I just don't understand why it is so complicated

You have the current state (Tera available)

And it is very controversial, you have people defending it or arguing to ban it. It's full of chaos, every day it's the same pages and pages of tera discussion. So you have that scenario that clearly isn't working.

And then you have the Tera preview option. That can be tested anytime, get positive/negative results, and after those results/opinions will be either:
a) Approved and will replace the current chaotic scenario
b) Be disregarded, because it doesn't really fix tera. BUT, at least it was tested and tried.

So at least in my eyes, the solution is sky clear: Test Tera Preview. Just do it. You lose nothing.

tera preview feels terrible, is like putting team preview in rby or declare the pokemon u will gigantimax

is something not intended in the game, different from sleep clause that feels innatural even if still a lot better than unbanning pokemon at random like council hoping to fix the meta

FOR ME tera should be suspect tested and totally banned, is too strong: volc was the strongest mon in the tier --> ban --> now is gambit ---> u ban gambit there will be a new broken mon thanks to tera

tera is so good, it makes really hard revenge kill a pokemon, it gives coverage, immunities and is a the same time, an hidden power (stabbed) both physical and special

i remember one time there was a special tier with stealth rocks banned: a good playtest can be ou with tera banned, a totally separated ladder

I think a big concern over calls to test tera preview/no tera on a separate ladder (or testing them by implementing them on the main ladder with no alternative ladder) is that there won't be enough time to see a meta develop and truly settle during the suspect window. It can take months for things to properly settle in a new metagame (see: it took up until basically home released for the pre-home SV meta to at least somewhat stabilize), especially as new broken threats emerge that tilt the way tera preview/no tera is perceived. Given that we won't have a suspect/test ladder that lasts for literally months, and given that having a permanent separate ladder has been shot down in the past, it doesn't seem like it'd accomplish much to try to test either with even an extended timeframe for a suspect. It's best to just look at the meta as it is now, and decide based off of that.

FWIW, either ban or restrict tera in some way. I'm not gonna pretend that I know the best way to handle it, but it needs to be handled.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I believe Tera Preview would solve a lot of issues. Namely, Volcarona would be OU, but besides the point: tera preview removes the shock element of tera, only allowing for skill expression to exist. VGC's open team sheet is a perfect example of this, and many VGC players prefer this format in lieu of their old one.

By having the knowledge of what a Pokemon can terasilize into, it creates an opportunity to prepare & adapt. Afterwards, abusers should be fewer and easier to ban on their own merits.

I want to add that generational mechanics are fun, and allow the game to feel unique from its previous edition. I think tera preview will allow the fun factor of tera to exist, without the broken components (having to prepare for too many possibilities)

I'd also like to add that, at this exact moment the mon we're considering "the #1 Tera threat" is also tearing up ND. Because it has 135+ base attack, 80 BP stab priority, and an absolutely absurd endgame ability.

While it's definitely true that there will be a new "next best mon", it definitely feels like Kingambit managed to prostrate itself well enough to get passed over more than once.

This bastard isn't the "new next best" - it just tricked us into thinking it wasn't a god.

Why are you so eager to silence the part of the community that wants to try Tera Preview? Isn't it more transparent and democratic to allow this possibility to be voted on which seems to have a lot of support? You were somebody dissatisfied with the volcarona quickban in part bc it seemed like the community's will was ignored, but when it suits your opinions, you'll happily ignore the community!

And to be clear, this is your opinion. Whether or not tera preview "solves anything" is purely speculation as we've yet to see it play out. If voters want to try out preview then let them vote for it.
I appreciate you clarifying my post as my opinion. Cause that's exactly what it was, my opinion. And yes, due to the community's support for Tera restrictions, is the reason why I gave my opinion on the matter. Whatever decision the council decide on how to go about the suspect test, I'll support the results, voted on by the community. :)

Appreciate you linking my other post on Volcarona, hopefully I get more impressions. :totodiLUL:

Quoting you threw together since its all the same convo and all have points,

If this meta is chock full of what could be perceived (possibly rightfully so) as broken shit, when is it a fault of the mons and not a fault of our logic?

This is in no words meant to mean that you all are unequivocally wronf af, because y'aren't. There are a very small group of relevant mons rn, being Tusk, Gambit, Valiant, Garg, Ghold, and like 6 others I can't name, that just fucking dominate., discussion and ladder alike, and they don't actively care what item they run when proper building lets all but 1 carry quick claw of all things. And yet, it is their numbers and role in making a quasi-stable, if generally wack for lack of a better term, meta, that makes me wonder if they aren't fully broken.

Its an uneasy concept for sure, but like how Landorus was the king, who kept things in line in prior gens, now it seems that mons like Kingambit and Tusk are keeping ghosts and hazards just at bay. They provide genuine good to the tier, even if they are scarily close to being oppressive, if not already over the line. They, not just the two I mentioned, are all solid mons who generally keep eachother in check, with garg and gambit needing to save and subsequently use their tera to avoid a fighting tusk disaster, or how gambit keeps dragapult from ghosting all over the meta.

Some of them are just genuinely good wallbreakers, like Valiant, while others are amazing utilitymons like Ghold and Tusk. Garg allows more defensive teams to bust past the bulky steels and waters that could wall them back, as well as just being an amazing physical wall / ghost resist when you need one.

All these mons, through their aspects and abilities, provide but one of the many, many things that this meta fucking needs to be slightly stable, even if that stability hinges around them and only them being used. And thats where we loop back to the beginning.

This centralization, not around one dominating force but around a round table of heinous knights, is a problem. You have the meta, and thats it. Off meta ideas are either quashed by raw force, or by being subverted with meta mons. The quick claw panic only worked because it utilized already amazing Pokemon.

So amazing, in fact, that I believe they are S+, and cannot be banned without great catastrophe. Imagine if Tusk was banned. Just tusk, gone. No more great spinner, no more gholdengo answer, no more insane role comp that lets it do what this meta needs done. Or how about no Kingambit? Gholdengo and Dragapult now have no large dark threat on the horizon every game. They only fear other ghosts now.

Ultimately, they are all keystones in a fucked up arch, and an arch that likely needs remodeling from the ground up. They make me question if they are broken, or if OU needs to change, amidst a million middle and extreme ground options. These times are unique, I think, and action must be taken for sure, but what that action is, I have no clue.

Perhaps ubers being a tier by usage, however silly and shitty that may be, is one such path, as is banning tera and going from there. Perhaps the answer was all along some plucky UU star waiting to be born.

Good night everybody, and don't let the Golisopod bite.
I want to once again bring up that Great Tusk does not keep the hazards away, it isn't even that good of removal, it's just one of the only Pokemon you can feasibly run that has removal.

We need to do something about hazards and Tusks is not enough.

My proposal on how Tera should be conducted suspect wise is something like this:

Two Stage Process.

1. Restriction Phase

This would be a shorter Suspect Test that decides between No Restriction, and Restriction. Ban is not yet an option, as to not split voters within an Action-oriented mindset.

The council would draft up 1-? ideas for feasible restrictions, and the vote will include the person's restriction vote of choice.

Why?:

1x. I feel that having more than one restriction is very close to a complex ban, and should be avoided.

2x. It gets very complicated if we assume several restrictions are on the table.

3x. We all know Tera Preview will win anyways.

After this short Suspect Test for restriction only, this will lead to a revisit within a few weeks for:

2. Ban Phase

Now that people have played with this restriction, now we have a second binary vote on if the mechanic should be banned or not, standard fare.

Overall time: Somewhere between 1-2 months, with the majority of this being time between the initial Restriction Phase. However, if the Restriction Phase ends in no restriction, we simply go straight to the second phase, and start the second Suspect Test.

I never gave much thought to Quick Claw, but when I first got into competitive (around Diamond I think? Whichever gen introduced the lake trio) and studied the rules, I assumed it was banned like King's Rock. It seemed like the rules themselves heavily frowned upon every aspect of Quick Claw.

I don't feel like playing with a %20 chance of working, but that's just me. I'm tired of losing matches due to Play Rough missing, so I can't imagine using this item, but a 20% chance of an Ursaluna Headlong Rush is...sexy.
Felt like this but with Snow Cloak and Sand Veil being banned. They’re banned now and were in Gen 5, but I always assumed they were just banned by default because of Evasion Clause.

I believe Tera Preview would solve a lot of issues. Namely, Volcarona would be OU, but besides the point: tera preview removes the shock element of tera, only allowing for skill expression to exist. VGC's open team sheet is a perfect example of this, and many VGC players prefer this format in lieu of their old one.
Not really disagreeing with the core of this post (I am pretty netural on tera preview, I do think it's better than the current state of things for sure), but I don't really buy that Volcarona would be OU if we had tera preview, it's not just the tera surprise factor that makes Volcarona busted, but also the fact that, unless you load your team with like, 4 or 5 Volcarona checks, you will always lose to a specifc Volcarona set and there's not much you can do to stop that.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but VGC has a total opponent team preview rule that includes Tera and sets right? So having a Tera preview in this meta wouldn't be like adding something like Team Previews to D/P.

Just ban non-STAB Tera. Everything (aside from Chien Pao) that Tera has broken was using non-STAB. The big problem with Tera is the guessing game, so why not just ban non-STAB? The damage boost is just a buff to damage, nothing game-shattering. If people want to keep the generational mechanic, then why not just do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)