SM OU Swords Dancing in a Burning Room

Intro:

Hey everyone! This is my first Gen 7 RMT as well as my first serious RMT I've ever done. I really started to try and learn how to build teams, how to play competitively, and how the meta works roughly a month ago. I've put in a lot of work into building and rebuilding many teams and I've finally been able to put together a semi-decent one after this month long learning process so I'd appreciate all the feedback and pointers I can get! Lastly, I'd like to give a shout-out to all those who responded to me when I messaged them asking for help before I knew what I was doing and a special shout-out to Twilight and MFJr King who have put up with me and helped IMMENSELY throughout the building/learning process. I hope you enjoy my first RMT!

The Team:

tapubulu.gif
gliscor.gif
heatran.gif
tornadus-therian.gif
latios-mega.gif
tyranitar.gif

At a Glance:

I built this team around SD Bulu with SD Gliscor and Heatran to round out the core. Bulu is the focal point and win condition of this team: It is bulky, has some serious raw power and it's main STAB attack hits everything super hard and keeps Bulu healthy providing him with some longevity in conjunction with grassy terrain. I feel that these three mons have some serious synergy with one another as Bulu destroys Gliscor's checks such as water types and fat teams. Heatran fits in well because (besides the fact heatran fits in everywhere these days) it covers common weaknesses between the two such as Ice and benefits from recovery/halved EQ damage as a result of Bulu's grassy terrain. Overall, the team seems to do really well against most types of teams but can really suffer vs specific mons if you don't play around them properly (which tends to happen given my experience level).

P.S. All EV spreads were found either through the smogon dex or from other RMT's that explained their sets well but I have since forgotten which posts had the sets I copied so sorry if you aren't mentioned.

Team Building Process:

tapubulu.gif

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 216 HP / 96 Atk / 196 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Synthesis​

Ah Bulu. My one true love. This mon is actually insane. It's raw power and bulk, passive recovery with grassy terrain, active recovery with a very strong STAB move and synthesis as well as it's access to coverage options and SD just makes for one hell of a death machine. I tried out a few different SD sets, some careful nature, some full 252 EV's in attack, and none really gave me the same advantages that this set has given me. This EV spread allows me to tank hits reliably from nearly all neutral and resisted attacks while allowing me to recover HP through Horn Leech and synthesis as well as giving me the ability to use Bulu as a switch in should I need to preserve other win cons depending on the specific matchup. One of the biggest advantages of this set is it lets me reliably take two hydro pumps from specs ash gren and OHKO in return with a horn leech (not to mention, fully recovering my HP after grassy terrain recovery). Also, this set shuts down rain teams completely and helps in the matchup mons like specs Koko.

Moveset: Horn Leech and Swords Dance are givens as they are the staple of this set as well as some reliable recovery in Synthesis. The coverage move I chose was Superpower with fightinium Z because this can nail heatran/chansey/kartana etc. I prefer this over grassium Z because it allows me to use superpower twice without sacrificing any power and continue sweeping.

gliscor.gif

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Def / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Roost
SD Gliscor tends to take a backseat to a lot of mons. The problem with Gliscor is it sorta forfeits the ability to use Zygarde and Lando-T in most situations which is essentially ruling out two of the top 3 mons in the metagame. On the plus side, Gliscor can actually rip through teams when set up and has pretty decent bulk with strong recovery in toxic heal and roost. The spread allows me to reliably take two hits from a banded Zygarde and outspeed max speed heatran.

Moveset: Standard moveset here except I chose ice fang over facade to reliably 2HKO defensive Lando-T after SD and switch intimidate and to beat opposing Gliscors as well as hitting Zygarde, Garchomp, and M-Pinsir for solid damage on the switch.

heatran.gif

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock​

I feel like this mon almost needs no explanation. I can't remember where I got this EV spread but holy fuck I love it. It takes hits from everything short of water/ground types. It forces out Torn-T while still outspeeding some defensive mons and the extra special bulk helps vs psyspam although that's still a pretty tough matchup as mons like lele/zam generally carry focus blast.

Moveset: protect and toxic to stall out win cons like DD M-Charizard X as well as to mess with M-Medi when they go for that free HJK. Lava plume is more than enough to kill mons like ferrothorn and also tends to burn things more often on switch in which is really nice if I choose to go for that instead of toxic. Lastly, I use heatran as my rocker because I can often force switches throughout the entire match with it.

tornadus-therian.gif

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog​

Alright, now for the supporting cast. I was lacking some serious speed here so that tends to be part of the focus from here on out. Torn-T is a really strong mon because of it's access to defog, ability to switch in on mons like bulu, tangrowth, kartana, and others, as well as it's regenerator ability. Rocky helmet is to cripple mons on a switch in/u-turn such as kartana/scizor. Standard EV spread.

Moveset: Standard here as well. U-turn is really strong on this team and, in conjunction with knock off, helps with tough mons to deal with. Honestly, I hate hurricane with a burning passion. It screws me a lot but when it hits... OH MAN is it glorious.

latios-mega.gif

Latios-Mega @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Roost​

Latios is an extremely strong mega in this meta with an interesting role as sort of a utility/coverage mon that can still wreak havoc. It checks Toxapex, M-Venusaur and helps with matchups against opposing Gliscors, Bulu's, and Lando-T and Kartana.

Moveset: Standard moveset here.

tyranitar.gif

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
Definitely the most intriguing part of the team. OMG IT'S A SCARF T-TAR!! At this point, the team was still slower than I wanted it to be and unfortunately most scarf options really don't fit (that I thought of anyways). Furthermore, I auto-lose to M-Pinsir and M-Latios/Latias were difficult to deal with while also allowing me to revenge kill SD Kartana, Ferrothorn, Magnezone, opposing T-Tar's and giving me another answer to Koko/Heatran.

Moveset: I believe this is fairly standard here as well. Stone edge for the M-Pinsir, Volcarona and Kyurem-B matchups which are three of the biggest threats to this team and Superpower for the aforementioned revenge killings. Crunch and Pursuit are necessary.

Threat List:
Volc.png
This thing is extremely dangerous and can destroy this team if it's running HP ground and gets a quiver dance off. The best way to play is get rocks up early and keep heatran/tornadus alive. Unfortunately, Heatran cannot OHKO this thing and Torn requires a hurricane to land in order to hit it. Other than that, this team has no answers to this mon.

Lele.png
Zam.png
Lele/Alakazam can be issues for this team mainly because they always carry coverage moves that wreck any switch ins. You can somewhat play around it with Bulu as it can take a hit from Zam and OHKO back but that's about the teams only answer. Bulu can swap in but there's a 25% Zam 2HKO's (and those odds never seem to favor me). Lele is trickier as with grassy terrain, Bulu can take 2 hits without attack and reliably 1v1 Lele if I swap Bulu into Lele. But if Lele switches in on Bulu things become more complicated. The upside is if Lele isn't scarfed then Torn can get a u-turn off putting it in range of a crunch from T-Tar. Either way, these mons pose serious challenges and really play perfectly.

Pinsi.png
M-Pinsir is an issue if it's running CC because switch-in's become a gamble. T-Tar will outspeed and OHKO with stone edge but if I miss and Pinsir gets a CC off, it'll be tough to handle. Thankfully, it can also be played around with Torn-T and Lati as they outspeed as well so it can be handled with smart play.

Kyu.png
Kyurem-B with Icium Z is frustrating because really, there's no switch in for the Z move. Other ice types can be difficult to deal with as well like mamoswine and weavile but those are much easier targets than Kyurem as switch-ins are much more dangerous against this mon. Heatran can take it but will be OHKO's by earth power directly after so you have to predict the Z and then double into T-Tar and just wear it down. If you think it's going to swap into Bulu, then nail it with All-Out-Pummeling.

Honorable Mentions:
Ash Gren.png
Gren.png

All variants of Gren are difficult but can be played around with Bulu. Be wary of Ice beam Protean Gren.
Gya.png

While uncommon, gyarados with bounce is annoying as hell. Definitely workable but probably one of the most annoying sets for this team.

Attachments

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi jakeyd12, very nice team. Especially for someone who's only played for a month. Both SD Bulu and Gliscor are great pokemon right now. The team also seems very solid, but like most teams has weaknesses to things such as M-Alakazam, especially the Modest set. I won't go into detail about the threats since you seem to have covered them all. So I'll suggest changes that should help improve the team.

Major changes

797.png> 641-s.png: The first change I suggest is using SpDef Celesteela over Tornadus. This helps alot in the matchup against M-Alakazam or Psychic spam in general. Thanks to it's high bulk and Leech Seed + Protect it can completely wall Alakazam and Tapu Lele easily. Celesteela also helps in the M-Pinsir matchup, being a great flying resist that isn't weak to ground or fighting. It can still switch into Kartana and Tapu Bulu most of the time aswell, the main thing it loses is Defog which I'll fix in the next change. The Celesteela spread is fully SpDef since most people use that, but if you know of a more optimal spread to use then go ahead.

380-m.pnglatiasite.png> 381-m.pnglatiosite.png: The next change I suggest is using support M-Latias over M-Latios. This will replace your defogger, and M-Latias is also a decent switch-in and check to things like Kartana, Tapu Bulu, Gliscor, Landorus and Heatran. The spread is max HP and Speed to switch into but also outspeed everything mentioned above. The moveset is Defog, Roost, Ice Beam to hit everything mentioned above (apart from Heatran) along with Zygarde and Hawlucha. Then Surf to hit Heatran and Tyranitar. Overall M-Latias supports the team well since I removed Tornadus.

Minor Change

485.pngUtility > SpDef: Now that I added SpDef Celesteela I would change the Heatran to the Utility set with max Speed. This lets you outspeed offensive Tapu Bulu and Magearna, both of which are threatening with Fightinium Z. It's still very bulky, not as bulky as SpDef but it doesn't need to switch into as much if you have Celesteela, so I figured more insurance against Bulu + Magearna was worth it. The set is the standard Magma Storm + Earth Power with Toxic and Stealth Rocks. No Protect hurts the M-Medicham matchup though.

~~~

The team is a bit slower without Tornadus, but you still have decent revenge-killers in Tyranitar and M-Latias.

Celesteela is a solid second steel type that helps with the things Heatran can't take on. M-Latias is basically a bulkier M-Latios who is also a decent defogger.

Below I'll leave the Import of the new team along with a few threats to be careful of. I hope you like these changes and Good luck :]
658.png: Protean Greninja, who was mentioned in the original threatlist is still threatening. With Ice Beam + Low Kick or Hydro Pump it can hit the whole team very hard. You'll have to switch around to scout the set and bring in something that can take a hit, such as Celesteela or M-Latias.

308-m.png: M-Medicham, who has very few viable walls can also break holes in the team now that Tornadus is gone. M-Latias can switch in and outspeed but doesn't appreciate repeated Ice Punches. Tyranitar can revenge-kill/trap after Medicham has taken damage but can't switch in except on a predicted Ice Punch/Zen Headbutt.

462.png: Magnezone itself isn't a threat, but trapping Celesteela can make other things threatening, such as M-Alakazam and M-Pinsir obviously. It isn't impossible to outplay, but you can also try something like Earthquake on Celesteela to OHKO it on the switch-in.

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Roost

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Defog
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

hey, nice team you got here. i really like both sd bulu and sd gliscor as they are wincons that went unnoticed for a long time and are fairly good right now. in addition, i think it has most of the elements of structure on a good team. however, i think there are a few issues. i agree that mega alakazam is annoying for the team, especially the modest set. this only really appreciates coming in on one member which is mega latios. i think there are bigger issues including rain and rain abusers like specs ash gren can deal a lot of damage to tapu bulu. in addition, heatran is well overwhelmed here, where it is the sole answer to pokemon such as tapu lele, mega scizor and celesteela. i also think ice beam calm mind clefable is a massive threat to the team, which has considerably gained in popularity and abuses the fact that it is not taunt heatran or banded tyranitar. i do not completely agree with the above rate as i think that the team becomes quite slow after those changes and still has heatran overwhelmed, but i do think it is something to try out. more uncommon fire types than heatran like volcarona, charizard-mega-y, charizard-mega x and blacephalon are all annoyances for the team. protean greninja is not as easy matchup either

the first change i suggest is to run payapa toxapex > mega latios. at first, this might seem weird to replace latios-mega because it is the best mega in the tier. however, i think that mega latios has limited utility on this team. the team already has a fairly solid kartana check in rocky helmet tornadus-t + protect heatran and toxapex can also help you scout which move it locks itself into. given that this team has gliscor and no mon is extraordinarily pex weak. toxapex also helps you with this. i also think toxapex pairs well with the rest of your team as it helps tapu bulu get rid of tspikes and eases against rain and can check protean greninja which bulu struggles with. It helps other members as it releases the pressure on heatran by luring and toxiccing tapu lele and forms a regenerator core with tornadus-t. toxapex also gives you a way to beat less common fire types. removing mega latios makes mega alakazam less threatening and try to toxic it as it becomes far harder to outplay if you burn it. however, this makes your kartana matchup slightly worse.

lastly, i would recommend changing the tornadus-t spread to 252 HP/ 40 Def/ 216 Spe with a timid nature to maximize the defense evs while still outspeeding the relevant benchmark in scarf tyranitar. this helps with supersonic skystrike landorus-t, kartana, and tapu bulu.

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Roost

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)