Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most overrated mon: Corviknight
| 6 | Corviknight | 22.238% |
I just cannot justify this much usage on a hazard remover who has nothing for gholdengo, doesn't do much vs glimmora or garchomp, gets 2hkod by chien pao icicle crash and also let's chi yu come in for free. Whats he doing up here?
https://www.smogon.com/dex/sv/moves/defog/

If you want Defog on something with bulk and recovery, your choices are Corviknight and Altaria.

Most overrated mon: Corviknight
| 6 | Corviknight | 22.238% |
I just cannot justify this much usage on a hazard remover who has nothing for gholdengo, doesn't do much vs glimmora or garchomp, gets 2hkod by chien pao icicle crash and also let's chi yu come in for free. Whats he doing up here?
in addition to what the person above me said, it is in fact not 2hko'd by crash from chien pao, also it only lets chi-yu come in for free if they're brave enough to switch it in on a potential body press, its still got a phenomenal defensive typing, solid bulk, and u-turn, staples stay staples for a reason

1LDK

It's never going to get better
is a Top Team Rater
Okay lads, make some discussion with questions (mainly because i want replys)

1. Mon you didnt expect to see in OU
To me, its pex, I only saw ONE pex, and only came out at the end of the game

2. Since Great Tusk act IV is the most used mon outside or banned mons, whats your favorite set to run with him
I already posted my trademarked AV tusk

3. Mon that is gonna keep rising in usage in your opinion
Cyclizar, HO is gonna unironically reinvent the wheel in order to keep the lizard alive

4. Mon that is gonna keep declining in usage in your opinion
Outside of ditto, my guess would be Iron Moth, I think Iron hands has insane potential in trick room but i dont know how to make trickroom so i dont know

also fun fact pelipper is in UU lmaooooo rain taking the biggest L

Okay lads, make some discussion with questions (mainly because i want replys)

1. Mon you didnt expect to see in OU
To me, its pex, I only saw ONE pex, and only came out at the end of the game

2. Since Great Tusk act IV is the most used mon outside or banned mons, whats your favorite set to run with him
I already posted my trademarked AV tusk

3. Mon that is gonna keep rising in usage in your opinion
Cyclizar, HO is gonna unironically reinvent the wheel in order to keep the lizard alive

4. Mon that is gonna keep declining in usage in your opinion
Outside of ditto, my guess would be Iron Moth, I think Iron hands has insane potential in trick room but i dont know how to make trickroom so i dont know

also fun fact pelipper is in UU lmaooooo rain taking the biggest L
Honestly the data is old, there are tons of mons that are solidly in ou now if you look at just the last week. Espathra and rotom wash are notable ones off the top of my head. lokix, pex, and maushold have fallen below the threshhold. Annihilape is massively higher in usage now. I've been looking at reddit and here and I'm not sure people understand this - it would pretty much be impossible for fluttermane to be at 40% useage if the data was just collected as a whole. The conclusion some people have come to is that it was on 90% of the teams so even after bans it retained that high of a percentage, but it's not true.

Heal Bell is no longer usable on Blissey due to it not actually being usable in-game. This compromises the common Blissey + Dondozo stall core.
smokin that stall pack
ripdozo

cheap meme aside, before release I thought iron treads would be the new lando-t stand in with its highly effective typing and role compression (spinner, rocks, bulky ground/steel type) and that great tusk would be a dud because ground/fighting is kind of a terrible defensive typing. turns out being a wall of stats is more valuable than I thought it would be

I put this Volcarona set together for my team a bit ago and I've been super happy with it:

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Morning Sun
- Flamethrower
- Tera Blast

What's really nice about it is that with the physical bulk investment, typing and recovery, you can come in on a ton of common physical attackers in the meta, and hold off until they either switch out or ruin themselves with Flame Body. Physical Iron Valiant (special variants also have their STABs resisted and just get Quiver Danced on) and Annihilape are the big ones, but it can also deal with both Donphans and Kingambit, restricts Scizor immensely, and can pivot around Iron Hands, Meowscarada and Chien-Pao pretty well since it only really fears Rock moves from the former, Flying moves from the second, and like some sort of boosted Dark STAB from the latter (LO, Tera Dark, idk), and if the opponent guesses wrong then they're just waiting to get a Flame Body proc.

It really benefits, I think, from the fact that so many threatening Water moves (Barraskewda, Urshifu, Volcanion, and Fini) and Flying moves (Zapdos and Torn-T) aren't really here anymore, coupled with the fact that you don't have to fear Toxic from basically anything. If you bring it in on a favourable matchup, you either Morning Sun if your opponent has a decent answer to bring in (mostly Skeledirge and Clodsire, but Ting-Lu, Rotom-W and T-Tar work too) and if not, you're free to just Quiver Dance.

And yeah, everyone was afraid of Volcarona as a Tera abuser, and they're right. I've used it with Tera-Ghost Pult and Tera-Normal Dragonite, which are both stupid too, but the former lacks defensive utility and the latter hates the fact that Annihilape and Gholdengo are everywhere. After a Quiver Dance and with the option of Tera-Fairy, this thing just destroys teams. I'll ignore the obvious things that standard Volcarona has always destroyed, but after a boost and with Tera free, you just smash Roaring Moon and Garchomp (and I guess Baxcalibur if anyone uses it), win the 1v1 against Dragonite, and use that extra bulk to beat Chi-Yu.

If you can't stop it from getting two Dances in, it goes without saying that you basically need Skeledirge or Clodsire to not get swept, but it's just so, so hard to deny this thing two boosts. The only thing that will really make it regret turning into a Fairy is Scizor, and in exchange, you now beat Rotom-W and Dondozo, and take big chunks out of Ting-Lu and T-Tar, in addition to your ability to just destroy the Dragon and Fighting types running through the meta. Basically no special attackers can deal with it once it's started Dancing, the lack of physical attackers with super effective moves in this meta means that most of them are just waiting to get destroyed by Flame Body, and Toxic is basically gone. There's not much that can just 6-0 you on the spot while also acting as a great all-purpose glue 'mon, and this thing really is great at both.

1LDK

It's never going to get better
is a Top Team Rater
Clever but the devs saw this coming.
imagine gamefreak actually being smart, also are you guys ready for a more stable meta now that theres some defined hallmark for quality
also, the more i keep playing, the more i start to hate gholdengo, the problem for me is the lack of mons to work around him, this is gonna be solved when gamefreak vomits something like "Pokemon DLC 1: Islas Caiman" and even tho its still beatable, holy fuck this chese string motherfucker is frustrating man

Can we complex quickban revival blessing + sleep talk on the same moveset until we figure out if revival blessing alone is problematic enough to ban

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Can we complex quickban revival blessing + sleep talk on the same moveset until we figure out if revival blessing alone is problematic enough to ban
Can we complex quickban Espathra + Stored Power on its moveset until we figure out if Espathra alone is problematic enough to ban
Can we complex quickban Rage Fist + Annihilape until we figure out if Annihilape alone is problematic enough to ban
Can we complex quickban Blaziken + Speed Boost on the same moveset until we figure out if Blaziken alone is problematic enough to ban

I hope you see why we cannot do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)