Pokémon Swampert

:ss/swampert:
Swampert

Water/Ground

100 HP/110 Attack/90 Defense/85 Special Attack/90 Special Defense/60 Speed
Torrent/Damp (HA)

Bold=Notable
Mud Shot, Hammer Arm, Earthquake, Surf, Tackle, Growl, Water Gun, Rock Smash, Rock Throw, Protect, Supersonic, Water Pulse, Rock Slide, Take Down, Amnesia, Muddy Water, Screech, Endeavor, Hydro Pump
(TM) Mega Punch, Mega Kick, Ice Punch, Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, Dig, Screech, Rest, Rock Slide, Snore, Protect, Icy Wind, Attract, Rain Dance, Hail, Whirlpool, Facade, Brick Break, Dive, Rock Tomb, Sand Tomb, Mud Shot, Fling, Avalanche, Round, Bulldoze, Stomping Tantrum, (TR) Body Slam, Hydro Pump, Surf, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Low Kick, Earthquake, Waterfall, Amnesia, Substitute, Outrage, Endure, Sleep Talk, Iron Tail, Uproar, Superpower, Muddy Water, Bulk Up, Focus Blast, Earth Power, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Sludge Wave, Scald, Work Up, Darkest Lariat, High Horsepower, Liquidation, Body Press
Mud Slap, Bite, Ancient Power, Counter, Curse, Double Edge, Mirror Edge, Sludge, Stomp, Wide Guard, Yawn
Flip Turn, Water Pledge
Toxic, Power-Up Punch, Roar
Newly Obtainable Moves-
Flip Turn, Bulk Up, Body Press, Liquidation, High Horsepower, Darkest Lariat, Sand Tomb

Notable Moves (as well as conceivably usable)-
Earthquake, Protect, Rock Slide, Ice Punch, Rest, Sleep Talk, Body Slam, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Waterfall, Liquidation, Substitute, Iron Tail, Superpower, Bulk Up, Earth Power, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Sludge Wave, Scald, Darkest Lariat, High Horsepower, Body Press, Yawn, Flip Turn, Toxic, Power-Up Punch, Roar

The Crown Tundra has benefitted Swampert significantly in comparison to past gens with a few key changes that ultimately grant it a degree of viability in the metagame. These changes are mainly the meta trends and the addition of Flip Turn and other smaller changes to its movepool.
Pros:
-
Stealth Rock, which is essential to almost any competitive team
-A useful typing in Water/Ground granting it a key immunity to Electric as well as important resistances to Rock, Fire, Poison, and Steel. Also, it only has one weakness in Grass.
-Flip Turn, a useful move for keeping up the momentum, and allows Swampert to bring teammates in safely. It also hits surprisingly hard given STAB, Swampert's good Attack stat, and possible Torrent boosts.
-Efficient stat spread makes it quite bulky while also letting it hit hard on either end of the spectrum, particularly the physical end.
-Access to Toxic, a move that is quite desirable with the reduced number of users in SwSh.
-A solid STAB combo that is quite solid offensively, and can be covered the rest of the way by Swampert's good coverage options.
-Counters all of the Regieleki spam, as it is immune to any Electric attacks and can even ignore Explosion thanks to Damp. Also, because Physically Defensive is its best set, coverage such as ESpeed or Assurance does relatively little.
-Acts as a solid wallbreaker and general defensive mon on rain with the Choice Band set.
-Overall, Swampert has its niche defined by its unique typing combined with its bulk, ability to set Stealth Rocks, and Flip Turn. Wallbreaker sets can also be surprisingly potent in the metagame, akin to Rhyperior in DLC 1.

Cons:
-Typing leaves it extremely vulnerable to Grass type attacks
-Lacks reliable recovery outside of Wish Support, Leftovers, and RestTalk, thus being prone to chip and status
-Awkward speed tier
-Niche at best abilities--I miss Swift Swim :'(
-Has to compete with other bulky Waters, many of which have reliable recovery or other desirable traits

Sets

Physically Defensive
Swampert@Leftovers
Ability: Torrent/Damp
248 HP, 252 Def, 8 Spe
Impish Nature
Move 1: Stealth Rock
Move 2: Flip Turn
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Toxic/Scald/Protect/Body Press/Yawn/Roar/Filler

Bulk Up
Swampert@Leftovers/Life Orb/Salac Berry
Ability: Damp/Torrent
252 Atk, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Move 1: Bulk Up
Move 2: Liquidation
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 4: Substitute/Ice Punch/Flip Turn/Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Yawn

Choice Band
Swampert@Choice Band
252 Atk, 4 SpD, 252 Spe or 248 HP, 252 Atk, 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
Move 1: Flip Turn
Move 2: Liquidation
Move 4: Ice Punch/Stone Edge/Superpower/Stealth Rock

Specially Defensive
Swampert@Leftovers
248 HP, 252 SpD, 8 Spe
Careful Nature
Move 1: Flip Turn
Move 2: Stealth Rock
Move 4: Toxic/Roar/Protect/Yawn/Filler

Assault Vest
Swampert@Assault Vest
248 HP, 252 SpD, 8 Spe
Careful Nature
Move 1: Liquidation
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Flip Turn
Move 4: Ice Beam/Ice Punch/Superpower/Stone Edge/Scald

All feedback is welcome!
--more to come--

Last edited:

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
What Eva have you been running on the CB set? I tested it yesterday and really like it
Pretty much the set on the thread. I prefer Ice Punch on the last slot to screw with Grass-types. The other moves listed are kind of niche. Like Stone Edge OHKO's Moltres, but Liquidation is a lot better, honestly. Superpower is really only good for Ferrothorn and maybe catching a random Blissey.

I have seen some of them run Sp Def. I assume that's to Tran and Koko (lacking the big knotters ofc) better, but is there any merit besides that?

Well Swampert should be run as PhysDef, because if you want a pivot with rocks that also acts as a special wall, just use Blissey. SpDef Pert isn't inherently bad, just outclassed.

Edit: And also, most if not all teams in the meta rn have an electric immunity. Swampert is useful for role compression: Rocks, pivot, typing. So PhysDef is the reason Swampert is viable in the first place.

You mean Chansey, cause Blissey with rocks is ass.

No, I don't think it is entirely outclassed, mainly as a Heatran check. Blissey loses to Magma Storm trapper Tran especially cause Taunt prevents port, while Pert can ofc kill it.

I don't think you rly need full sp Def to beat Tran entirely tho and Blissey is still great, just not always the best pick in current meta with all those busted fighting types.

Pert is a cool mon for beating Ace, Blaziken, the Electric spam teams, Flip Turn is a cool addition and in current meta, you don't really see any grass types with all the Fire, Poison and Bug goons.

spdef should be an option, just not the first one. you don't wanna have your only ground on a building losing to koko lmao

You mean Chansey, cause Blissey with rocks is ass.

No, I don't think it is entirely outclassed, mainly as a Heatran check. Blissey loses to Magma Storm trapper Tran especially cause Taunt prevents port, while Pert can ofc kill it.

I don't think you rly need full sp Def to beat Tran entirely tho and Blissey is still great, just not always the best pick in current meta with all those busted fighting types.

Pert is a cool mon for beating Ace, Blaziken, the Electric spam teams, Flip Turn is a cool addition and in current meta, you don't really see any grass types with all the Fire, Poison and Bug goons.
spdef should be an option, just not the first one. you don't wanna have your only ground on a building losing to koko lmao
Alright alright. While I personally don’t think it’s very good, SpDef will be added.
Other question: anyone think AV is any good and deserves to be mentioned?
edit: Added Roar and Yawn as slashes on the main sets. Both are good utility options and can fit onto any Pert set in need of a fourth move.

Last edited:
Regarding SpDef Pert, it is definitely decent. I've been testing the core of Corvi Pert and it works wonders honestly. I believe that Ice beam is definitely a choice on the last slot since it helps in beating grounds, chipping flying, and chipping dragons. Rn even SpDef pert helps in checking Lando-T, Chomp, Zapdos, Tran especially, scarf specially offensive Gene, Not dying to stray Koko Gknots. Also any speed benchmarks you hitting with 252 Speed pert? Seems wasteful to put everything In speed unless you want to hit certain speed benchmarks.

Should High Horsepower be slashed with EQ for grassy terrain?
It’s definitely dependent on preference. If you are running a Grassy Terrain team, yes run HH. But I don’t consider the need great enough to merit more than a mention in notable moves.

Regarding SpDef Pert, it is definitely decent. I've been testing the core of Corvi Pert and it works wonders honestly. I believe that Ice beam is definitely a choice on the last slot since it helps in beating grounds, chipping flying, and chipping dragons. Rn even SpDef pert helps in checking Lando-T, Chomp, Zapdos, Tran especially, scarf specially offensive Gene, Not dying to stray Koko Gknots. Also any speed benchmarks you hitting with 252 Speed pert? Seems wasteful to put everything In speed unless you want to hit certain speed benchmarks.
SpDef Pert is fine, yeah. And 252 Spe lets you outspeed uninvested Lando-T by a single point, as well as speed tie with 252 Spe Aegislash. which I consider worth it.

FatFighter2

zacian waifu :flushed:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that band Swampert is suprisingly great on rain teams. It provides crucial role compression, being immune to electric and generally being a bulky mon. I personally prefer running max attack and hp instead of speed evs, since outspeeding things isn't really what rain teams need, rain teams need the defensive backbone of Swampert. Banded flip turn in rain hits stupid hard, especially with torrent, and can form a potent flip turn core with fellow rain abuser Barraskewda. I would recommend adding something about how Swampert also works well in rain.

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is that band Swampert is suprisingly great on rain teams. It provides crucial role compression, being immune to electric and generally being a bulky mon. I personally prefer running max attack and hp instead of speed evs, since outspeeding things isn't really what rain teams need, rain teams need the defensive backbone of Swampert. Banded flip turn in rain hits stupid hard, especially with torrent, and can form a potent flip turn core with fellow rain abuser Barraskewda. I would recommend adding something about how Swampert also works well in rain.
Updated to reflect this; mentioned it on the Pros section and displayed an alternate EV spread on CB.

Last edited:
I am confused as why Assault Vest Swampert gets immediately called a bad set.
Unlike a regular Toxic/SR set it can run water,ground ice and your choice of counter or mirror coat.

Furthermore, I can do switches into offensive behemoths like the following:
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert: 118-140 (29.2 - 34.6%) -- 6.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 175-208 (43.3 - 51.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 135-160 (33.4 - 39.6%) -- 19.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert: 91-108 (22.5 - 26.7%) -- 23.2% chance to 4HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 388-457 (96 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert: 259-306 (64.1 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(of course I am aware that you can't switch into a healthy Specs Drago. But you can revenge kill with Mirror Coat)

I admit that you have to combine it with Wish support, but overall it is one of the most useful "glue" mons I stuck on my team ever. Naganadel, Landorus, Heatran, Spectrier (choiced) they all didn't matter

I am confused as why Assault Vest Swampert gets immediately called a bad set.
Unlike a regular Toxic/SR set it can run water,ground ice and your choice of counter or mirror coat.

Furthermore, I can do switches into offensive behemoths like the following:
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert: 118-140 (29.2 - 34.6%) -- 6.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 175-208 (43.3 - 51.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 135-160 (33.4 - 39.6%) -- 19.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert: 91-108 (22.5 - 26.7%) -- 23.2% chance to 4HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 388-457 (96 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragon's Maw Regidrago Dragon Energy (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Swampert: 259-306 (64.1 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(of course I am aware that you can't switch into a healthy Specs Drago. But you can revenge kill with Mirror Coat)

I admit that you have to combine it with Wish support, but overall it is one of the most useful "glue" mons I stuck on my team ever. Naganadel, Landorus, Heatran, Spectrier (choiced) they all didn't matter
This was the support I was waiting for to merit putting it on. Added.

I hate Swampert. Flip turn has made it a bane on the metagame. Once again water type favouritism goes to far.
Haha thanks. Love the flip turn shenanigans he pulls and the momentum he gains due to slow pivoting is neat. Acting like a bulky Lando-T without Intimidate and trades its typing to beat Heatran and possibly Zapdos and can check other grounds due to its movepool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)