Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
1pp Revival blessing is already gamebreaking and Leppa berry takes the piss. And Sleep Talk? Why even bother knocking mons out.

I can't think of a playstyle where you wouldn't want the option of reviving multiple pokemon, not to mention the support/priority/firepower/unpredictability Pawmot has to offer.

Barely any counter play, low risk, overtuned.

Finch what are your initial thoughts in practice?

Last edited:
Has anybody been playing around with Scream Tail? Its stats except its actual offenses are pretty high. I've been playing around with it as a wishpasser (hasnt been working out but I suck lol)

Also espartha is fucking annoying
I think there is a way to use Scream Tail on Stall builds because of WishTect and SR, but even then I don't think it's a very good option. Tail is bulky, but its typing doesn't give it many good resistances to capitalize. It also seems to be missing good utility that would make it worthwhile to use (maybe except Thunder Wave). If I were to build around Scream Tail, I'd ditch WishTect and just run with Encore, Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock, and things like that.

Encore + its high speed would make it an interestingly niche way to stop set-up sweepers, but that's more of an on-paper kind of deal.

1pp Revival blessing is already gamebreaking and Leppa berry takes the piss. And Sleep Talk? Why even bother knocking mons out.

I can't think of a playstyle where you wouldn't want the option of reviving multiple pokemon, not to mention the support/priority/firepower/unpredictability Pawmot has to offer.

Barely any counter play, low risk, overtuned.

Finch what are your initial thoughts in practice?
I actually think normal revival blessing and an actual moveset is far better then attempting thay restalk gimmick

Assuming you have used blessing once, switch in, go to sleep then restart and HOPE the 1 in 3 chance goes off what the literal hell is your opponent doing? Why are they not beating that thing down its not a hard to topple wall?

You are using an entire teamslot in some sort of hail Mary attempt to revive what most certainly be your only hope to recover from whatever position you are in because I certainly wouldn't want to bet the outcome of the match on just hoping restalk hits exactly what I need it to

Regular blessing is definitely a "keep an eye on this" situation although I feel in this case the knee-jerk reaction is probably just because people really hate change when it comes to competitions (this does not mean it's not justified sometimes, last respects is a good recent example of that) but I'm more worried my check is going to be baited into a nuzzle or something then I'm worried I won't be able to stop them again and again as they revive everything I take down

Anyone seen arboliva used recently? Feel like that things better than it’s given credit for. Specs on a trick room team I’ve found incredible success with, and it’s coverage with tera blast fire + leaf storm + earth power + hyper voice is actually really really nice. I’m not amazing at the new meta recently, just beed more of an observer if anything, but I do want to know what y’all think of arboliva. Finch if you’ve had any experience with arb I’d love to hear what you think as well

Last edited:
I don't think Revival Blessing is properly programmed on Showdown yet anyway since it just became available. If you revive a Pokémon that already Terastallized with an item or Revival Blessing, they cannot Terastallize again. It's a one and done deal
This is how it works in-game, if your tera pokemon faints and you use a revive on it you can't tera again

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Fun tidbit about Last Respects now that it's been banned. (Technically)

It's base power isn't actually based on the current amount of dead pokemon, but actually the amount of times your pokemon have fainted, while also not having a hard limit on BP.
This is important because strategies surrounding Revival blessing could've boosted it's base power even more, surpassing the 300BP limit to theoretically 500 bp, with a leppa berry Rabsca and a leppa berry Pawmot. (Not counting sleep talk, since mechanics around it are still iffy.).

Really wish we existed in a universe where both of these were usable for a short amount of time, woudlve been incredibly broken, but fun :blobpensive:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Anyone seen arboliva used recently? Feel like that things better than it’s given credit for. Specs on a trick room team I’ve found incredible success with, and it’s coverage with tera blast fire + leaf storm + earth power + hyper voice is actually really really nice. I’m not amazing at the new meta recently, just beed more of an observer if anything, but I do want to know what y’all think of arboliva
yeah I watched shofu lose 20 ladder games in a row with it

Thoughts on Revival Blessing after playing around with a couple Pawmot teams: I was pro-banning this move from the jump honestly, but seeing how actually awful Pawmot as a Pokemon is in practice has kinda tempered that to a degree. It has a few niche offensive capabilities that are interesting but would never warrant using on their own merit. And running the mon offensively just makes it die to a light breeze, any average neutral hit will drop this thing from full. This makes it a liability when playing it on offensive teams (which benefit the most from Revival Blessing imo) when facing other offensive teams. There was a time when this things speed tier would have been usable, but with all the priority and setup spam currently enabled in the meta, if you want to consistently get the Blessing off this thing either has to be run with HP which makes its already paltry offensive utility even worse, or run choice scarfed which makes it setup fodder if it uses Revival Blessing.
That being said I don't think I'm against this move being banned, as it feels extremely uncompetitive to me in the sense that it makes existing polarizing matchups even less susceptible to counterplay. You managed to outplay or outposition your opponent and remove their strongest threat to your team? Here it comes again in the late game to run through what remains of your mons. The most successful games I had using the strat were games where I would just brainlessly spam offensive threats like Chien-Pao or Annihilape earlier than I normally would, chunking opponents counterplay options while dying in the process, and then Revival Blessing into that slot late game to cheese a win that never feels deserved.

With that out of the way, I think this set is the closest I got to making this Pokemon feel consistently useful on the types of teams I was playing, but I could see the potential for a more utility based set on other teams.

Pawmot @ Eject Pack
Ability: Iron Fist
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Revival Blessing
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Double Shock

I tried Volt Absorb early on, it wasn't great, and I think one of this Pokemon's few good offensive capabilities come in the form of Iron Fist Mach Punch being strong enough to force out the many very common fast fighting weaknesses: Chien-Pao, Roaring Moon, Scarf Chi-Yu, etc. Eject Pack is useful in making Close Combat effectively double as a one time only, decently strong U Turn if you manage to get Revival Blessing off and need to get this Pokemon switched out while maintaining some initiative. You can probably run Thunder Punch over Double Shock if you don't want to be locked out of using your Electric STAB but I do not think there are enough scenarios where this Pokemon sticks around long enough to care about that in any given match with its defenses. Tera Type Poison allows it just barely to get off an emergency Blessing against Iron Valiant (252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pawmot: 165-195 (58.7 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), but if you have to Tera this thing, you likely lose anyway.

tl;dr: please never give this move to a real Pokemon with actual stats.

Fun tidbit about Last Respects now that it's been banned. (Technically)

It's base power isn't actually based on the current amount of dead pokemon, but actually the amount of times your pokemon have fainted, while also not having a hard limit on BP.
This is important because strategies surrounding Revival blessing could've boosted it's base power even more, surpassing the 300BP limit to theoretically 500 bp, with a leppa berry Rabsca and a leppa berry Pawmot. (Not counting sleep talk, since mechanics around it are still iffy.).

Really wish we existed in a universe where both of these were usable for a short amount of time, woudlve been incredibly broken, but fun :blobpensive:
Probably a long shot but is this specific to Last Respects? I'm imagining pulling a gimmick of this with Kingambit and Supreme Overlord if it's based on "how many faints" rather than "how many ARE fainted".

More potentially relevant I could see is something like reviving a Suicide Lead like Glimmora to get more hazards up if they're cleared or there's a Lull in momentum. Like Dying at start to SR + 1 layer of Toxic Spikes, then being revived later to throw another layer of Spikes or Sac it to a Physical for both the switch and another TS layer.

Curse/rest is what I've been using. It's just a super good stop to so many threats in the tier, especially physical threats. Try pairing it with Water Absorb Clodsire would be my recommendation.

I read that you can get Heal Bell Blissey from picnics -- can anyone confirm the availability of Heal Bell this gen for Blissey?

I read that you can get Heal Bell Blissey from picnics -- can anyone confirm the availability of Heal Bell this gen for Blissey?
I assume this is referring to the Mirror Herb transfer method for Heal Bell as an Egg Move, which still requires a Pokemon besides the receiving Blissey to know the move and brings us back to the initial issue.

Pending a Home update or Tutors, the only way Blissey could theoretically have Heal Bell in Gen 9 would be if it appeared as a raid boss with it in a capture moveset that thus includes non-level up moves.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Probably a long shot but is this specific to Last Respects? I'm imagining pulling a gimmick of this with Kingambit and Supreme Overlord if it's based on "how many faints" rather than "how many ARE fainted".

More potentially relevant I could see is something like reviving a Suicide Lead like Glimmora to get more hazards up if they're cleared or there's a Lull in momentum. Like Dying at start to SR + 1 layer of Toxic Spikes, then being revived later to throw another layer of Spikes or Sac it to a Physical for both the switch and another TS layer.
According to this post:
My favourite part about testing this was when Kingambit said "It's Kowtowing Time!" and Kowtow'd all over Garganacl

View attachment 467915

after 1 death and switching out

I forgot to take pictures for most of these tests.

185 Atk Kingambit vs 154 Def Garganacl

test 1: no deaths (121/191) - 70 damage
test 2: 1 death and switch out (116/191) - 75 damage
test 3: 2 deaths (116/191) - 75 damage
test 4: 3 deaths (107/191) - 84 damage
test 5: 4 deaths (98/191) - 93 damage
test 6: 5 deaths, including letting Kingambit faint and revive (89/191) - 102 damage
test 7: 6 deaths (89/191) - 102 damage
test 8: 10 deaths (82/191) - 109 damage

Lvl 55 0+ Atk Bisharp False Surrender vs. Lvl 57 0 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 64-76 (32.3 - 38.3%) -- 96.3% chance to 3HKO

Expected damage from Level 55 Kingambit
No boost: 64-76 (185 Atk)
10% boost: 69-82 (203 Atk)
20% boost: 76-90 (222 Atk)
30% boost: 82-97 (240 Atk)
40% boost: 88-105 (259 Atk)
50% boost: 94-112 (277 Atk)
60% boost: 102-120 (296 Atk)
70% boost: 108-127 (314 Atk)
100% boost: 127-150 (370 Atk)

View attachment 467916 2 deaths
View attachment 467917 3 deaths
View attachment 467918 5 deaths (including Kingambit)
View attachment 467919 6 deaths

Stuff that I'm sure about:
  • Switching out does not reset the boost (I got the ability message twice, once after letting a mon die, the other after switching out to a higher level mon and coming back in)
Stuff that I'm still not sure about:
  • It's supposed to be a 10% boost per mon fainted, right? Looking like 5% boosts to me.
  • Did the user's death also contribute to the Supreme Overlord boost?
  • What's the boost cap at? edit: I'm thinking 50%
Probably needs to be retested, the results are quite weird.

edit: I calc'd the damage rolls for the stat changes wrong. Should be rectified now. Yeah, the boost is 10%.
From the looks of it, Supreme Overlord seems to cap at a 50% boost, however unsure if showdown currently has it implemented that way.
It is also unclear if it is based on "current mons that are fainted" or "number of times pokemon have fainted", since their testing has shown that both seem to be possible.

Edit:
Additional Revival Blessing mechanical update, it can be called by sleep talk lmao
sorry for double posting

Revival Blessing can be called by Sleep Talk, does not consume Revival Blessing PP.

Revival Blessing by Sleep Talk fails if there are no fainted members.

just watch it on youtube

With Revival Blessing finally implemented here's the set I was thinking might catch on

Pawmot @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb / Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Shock / Thunder Punch
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch / Ice Punch / Mach Punch
- Revival Blessing

I think sleep talk is gonna be a gimmick, especially with how strong all the attackers are in the meta rn

Last edited:

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Sorry for the multiple non-OU last Respects post, but this is incredibly funny.

Since sleep talk activates revival blessing, sleep talk + a leppa berry means that a single leppa berry Pawmot can use revival blessing 27 times.

Meaning if one used both a leppa berry Rabsca and a leppa berry Pawmot, the limit would be:
50 (Base Power) +5x50 (5 dead mons) + 2x(50x27) (two revival blessing mons using revival blessing the maximum amount of times.)
= 3000 BP

while obviously this level of base power would be incredibly difficult to accomplish in game, and realistically would have to account for your opponent helping you out, these calcs are possible with it:

(3000 BP last respects, Avalugg is dark type)
252+ Atk Choice Band Houndstone Last Respects vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 389-458 (98.7 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
lmao

Remember what happened to Houndstone due to having Last Respects?
Thats a bad comparison.

I said that the MOVE will not get banned, not the pokemon.

Having these pokemon feels as if you have a team of 5 rather than a team of 6.

Also if houndstone didn't have that ability that doubles its speed on sand then there is a good chance it would have avoided the ban hammer since it would need to rely on sticky web support just to have a chance of swipping anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)