Swearing and taboo words in media

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I very rarely make threads here, and even more rarely make successful threads, but here goes.

Back in February I was writing a book, and at one point I came across a difficult problem: should I include swearing? I sat on this question for over an hour before deciding against it, but when I was struck by this question again today I thought it would make a good discussion point for a thread. While I'm guessing -- since this is the internet after all -- there aren't going to be many who are resolutely-against swearing and suchlike, I think it's still worthwhile hearing opinions on where swearing stands in society.

A common argument against swearing -- in both social and literary contexts -- is that it shows a limited vocabulary. Clearly these people would prefer retorts of "Gosh darnit please conduct an expedition forthwith elsewhere!" to "Fuck off!" but even if this argument is true it doesn't mean that swearing should be banished from literature. Indeed, swearing can be used to reflect a character's lack of vocabulary or general abrasiveness.

In my particular example, I wanted a short phrase to convey anger, and it was going to be a simple "You bastards!". Dwelling more on the issue, I realised that the effectiveness of the phrase was entirely dependent on it causing offence: it would provide a shock to the reader which shows the depth of feeling of the character. If "bastards" wasn't offensive, then it would have as much effect as "You nincompoops!". Thus I arrived at the conclusion that swearing is fine to use in literature, but only sparingly -- otherwise the effect is muted.

So I suppose I take a bit of a middle ground. There are some who would like to remove profanities from all literature (and, of course, other forms of media) and there will be others who see taboos as relics of Victorian society or something like that.

Where do you lie on that scale?

E: Poppy's video is really good, watch it!

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I swear occasionally on the Internet, but it's mostly for the comic effect. In literature I think it should be avoided as much as possible, and only used when it is guaranteed to have maximal effect. For example, Harry Potter generally has swearing written as "he swore under his breath" or some variant thereof. Only on one occasion(towards the end of DH)(as far as I know) does a person(Molly Weasley) "swear", and the situation definitely called for it. It had a lot of effect there, because of the way the story had built up till then. In other situations it just sounds crass and doesn't make for a good read.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
replacing swear words with something else is basically the same thing as swearing

its pointless and retarded

and so is trying to curb your swearing- saying fuck and shit and cock all lost their effects years and years ago
sparingly using them isn't going to make them any more harsh when you actually use them

trying to keep people from swearing is an aimless and fruitless effort regardless

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I tend to swear a lot more on the Internet than in real life, but I generally agree with the sentiment that it shows a limited vocabulary. I think that in writing it can provide a more accurate view of a character, especially teenagers who tend to use swears a lot more. Last year I read the book Feed for a class assignment, and it included swearing in order to show a more realistic look at the characters.

as for in real life, I don't think it's "taboo" but I do feel like sometimes people need to learn how to use them and when to tone it down. there are people I've actually stopped talking to because they can't get through a conversation without sayin "fuck" multiple times per sentence.

basically, I think swearing and the like is okay in moderation - sometimes you just can't think of something better to say that will convey your message - but other times it's just irritating and kind of just takes the whole conversation down.

Alchemator

replacing swear words with something else is basically the same thing as swearing

its pointless and retarded
Is it really though? I'm fairly sure if I'm speaking eloquently and then address you as a fucking cuntface it has an effect. If I was just to continue in this register and say you are a fool, the effect is incomparable.

Nastyjungle said:
trying to keep people from swearing is an aimless and fruitless effort regardless
I suppose trying to entirely eliminate crime is ultimately fruitless.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Swearing is not a symptom of a limited vocabulary; excessive swearing is. This is not a unique phenomenon: it applies to any word, not just swearing. As with every other word, curses are composed of an overt meaning underlined by particular connotations. When these meanings and connotations cannot be expressed in other terms, it is appropriate to use swears to convey them.

As it happens, many of the negative sentiments exemplified by curses are considered inappropriate to express in certain situations. Because swears have more negative connotations than positive, they bear a stigma regardless of their context. From this inability to establish separations between the underlying meanings of swears results taboos and censorship.

When somebody uses swear words in every single sentence, it can definitely get annoying. By the same nature, any type of vocabulary used repeatedly gets annoying. I'm not sure why it is so taboo though. Why is it alright for somebody to say "poop" or "crap" but not "shit" I find it extremely annoying when people use replacements for swear words and then turn around and get offended when they hear the actual swear word. If two words have identical meanings, then it seriously does not matter which word is used.

Also, The Catcher in the Rye is an extremely popular book with a lot of profanity. I personally think it is one of the worst books in the history of the universe though (the swearing had very little to do with my opinion on the material).

Edit: Basically agreeing 100% with the post above mine.

Swearing is not a symptom of a limited vocabulary; excessive swearing is. This is not a unique phenomenon: it applies to any word, not just swearing.
mhm. the myth that swearers must have a limited vocabulary comes from the fact that there really aren't that many swear words in the english language, meaning people who swear often repeat themselves often.

the idea of words having inherent meaning and instantly causing offense is pretty ludicrous. words have no meanings outside of their context. as such, i dropped the idea of "swear words" a long time ago and i integrate most of them into my vocabulary as i would any other word.

but then, a lot of brilliant authors disagree strongly with me. mark twain, for example, would have killed himself before inserting swears into one of his books.

Alchemator

this is a terrible comparison and i know you know that, alch
My point is that many things are based on ideals rather than what they might actually achieve, so bringing practicality into the argument is fairly pointless.

On Justin's point about some swear words being more offensive than others, I think it could be something to do with the sound of the word. Of course, I'm no expert, but I'd wager that 'open' sounds like the 'ah' in 'crap' are easier on the ear than the 'closed' sounds of 'sh' and 'ih' in 'shit'.

Then again I could be speaking complete bullshit. Or twaddle, if you prefer.

On Justin's point about some swear words being more offensive than others, I think it could be something to do with the sound of the word. Of course, I'm no expert, but I'd wager that 'open' sounds like the 'ah' in 'crap' are easier on the ear than the 'closed' sounds of 'sh' and 'ih' in 'shit'.
masterfully explaining the (BAN ME PLEASE)/nigga phenomenon???????

Casual swearing has become rather commonplace in this day and age. At this point, most swear words' shock value has long worn off. They still have a valuable place in literature, however, as their use can reflect the trend of casual swearing in our society. Meanwhile, saying, "Gosh darnit please conduct an expedition forthwith elsewhere!" comes off as rather snooty, and something that few outside of uppity English professors would ever really say. "Fuck off!" has a much better ring to it, I think.

I'm also working on a book, and the characters within it (well, at least several of them) swear somewhat constantly. The second sentence of the book actually starts with "Fucking"; readers will know what they're getting into and can put it down from there if they feel any offense. Casual swearing in this case is indicative of my character's hedonistic lifestyles; if anyone really finds the word "fuck" to be too much, they probably wouldn't want to read about the sex, drugs, booze, fighting, stealing, gambling, etc. that occurs throughout the rest of the story... And, I should note, none of that is actually there for shock value; they're all just traits of an excessive, hedonistic lifestyle.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
I used to never swear until about 3-4 years ago. That was basically when I began. The amount I swore slowly increased until it became unbearable. There was a point when the usage of swear words was funny, when I said it; but after a point it just got annoying. Until a few months ago, I probably couldn't say a sentence without uttering "fuck" or "cunt" or "dickface" or something of that nature. Thanks to assistance and pestering from a dear friend, this habit slowly decreased. I think it is great to use swear words, but if done in a limited fashion, or else it just becomes annoying. It's just like any other phrase. If used too much, it's annoying, otherwise, it holds its effect.

Tmon put it best, Fuck is the most versatile word in the dictionary. Doesn't mean we lack in our vernacular...

I've heard 5th or 6th graders swearing every other word. Everyone already knows all the swear words and are used to them by the time they finish grade school. You should probably avoid swearing outside of dialogue in your book, but it's perfectly fine if you want to make your characters swear. Just make sure you want them to come off that way.

Also, swear words have not completely lost their effects. Swearing can make pain more tolerable.

Alchemator

DDRMaster, I find your points particularly interesting. I don't mean to cause offence, but I think there are certain parts of what you say which are almost involuntary.

I've heard 5th or 6th graders swearing every other word. Everyone already knows all the swear words and are used to them by the time they finish grade school. You should probably avoid swearing outside of dialogue in your book, but it's perfectly fine if you want to make your characters swear. Just make sure you want them to come off that way.
So the general consensus is that swearing is fine in literature to convey character, but if it's fine there, why not elsewhere? I suppose a question to the other prominent view in this thread (i.e. "swearing is fine") is "Where should swearing not be included?"

For example, should you wake up in the morning to the BBC News or CNN or whatever to have them say "There's been a really fucking bad oil spill in the Gulf."? Obviously it seems somewhat ludicrous on the first reading since it's in such contrast to what we're used to, but if swearing no longer causes offence etc. would it be fine to have it enter every form of media?

I suppose this comes across as somewhat antagonistic, but I'm genuinely curious as to where people might draw the line.

E: At the post below.

Seneschal said:
I can't really take the point about the sound of the words seriously - if shit is offensive, then why isn't shot, or ship, or any number of similar sounding words.
Haha I'm not sure you should -- like I said, I'm no expert; it was just a suggestion. Still, the point was about some swear words being more offensive in comparison to others, whereas you seem to be focussed on what makes swearing offensive at all.

One of my favourite books is 'The Knife of Never Letting Go' by Patrick Ness. The main characters are youngish teens who consistently uses the word 'effing', and so when one of them actually does finally say 'fuck' it really brings home just how serious the situation is. So I guess what I'm saying is that swearing can be used to highlight and support strong emotions and scenes when it's only used sparingly or not at all elsewhere (which is basically what Destiny Warrior said, but whatever, it's a point worth repeating). If you're aiming for realism, then you should of course consider whether the language your characters use reflects how they would talk in real life. Then again, although on one level it annoys me that bad guys in old movies had to use pseudo-swear words like 'heck' and 'darn' because of censorship, it would definitely seem out of place for them to be calling each other cunts or what have you, so you should definitely consider the tone of the work as well.

I can't really take the point about the sound of the words seriously - if shit is offensive, then why isn't shot, or ship, or any number of similar sounding words. The meanings of the words themselves don't seem to be indications either, as otherwise we couldn't and wouldn't have synonyms for swear words (why is shit a swear word but faeces isn't? Obviously you wouldn't use either word in polite conversation, but one of them still has a much greater social stigma than the other despite identical meaning). The whole concept of swear words is outdated in modern society as far as I'm concerned; they're only ever offensive when used in an offensive context, which is the same as every other word.

The whole debacle regarding the film 'Bully' recently is one example of ridiculous, outdated notions regarding swearing dominating common sense. As a Brit I can't believe that film studios in America willingly entrust their ratings to an organisation which has seemingly no transparency and can't understand that a film about teens, which realistically depicts teens swearing and deals with an issue important to thousands if not millions of teens, is somehow unsuitable for a teenage audience because of a few swear words.

When writing a book, I have to agree that it really should not be used out of dialogue. For example, which seems more professional:
"Bob approached the enormous sculpture"
"Bob approached the really fucking big sculpture"

On my opinion on swear words in general, they're just words with a negative connotation, and if you're offended by them, please shut up now (save (BAN ME PLEASE), which is a racial slur and should offend everyone in a just world). Take fuck/fucking/etc. for example. Its a word used for emphasis, much like "too," "highly," and "very." Do you have a limited vocabulary if you use those words?

Also, take into consideration that language is always evolving and changing. Take the word "pants." If you walked into a street in 19th century England and uttered that word, people would look at you the same way as if you said "(BAN ME PLEASE)" now, while if you walked into the street and said "(BAN ME PLEASE)" in 19th century England, people would wonder who you are referring to and not really care.

I think swearing is as bad as the receiving person makes it, if you catch my drift. I don't really care if people swear in my presence or even direct it at me, but I know some people who are highly offended by words like ''(BAN ME PLEASE)'' and make a really big deal out of it. It's just what you make of it, I guess. I don't necessarily think swearing shows a lacking vocabulary, though excessive swearing does (but so does overusing every word or expression).

I'm Dutch, and over here in The Netherlands swearing with diseases is very common, something I disapprove of (though I must admit I do it sometimes too). I don't mind someone saying 'fuck' or something, but people 'wishing' (by lack of a better expression) eachother cancer (a swear that's getting quite common, and appears to be losing its shock value too) is just tasteless.

Regarding swearing in media, I think it's fine, as long as its used for the right purpose. Swearing all the time can be part of a character, or show great surprise. Overusing it will leave a bad impression, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)